Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,241 members, 7,836,150 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi (476 Views)

Amotekun: Osinbajo, South-west Govs, Security Officials May Meet This Week / BREAKING: Buhari Meets With Northern Govs, Security Chiefs / Dogara Dares El-Rufai To Publish Security Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by Nkemakonam62: 6:48am On May 02, 2017
Former governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, has described security votes as unconstitutional and the “biggest source of waste” in Nigeria.

Speaking at The Platform, a programme organised by Covenant Christian Centre in Lagos, yesterday, Obi said ex-governors should be made to account for security votes.

“Let me tell Nigerians; there is nothing in our Constitution called security votes. Anybody who tell you that is lying. It is a terminology that was formulated over the years, from one thing or the other. What we have is Contingency Fund.

“I can say today that it is being abused, it has become our biggest source of waste. Security vote is not supposed to be more than two, three, maximum four percent of security votes. Today, it is 20, 30 percent of expenditure.

“Just to show you how bad it is, somebody told me that my security votes can be as much as N12 billion, so, N1 billion per month? So, I said ‘fine, how much have we given to primary schools per year?’

“They said we have 1,040 primary schools, I said, ‘fine, if we give the primary schools five, five million naira, it will amount to N5 billion per year.’ We have 257 secondary schools and I said we would give each N10 million per year and these are things you can check.

“So, they removed it from the remaining seven and I said we have four critical hospitals built by the churches. We didn’t have any School of Nursing, School of Midwifery when I started, and these hospitals were functional.

“Though they were not owned by government, I included one built by a Bishop and said we will share N1 billion with these five hospitals. By the time I finished, everything was reduced to about N2.5 billion. I said ‘this is the maximum that we would allocate to security votes.

“Apart from Lagos, I provided the highest number of vehicles to the Police, bought vehicles from every community in Anambra. I had excess.

“From the excess, I gave N1 million to every Anambrarian (indigene of Anambra) who had a First Class degree, which I did for about 500 of them. They are all over the place now.
more at http://www.akelicious.com/2017/05/scrap-govs-security-votes-peter-obi.html

Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by CLASSMAN: 6:55am On May 02, 2017
After enjoying same y not return urs first

1 Like

Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by OAUTemitayo: 6:56am On May 02, 2017
Are you sure it's not the wristwatch tales again?
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by izombie(m): 6:58am On May 02, 2017
Whatz a security vote?
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by izombie(m): 6:58am On May 02, 2017
CLASSMAN:
After enjoying same y not return urs first
sooo
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by IBpaul(m): 7:06am On May 02, 2017
izombie:
sooo
He who has cross the bridge now says let d bridge fall.
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by Nobody: 7:12am On May 02, 2017
These were clauses used/introduced by PDP to kill this country
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by izombie(m): 7:17am On May 02, 2017
IBpaul:

He who has cross the bridge now says let d bridge fall.
where does the bridge lead to?
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by izombie(m): 7:18am On May 02, 2017
kenonze:
so apc should continue using the same clauses to finish the killing abi?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by sinistermind(m): 7:27am On May 02, 2017
Some we attack him now but he is right even if he enjoyed same. Just imagine Rochas Okorocha saying the people of Imo State owes him because he usesd his security vote to work for the state... I read it and it made me want to weep for my country.
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by AlhajiSpray(m): 7:30am On May 02, 2017
This man should shut up!
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by Achuwa1(m): 7:31am On May 02, 2017
Why didn't he say this when he was a governor?
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by Greatigbos(f): 7:33am On May 02, 2017
Correct
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by Boleyndynasty2(f): 7:39am On May 02, 2017
If only most Nigerians have brains they'll ask their leaders to account for their stay in office. Peter Obi made a lot of good points but watch how he'll be attacked over nothing.

Yes he made bogus claims about a 17yrs old watch and stuff, his human so he has to make himself feel good. But that doesn't change the fact that security votes aren't constitutional and our Governors take such ridiculous amount of money monthly for doing absolutely nothing. I keep imagining what all that money will do in our Educational sector or even health care.
Re: Scrap Govs’ Security Votes –peter Obi by Nobody: 7:48am On May 02, 2017
kenonze:
And the metamorphosed apc didn't take in the madness?

(1) (Reply)

Biafra: Why I Can’t Release Kanu – Buhari / 82 Chibok Girls Released : See Pics Now--naijashuu / Ifeanyi Ubah: Against Nigeria's Bad Blood & Hate! - By Tobenna Obiano.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.