Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,785 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? (6030 Views)

774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended / Photos Of Saraki After Senate Reconvened In Abuja / 'You Must Resign' - Akpabio Tells Saraki After Senate Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 9:46am On May 02, 2017
The Nigerian presidential line of succession is the set order of Nigerian government officials who may become or act as President of Nigeria if the incumbent president becomes incapacitated, dies, resigns, or is removed from office (by impeachment).

But I noticed most articles on the line of succession always end with the Senate President, and I would like to know the entire list to who's the least in the succession line!

Lalasticlala, pls would like to have a wider audience. Let's know the entire list in the succession line
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by Adminisher: 9:50am On May 02, 2017
MrKong:
The Nigerian presidential line of succession is the set order of Nigerian government officials who may become or act as President of Nigeria if the incumbent president becomes incapacitated, dies, resigns, or is removed from office (by impeachment).

But I noticed most articles on the line of succession always end with the Senate President, and I would like to know the entire least to who's the least in the succession line!

President
VP
Senate President
Speaker House of Reps
CJN

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 9:52am On May 02, 2017
Adminisher:

President
VP
Senate President
Speaker House of Reps
CJN
That's all?...what if they are somehow *hmmm* Who's next?

The list is too small
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrPolitics: 9:56am On May 02, 2017
I believe the constitution only provides succession down to the SP. If something happens to the top 3 (which will be a very rare case anyway), the speaker of the house and the DSP will battle it out in court.

The speaker might win though because he's APC.

But constitutionally, I believe the DSP shld be higher than the speaker of the house. Afterall, a VP is considered higher than a governor or even a SP even though both gov and SP are #1 in their institutions.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by Mynd44: 10:04am On May 02, 2017
MrPolitics:
I believe the constitution only provides succession down to the SP. If something happens to the top 3 (which will be a very rare case anyway), the speaker of the house and the DSP will battle it out in court.

But constitutionally, I believe the DSP shld be higher than the speaker of the house. Afterall, a VP is considered higher than a governor or even a SP even though both gov and SP are #1 in their institutions.
The speaker comes after the Senate president. The DSP is just there incase the Senate President is not present in the senate and someone has to preside over the senate.

Adminisher:

President
VP
Senate President
Speaker House of Reps
CJN

MrKong:

That's all...what if they are somehow *hmmm* Who's next?

The list is too small

The most senior Career Military officer.

Not the NSA or MinDef oooo then proceed in that fashion
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 10:05am On May 02, 2017
Mynd44:

The speaker comes after the Senate president. The DSP is just there incase the Senate President is not present in the senate and someone has to preside over the senate.

The most senior Career Military officer.

Not the NSA or MinDef oooo then proceed in that fashion
I don't think Military personnels are in the line of succession

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 10:09am On May 02, 2017
MrPolitics:

Court ke?...where's the time for that?...who's going to be in acting capacity for the time they slug it out in court?...who will be attending to urgent matters of state?

1 Like

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:11am On May 02, 2017
The President

Vice President

Senate President (for 3months when election will be held)

Speaker of HOR (for 3months when election will be held)

CJN (for 3months when election will be held)

There is no way calamity will befall all these at same time. This is why all 5 don't travel on the same car/plane at the same time.

Should the above fall at the same time, I think doctrine of necessity will be invoked

1 Like

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 10:13am On May 02, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
The President

Vice President

There is no way calamity will befall all these at same time. This is why all 5 don't travel on the same car/plane at the same time.

Should the above fall at the same time, I think doctrine of necessity will be invoked
This doctrine of necessity, can you explain more?
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by Mynd44: 10:14am On May 02, 2017
MrKong:

I don't think Military personnels are in the line of succession
On second thought, I agree that it ends with the senate president.

But in line of authority, the speaker is 4th
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by sdindan: 10:16am On May 02, 2017
adieu adieu Buhari.
we love u but Allah loves u more.

4 Likes

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:17am On May 02, 2017
MrKong:

Like what happened in 1966 when the Ministers elected an acting PM from among them. So I guess the ministers may appoint one of them to act pending when election is conducted. Same way the NASS leadership may appoint interim leaders to preside over their affairs pending when substantive leaders emerge.
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by Wadasco(m): 10:19am On May 02, 2017
I would like to know the entire list to who's the least in the succession line....!!
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by Wadasco(m): 10:22am On May 02, 2017
MrKong:

remember the kind of Constitution you have in the country, the lacunaz are endless..

1 Like

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by Fmartin(m): 10:23am On May 02, 2017
hmm..
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 10:36am On May 02, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Like what happened in 1966 when the Ministers elected an acting PM from among them. So I guess the ministers may appoint one of them to act pending when election is conducted. Same way the NASS leadership may appoint interim leaders to preside over their affairs pending when substantive leaders emerge.
And that would be after the CJN is incapacitated right?...so the list ends there?
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:39am On May 02, 2017
MrKong:

And that would be after the CJN is incapacitated right?...so the list ends there?
absolutely... it ends with CJN
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 10:40am On May 02, 2017
Wadasco:
remember the kind of Constitution you have in the country, the lacunaz are endless..
Someone has to be the least in the succession line
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 10:42am On May 02, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
absolutely... it ends with CJN
Ok...I guess a member of the cabinet would be next in line
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by abu12: 10:44am On May 02, 2017
president vice president senate president speaker HOR CJN deputy senate president deputy speaker
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by SaintMorris: 9:56am On May 06, 2017
MrKong:

Ok...I guess a member of the cabinet would be next in line
Exactly!
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by nex(m): 12:43pm On Mar 30, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
The President

Vice President

What it they all attend Bola Tinubu Koloquim to show loyalty, and the building collapses?

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by BankeSmalls(f): 12:49pm On Mar 30, 2018
nex:

What it they all attend Bola Tinubu Koloquim to show loyalty, and the building collapses?

grin grin grin

Then a senior member of the opposition takes over, someone like FFK grin

1 Like

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:53pm On Mar 30, 2018
nex:

CJN is not a politician and will not publicly associate with politicians or political figures. The day he do so he loses his seat.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by seunmsg(m): 7:36pm On Mar 30, 2018
nex:

As evil as this your thought is, I find it very hilarious. grin grin grin
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by bimbooyewo: 1:07am On Apr 03, 2019
MrKong:

TonyeBarcanista:
CJN is not a politician and will not publicly associate with politicians or political figures. The day he do so he loses his seat.

Can we say this of the present CJN
Re: Presidential Line Of Succession: Who's Next After Senate President? by MrKong: 11:06am On Apr 03, 2019
bimbooyewo:

Can we say this of the present CJN
The acting or the suspended?

(1) (Reply)

Buhari: Boko Haram Still Active, Preying On Soft Targets / Breaking News! Reports Of Several Explosion In Kano / Hoodlums May Take Over Nigeria – Afenifere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.