Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,404 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu (3647 Views)

Oba Akiolu Arrives For Fashola's Photographic Foundation Ceremony In Style / Oba Rilwan Akiolu's Palace On Fire / Yoruba Man Blasts Oba Akiolu For Snubbing Ooni Via Video Message (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by BornStunner1: 1:30pm On May 04, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

Tobi Lola kemi shewa and shalewa are already sucking my Dogs balls as we speak
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Punk Ass grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin
grin

I don die of laff
Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by KingOvoramwen1(m): 1:31pm On May 04, 2017
BornStunner1:

From Live in Benin to Visited Benin hahahaha typical Yoruba boy ... grin. Come on get lost and go and be disappointed in your ile ice or ogbomoso or wherever you cockroaches live in

Haha you dey mind DAT stinky cockroach

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by KingOvoramwen1(m): 1:32pm On May 04, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

lol, he has changed moniker.
Mumu olodo, when you visit a place and stay there for a while no be "Live" dem dey call that?

Face the niggaa Mofo grin grin grin typical yoruba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by KingOvoramwen1(m): 1:35pm On May 04, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

I felt so much for Benin people cause for real that town is stuck in the middle ages.
Their boys have all become jobless cultists and their ladies have all become ......

Benin don loose the little omoluabi culture left there.
The situation is so sad.

We see what you all do on daily bases from thief thief to ritauls to cannibalism to prostitution na una occupation

I bet we go see another headless body found with a Yoruba headline on nairaland today grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by BornStunner1: 1:37pm On May 04, 2017
[quote author=MasterChen post=56200925]

[s]So that your useless and irrelevant moniker can get me banned. grin

You better focus on your gift cards business and just face front. Once i start, na you go dey beg.

If you like use 10 monikers on the same thread, we go still chow you lol cheesy

You think i have time for your back and forth nonsense

Even Your TD board head superiors don't ball with my moniker talkless of you

Just 4+++koffff before i rub my orange chit in your Ed-hoe mouth cheesy

Useless boy[/[/s]quote]

I don locate another Yaba left Escapee grin grin

Master of shiit.....
Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by BornStunner1: 1:39pm On May 04, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

We see what you all do on daily bases from thief thief to ritauls to cannibalism to prostitution na una occupation

I bet we go see another headless body found with a Yoruba headline on nairaland today grin grin

Them nor sabi pass that one... Very Smelling
Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by KingOvoramwen1(m): 1:44pm On May 04, 2017
[quote author]=BornStunner1 post=56201039][/quote]

grin grin grin grin
grin grin
grin
Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by 9jakool: 2:03pm On May 04, 2017
"Eko" back in the day only referred to Lagos island and co. Current Lagos is a merger of different towns and cities. Ikeja, Agege, otta, Ojo, mushin etc were all towns with their own kings. The British merged this town together and created the Lagos colony which comprised settlemets of Awori, Egba, Ijebu, Remo, and Anago Yoruba groups. Akiolu's domain is only Isale Eko which is like 1% of Lagos, so he has no authority to speak for Lagos. In fact half of Lagos state is occupied by Ijebu/remo people and a lot of the culture that has given Lagos its identity comes from them. All of this is just nonsense, just because of some Benin folktale. Anyways, there are more than 50 Yoruba kings in Lagos all in charge of their own domain of Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by ODVanguard: 2:47pm On May 04, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Na Only one smallish Yoruba subgroup (The Ikales) dey give you lot Nightmare for Joint authority of Owena-Benin.
Wetin go come happen if anything joins Edo with the rest of Yorubaland?

Your tribe will be swallowed up in 25 years.

Binis allege marginalization by Ikale Ondos in Benin Owena River Basin Authority
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/binis-allege-marginalization-benin-owena-river-basin-authority-2/

Na that fear make dia baale of bini to agitate to leave Western region back then as e don already see the handwriting on the wall say im people and culture were endangered species in the face of the ever menacing Yoruba culture. Even today sef, their fortunes continue to dwindle culturally as they're surrounded on both their Western (Yoruba) and Eastern (Yigbo) frontiers by more domineering cultures that are still threatening to render them culturally extinct in no more than 2-generations from now.

7 Likes

Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by tolugar: 2:57pm On May 04, 2017
[quote author=enimooko post=56191696]But ever noticed the groupings of persons saying so.. [/quote

No
I don't categorize
Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by AbakalikiPress: 3:00pm On May 04, 2017
ODVanguard:

Na that fear make dia baale of bini to agitate to leave Western region back then as e don already see the handwriting on the wall say im people and culture were endangered species in the face of the ever menacing Yoruba culture. Even today sef, their fortunes continue to dwindle culturally as they're surrounded on both their Western (Yoruba) and Eastern (Yigbo) frontiers by more domineering cultures that are still threatening to render them culturally extinct in no more than 2-generations from now.

loool

How about igoodo ni dodo empire and Ogiri iso king?

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Lagos Does Not Belong To Yorubas – Oba Akiolu by I888(m): 6:26pm On Mar 04, 2019
YonkijiSappo:

Not just Oro.
There is also Egungun, Eyo festival, Igunnuko (borrowed from Tapas) etc all over Lagos.
Lagos is essentially Yorubaland. That the Oba of Ibini at one point in history exercised some influence over Lagos Island, does not mean Lagos is not Yorubaland.
Besides there is no native Benin tribal people anywhere close to Lagos, what happened in Lagos Island is some infusion of migrants from Benin into the Base Awori-Yoruba population of Isale Eko.
And lastly, Lagos Island eventually gained its sovereignty from Benin influence between the 1700s and the 1800s when it became soo rich from slave trading and other activities that it simply cut off any links it had with Benin

So, I don't understand what some funny bloggers and news poachers are saying. This is simply wat happens when history is not taught in schools.
Do you realise that the name Eko was given by the first Oba of Lagos, being the son of the Benin king at that time.

why is Lagos different in Name when compared to other Yoruba states? I mean Osun, Ekiti, Ogun, Oyo are all yoruba names BUT Eko or Lagos are not Yoruba names?

This thing you wrote here can not even be found on Wikipedia which clearly stated that the Aworis/Benin where the first occupant and the Awories allowed the first Oba to rule. The first Oba was the son of the Benin king at that time. That settles it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Carnival 2013 (exclusive Photos) / Urhobo Women Don't Shake Hands With Men. / Ukwuani And Igbo Are They Really The Same.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.