Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,056 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK (3199 Views)

South African Lady Celebrates Househelp Who Graduated With Degree In Psychology / Lady Mocked By Her Friends Who Graduated Before Her, 2 Years Later This Happened / Beautiful Lady Who Graduated With Third Class Shares Her Touching Story (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Youngadvocate(m): 1:37pm On May 04, 2017
It was a rare accomplishment and one that underscores the essence of motivation and competition, as two Igbo sons who lived together as roommates at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK), determined to bag academic excellence motivated themselves to aim First class honours each after four years in the school.

Both brilliant lads seemed to have a lot in common aside having same middle Igbo name, Henry Ikenna Ozor and Joshua Ikenna Akuchi, they were both classmates in secondary school, and when they met as undergraduates in the faculty of Engineering of UNIZIK, they became roommates and their hard work paid off as they both graduated after four years from their respective departments of same faculty.

According to Naij.com, Henry who hails from Iwollo in Ezeagu local government area of Enugu state, finished with a 4.85CGPA to become the best graduating student in the entire faculty of Engineering. While Joshua who hails from Ezza North local government in Ebonyi state, finished with a 4.66CGPA and emerged the best graduating student of the Mechanical Engineering department.

The pair seem to always challenge each other, because when they represented UNIZIK at the national Engineering competition which was organised by the Committee of Deans of Engineering and Technology (CODET), Joshua emerged the first runner-up while Henry came in second.

Narrating their journey and their success story to CAMPUSLIFE, the pair who went to school on scholarship said:

Henry: “As an indigent student, I had a challenge of paying my fee. I remember I could not pay school fees and house rent when I was in 100-Level. I would have lost my admission, because I had no financial support. I searched for scholarship, and I wrote many examinations as possible. By the grace of God, I got scholarship from ABC Transport Company, Shell Petroleum Development Company and Chevron/Agbami Joint Venture. I was also encouraged and financially supported by Allied Energy. The money I got from these companies yearly helped me to pay my fees and buy books.”

Joshua: “I squatted in a friend’s hostel for about eight months when I was in 100-Level until I got money to pay my rent. Like Henry, I also applied and wrote many scholarship examinations. I was able to get Agbami Chevron/Agbami Joint Venture scholarship, which helped to pay my school fees.”

When asked how their parents reacted to news that they were the valedictorians of their departments, they said:

Henry: “My parents were over excited, because of the challenges they experienced in getting me to the level I am today.”

Joshua: “My mum was overjoyed, though she expected it. She could not believe it when it was confirmed. My dad said he wanted to keep hearing the testimony of how I made it happen and each time he hears it, it is breaking news to him.”

Henry: “I have always had successful and hardworking people around me. So, I draw energy and motivation from them. I would say that God’s favour made it happen, but I enjoy reading in the night except at weekends. Most of the time, I came back from night class around 5:30am to sleep before going for lectures. After lectures, I would return to my hostel to prepare for night reading. After sleeping for two to three hours, I would wake up to go for fellowship. From there, I would go for night reading till the following morning.”

Joshua: “My daily routine is similar to Henry’s; only that I slept for more hours than I studied.”

The pair opened up on their sole desires, they hope their academic records will be broken soon by their junior colleagues.

Henry: “The only thing that kills a mission is distraction. I will advise my junior colleagues to design a plan and timetable, because they cannot be reading at random and expect to have a well-structured result. They should try to summarize their lecture note and textbooks in their own understanding for better concentration, comprehension and retention. If, after reading, and one cannot clearly understand key concepts and highlights of a course, then it is a clear sign that such a person did not understand it or he may be cramming. I equally believe that everyone has its own way of achieving excellence. What is needed is self-discovery.”

Joshua: “Academic excellence is achievable for students who wish to attain enviable feat and height in their studies. They must carefully choose their friends, dedicate quality time to studies and be ambitions. They must always make up for lost time. The Almighty God is the pillar of all wisdom and knowledge.

http://igbobia.com/?q=see-the-two-igbo-sons-who-graduated-with-first-class-as-roommates-from-unizik.html

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Young03(m): 1:38pm On May 04, 2017
Birds of the same feather always flocks together
good

4 Likes

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by dapizy02(m): 1:39pm On May 04, 2017
Ma mehn dem
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Youngadvocate(m): 1:39pm On May 04, 2017
Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by dapizy02(m): 1:39pm On May 04, 2017
Young03:
Birds of the same feather always flocks together

good

U don fly enta FTC
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Youngadvocate(m): 1:40pm On May 04, 2017
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Young03(m): 1:42pm On May 04, 2017
dapizy02:

U don fly enta FTC

its like ur not conversant with my moniker, i make front page about 11tyms in a day, i mean FTC oo
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by dapizy02(m): 1:46pm On May 04, 2017
Young03:

its like ur not conversant with my moniker, i make front page about 11tyms in a day, i mean FTC oo

Tuale, Neva made FTC since day 1 of ma registration.
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by squarelead(m): 1:47pm On May 04, 2017
I appreciate you both. Its not easy to have over 4.5 in the Uni. Few first class every year. Its not a determination of fulfilment in life tho but its good to be one of the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by kennyjam: 2:04pm On May 04, 2017
Nice Feat....God Bless..
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 04, 2017
Me and my two buddies made third class back then. It wasn't easy. If not for God and the help of small small expo here and there, na Pass I for graduate with. Na me dull pass for the 3 of us.

Lalasticlala come take this thread enter permanent site to inspire our youth.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by gurunlocker: 5:28pm On May 04, 2017
Young03:

But why? FTC 11 times a day and that is your greatest achievement..... See as you dey talk am like say dem dey share money.
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Greenylee(m): 6:44pm On May 04, 2017
This is indeed a rare feet
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by nairaeye: 6:49pm On May 04, 2017
wow, I love that. Congrats
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 04, 2017
LastMumu:
Me and my two buddies made third class back then. If not for God and the help of small small expo here and there, I almost dropped to a pass. I was the dullest.
I dey fee your story,any advice for the boys? gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by emmayodata(m): 8:04pm On May 04, 2017
LastMumu:
Me and my two buddies made third class back then. It wasn't easy. If not for God and the help of small small expo here and there, na Pass I for graduate with. Na me dull pass for the 3 of us.

4 Likes

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Afonjanightmare(m): 8:10pm On May 04, 2017
Igbos are greater than every other grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 04, 2017
skillful01:
I dey fee your story,any advice for the boys? gringringrin

First, ensure you make at least a 2:1 in school, it's going to open doors for you in the labour market. Life after school is a different and bigger struggle.
Secondly, try to build the right network and hone the right skills from school. Move with the right people, learn the important skills, have a target, stay focused. You have just 4 or 5 years to spend in school, whatever happens in that little 4 or 5 years will most likely determine how your life will play out, optimize your time in school well.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by gqboyy(m): 9:22pm On May 04, 2017
Congrats, they say show me your friend and I will tell you who you are. May the sky be your limits
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Spainze007(m): 9:37pm On May 04, 2017
It's not a joke
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by PenisCaP: 11:00pm On May 04, 2017
Kudos more grease to ur brains
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by crackhouse(m): 11:04pm On May 04, 2017
Good for them but unfortunately Nigeria as a country don't really give a fu.c k about this.
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 04, 2017
First class (in naija) is a name of any person, animal, place or thing.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Depreacherman(m): 11:58pm On May 04, 2017
That's my bros..... kudos bro
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Chukwuka16: 12:09am On May 05, 2017
Kudos to you guys!

Irrespective of what people might say, these guys have just distinguished themselves. It is always nice to see people set goals in life and achieve it, especially in areas where many people fail. If first class was that easy, everyone would have it. Furthermore, they have just ensured that all through life, they would never have regrets regarding bachelors study. Considering the school they attended (UNIZIK), I am confident that these folks would be capable of utilizing the advantage to secure better opportunities quickly (scholarship/funding etc. or work). They have also set a good example for NLders who are undergraduates to emulate. These guys won't have to explain a lot to potential employers or assessors because their class of degree is an instant attraction. Rather than spreading your resources thinly among various activities in school, it is always nice to prioritize and dedicate efforts to the core activities that are SUSTAINABLE throughout life.

I'm expecting some backlash from people of how many first class graduates are failures in life and all that stuff. It's quite pitiful how low we could sink as humans to excuse our failures in aspects of life where others have been successful. Some of the world's great minds have been products of very solid education with enviable grades - David Cameron , Okonjo Iweala, Akinwumi Adesina, Condolezza Rice, Aruma Oteh, Al Gore, Ben Bernanke, Henry Kissinger, John F kennedy, Barack Obama (at Harvard) etc. are graduates with either a first class or cum laude. Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates are also ex-students (get into Harvard before commenting on their being drop-outs!). I haven't even delved into other schools like Cambridge, University of London (KCL, ICL, UCL) and other top rated schools all over the world with fantastic graduates making impacts worldwide.

In fact, peepls like El-rufai, Charles Soludo (baba extraordinary), Alex Otti (Ex MD at Diamond Bank) etc. are some other first class graduates from Nigeria with tangible impacts.

It is not enough to sample some couple folks who are still struggling to find their locus or have not been able to fully maximize their advantage and make general statements on how fruitless bagging a first class is. Also, it is our attitude to talk low of achievements like this that has led to the eroding 'omo luabi' culture of discipline, hardwork, contentment and excellence. We now have an increase of reality shows and baby mamas and other crap. Students are no longer interested in reading, they are more keen on engaging in malpractices etc.

Before, we begin to talk about learning - vis-a-vis its essence and application of what is learnt in school to real life scenarios, we have to get the foundation right which starts by appreciating hard work any where it is seen.

To these folks, I say Iba!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by cornelin(m): 8:07am On May 05, 2017
dapizy02:

Tuale, Neva made FTC since day 1 of ma registration.

To make FTC is very easy to achieve. Just go to the Nairaland dashboard and click new. There you will see a lot of new potential and front page worthy topics you can clinge on to realise your dreams. That's one sure secret for free

congrats to the Lads for their undeniable feats

1 Like

Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Martinez19(m): 10:34am On May 05, 2017
[quote author=emmayodata post=56212916][/quote] grin grin grin
Re: Meet Two Roommates Who Graduated With First Class In UNIZK by Magjoel(m): 11:41am On May 05, 2017
congrats Henry and Joshua, may God continue to see you through

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb Acceptance Page / Nigerian Universities That Will Merge (2020 And 2021 Jambites) / Oyo Return Of Schools To Missionaries: ‘you Shall Sleep No More’ – MURIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.