Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items (32856 Views)

Why You Should Worry Again About The Central Bank’s New Forex Ban / [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban / Akwa Ibom Manufactures Toothpicks (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by kolade179(m): 6:49pm On May 04, 2017
All bcs of 2019, is this d reason why u said rice will be 10k by June. OK ooooo. Continue.

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by ezioyi(m): 6:50pm On May 04, 2017
I think the problem isn't the government but the people of Nigeria who only want to do buying and selling. The government has come to understand that the presure on the naira is actually coming from this importers who source their dollar from the black market. I suppose by doing what they are doing now it could reduce the number of people who go to the abokis thereby bringing down the exchange rate of the dollar. Forces of demand and supply.
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 04, 2017
Innomach:

The items were not banned but were restricted from officially assessing forex exchange to importing them. The restriction forced importers to start sourcing forex through parallel markets which ofcourse raised the demand for forex at the black market. Now that they have removed the restrictions, it then means that importers can once again officially apply for forex from the banks and not patronize the black marketers and of which they envisage to help crash the dollar rate. I hope you now understands how it relates
yes. thanks for the enlightenment. thought they were banned.
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by nwosu35: 6:54pm On May 04, 2017
Unah Dan tire to BAN. . .

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by bayulll011(m): 6:57pm On May 04, 2017
Splashme:
So, where is that gorilla from Ota Farm? What does he have to say?

I remember how Obasanjo insulted GEJ for allowing importation of toothpick

The man enjoys seizing every opportunity to insult GEJ.

Honestly, Jonathan is too humble for allowing Obasanjo to continue abusing him gleefully at every available opportunity. People will say seniority, but what sort of seniority is that? An old man that is refusing to respect himself.

u 're very shallow and silllly u could not even understand what's up there,ur sense of reasoning is stupe,pathetic and retqrrd,your Hero will still be known as the most cluelessss human ever

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by nextstep(m): 7:10pm On May 04, 2017
JohnXcel:
So you want to tell me we can't produce our own ''toothpicks'' undecided

SMH!

Even if we wanted... still have to import machine... buy generator and fuel... plus who will give you a good supply of raw materials... carton nko? By the time anybody wants to make toothpick... you realize it's far less hassle and less risky to just import.

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by Originalsly: 7:13pm On May 04, 2017
ProfTea20:
silly news.

It should have read CBN lifts IMPORTATION ban on toothpicks, 47 others.

The ban was on importation to protect the Naira and not directly on forex. Besides, this does not have anything to do with forex deregulation.
Poor reporting.
Really? CBN lifts Forex ban on toothpicks ,47 others. means they would resume allocating Forex for the importation of toothpicks, 47 others...they were not banned.
CBN lifts import ban on toothpicks, 47 others means importation of toothpicks was banned ... whether or not you have Forex... and that ban is now lifted.. you are now free to import toothpicks.
Toothpicks need to be banned period....but... guess is a ploy for the rich to get richer!

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by DonCortino: 7:14pm On May 04, 2017
They better unclude 'I better pass my neighbour' generator. Since fashola no wan do anything concerning nepa. Poor man need light to run im small bizz.

Clueless, useless government!! angry

Gej cluenessness dey learn work where bubu own dey.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by sonofthunder: 7:15pm On May 04, 2017
NLchikeeto:
I wonder y they got tired so quick........they shouldn't av banned them in d first place.
dollar exchange would have probably entered 700/800 due to higher demand...

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by uboma(m): 7:19pm On May 04, 2017
What a clueless government.

Palm business may not as lucrative as it was last year since it can now be imported into Nigeria from other countries.

Those that are into Palm Oil storage this year should tread with caution.

Government policies can either make/promote and mar businesses.
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by tugrow(m): 7:20pm On May 04, 2017
OK let see
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by leighcon(m): 7:20pm On May 04, 2017
No, you are for not having an understanding that this is a monetary policy thrust and not fiscal.

martyns303:
Who's the clueless one now, thought they said Jonathan was a slowpoke for signing the importation of toothpicks, even when the man said he wasn't aware of the content.

I guess bubu is too sick to have reviewed the content.
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by HARDDON: 7:20pm On May 04, 2017
So this calculated move to enrich his northern brothers have run itz cos and they revert huh?

tot it was trial n error fg until recently.....

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by tugrow(m): 7:21pm On May 04, 2017
uboma:
What a clueless government.

Palm business may not as lucrative as it was last year since it can now be imported into Nigeria from other countries.

Those that are into Palm Oil storage this year should tread with caution.

Government policies can either make/promote and mar businesses.
yes that true

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by leighcon(m): 7:26pm On May 04, 2017
No, silly response.

CBN does not have the powers to ban or unban the importation of any item. Rather, what they did was to say that we can now sell forex to those importing these 47 items initially excluded.

These items could still be imported, but you would ha a to source your forex on your own, but now, you can now give CBN naira and they will give you forex.

ProfTea20:
silly news.

It should have read CBN lifts IMPORTATION ban on toothpicks, 47 others.

The ban was on importation to protect the Naira and not directly on forex. Besides, this does not have anything to do with forex deregulation.

Poor reporting.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by brojoshua: 7:28pm On May 04, 2017
Back to square one again

2 Likes

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by leighcon(m): 7:31pm On May 04, 2017
Given the the non liberal structure we operate for our currency, perhaps, it was inevitable that CBN proritized allocation of forex when it became scarce. If the market becomes liberal, there would be no need to ban or unban.

deebsman1:
Solution coming too late! Please why the policy in d first place? Policy somersault like someone above me said? Honestly all dis taking 1 step forward 2 steps backwards is what has been killing us as a country for many years and we don't seem to understand. Either good or bad, we need to learn how to make a policy and stick to it all thru, it's so sad we ain't ready to move forward as a nation.

Now that prices of consumer products have skyrocketed up, are they going to come down back? Giving d greedy set of human beings we are. Assuming its in a country where there is a functional consumer pricing check agency now, it would have been beta
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by leighcon(m): 7:37pm On May 04, 2017
Shallow reasoning

kolade179:
All bcs of 2019, is this d reason why u said rice will be 10k by June. OK ooooo. Continue.

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by deebsman1(m): 7:50pm On May 04, 2017
I am not an economist or an economic expert but can't they find a long time sustainable solution to this country's macro problem once and for all
leighcon:
Given the the non liberal structure we operate for our currency, perhaps, it was inevitable that CBN proritized allocation of forex when it became scarce. If the market becomes liberal, there would be no need to ban or unban.

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by Caution30: 7:52pm On May 04, 2017
imagine,Nigeria importing toothpick, what a shame

2 Likes

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by Caution30: 7:54pm On May 04, 2017
imagine,Nigeria importing toothpick, what a shame

2 Likes

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by pat1612(m): 8:13pm On May 04, 2017
CBN and u turn on policy b like grin grin

Let me go an import my favorite toothpicks grin

2 Likes

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by k9ine(m): 8:46pm On May 04, 2017
When you think you have heard it all. What kind of policy somersault is this. Instead of a blanket removal of the ban, why not filter it; must we import toothpick?

This is the disease killing our politics and economy, we just take everything wholesale and slam a total ban or a total waiver. We are so averse to technical or case by case evaluation. CBN with testing-testing.

Toothpick!
I just hope we are allowed to import toiletpaper and bottled water. They must. Someone please Lai Mohammed that CBN is working against his dream of local production of pencils.

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by franzis(m): 8:49pm On May 04, 2017
Abeg when them go remove the 100 USD monthly limit on naira mastercard , banks just they force dollar MasterCard down our throats and make business boom for aboki

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by mastermaestro(m): 8:52pm On May 04, 2017
k9ine:
When you think you have heard it all. What kind of policy somersault is this. Instead of a blanket removal of the ban, why not filter it; must we import toothpick?

This is the disease killing our politics and economy, we just take everything wholesale and slam a total ban or a total waiver. We are so averse to technical or case by case evaluation. CBN with testing-testing.

Toothpick!
I just hope we are allowed to import toiletpaper and bottled water. They must. Someone please Lai Mohammed that CBN is working against his dream of local production of pencils.

Brilliant thinker.

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by abike12(f): 9:32pm On May 04, 2017
they have started again

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by Electroweb(m): 9:35pm On May 04, 2017
How will the local entrepreneurs be encouraged?
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by totorimi: 9:35pm On May 04, 2017
Confused bunch indeed, why ban and unban items you can produce. I thought they said they are focussed on building local competence. They are using Nigerians to learn on the job too bad indeed. We don't deserve this type of thing right now. They make a whole great brains that abound in Nigeria to look like a country of tyro's but the Lord will not allow then turn us all into morons.

1 Like

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by menwongo(m): 9:47pm On May 04, 2017
This news seems fake, can't see it on major Nigeria newspaper
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by Seun(m): 9:56pm On May 04, 2017
chronique:
What exactly has this government achieved since they have returned to all the previous policies which they claimed were bad? 2 years of our national lives, have just been wasted.
Its better than stubbornly clinging to policies that are not working.
Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by chronique(m): 9:59pm On May 04, 2017
Seun:
Its better than stubbornly clinging to policies that are not working.

Then, it vindicates those of us who initially criticised it and pointed it out that this government is confused and lacks what it takes to move this country forward.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items by Sophia7989: 10:21pm On May 04, 2017
GEJ is being vindicated gradually. The are tired already. And someone will still say they need 8years... I step forward,5backward.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naira - Dollar Exchange Rate From 1972 Till Date / Multipurpose Cooperative Society "World Bank Grant" SCAM / Obafemi Olopade: My Calabar Condom, Syringe Factories Were Killed By Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.