Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? (2710 Views)

African Americans Still Have A Lot To Do Within / Helpless; Afro Americans Adopt Nigeria's " Hot Water Solution" To Fight #coronav (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 04, 2017
A recent study conducted by the National Center For Family and Marriage Research at Bowling Green State University looked at the differences between Baby boomers when they were 25-34 year olds in 1980 compared to millennials who are currently 25-34 years old.

The study, which compared US census data from 1980 to 2015, found that nearly 70% of baby boomers (those born between 1946 and 1964) were married in 1980, while only 41% of 25-34 year-olds were married in 2015.

The study also noted that 84% of baby boomers lived in independent households or with their significant others when they were 25-34 years of age. Just 30% of millennials weren't living with their parents or a family member in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h_qs9bGhBI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 04, 2017
I don't really think they are anti-marriage. They just love their flirty and single lifestyle, without any attachment.

That is why you see them, get married and divorce in two years, the others marry late; just around early 30s, while another greater percentage will conceive, become baby mama and choose to remain that for the rest of their lives. A little percentage of them love and appreciate early marriage of 20-26.

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by armyofone(m): 8:01pm On May 04, 2017
Who is thinking of marriage when you are faced with hugely and bigly student loans to pay off.

2 Likes

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 04, 2017
armyofone:
Who is thinking of marriage when you are faced with hugely and bigly student loans to pay off.
That's a great point.

Many millennials are stuck with $80,000 or more in student loans, hence, the immediate priority is paying off a significant portion of the loan and making just enough money to pay for the rent. Premium cable subscription is out of the question these days, most will settle for a basic cable package.
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 04, 2017
I think Americans are becoming more cautious of marriage due to finances. Women are outpacing men in the workforce, so men are not as valuable. Also the risk of ending up with a lazy man who doesn't want to work, can easily happen in the current society. I see men getting left frequently because they don't want to contribute well to their family. No woman wants to be the breadwinner and have to deal with a man who not only insults her, but can't even feed his family. A woman doesn't want her husband to be a liability. He's in even a lower position than the children. I firmly believe the more money women make as a whole, the more likely marriage will slowly become obsolete. I feel this is slowly happening in Nigeria as well.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 04, 2017
FortuneTeller:
I think Americans are becoming more cautious of marriage due to finances. Women are outpacing men in the workforce, so men are not as valuable. Also the risk of ending up with a lazy man who doesn't want to work, can easily happen in the current society. I see men getting left frequently because they don't want to contribute well to their family. No woman wants to be the breadwinner and have to deal with a man who not only insults her, but can't even feed his family. A woman doesn't want her husband to be a liability. He's in even a lower position than the children. I firmly believe the more money women make as a whole, the more likely marriage will slowly become obsolete. I feel this is slowly happening in Nigeria as well.

I will add that men are also not settling for marriage anymore because we perceive that the family law court system in the US is anti-men. Men run a great risk of being thrown of the home, losing access to their kids and paying spousal support for a long time. Of course, there are certain legal nuances involved in child custody and spousal support, but the general feeling is that it is better to have one-night stands or spend money on a stripper or a friend with benefit, than to be "bogged down" with marriage.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 04, 2017
CFCman:

I will add that men are also not settling for marriage anymore because we perceive that the family law court system in the US is anti-men. Men run a great risk of being thrown of the home, losing access to their kids and paying spousal support for a long time. Of course, there are certain legal nuances involved in child custody and spousal support, but the general feeling is that it is better to have one-night stands or spend money on a stripper or a friend with benefit, than to be "bogged down" with marriage.

lol Someone has been taking the RedPill, they perceive the law to support women and men are largely ignored and raped legally, read on the manifesto of MGTOW kinda depressing and relate-able
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 04, 2017
CFCman:

I agree. It's really a large financial risk for both people. In the end, it's almost not worth it, except for having children. I have noticed a lot of people are only having one child, maybe to avoid these types of situations in full. But then again, do we really want to be alone when we are old? I think many of us will end up regretting it. It's a lot to think about.
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 04, 2017
FortuneTeller:

I agree. It's really a large financial risk for both people. In the end, it's almost not worth it, except for having children. I have noticed a lot of people are only having one child, maybe to avoid these types of situations in full. But then again, do we really want to be alone when we are old? I think many of us will end up regretting it. It's a lot to think about.

Right.

But we have nursing homes for old people here, so they will still have company even in their old age, unlike in Nigeria where such facilities do not exist. I know a lot of Nigerian couples who have only one or two kids, probably due to the financial cost of raising kids these days and complications that could arise during a child custody proceeding. The spouse who is granted physical custody of the kids would want to ensure that he/she makes enough money to pay for at least half of the children's needs, while the other party contributes by way of child support.

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 04, 2017
FortuneTeller:

It is slowly happening in Nigeria truly.

3 Likes

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Greenbullet(m): 10:27pm On May 04, 2017
Funnicator:
I don't really think they are anti-marriage. They just love their flirty and single lifestyle, without any attachment.

That is why you see them, get married and divorce in two years, the others marry late; just around early 30s, while another greater percentage will conceive, become baby mama and choose to remain that for the rest of their lives. A little percentage of them love and appreciate early marriage of 20-26.
actually nobody wants to get married anymore cause a woman can take 50 to 85 percent of their property
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Absalomh: 10:44pm On May 04, 2017
. abeg who get 5k? make ehhe borrow me now.

u go inbox mi.
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 11:27pm On May 04, 2017
Greenbullet:
actually nobody wants to get married anymore cause a woman can take 50 to 85 percent of their property

That's why in Igbo we call women Oriaku; wealth consumer.
Now I understand why there are so many baby mama's and divorcee's in the US. I understand better also, why huge percentage of our males come down to Nigeria to marrry.

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by armyofone(m): 4:26am On May 05, 2017
You are right....it is scary what the future looks like. It can be stressful having and raising kids (not just anyhow kids but a well adjusted child/children. ) Now you change your mind and not have any at all or just one. Here comes the lonely future. Have more and you scurrying all through life. Which way do we go ?

FortuneTeller:

2 Likes

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by armyofone(m): 4:31am On May 05, 2017
grin come down to marry grin and then what next ?
No guarantee...American society is a teaching one grin
See that village gal in a year or two lipsrsealed
Funnicator:

That's why in Igbo we call women Oriaku; wealth consumer.
Now I understand why there are so many baby mama's and divorcee's in the US. I understand better also, why huge percentage of our males come down to Nigeria to marrry.
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 5:52am On May 05, 2017
Another aspect is that millennials are less religious. They do not consider relationships without a marriage certificate or divorce a sin or scandal.

2 Likes

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 6:35am On May 05, 2017
armyofone:
grin come down to marry grin and then what next ?
No guarantee...American society is a teaching one grin
See that village gal in a year or two lipsrsealed

LOL I'll never take a wife to US to "reside" there. Just for vacations.
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 6:42am On May 05, 2017
True, but the number of babymama is high.
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by armyofone(m): 7:38pm On May 05, 2017
You are right...
Mindfulness:
Another aspect is that millennials are less religious. They do not consider relationships without a marriage certificate or divorce a sin or scandal.

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 8:55pm On May 05, 2017
Interesting topic
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 8:57pm On May 05, 2017
FortuneTeller:

This now begs the question: is money the only thing an average man is bringing to the table?
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 2:13am On May 06, 2017
bukatyne:

This now begs the question: is money the only thing an average man is bringing to the table?
Yes, especially we African men.

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by signature2012(m): 3:49am On May 06, 2017
MissCuppy:
True, but the number of babymama is high.

No high,but too high....
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by bluskyee: 4:15am On May 06, 2017
For those saying the Men maybe left behind, I laugh in Spanish. My dad called me just last week to tell me that my Grand Papa wants to get another wife undecided. A 79 year old. The man is never behind no matter how you re-arrange. Back to the subject, there are a lot of distractions for young people now than any other time in history. I spent a full week (work leave) indoors without seeing sunlight, let alone saying hi to my neighbours. There are so many fascinating and enchanting activities other than getting Married. As a guy, I have no reason to get married. Not now or later. A few minutes on Badoo, I get a hook-up, she spends 2-3 days and I am back to default mode. My mum calls occasionally to talk me into future plans and I had to warn her sternly. Why would I want to get married, when single-hood is the best thing to ever happen to Mankind. You can get a lady come spend weeks with you, without you marrying her, yet you have your space, your time and good sex. Companionship is as free as air. Please let us say NO to Marriage. Marriage is a huge scam. Science and Tech, is doing a good job trust me!!!

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 6:56am On May 06, 2017
^^
You're firmly in #teamfriendswithbenefits
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by KevinDein: 9:36am On May 06, 2017
bluskyee:
For those saying the Men maybe left behind, I laugh in Spanish. My dad called me just last week to tell me that my Grand Papa wants to get another wife undecided. A 79 year old. The man is never behind no matter how you re-arrange. Back to the subject, there are a lot of distractions for young people now than any other time in history. I spent a full week (work leave) indoors without seeing sunlight, let alone saying hi to my neighbours. There are so many fascinating and enchanting activities other than getting Married. As a guy, I have no reason to get married. Not now or later. A few minutes on Badoo, I get a hook-up, she spends 2-3 days and I am back to default mode. My mum calls occasionally to talk me into future plans and I had to warn her sternly. Why would I want to get married, when single-hood is the best thing to ever happen to Mankind. You can get a lady come spend weeks with you, without you marrying her, yet you have your space, your time and good sex. Companionship is as free as air. Please let us say NO to Marriage. Marriage is a huge scam. Science and Tech, is doing a good job trust me!!!
Summarily;

Why buy the cow when you can easily get a constant supply of the milk at a much cheaper price

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by signature2012(m): 4:37pm On May 06, 2017
bluskyee:

KEEP deceiving yourself.
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 06, 2017
FortuneTeller:

I have noticed a lot of people are only having one child, maybe to avoid these types of situations in full. But then again, do we really want to be alone when we are old? I think many of us will end up regretting it. It's a lot to think about.

well my paternal grandmother has 7 surviving children and 26 grandchildren yet right now as I type this she is alone in the village. somehow we cannot escape being alone at some point in our life. that your spouse might die before you or even children. your kids will leave home to search for greener pastures.

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by ednut1(m): 8:05pm On May 06, 2017
Same as in UK. Who marriage epp. The UK babes of naija descent no dey see men marry easily. It has to be one bros dey link dem with from 9ja or one hustling guy wey need stay dem dey see marry.

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 06, 2017
proudafrogal:

well my paternal grandmother has 7 surviving children and 26 grandchildren yet right now as I type this she is alone in the village. somehow we cannot escape being alone at some point in our life. that your spouse might die before you or even children. your kids will leave home to search for greener pastures.

This is the exception not the norm. I'm sorry that happened to your grandmother, but it's not the case for the majority of older people. We can't conclude it doesn't work for 80% of the population just because it's not working for 20%. We should always be thinking ahead for our lives. Usually at least one child will care for a parent in old age.

1 Like

Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 06, 2017
ednut1:
Same as in UK. Who marriage epp. The UK babes of naija descent no dey see men marry easily. It has to be one bros dey link dem with from 9ja or one hustling guy wey need stay dem dey see marry.
That is serious. The tables have been turned because it was usually the abroad-based man that sought a Nigerian-based woman
Re: Are Young Americans Anti-Marriage? by ednut1(m): 9:11pm On May 06, 2017
CFCman:

That is serious. The tables have been turned because it was usually the abroad-based man that sought a Nigerian-based woman
as d abroad based man is seeking d naija based woman. D women are doing same too na

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Warned Her To Stop Cheating On Her Husband: Hear Her Reply. / Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... / Men, Say Something Good About The Woman/women In Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.