Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,118 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... (2708 Views)

Fellow Nairalanders Pls I Need Ur Urgent Advice / What Will You Do In A Marriage Like Mine? / Why Does Sex Slowly Die Off In A Marriage After 10+ Years?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by PSTEMMA1960(m): 9:32am On Nov 21, 2018
Good day my fellow nairalanders...

there is a very minor issue that is about to scatter the marriage of my immediate elder sis..

we are from Imo state, last 2 yrs she got married to a yoruba man, they have been living peacefull until last week that my sister put to bed....

the man said that he wants to name the boy (Olaniyi )and my sister beeing an Ibo woman said it won't happen over her dead body, the naming ceremony is coming up next tomorrow...

pls what should i do in a case like this?

thanks and God bless..

lalasticla
ifyalways
ishilove...
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by sekundosekundo: 9:32am On Nov 21, 2018
grin.

Olaniyi simply mean DESTROYER in Igbo language.

I have nothing more to say.

4 Likes

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by madridguy(m): 9:32am On Nov 21, 2018
Tell your sister to allow her husband perform his fatherly role.

11 Likes

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by adadike(f): 9:40am On Nov 21, 2018
What is this? Olaniyi is a beautiful name in Yoruba. didn't she know that we have differences in our cultures before she went ahead to marry him. let her husband give his son a good name he want meanwhile she can also have a good Igbo name on d side for him.

8 Likes

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by ImaIma1(f): 9:44am On Nov 21, 2018
Let her explain in plain terms her reason especially that it has a different meaning in igbo that is not good. And as an igbo lady, that meaning will keep ringing in her head Everytime she calls him that.

They can both agree on another name. There are many beautiful Yoruba names to replace the one causing problems.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by Saff(f): 9:47am On Nov 21, 2018
So that is why the marriage will end because of a common name? I don’t understand this generation

3 Likes

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by PSTEMMA1960(m): 9:52am On Nov 21, 2018
ImaIma1:
Let her explain in plain terms her reason especially that it has a different meaning in igbo that is not good. And as an igbo lady, that meaning will keep ringing in her head Everytime she calls him that.

They can both agree on another name. There are many beautiful Yoruba names to replace the one causing problems.
she has already done that, bt the man has already made up his mind, my sister says she can't imagine calling her child that name or hearing another person calls him the name, knowing what it means in Ibo...
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by tobodex(m): 10:09am On Nov 21, 2018
PSTEMMA1960:

there is a very minor issue that is about to scatter the marriage of my immediate elder sis..

we are from Imo state, last 2 yrs she got married to a yoruba man, they have been living peacefull until last week that my sister put to bed....

the man said that he wants to name the boy (Olaniyi )and my sister beeing an Ibo woman said it won't happen over her dead body, the naming ceremony is coming up next tomorrow...

thanks and God bless..

lalasticla
ifyalways
ishilove...

Olaniyi means wealth has worth in Yoruba.so that means is the mother that will do the explanation to people that want to know. In marriage, the father is the head, which your sister is suppose to be aware of, and in yoruba culture there's room for more than one name for a child and so if possible both of them can choose a christian name for the child.
But for your sister to be adamant towards her husband, then I think she is planning to live alone or pushing her husband to begin to think of alternative ( you know what I mean).
So she had better put her marriage before tradition or culture.

4 Likes

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by babyfaceafrica: 10:19am On Nov 21, 2018
fictitious story.......can't they name him chigozie,olaniyi ,Johnson.?....looking for tribal fight

1 Like

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by PSTEMMA1960(m): 10:25am On Nov 21, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
fictitious story.......can't they name him chigozie,olaniyi ,Johnson.?....looking for tribal fight
tribal war, go trough my posts and comments here... I don't have time and energy for tribal war..
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by babyfaceafrica: 10:27am On Nov 21, 2018
PSTEMMA1960:
tribal war, go trough my posts and comments here... I don't have time and energy for tribal war..
your story is a lie abeg..you think na kids dey here abi?."..so married couple from different tribes will have issues because of names?..next!!!
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by PSTEMMA1960(m): 10:32am On Nov 21, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
your story is a lie abeg..you think na kids dey here abi?."..so married couple from different tribes will have issues because of names?..next!!!
maybe u don't know what Olaniyi means in Ibo language... Have a nice day.9
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by babyfaceafrica: 10:33am On Nov 21, 2018
PSTEMMA1960:
maybe u don't know what Olaniyi means in Ibo language... Have a nice day.9
warever
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by NoToPile: 10:34am On Nov 21, 2018
Nawa oo

Never knew olaniyi means a bad thing in Igbo.

She should simply explain to him what that spelling signifies in their dialect and ask it shouldnt be the one everybody will call him, it may just be among the long list of names not his first name thats all

She doesn't need the 'over the dead body stance' not necessary at all

Besides I believe the pronunciation is quite different from the igbo one, there are also other variations of ola the husband can choose from not necessarily olaniyi.

As far as I am concerned for couple who understand each other, this shouldnt be an issue at all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by babyfaceafrica: 10:34am On Nov 21, 2018
Saff:
So that is why the marriage will end because of a common name? I don’t understand this generation
so you believe the Op?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by babyfaceafrica: 10:35am On Nov 21, 2018
adadike:
What is this? Olaniyi is a beautiful name in Yoruba. didn't she know that we have differences in our cultures before she went ahead to marry him. let her husband give his son a good name he want meanwhile she can also have a good Igbo name on d side for him.
well said
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by thorpido(m): 10:37am On Nov 21, 2018
The story is fictitious.Op is just trolling.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by ImaIma1(f): 11:58am On Nov 21, 2018
PSTEMMA1960:
she has already done that, bt the man has already made up his mind, my sister says she can't imagine calling her child that name or hearing another person calls him the name, knowing what it means in Ibo...

It is her child too. The husband doesn't have monopoly on issues like naming. She married a man that is not flexible or someone she can reason with, she has to carry her cross and call her son "destroyer" for the rest of her life or give him another name and call him that.

1 Like

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by sacx: 12:45pm On Nov 21, 2018
The real issue here is not the name but that the husband has neither respect nor regard for his wife

1 Like

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by murphyrichy(m): 5:47pm On Nov 21, 2018
This is a minor issue but can lead to a serious issue due to the ethnic differences, I have seen where it caused a problem. The woman went ahead to rename her children because she wasn't a Muslim and it lead to separation between the husband and the wife. Coming to your own sisters issue, was she not aware that such things might arise before agreeing to marry outside her ethnicity? Let her embrace the challenges and let the man name his child..Though it will be difficult for her but with time she will adapt..The name olaniyi in Igbo, is something else...it means doomed.

1 Like

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by Annwrites: 5:59pm On Nov 21, 2018
This post is hilarious sha.. It seems too good to be true.

The husband seem like an adamant fellow.

Why don't they just give him a name from the Bible or an English name. This name should be his first name. And they both are free to give him their own preferred tribal name as an addition.

I doubt this will work though. Adamant people don't change perse they only become worse in marriage especially if they are men.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by JoannaSedley(f): 7:05pm On Nov 21, 2018
Yeah....the troll even insists on using IBO instead of Igbo. We are from IMO state my left yellow ball embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by sisisioge: 8:16pm On Nov 21, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin

Bet your sister is already Chisom Adewale nau...why can't her San be Adeniyi Chukwuemeka Adewale? tongue tongue tongue
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by PSTEMMA1960(m): 8:47pm On Nov 21, 2018
JoannaSedley:
Yeah....the troll even insists on using IBO instead of Igbo. We are from IMO state my left yellow ball embarassed
so u think i am nt from Imo state?
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by PSTEMMA1960(m): 8:50pm On Nov 21, 2018
sisisioge:
grin grin grin grin grin

Bet your sister is already Chisom Adewale nau...why can't her San be Adeniyi Chukwuemeka Adewale? tongue tongue tongue
my sister u won't understand, the naming is coming up next tomorrow (friday )and they are yet to agree, my sister said any other name is accepted, nt nt Olaniyi, bt the man has refused to listen... Pls should i do in a case like this?
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by Diamond23(f): 9:25pm On Nov 21, 2018
PSTEMMA1960:

thanks and God bless..

lalasticla
ifyalways
ishilove...
Y would ur sis interfere? Pls she should allow her husband name d child......Nd also remind ur sis hubby dat d name z incomplete without.... Olaotu Olanike
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 21, 2018
What’s the fuse about Destroyer can’t that also mean Conqueror, or must the name be thought of in a wrong context?

2 Likes

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by 1stNumeroUno: 10:29pm On Nov 21, 2018
Abeg what is OBASANJO in Igbo?
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by frozen70(f): 11:36pm On Nov 21, 2018
PSTEMMA1960:

thanks and God bless..

lalasticla
ifyalways
ishilove...

What's your sister problem

If he names his child

"olaniyi"

Which you and I knows that it's a yoruba name and it means something good in yoruba land

She should go ahead and name that same child the translation of the name in ibo land

Or better still give that child an ibo name of her choice

It is now left for her to be calling the child any of his meantioned names

That child is expected to have up to 7 names

Though I know that this question is a joke anyway, lol

1 Like

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by ahnie: 12:22am On Nov 22, 2018
PRESENTATION:
What’s the fuse about Destroyer can’t that also mean Conqueror, or must the name be thought of in a wrong context?

My guy...afar nau!...how d levels nau
Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by Jman06(m): 6:45am On Nov 22, 2018
Olaniyi not only means destroyer it also literally means "lost one" I.e "efulefu"

Double wahala for dead body

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls Ur Urgent Advice Is Needed To Save A Marriage... by mrblessed(m): 6:49am On Nov 22, 2018
PRESENTATION:
You must mean fuse and socket, brother.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Women Posting Photos Of Them During And After Pregnancy. / Is It Wrong For A Wife/mother To Take Holiday Alone? / Is She A Wife Material? Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.