Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,388 members, 7,812,147 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola (4627 Views)

AFROBASKET2015 FINAL: Nigeria Vs. Angola 74 - 65 On 30th August 2015 / Cote D'ivoire , Tunisia, Algeria . Togo - AFCON 2013 Group D / South Africa, Angola, Morroco, Cape Verde - AFCON 2013 Group A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 08, 2010
Gunmen have opened fire on a bus carrying Togo's national football squad to the top tournament in Angola, killing the driver and wounding at least two players, officials have said.Thomas Dossevi, a Togo striker, told radio station RMC that the team was "shot at like dogs" by hooded assailants who were "armed to the teeth", leaving several players in a bad state.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2010/01/201018181420569754.html
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Uche2nna(m): 7:52pm On Jan 08, 2010
I just read that on the BBC website.

Was there any motive? undecided
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 08, 2010
The attack took place on Friday in the enclave of Cabinda,Angola, where a separatists group has waged a three-decade long war against the government.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by manmustwac(m): 7:57pm On Jan 08, 2010
We must've had about 5 different topics on the same subject in the sports section within an hour.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Horus(m): 10:36pm On Jan 08, 2010
Something is wrong in the organisation, the football players should have traveled by plane instead of bus.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jan 08, 2010
Horus:

Something is wrong in the organisation, the football players should have traveled by plane instead of bus.

what u are directly insinuating is that the road is meant for miserable people. How sad! Be informed bro: The togolese national team has been camping in d neighbouring Congo which shares a land border with Angola before they finally crossed over to Angola today.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by A40(m): 1:08am On Jan 09, 2010
What can i say? There's a war going on outside no man is safe from it don't matter if you are 3ft or 8'1
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by buffead(f): 1:39am On Jan 09, 2010
if dis was in naija now , da reply would hve reached 100 ,
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by chyk91(m): 3:40am On Jan 09, 2010
black man black sense, see them, one rubbish or the other about africa.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Hanoobaba(m): 10:09am On Jan 09, 2010
I heard Adebayor was injured. And the Togolese team want to pull out of the tournament. It seems they were all scared to death.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by bandely(m): 10:15am On Jan 09, 2010
Hanoobaba:

I heard Adebayor was injured. And the Togolese team want to pull out of the tournament. It seems they were all scared to death.
shocked shocked shocked shocked Are you sure Adebayor is injured? Where did you hear that?
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 09, 2010
sh.t happens
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by ichommy(m): 10:41am On Jan 09, 2010
buffead:

YES O grin grin
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by santanovva(m): 10:59am On Jan 09, 2010
jabbok:

The attack took place on Friday in the enclave of Cabinda,Angola, where a separatists group has waged a three-decade long war against the government.

Are you sure it aint the Angolian Chapter of MEND? grin grin
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by hollandis(f): 11:01am On Jan 09, 2010
In as much as I sympathizse with the payers,CAF regulation insists you must travel by air.(Although this is a fool hardy regulation,what about the spectators?)
POVERTY SHA they couldnt have qualified from their group sef angry
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by jidesamuel(m): 11:48am On Jan 09, 2010
I wont be surprise if the Togolese team opt out of the NC due to inadequate security.already they have loosed focus because of this shameful act.i hope we wont have another ESCOBA in the NC.if at all they participate,they will have a fear of unexpected gun shot in mind while on pitch of which this will surely kill their spirit.this is so bad for African football undecided
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by CarlosVent(m): 12:29pm On Jan 09, 2010
Nigeria wanted to Host this but Caf said no. y can they take this tournament to a country that has not stayed 10years after they had a great war.

I think that FIFA should look into this and prompt Caf to Cancel the tournament. This will be good

haba this na disgrace to Africa
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Sagamite(m): 12:45pm On Jan 09, 2010
buffead:

No mind dem. The "Failed State" brigades. undecided

CarlosVent:

Nigeria wanted to Host this but Caf said no. y can they take this tournament to a country that has not stayed 10years after they had a great war.

I think that FIFA should look into this and prompt Caf to Cancel the tournament. This will be good

How is it a disgrace to Africa?

It cannot happen in other continents?

Oyinbo get word for this, I think it is called outrecuidance!
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by thameamead(f): 1:03pm On Jan 09, 2010
CarlosVent:

y d heck did they travel by coach, y not by air, angola is a failed state but with billions of oil fields and of course those bloody chinese (because of the oil) with her heli pads on stand-by.

portsmouth issued a statement saying they are worried about 4 of their players, but no statement to offer condolence to the family of the driver that died, oga o ,
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by thameamead(f): 1:06pm On Jan 09, 2010
Hanoobaba:

adebayor was not injured, he was in tears, (saw it on the BBC)
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Phemour: 1:50pm On Jan 09, 2010
Adebayo RIP grin
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Sagamite(m): 2:01pm On Jan 09, 2010
Phemour:

Adebayo RIP grin

Chei, na so the hate reach?

Arsenal fan?
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Phemour: 2:13pm On Jan 09, 2010
no na wigan fan i be tongue

Yeye. grin
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Hanoobaba(m): 2:55pm On Jan 09, 2010
I read it at goal.com this morning. And when I said injury I didn't compulsorily mean a gunshot injury. It might have been a sprinted ankle or he could have hit his head against something or even broken his tooth. All I know was that they said he was injured. He said they all cramped themselves under the seats of the vehicle for hours, too afraid to come out.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by MustardInc: 3:00pm On Jan 09, 2010
[size=13pt]TOGO has pulled out!

Such a shame for African Football and the World's Most expensive property market - Angola.

Big Headache for SA 2010[/size]

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=722713&sec=global&cc=4716
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by MAYOWAAK: 3:07pm On Jan 09, 2010
Horus:

Togo's national soccer team, which was ambushed by gunmen on its way to the African Nations Cup in Angola on Friday, was told not to travel by bus to the separatist area of Cabinda, a soccer official said on Saturday

Virgilio Santos, an official with African Nations Cup local organising committee COCAN, was cited by weekly sports newspaper A Bola as saying no team should have travelled by bus through Angola.

"We asked that all delegations inform us when they would arrive and provide the passport number of their players. Togo was the only team not to respond and did not inform COCAN it was coming by bus," Santos told the newspaper.

"The rules are clear: no team should travel by bus. I don't know what led them to do this

Source: Matthew Jones; Jon Boyle for REUTERS
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Borat1: 3:18pm On Jan 09, 2010
They paid the price for being foolhardy. I feel sorry for them sha. But now they've pulled out, what next? Who will fill the void?
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by brojero: 3:37pm On Jan 09, 2010
CAF says they should have gone by air

The rebels that have machine guns: dont they also have surface to air missiles?

I think the bigger question is why stage the competition in an area (Cabinda) that has an active rebel movement?

I don't blame Togo for pulling out; 30 mins under fire is no good for their state of preparedness
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Sagamite(m): 3:40pm On Jan 09, 2010
MAYOWAAK:

Togo's national soccer team, which was ambushed by gunmen on its way to the African Nations Cup in Angola on Friday, was told not to travel by bus to the separatist area of Cabinda, a soccer official said on Saturday

Virgilio Santos, an official with African Nations Cup local organising committee COCAN, was cited by weekly sports newspaper A Bola as saying no team should have travelled by bus through Angola.

"We asked that all delegations inform us when they would arrive and provide the passport number of their players. Togo was the only team not to respond and did not inform COCAN it was coming by bus," Santos told the newspaper.

"The rules are clear: no team should travel by bus. I don't know what led them to do this

Source: Matthew Jones;  Jon Boyle for REUTERS

If it was a western country, the official responsible for organising the trip would be questioned on why he did not heed the security advice or even seek it, and why their FA did not respond. If anyone is found at fault, he would be relieved of his role.

But this is not a western country, it is an African one, so I would not hold my breath although I am boiling inside.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Sagamite(m): 3:42pm On Jan 09, 2010
brojero:

CAF says they should have gone by air

The rebels that have machine guns: dont they also have surface to air missiles?

I think the bigger question is why stage the competition in an area (Cabinda) that has an active rebel movement?

I don't blame Togo for pulling out; 30 mins under fire is no good for their state of preparedness

Are you serious?

How many surface-to-air missiles do you know that rebels can easily possess that can reach a plane that is 30K feet in the air?

If you know one that we don't know of, believe me Al-Qaeda will love to hear from you.
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by Princek12(m): 4:19pm On Jan 09, 2010
What the phuck is wrong with some Africans? Why attack a bus carrying Soccer players who are on their way to play in a tournament?
Re: Gunmen Open Fire On Togo Footballers In Angola by brojero: 4:31pm On Jan 09, 2010

from sagamite on: Today at 03:42:10 PM

Are you serious?

How many surface-to-air missiles do you know that rebels can easily possess that can reach a plane that is 30K feet in the air?

If you know one that we don't know of, believe me Al-Qaeda will love to hear from you.

Always happy to educate and inform,

Here you go  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-125_Neva/Pechora

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South Korean Coach Thanks Yakubu For Goal Miss / Messi Captured Looking Awkwardly At Ronaldo Before Uefa Best Player Declaration / Two And Seriously Sure Odds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.