Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing (17994 Views)

Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data / If You Want Your Phone Battery To Last Long: 7 Things You Should Stop Doing / Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by niceguy7(m): 7:53am On May 09, 2017
Why iphone6plus battery last is because of the processor chipset.....no be make battery mah big na him matter alone.
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by wassade: 7:54am On May 09, 2017
Myth 3: Charging your battery overnight or overcharging it can kill battery life.
This used to be true for older batteries and technology. Smart phones have inbuilt technology that helps regulate the charging. Once the battery is charged fully, the feedback mechanism stops the charging process; protecting the battery from being overheated from over charging. Once it is detected that the battery level is below 100%, the charging process is triggered again ; keeping the battery level at equilibrium. This series of discharging and and charging however impacts on the lifespan of the battery, but the impact is not significant enough to effect any noticeable drop in the lifespan.

Your number 3 option is NO NO. Over charging kills phone batteries. Either new or old fashion type of phones. Give me examples of phone that over changing can't damage its battery
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Stanleywaxy(m): 7:58am On May 09, 2017
Reason why I'll pick Tecno phones any day .
The battery is 100% quality
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Akpan107(m): 8:00am On May 09, 2017
Dopeyomi:
hmmmmmm

AhdOnBelive No .2
I don't even believe no.1
When I compare the Gionee M3 mini I bought for girlfriend with 4,000 mah battery capacity and its 8G in built memory, with my Samsung J1 ace with its 1800 mah and 4G in built memory . With my phone battery at 100% , I can only use it for good 12 hours, while my girl can use hers for more than 24 hours.

3 Likes

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by DonCortino: 8:00am On May 09, 2017
Homeboiy:
My galaxy s3 runs battery down,cant last for 1hr bt takes 6hrs to full

Any possibl solution

Replace d damn battery!!
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Homeboiy: 8:02am On May 09, 2017
DonCortino:

Replace d damn battery!!

bought new ones two n still dsame thing
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by DonCortino: 8:03am On May 09, 2017
Homeboiy:

bought new ones two n still dsame thing
Hmmm
Find out if ur charging port is ok.
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by mayorjosh(m): 8:04am On May 09, 2017
curvilicious:

Happy buttday bruv
Thank you!
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 8:26am On May 09, 2017
In algebra, when you have 2 on both sides you cancel . Both Android, cancel. Same mediatek, cancel. You're left with mah. Bigger = better.
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Defaramade(m): 8:39am On May 09, 2017
soldierdollar:

It's caused by accumulation of gases produced as a result of electrochemical oxidation of the electrolyte .
Over charging causes the electrolyte to oxidize thereby leading to oxygen being produced and entrapped in the battery.

Over charging can be caused by a faulty battery, charger or a faulty electronic circuit that regulates the charging .
Damn, you're a real tech guru & geek. You the Boss.

1 Like

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by chinedujones(m): 8:41am On May 09, 2017
Very correct! But in as much as what you say are correct, have in mind not all processes are ended or frozen when the user leaves them, for example' music player, your mailing client, and your messengers, and some social media Apps. Need I say poorly built apps or apps not designed for your CPU or your GPU could over work your system, pushing you cpu or gpu to work harder in so doing your CPU heats up[color=#990000][/color] undecided Above 39-42 degrees, now your battery heats up coursing it to drain faster, lithium ion batteries can't last long when heated, this is were your battery saver plays it role. Closing unused application saves you cpu much stress,furthermore prolonging your battery life.
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 8:41am On May 09, 2017
echepops:

Nice piece OP, but what makes Phone battery expand Because right now the battery of my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro battery has expanded in size and is making my device uncomfortable
i bet the battery is a Li-Po. Read up on how to maintain a Li-Po battery
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Defaramade(m): 8:42am On May 09, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
your phone has expired grin
Lol grin grin grin

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 8:47am On May 09, 2017
Homeboiy:
My galaxy s3 runs battery down,cant last for 1hr bt takes 6hrs to full

Any possibl solution
yes there is just one solution

buy anoda battery or trash the phone
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 9:06am On May 09, 2017
Akpan107:
I don't even believe no.1
When I compare the Gionee M3 mini I bought for girlfriend with 4,000 mah battery capacity and its 8G in built memory, with my Samsung J1 ace with its 1800 mah and 4G in built memory . With my phone battery at 100% , I can only use it for good 12 hours, while my girl can use hers for more than 24 hours.
the OP failed to explain that some smartphones like the Gionee M series are built with long lasting batteries as well as redued specs. By reduced specs i mean low resolution screens in relation to the screen size, mediocre performing processors, and they even make use of AMOLED displays which use less power than LCDs. The memory is out of the question here because it does nothing to increase or reduce battery consumption. It just enables you store more apps, videos and images as well as probably affecting performance if the storage space is almost full. So in light of the factors i mentioned above, i think its very normal for your gf's smartphone to have more onscreen time than yours. The battery difference is quite huge too. Even if the gionee smartphone boost high specs, it probably might still have more onscreen time.
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by oba2flex(m): 9:14am On May 09, 2017
soldierdollar:
Battery life has been a major concern for android users. Many theories about battery life extension have been formulated and it is no surprise that smart phone users follow them religiously in the bid to prolong the life span of their batteries without bothering to check the authenticity of such theories. Hacks Undiluted has analyzed some of these claims and has decided to throw more light on them.
Myth 1: The higher the Mah rating of a battery, the longer the smart phone stays on.
These are the topics that should make front page and not those rubbish u quickly push here.
Smart phone batteries are modeled to suit the phone hardware. The battery consumption of a phone is determined by how much hardware it contains and the efficiency of these hardwares. A phone which is likely to consume more power is matched with a high capacity battery in order to prolong its 'On time'. High capacity batteries are usually found in larger phones and tablets/Ipads. However, a phone which uses a lower rated battery does not imply that the battery will drain faster. In fact, a smart phone with a smaller rated battery may stay on, longer than that 'beasty' battery powered phones. This is because the device economizes the battery juices owing to its hardware efficiency and probably fewer hardware components. Just as we cannot say that heavy duty vehicles utilizing bigger engines means they run faster than SUVs with relatively small engines, we also cannot say the same for phones utilizing 'bigger' batteries. So do not get startled when phone manufacturers list a 'beasty' battery as one of its strong points as it could mean the phone needs it to compensate for its high energy consumption. Also, do not let the 'low' rating of a phone's battery discourage you from buying it as many will quickly say, "I'm not buying! The battery rating is too poor!" Don't crucify the innocent phone because of its efficiency.
Don't get me wrong. I never said a phone utilizing a high rated battery means it is inefficient neither did I say that a phone which runs on a lower rated battery implies it is more efficient than its former counterpart.. all I'm trying to discourage is the hasty generalization of cell phone's battery rating determining its life. A very efficient phone on a high power battery is plus but do not judge a book by its cover.

Myth 2: Killing running tasks/apps saves the battery.

While this may be true for laptop computers, it is a pure lie for smart phones. In the case of smart phones, once an application is minimized, it becomes 'frozen'; it ceases to make use of the CPU until it is reopened and hence, does not impact on the battery. When an application is opened, it is loaded in the RAM to be processed. The phone is programmed to automatically kill some tasks to free the RAM if it discovers it is running out of RAM. When you kill these apps by yourself, you in fact kill the battery as extra juice is pulled from the battery (to load the apps on the RAM) next time you decide to reopen it. Why not allow the phone to do its job ? After all, that's why its smart.
Because applications only run only when it is loaded in the RAM, some applications( like whatsapp, playstore,messaging apps, etc) find their way to the RAM and hide in the background because of the way they are programmed. These applications consume a lot of battery and they are they should be the source of your worry.On Android, you can disable background apps by going to your Settings > Wireless & networks > Data usage and set “Allow background data” to “Restrict background data".However, disabling background apps could make them to malfunction. Do it at your discretion.

Myth 3: Charging your battery overnight or overcharging it can kill battery life.
This used to be true for older batteries and technology. Smart phones have inbuilt technology that helps regulate the charging. Once the battery is charged fully, the feedback mechanism stops the charging process; protecting the battery from being overheated from over charging. Once it is detected that the battery level is below 100%, the charging process is triggered again ; keeping the battery level at equilibrium. This series of discharging and and charging however impacts on the lifespan of the battery, but the impact is not significant enough to effect any noticeable drop in the lifespan.

Myth 4: You can prolong your battery life by installing battery savers
I consider the battery saving apps as malwares because they cause more harm than good. They take a chunk of your RAM, overwork your CPU and pushes up unsolicited ads on your screen while doing virtually nothing other than kill apps. Battery saver apps working technique is premised on the ideology that killing tasks help prolong battery life- this, we have disproved in myth 2.Don't mind the fancy interfaces of the so-called battery savers. Some of these apps claim to fasten the charging rate; a lie from the pit of hell. They will rather kill your battery and block your screen with crazy ads.

I hope you found this article interesting. In my next post, I will writing on practices that will improve your battery life.Stay tuned and always remember to encourage me by sharing my articles with your friends.

Thanks.

Source: http://www.hacksundiluted.cf/2017/05/smart-phone-battery-myth-we-should-stop.html
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by eki2000(m): 9:22am On May 09, 2017
I think that point No. 1 is true because my Tecno C7 is just 2500mah but the battery last till I tire self.
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by sheddy411(m): 9:27am On May 09, 2017
pls i need screen for samsung galaxy note 2 Sgh-i317 If u have for sale, pls reach me at 09073688669
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 9:44am On May 09, 2017
soldierdollar:
Battery life has been a major concern for android users. Many theories about battery life extension have been formulated and it is no surprise that smart phone users follow them religiously in the bid to prolong the life span of their batteries without bothering to check the authenticity of such theories. Hacks Undiluted has analyzed some of these claims and has decided to throw more light on them.
Myth 1: The higher the Mah rating of a battery, the longer the smart phone stays on.

Smart phone batteries are modeled to suit the phone hardware. The battery consumption of a phone is determined by how much hardware it contains and the efficiency of these hardwares. A phone which is likely to consume more power is matched with a high capacity battery in order to prolong its 'On time'. High capacity batteries are usually found in larger phones and tablets/Ipads. However, a phone which uses a lower rated battery does not imply that the battery will drain faster. In fact, a smart phone with a smaller rated battery may stay on, longer than that 'beasty' battery powered phones. This is because the device economizes the battery juices owing to its hardware efficiency and probably fewer hardware components. Just as we cannot say that heavy duty vehicles utilizing bigger engines means they run faster than SUVs with relatively small engines, we also cannot say the same for phones utilizing 'bigger' batteries. So do not get startled when phone manufacturers list a 'beasty' battery as one of its strong points as it could mean the phone needs it to compensate for its high energy consumption. Also, do not let the 'low' rating of a phone's battery discourage you from buying it as many will quickly say, "I'm not buying! The battery rating is too poor!" Don't crucify the innocent phone because of its efficiency.
Don't get me wrong. I never said a phone utilizing a high rated battery means it is inefficient neither did I say that a phone which runs on a lower rated battery implies it is more efficient than its former counterpart.. all I'm trying to discourage is the hasty generalization of cell phone's battery rating determining its life. A very efficient phone on a high power battery is plus but do not judge a book by its cover.

Myth 2: Killing running tasks/apps saves the battery.

While this may be true for laptop computers, it is a pure lie for smart phones. In the case of smart phones, once an application is minimized, it becomes 'frozen'; it ceases to make use of the CPU until it is reopened and hence, does not impact on the battery. When an application is opened, it is loaded in the RAM to be processed. The phone is programmed to automatically kill some tasks to free the RAM if it discovers it is running out of RAM. When you kill these apps by yourself, you in fact kill the battery as extra juice is pulled from the battery (to load the apps on the RAM) next time you decide to reopen it. Why not allow the phone to do its job ? After all, that's why its smart.
Because applications only run only when it is loaded in the RAM, some applications( like whatsapp, playstore,messaging apps, etc) find their way to the RAM and hide in the background because of the way they are programmed. These applications consume a lot of battery and they are they should be the source of your worry.On Android, you can disable background apps by going to your Settings > Wireless & networks > Data usage and set “Allow background data” to “Restrict background data".However, disabling background apps could make them to malfunction. Do it at your discretion.

Myth 4: You can prolong your battery life by installing battery savers
I consider the battery saving apps as malwares because they cause more harm than good. They take a chunk of your RAM, overwork your CPU and pushes up unsolicited ads on your screen while doing virtually nothing other than kill apps. Battery saver apps working technique is premised on the ideology that killing tasks help prolong battery life- this, we have disproved in myth 2.Don't mind the fancy interfaces of the so-called battery savers. Some of these apps claim to fasten the charging rate; a lie from the pit of hell. They will rather kill your battery and block your screen with crazy ads.

I hope you found this article interesting. In my next post, I will writing on practices that will improve your battery life.Stay tuned and always remember to encourage me by sharing my articles with your friends.

Thanks.

Source: http://www.hacksundiluted.cf/2017/05/smart-phone-battery-myth-we-should-stop.html
Is killing or stopping Apps the same thing as clearing RAM. If not is it advisable to clear RAM?
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by EaglesT(m): 10:38am On May 09, 2017
This guy toooo make sense . Oya come chop my guy

1 Share

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by mavelos1o(m): 10:41am On May 09, 2017
Dopeyomi:
hmmmmmm

AhdOnBelive No .2
You Should.
Many App processes are designed to automatically restart if killed. they consume more power(wakelocks) on startup. In the recent android version(6.0-7.1.2) there's a mode called Doze. it temporarily hibernates all processes and limits your phone's core usage to just 1core and at the slowest speed, thus increasing battery life. If you keep killing apps, all cores will remain active because the apps are restarting. Only way to prevent that from happening is by rooting and installing greenify.
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 10:45am On May 09, 2017
the first myth is an absolute lie. so op are u meaning to tell me that a phone with 2500 mah will last longer than a phone with 4500mah and subjected to the same rigorous usage? baba think before u write or copy stuffs.

1 Like

Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 10:47am On May 09, 2017
eki2000:
I think that point No. 1 is true because my Tecno C7 is just 2500mah but the battery last till I tire self.
u say ur ba3 lasts? av u tried checking ur phone's onscreen time? the onscreen time is a true measure of the longevity of a phone's battery. phones in that 2500mah category go beyond 5 hours of onscreen time
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by koolpal(m): 11:07am On May 09, 2017
Battery saver apps working technique is premised on the ideology that killing tasks help prolong battery life- this, we have disproved in myth 2.Don't mind the fancy interfaces of the so-called battery savers. Some of these apps claim to fasten the charging rate; a lie from the pit of hell. Op-God bless u
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by jjcena(m): 11:24am On May 09, 2017
[color=#990000][/color][quote author=soldierdollar post=56290604]

It's caused by accumulation of gases produced as a result
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by soldierdollar(m): 11:30am On May 09, 2017
wassade:

Your number 3 option is NO NO. Over charging kills phone batteries. Either new or old fashion type of phones. Give me examples of phone that over changing can't damage its battery

Over charging means charging a battery beyond its capacity. If a battery is rated 5v , charging it beyond 5v will depreciate the battery's life . what I'm saying is that overcharging is no longer possible in most smart phones as mechanisms have been put in place to detect when the battery level is full and automatically stops it from further charging through the phones electronic circuit .
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by jjcena(m): 11:32am On May 09, 2017
echepops:

Nice piece OP, but what makes Phone battery expand Because right now the battery of my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro battery has expanded in size and is making my device uncomfortable
[/color]
[color=#990000]How do you update your phones firmware and every other updateables in your xiaomi redmi note 3. I use same fone
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by wassade: 12:11pm On May 09, 2017
soldierdollar:

Over charging means charging a battery beyond its capacity. If a battery is rated 5v , charging it beyond 5v will depreciate the battery's life . what I'm saying is that overcharging is no longer possible in most smart phones as mechanisms have been put in place to detect when the battery level is full and automatically stops it from further charging through the phones electronic circuit .

Now you clear yourself little, 5/100

But if you plug your phone for charge,when it's over 100% most times the battery will be damage even later affect your phone.
Are you mobile phone technician ?
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by soldierdollar(m): 12:19pm On May 09, 2017
prettyboi1989:
the first myth is an absolute lie. so op are u meaning to tell me that a phone with 2500 mah will last longer than a phone with 4500mah and subjected to the same rigorous usage? baba think before u write or copy stuffs.

What I am trying to say is that a phone which runs on a 4500 mAh battery may not last as long as a nokia torch light phone given that the latter uses less hardware.
some phones do not need big batteries to last long and some phones that use big batteries may not last as long as you may expect.

Read myth 1
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by soldierdollar(m): 12:24pm On May 09, 2017
wassade:

Now you clear yourself little, 5/100

But if you plug your phone for charge,when it's over 100% most times the battery will be damage even later affect your phone.
Are you mobile phone technician ?

That's if it over charges.... which is no longer possible. wonder why batteries don't explode or swell up even when you charge them over night?

That's because the battery can't be over charged any longer
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 09, 2017
soldierdollar:

What I am trying to say is that a phone which runs on a 4500 mAh battery may not last as long as a nokia torch light phone given that the latter uses less hardware.
some phones do not need big batteries to last long and some phones that use big batteries may not last as long as you may expect.

Read myth 1
u cant compare a nokia torch light or a light weight phone with a smart phone. a light weight phone cant do what a smart phone can do. ordinary with d use of radio, the battery of a small torchlight tecno phone will run down long before that of a smart phone. there are perks that comes with using large batteries
Re: Smart Phone Battery Myth We Should Stop Believing by sirlop(m): 1:18pm On May 09, 2017
kingobozy:
You've made some solid point op. Smart phones are called smart for a reason. I have a habit of charging my devices overnight and I've noticed no decline in my battery's performance and yes battery saver apps are nothing but BS. iPhone 6s has a battery capacity of about 2000mAh but e dey last die.
1715 mah rather

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aliexpress Package Delivery Attempt Failed,what Shld I Do? / Teleology Takes Over Nigeria’s 9mobile / Top 5 Most Anticipated 5G Smartphones You Would Definitely See In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.