Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,588 members, 7,955,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:35 PM

Victim Blaming: Think First Before You Try To Justify Rape - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Victim Blaming: Think First Before You Try To Justify Rape (435 Views)

How Innocent Are You According To What You Think First? / Nigerian Man Engaged To Oyinbo: “You Won't Know Peace If You Try To Put Asunder” / 10 Excuses Ladies Use To Justify Their Inability To Find Boyfriends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Victim Blaming: Think First Before You Try To Justify Rape by naijafeminist: 10:52pm On May 06, 2017
It saddened my heart when I heard about the sexual assault and rape incidents that occurred among the high school students of Falomo Senior High School and Ireti Grammar School Students. Read the full details here.
I just kept asking myself how we got here as a society. I will tell you why.

1. Our a "hoe/bad girl" deserves to be raped mentality. If only you knew what a forceful sexual intercourse feels like, you would understand that the punishment never and WILL NEVER fit the "supposed crime".
2. The attitude of always looking for loopholes FIRST in the victim's story. I understand that some people falsely accuse others of rape but I thought the low records of that will show that it is less common than true accusations but alas, Nigerians would rather hold on to the VERY FEW fake accusations to uphold the flaws in their thinking. I personally find a fake abuser as bad as a real rapist but that doesn't mean I go hunting for them in every rape story. I always side with the alleged victim first because I would rather not push someone into further anguish due to my doubts.
3. Our disregard for the gravity of sexual assaults. Just like attempted murder - attempted rape, sexual assault, sexual molestation (call it whatever you will) are as serious as rape itself. To term the offense rape, our constitution says there as to be 'carnal knowledge' (that is, penetration). So dry-humping someone without consent, forcing someone to give mouth action, grabbing at someone's sexual organs without being invited (like Yaba boys), blackmailing someone to have sex (e.g. in an office environment), etc all qualify as either sexual assault or sexual molestation. A lawyer would be in a better position to explain the technicalities of these.

Number 3 up there is what those school boys did on that particular day. Also, like the story claimed, a girl had been raped on that street the previous week. This means if you don't stamp your foot on sexual assault, it will eventually in most cases lead to rape. This is why sexual assault is just as bad rape itself.

I have promised myself not to say much so as not to veer off topic, so I'm just going to leave a comment that resonated with me on the linked post of Bellanaija.

Engoz: I hope those comedians that make light of sexual assault are reading. Also the men/women that argue sexual assault on the premise of the ‘type of clothing you wear’ or something along the line of ‘what’s she doing a man’s house’ as if sexual violence is dependent on clothing or location rather than the depravity of the criminal. This is the monster you have created. You have bred monsters for your daughters. Your daughters are now in danger in Nigeria. Young girls in uniforms are getting violated in broad day light. What has been going on in darkness, is now coming to light. Continue making light of rape. The next comedy event you go to, go there and laugh over rape jokes, you hear. Don’t wake up to the reality of Nigeria’s rape culture and the limited MALE role models for boys in our society. Continue holding only girls responsible for sexual morality. Leave the boys to do whatever they like. Continue living in your fake realities as masculinity is being defined as a sexually corrupt immoral entity. Don’t call your boys to order. Continue focusing on the girls the way Reuben Abati, Reno Omokri, Alibaba, etc does. You will never ever see them call their boys to order and question the corruption and thuggery of masculinity. I will help you all question it. M.M thank you for a job well done and bringing this into light.

http://thenaijafeminist..com.ng/2017/05/victim-blaming-think-first-before-you.html

(1) (Reply)

How Much Richer Will You Be If To Retrieve All Money Spent On Your Ex(s) / Ladies Check Yourself: Are You Among These Types Of Ladies Guys Run Away From / Young Woman Crushed To Death After Tractor Flips On Her At Holiday Park(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.