Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? (1860 Views)

Security Agencies Watch-list Supreme Court Justices-the Nations / Nigeria Exits Global Money Laundering And Terrorists Financing Watch List / Fg Places Seven Countries On Terrorism Watch List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 5:30am On Jan 09, 2010
Following the Mutullab effect, the US promptly included Nigeria with Syria, Yemen, Somalia, and Cuba as country to be watched for terrorists. The implications of this new classification is both enormous and depressing for ordinary and innocent Nigerians all over the World. While the official government position in Nigeria has been to issue the USA an ultimatum to withdraw the classification, many patriotic Nigerians agreed that Nigeria indeed needs to be included in the terror watch-list.
What do you think?
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 5:33am On Jan 09, 2010
absolutely not!
the whole action reeks of the US shelving blame.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 5:46am On Jan 09, 2010
Some people like Tam David-West had argued that Nigeria needs to be on that list, because of long history of Islamic religious intolerance.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 5:49am On Jan 09, 2010
Nigeria's islamic unrest never affected any other country. There's a reason they are called internal religious conflicts
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by Jakumo(m): 6:20am On Jan 09, 2010
Instinctively, the temptation is to scoff at the very notion of Nigeria being branded a hotbed of terrorist activity.  There have been no suicide bombs there, and in speaking to Nigerian Muslims, there is never any mention of the 72 virgins promised in paradise to those who commit murder of non-Muslims, BUT, who could ever forget the troubled country's long history of tribal and religious riots, that erupt spontaneously over trivial matters, to spread like wildfire and claim scores of lives in a matter of hours ?

If the opinions expressed anonymously by Nigerians contributing to internet forums such as this one are anything to go by, the mutual loathing between Muslims and Christians runs bone deep, and is primed to erupt from beneath a thin veneer of civility with a virulence that can be startling.   With that pressure-cooker of compressed hatred straining to find expression in a land where political power devolves from tribal and therefore religious allegiances, those regular outbreaks of sectarian mayhem can only be expected.

From the standpoint of being regarded as a pariah nation of fraudsters, drug runners and now of religious zealots, the final nail in Nigeria's coffin was pounded home on Xmas day 2009 in the air over Detroit, Michigan, where a clinically insane monkey-boy of Nigerian ancestry, who had been comprehensively brainwashed by that ever insidious and homicidal Middle Eastern variant of Islam, attempted to murder nearly 300 innocent air-travellers with an explosive device strapped to the very worm with which he evidently hoped to service those virgins awaiting Islamic murderers in heaven's paradise gardens.

Bearing the foregoing sadly in mind, the recent classification of Nigeria as a terrorist state is not in the least surprising, and is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future,  despite the protests of great men like Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by nex(m): 6:36am On Jan 09, 2010
How about the Netherlands? Are they on that list? Is this not racism? Discrimination?

Nigeria, I wish you well.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 6:36am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

Nigeria's islamic unrest never affected any other country. There's a reason they are called internal religious conflicts

Until Christmas day 2009, Nigeria's internal religious conflicts never seemed to affect an outside country, but the idea has always been foreign influenced and foreign based. We can go back in history to as far as the overthrow of legitimate Hausa states by Fulanis proclaiming "purer form of Islam", to Maitastine riots, to the Danish cartoonist, to the English Sudanese teacher who blasphemed Mohammed, to spontenous demonstrations in support of Osama bin Laden in some northern cities, to Boko haram. The idea of religious intolerance and hatred for westerners run dangerously deep and has been brewing in Nigeria for a long time before Christmas day. Mutullab, they say was just one of those with the financial means to carry it out.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by puskin: 7:05am On Jan 09, 2010
naijaking1:

Until Christmas day 2009, Nigeria's internal religious conflicts never seemed to affect an outside country, but the idea has always been foreign influenced and foreign based. We can go back in history to as far as the overthrow of legitimate Hausa states by Fulanis proclaiming "purer form of Islam", to Maitastine riots, to the Danish cartoonist, to the English Sudanese teacher who blasphemed Mohammed, to spontenous demonstrations in support of Osama bin Laden in some northern cities, to Boko haram. The idea of religious intolerance and hatred for westerners run dangerously deep and has been brewing in Nigeria for a long time before Christmas day. Mutullab, they say was just one of those with the financial means to carry it out.

. . . . . and if others with this kind of financial means pop-out, then . . . . . . . . . mMm. . . I hope they better not pop-out.
Thats why the US took it upon themselves to take this precautionary measure.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 7:14am On Jan 09, 2010
^^^^
Yeap!
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 7:15am On Jan 09, 2010
Do you guys watch the news or follow the story at all?
he confessed himself he was recruited while in London, So unless london is now the name of a city, street, local government. . .you get my point in Nigeria, I absolutely do not see the reason or the justification for placing Nigeria on the list, and this is not because i happen to be a nigerian.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 7:17am On Jan 09, 2010
^^^^
Didn't you also see a report that said the guy got his explosives from naija?
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by Kobojunkie: 7:20am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

Do you guys watch the news or follow the story at all?
he confessed himself he was recruited while in London, So unless london is now the name of a city, street, local government. . .you get my point in Nigeria, I absolutely do not see the reason or the justification for placing Nigeria on the list, and this is not because i happen to be a nigerian.

@Bluespice, could it simply be that you make the assumption that the blacklisting starts, and ends with the events of last month? I don’t believe to be the case here.
Our apathetic approach to dealing with our many internal terror issues, coupled with the absence of our government for 45 days and counting, is probably seen as a cause for concern, especially for the United States and its fight against terrorism.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by sammyzacks(m): 7:33am On Jan 09, 2010
Terrorism being referred to here is "Islamic extremism". And the lack of proper handling of our religious crisis by the Nigerian Gov in the country over the years, simply points to the fact that Nigeria is already on the LIST of countries to WATCHout for as far as EXTREMISM is concerned.

Let's not wait for others to tell us the truth. We should tell it to ourselves.

Precaution is always better than cure!
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 7:38am On Jan 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

@Bluespice, could it simply be that you make the assumption that the blacklisting starts, and ends with the events of last month? I don’t believe to be the case here.
Our apathetic approach to dealing with our many internal terror issues, coupled with the absence of our government for 45 days and counting, is probably seen as a cause for concern, especially for the United States and its fight against terrorism.

actually it does, they had intel two months prior to his failed bombing, why wait until he tried and failed and then it became a public specter before going public on the need to have Nigeria on the terrorist list?
naijaking1:

^^^^
Didn't you also see a report that said the guy got his explosives from naija?
again i'll need proof cos that's not what i read here
The would-be bomber has told the United States authorities that he was operating under instructions from the al-Qaeda network based in Yemen. US news station ABC says he was trained north of the Yemeni capital Sana’a by a Saudi bomb expert, from whom he acquired his explosives. US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says he acted alone and was not part of a wider conspiracy.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by Kobojunkie: 7:46am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

actually it does, they had intel two months prior to his failed bombing, why wait until he tried and failed and then it became a public specter before going public on the need to have Nigeria on the terrorist list?

Nigeria has been on a watch list for longer than that. I cannot right now remember the list but we have been on a terror watch list or some other infamous list of that sort for some years now. In addition, the many religious riots, and our governments lazy approach to tackling violence in the country has helped contribute to all this in some way. Now top that off with the current situation where we find ourselves today. Our own government walks out, without so much as a word on when it will be back and the country on auto-pilot since November of last year, and then the lonely boy turned bomber issue. I think it is not just about this bomber, but everything. Then there is the direct influence islam has on government in most of the north.

I would also consider the millions in funding we have gotten from the US to help fight terrorism from our end --- money that mostly seems to have ended up in private pockets, with nothing to show for it all on the most part. It is not just about the bomber and the events of the last 2 months, this is more than that.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 8:00am On Jan 09, 2010
I don't know what list you have been looking at ma'am but Nigeria was recently put on the list
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre6044eg-us-security-airline-nigeria/
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by Kobojunkie: 8:02am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

I don't know what list you have been looking at ma'am but Nigeria was recently put on the list
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre6044eg-us-security-airline-nigeria/

This is not the only infamous list we have been on. I can't seem to find it but we were sort of lumped in with some of the same countries, only I cannot seem to remember what the list was about, but definitely had something to do with religious extremism/violence or something along those lines.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 8:05am On Jan 09, 2010
do avail me of where to find such information when you do find it
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 8:10am On Jan 09, 2010
sammyzacks:

Terrorism being referred to here is "Islamic extremism". And the lack of proper handling of our religious crisis by the Nigerian Gov in the country over the years, simply points to the fact that Nigeria is already on the LIST of countries to WATCHout for as far as EXTREMISM is concerned.

Let's not wait for others to tell us the truth. We should tell it to ourselves.

Precaution is always better than cure!

Strong words. Reality bites shocked
The family of Gideon Akakwu, the Christian trader who was decapitated in Kano, and his head hung on a pole would propbaby agree.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by Kobojunkie: 8:12am On Jan 09, 2010
I am already on page 20 on my google search trying to find something remotely close to what I know of. As soon as I find it, I will post it.

To be honest,  I don't really have an opinion on this issue. I mean I was not shocked by the decision. I feel we had it coming, and the only way we can deal with it is do what we should have done from the beginning about our many issues.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 8:15am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

do avail me of where to find such information when you do find it

Do we really need a list to show that Islamic religious acts of terrorism has been going on in Nigeria for a while now. We probably think that no foreign country or agency knows about Boko Haram, the Jos riots/looting/murder and rape, Maitasine, etc
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 8:36am On Jan 09, 2010
You guys,
Let me state it that i honestly don't see anything wrong in using the full powers of the law against countries or people with terrorist inclinations or supporters of terrorism, I would have understood if Nigeria was placed on the list at any other time when the safety of ANY country was threatened by the activities of Nigerians, but placing Nigeria on the list solely because the terrorist hails from Nigeria and had a pit stop in Nigeria before he continued onwards to the US is what i have problems with. Being Nigerian just got ten times worse.

I'll accept any day that there are people of terrorist inclinations in Nigeria, which country doesn't have them? but if the US was being just, England too should be on that list because of the shoe bomber.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by Kobojunkie: 8:42am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

You guys,
Let me state it that i honestly don't see anything wrong in using the full powers of the law against countries or people with terrorist inclinations or supporters of terrorism, I would have understood if Nigeria was placed on the list at any other time when the safety of ANY country was threatened by the activities of Nigerians, but placing Nigeria on the list solely because the terrorist hails from Nigeria and had a pit stop in Nigeria before he continued onwards to the US is what i have problems with. Being Nigerian just got ten times worse.

I'll accept any day that there are people of terrorist inclinations in Nigeria, which country doesn't have them? but if the US was being just, England too should be on that list because of the shoe bomber.

Wait a second , Was this the reason we were given for why Nigerians are to be thoroughly screened?
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 8:45am On Jan 09, 2010
oh dear no!
that's my inference, there is yet to be an official reason at least to my knowledge
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 9:04am On Jan 09, 2010
Abuja chapter of NBA reacts: http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

[size=18pt]Nigeria Does Not Deserve Blacklisting – NBA [/size]
Written by By Igho Iyoyo , Abuja
Saturday, 09 January 2010 00:46
The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Abuja chapter, has described the blacklisting of Nigeria by the United States of America as unfortunate and uncalled for, since a single act perpetrated by an individual should not amount to blacklisting an entire nation.

Abdul Ibrahim, Chairman, NBA, Abuja chapter, who spoke to LEADERSHIP Weekend said that America took a decision that should be reversed because Nigeria does not deserve to be blacklisted since it has been a country that has always supported United Nations in the fight against terrorism.

He said it became also disheartening that instead of America to blame themselves for the recent development, despite the fact that the father of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab informed the United States embassy and the appropriate authority about the suspicious movement of his son, the authorities in charge did not take the report seriously.

"So if they are going to blacklist Nigeria on the outcome of that incidence despite the information from the father, it is most unfortunate. Left to me, Nigeria should on its part, also blacklist America, because some Americans have also come to this country to misbehave and we have not blacklisted them. So one single incident is not enough to blacklist a nation of about 150,000,000 people.

"The seven days ultimatum given to America to withdraw the name of Nigeria from that list by the Senate is okay, but I wonder if they have the jurisdiction to that effect. All we need to do is to react positively, and also blacklist and subject Americans who are coming into Nigeria to what they intend to subject Nigerians to in their country," he said.

Ibrahim explained that crime is not peculiar to any tribe or nation, that any human being whereever he is in the world can be a criminal and that there are also criminals in America. He thereby stressed that Nigerians should also subject Americans to the kind of rigorous security scrutiny just the way Americans are subjecting Nigerians in America.

"One thing Nigerians should know is that America depends more on our oil. In Nigeria, we believe in Westernisation and that is part of the problems we are having in this country. Maybe, this is even good so that it will discourage a lot of people, because any Nigerian that makes little money will want to go to America without planning to invest here in Nigeria.

"But on my own part, I will advocate that we subject the Americans to serious security check when they are coming into the country too, because what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Crime is not synonymous with any particular nation or tribe, it is everywhere.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 9:13am On Jan 09, 2010
My sentiments exactly! the actions of one single national does not justify tagging 150 million and counting people as terrorists. It's completely atrocious and speaks of the sensitivity and actual wisdom of the obama administration.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by Jakumo(m): 9:32am On Jan 09, 2010
Gigantic undersea oil reserves have just recently been discovered in vast swathes of international waters stretching between South America and Africa, so the potency of the petroleum card as a tool of modern diplomacy could well be on the wane already.  The Nigerian government may have discovered as much when it hastily retracted a laughable "ultimatum to behave" earlier bleated at the US government in protest over the blacklisting of Nigerian air travellers triggered by the failed Xmas day terror attack which had been perpetrated by a Nigerian-born 72-Virgin seeker from the country's looting class.

Vigorous prosecution of those who foment religious strife in Nigeria would be a good start on the path to redeeming what is left of her international standing, but good starts are as rare and unlikely in Nigeria as honest policemen.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 9:35am On Jan 09, 2010
Jakumo:

Gigantic undersea oil reserves have just recently been discovered in vast swathes of international waters stretching between South America and Africa, so the potency of the petroleum card as a tool of modern diplomacy could well be on the wane already.  The Nigerian government may have discovered as much when it hastily retracted a laughable "ultimatum to behave" earlier bleated at the US government in protest over the blacklisting of Nigerian air travellers triggered by the failed Xmas day terror attack which had been perpetrated by a Nigerian-born 72-Virgin seeker from the country's looting class.

Vigorous prosecution of those who foment religious strife in Nigeria would be a good start on the path to redeeming what is left of her international standing, but good starts are as rare and unlikely in Nigeria as honest policemen.
pray tell do you write? cheesy
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by SEFAGO(m): 9:38am On Jan 09, 2010
Gigantic undersea oil reserves have just recently been discovered in vast swathes of international waters stretching between South America and Africa, so the potency of the petroleum card as a tool of modern diplomacy could well be on the wane already. The Nigerian government may have discovered as much when it hastily retracted a laughable "ultimatum to behave" earlier bleated at the US government in protest over the blacklisting of Nigerian air travellers triggered by the failed Xmas day terror attack which had been perpetrated by a Nigerian-born 72-Virgin seeker from the country's looting class.

Yeah I read about that. However, I am skeptical about the potential of the oil reserves since technology to extract the oil might outweigh the profits. I agree though Nigerian Oil is losing its appeal to the west undecided.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by naijaking1: 9:41am On Jan 09, 2010
Here's a counter view, very well expressed: http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

[size=18pt]US is right on Nigeria[/size]
By Ikenna Emewu [ikenna@sunnewsonline.com]
Saturday, January 9, 2010

I understand the outrage by Nigerians over the decision of US to include us in the terror list. It has become so bad that we are listed alongside the deadly Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and even Iraq. Yes, that serves us right. We had it coming, and we watched folding our hands to wait for it. Today, it is here at last, and the same people who did nothing to curtail it are the same ones squealing.

I don’t make sense in this cry over whether Nigeria is a terror nation or not. The simple and practical truth is that one of us, a terrorist, a suicide bomber, a potential murderer in incubation by his association is a terror merchant. He was caught and never made any denials because he was caught in the act. We may complain and cry or rail at US, but these wont change the reality that Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab is a terrorist. His father saw the signs before he bared his fangs and ran for cover. But for his timely move to report to the US CIA and others on time, today, he would have been quickly branded by US and Britain as Al-Qaeda financier given his heavy cash chest. He escaped it, and I am happy for the old Mutallab.

Terrorism is high crime. It is no child’s play and whoever is caught in the act pays highly. The after effect is that even the clean and good citizens of the nation are all tagged bad alongside their heady brother who had the guts to blow out 300 lives in a flash.

Let us sincerely put ourselves in the shoes of the US and ask if we would not have taken drastic action to safeguard ourselves from threats such as terrorism. The nation has taken its position on Nigeria. That may be so harsh anywhere, but it is unfortunate that we could do a little about it.
It does not make sense to me that our Senate is blowing hot on this, because I am sure when the chips are down, they would understand that their ‘we will fight it out with US’ approach would compound our case.

We are not all terrorists, no doubt, and no nation is. But do the victims care about our sentiments? All they know is to apply their measures and get redress and safety.
Before Farouk took to the skies with death in his hands that would have sent 300 souls yonder and the damage to the airline operators and the shock to the world security, he imbibed the art from somewhere. I am sure that some two years ago, it made news that US warned Nigeria that people with strong Al-Qaeda links are in Nigeria, and also alerted of their possible attack. I don’t know how the matter was treated or reacted to, but I know that Nigeria is a nation so familiar with internal terrorist attacks of its peculiar nature that occurs every now and then. Mark you being terrorist does not mean being a plane or suicide bomber. It means being a terror to other people’s existence and peace.

We have always been that to ourselves in Nigeria. So are we not terrorists, maybe not to US but to Nigeria. Sometime between the end of August and early September last year, the Boko Haram took the stage in Maiduguri and Bauchi. Last week kalo kato struck in Bauchi and many killed.

When the Boko Haram leader was arrested and later assassinated by the police, we cried it was wrong and that he should have been spared to get more information from him. But all were gross nonsense. Boko Haram and the conspirators just got a slap on their wrist and continued. The second nature and name of Nigeria is a boiling cauldron where lives have no value. People are killed in their hundreds at least twice every year in the north, and I say it boldly, including the killings of last year that nobody was ever prosecuted to serve as deterrent. The northern governors at the last massacre by Boko Haram came out to delude themselves of a plan to create laws (as if they never existed) to punish offenders. Since August last year they made the promise, what else have we heard from them?

That culture we sowed the seed in Nigeria over time has matured and grown tall to reach the skies where it blazes with the fire to spill blood in hundreds of litters. Although he might have been trained outside Nigeria, Farouk just climaxed that attitude that has been in us – of killing and killing again without any guilt of punishment. As we condone the known killers, we empower the trainee killers to sharpen their teeth into axes and kill more and boast about it because nobody will ever punish them.

What is happening to us now may be the accumulation of the rewards of a nation that saw no evil in a woman teacher being snatched out of the classroom by her pupils and butchered in the presence of her crying baby in Gombe State. It is not done anywhere else. We can’t hide this forever, and the busy bodies are crying and shouting themselves hoarse to convince the world that we are not terrorists. We are not terrorists to the level Mutallab has taken us, but we had been that since the 1950s among those we call our brothers in the country.

While the massacre goes on within Nigeria, the whole world hears and takes note. So when one of us goes international with killing, they take more than a passing interest in him. That is the basic truth we should admit. US believes very strongly that those killers in Nigeria who slaughter their brothers with impunity are potential international suicide bombers and with Farouk already unleashed, they simply conclude that more will still come from here to seize the skies.

Unfortunately, while Nigeria holds dear to terrorism among the citizens and doesn’t punish terrorists, the outer world criminalizes it. They caught one and want to show him some example of the weight of his act. Painfully, all of us, including those that cannot spell Al-Qaeda or suicide or bomb are victims. It is pitiably our lot, and too bad.
It has touched on our international image that is why they are jumping around to make claims on why US is wrong or right. While I know what it means for a country to have a bad image before the world and the value of good name, I also don’t place less value on the lives of the citizens of this nation. The least Nigeria does is to step up action and defend her citizens at home or abroad from danger to their lives. That is why Charles Taylor killed Nigerians in thousands only for Obasanjo to bring him here and take care of his family with our resources.

When issues like this arise between Mutallab and the world, the countries involved thrash it out at the diplomatic level. But we have no ambassador in the US, and our president is not available, so who would have blocked the loophole as to save us the embarrassment.

If a society or an individual forms the habit of taking things for granted it affects him in more ways than he could imagine. The health of our president and the need for his deputy to act until he comes back has been an issue for endless lies and baseless politics. We have unwittingly built a nation of lies managed by people who feel information management means telling blatant lies. As we practice it here, so we do at the outside world.

I am of the firm assertion that the people in power should blame themselves for not playing the right diplomatic game or pushing the right button to throw open the doors of the US before they labeled us terrorist nation. They have not even established that the state of Nigeria sponsored Farouk before they moved against all of us. But when I have a problem, I should first assess myself to know how I contributed to it. Can we actually say we managed the situation well since December 25 the name of the nation became the song or more appropriately a dirge on international media?

We needed to move in experts to commence the lobby, but the people that have access to power are cut-and-nail party members who don’t know more than their ingenuity in funding and sponsoring thuggery in political parties and are compensated with appointments.
The case of the drastic action and red letter US placed on Nigeria is a sign of the pains they feel about one of us who hit them at the heart. Whenever a man is defending himself, he might take very bizarre steps, but they are all justifiable to him so long as he gets the safety he wants.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 9:45am On Jan 09, 2010
SEFAGO:

Yeah I read about that. However, I am skeptical about the potential of the oil reserves since technology to extract the oil might outweigh the profits. I agree though Nigerian Oil is losing its appeal to the west undecided.
Green peace is up in arms against the mining of off-shore oil fields and throwing up road blocks at every possible stop, so the mining of the reserves are not billed to start soon at least. The value of Nigerian oil is not exactly loosing its appeal, the slow shift of worldwide obsession with oil to more ecologically friendly energy sources is making oil generally less appealing, not a direct stab at Nigerian crude oil.
Re: Should Nigeria Be On The Terror Watch-list? by bluespice(f): 9:48am On Jan 09, 2010
naijaking1:

Here's a counter view, very well expressed: http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

[size=18pt]US is right on Nigeria[/size]
By Ikenna Emewu [ikenna@sunnewsonline.com]
Saturday, January 9, 2010

I understand the outrage by Nigerians over the decision of US to include us in the terror list. It has become so bad that we are listed alongside the deadly Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and even Iraq. Yes, that serves us right. We had it coming, and we watched folding our hands to wait for it. Today, it is here at last, and the same people who did nothing to curtail it are the same ones squealing.

I don’t make sense in this cry over whether Nigeria is a terror nation or not. The simple and practical truth is that one of us, a terrorist, a suicide bomber, a potential murderer in incubation by his association is a terror merchant. He was caught and never made any denials because he was caught in the act. We may complain and cry or rail at US, but these wont change the reality that Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab is a terrorist. His father saw the signs before he bared his fangs and ran for cover. But for his timely move to report to the US CIA and others on time, today, he would have been quickly branded by US and Britain as Al-Qaeda financier given his heavy cash chest. He escaped it, and I am happy for the old Mutallab.

Terrorism is high crime. It is no child’s play and whoever is caught in the act pays highly. The after effect is that even the clean and good citizens of the nation are all tagged bad alongside their heady brother who had the guts to blow out 300 lives in a flash.

Let us sincerely put ourselves in the shoes of the US and ask if we would not have taken drastic action to safeguard ourselves from threats such as terrorism. The nation has taken its position on Nigeria. That may be so harsh anywhere, but it is unfortunate that we could do a little about it.
It does not make sense to me that our Senate is blowing hot on this, because I am sure when the chips are down, they would understand that their ‘we will fight it out with US’ approach would compound our case.

We are not all terrorists, no doubt, and no nation is. But do the victims care about our sentiments? All they know is to apply their measures and get redress and safety.
Before Farouk took to the skies with death in his hands that would have sent 300 souls yonder and the damage to the airline operators and the shock to the world security, he imbibed the art from somewhere. I am sure that some two years ago, it made news that US warned Nigeria that people with strong Al-Qaeda links are in Nigeria, and also alerted of their possible attack. I don’t know how the matter was treated or reacted to, but I know that Nigeria is a nation so familiar with internal terrorist attacks of its peculiar nature that occurs every now and then. Mark you being terrorist does not mean being a plane or suicide bomber. It means being a terror to other people’s existence and peace.

We have always been that to ourselves in Nigeria. So are we not terrorists, maybe not to US but to Nigeria. Sometime between the end of August and early September last year, the Boko Haram took the stage in Maiduguri and Bauchi. Last week kalo kato struck in Bauchi and many killed.

When the Boko Haram leader was arrested and later assassinated by the police, we cried it was wrong and that he should have been spared to get more information from him. But all were gross nonsense. Boko Haram and the conspirators just got a slap on their wrist and continued. The second nature and name of Nigeria is a boiling cauldron where lives have no value. People are killed in their hundreds at least twice every year in the north, and I say it boldly, including the killings of last year that nobody was ever prosecuted to serve as deterrent. The northern governors at the last massacre by Boko Haram came out to delude themselves of a plan to create laws (as if they never existed) to punish offenders. Since August last year they made the promise, what else have we heard from them?

That culture we sowed the seed in Nigeria over time has matured and grown tall to reach the skies where it blazes with the fire to spill blood in hundreds of litters. Although he might have been trained outside Nigeria, Farouk just climaxed that attitude that has been in us – of killing and killing again without any guilt of punishment. As we condone the known killers, we empower the trainee killers to sharpen their teeth into axes and kill more and boast about it because nobody will ever punish them.

What is happening to us now may be the accumulation of the rewards of a nation that saw no evil in a woman teacher being snatched out of the classroom by her pupils and butchered in the presence of her crying baby in Gombe State. It is not done anywhere else. We can’t hide this forever, and the busy bodies are crying and shouting themselves hoarse to convince the world that we are not terrorists. We are not terrorists to the level Mutallab has taken us, but we had been that since the 1950s among those we call our brothers in the country.

While the massacre goes on within Nigeria, the whole world hears and takes note. So when one of us goes international with killing, they take more than a passing interest in him. That is the basic truth we should admit. US believes very strongly that those killers in Nigeria who slaughter their brothers with impunity are potential international suicide bombers and with Farouk already unleashed, they simply conclude that more will still come from here to seize the skies.

Unfortunately, while Nigeria holds dear to terrorism among the citizens and doesn’t punish terrorists, the outer world criminalizes it. They caught one and want to show him some example of the weight of his act. Painfully, all of us, including those that cannot spell Al-Qaeda or suicide or bomb are victims. It is pitiably our lot, and too bad.
It has touched on our international image that is why they are jumping around to make claims on why US is wrong or right. While I know what it means for a country to have a bad image before the world and the value of good name, I also don’t place less value on the lives of the citizens of this nation. The least Nigeria does is to step up action and defend her citizens at home or abroad from danger to their lives. That is why Charles Taylor killed Nigerians in thousands only for Obasanjo to bring him here and take care of his family with our resources.

When issues like this arise between Mutallab and the world, the countries involved thrash it out at the diplomatic level. But we have no ambassador in the US, and our president is not available, so who would have blocked the loophole as to save us the embarrassment.

If a society or an individual forms the habit of taking things for granted it affects him in more ways than he could imagine. The health of our president and the need for his deputy to act until he comes back has been an issue for endless lies and baseless politics. We have unwittingly built a nation of lies managed by people who feel information management means telling blatant lies. As we practice it here, so we do at the outside world.

I am of the firm assertion that the people in power should blame themselves for not playing the right diplomatic game or pushing the right button to throw open the doors of the US before they labeled us terrorist nation. They have not even established that the state of Nigeria sponsored Farouk before they moved against all of us. But when I have a problem, I should first assess myself to know how I contributed to it. Can we actually say we managed the situation well since December 25 the name of the nation became the song or more appropriately a dirge on international media?

We needed to move in experts to commence the lobby, but the people that have access to power are cut-and-nail party members who don’t know more than their ingenuity in funding and sponsoring thuggery in political parties and are compensated with appointments.
The case of the drastic action and red letter US placed on Nigeria is a sign of the pains they feel about one of us who hit them at the heart. Whenever a man is defending himself, he might take very bizarre steps, but they are all justifiable to him so long as he gets the safety he wants.

what does he mean by there is no Nigerian ambassador in US? is he sure he isn't thinking of the non-existent president?
Until when someone can tell me as he so wonderfully put it 'that the Nigerian state sponsored mutallab', PUTTING NIGERIA ON THE LIST IS NOT JUSTIFIABLE.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Group Breaks Away From Mend As Implosion Of Mend Begins. / Igbo Cause Of Ogbulafor’s Problem -iwuanyanwu / Obasanjo’s In-law Floors Statoil Over Agbami Oil Field

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.