Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? (6744 Views)

The Power Of SAYING No. Book By James Altucher / Lady Comes Under Fire For Saying Majority Of Nigerias Are Receiving Above N130k / Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Macgreat(m): 10:38pm On May 07, 2017
In a typical Nigerian setting

when your boss sent you to go and be a lier , "thief" and an imposter or an impersonator at an Event and you refuse then you get suspended and later forced to resign.

1. There was no official "written" communication.

2. This assignment was given after office hour (5pm).

Question: is there is professional way of saying "NO"
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Macgreat(m): 10:46pm On May 07, 2017
Seun, Lalasticlala
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 10:55pm On May 07, 2017
Skibo! ..Op send me your madam number..shebi na to attend d event? I've been attending events I was not even invited since I was a kid.

Following this post bumper to bumper..

6 Likes

Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Nobody: 7:16am On May 08, 2017
Following
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Goldenheart(m): 7:16am On May 08, 2017
undecided
Do what you got to do.... If you don't feel like doing shiii, that's your cup of kunu ...
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Celestyn8213: 7:16am On May 08, 2017
Yes... Just keep quiet. Action speaks louder than words.
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by dheespectre: 7:16am On May 08, 2017
NO is NO!!

Meanwhile, generator power booster for heating elements like iron, boiling ring, etc for sale..
N4500 only
In Lagos
0811 9387235
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by In2systemsTech(m): 7:17am On May 08, 2017
Official way: factory reset slap for your boss
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by SexyNairalander: 7:17am On May 08, 2017
booked
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Raydans: 7:18am On May 08, 2017
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Nobody: 7:18am On May 08, 2017
Macgreat:
Question: is there a professional way of saying "NO"

There is; give clear reasons why.

It's even better if you can POLITELY appeal to the boss's sense of judgement.

For instance:

"Sir, this instruction seems to suggest I should be a liar and an impostor, both ILLEGAL acts that can ruin the reputation of this company.

"Sir, this could even be reported on Nairaland for the whole world to see. I suggest we look for other ways of building the company that will not put us to shame, Sir"

Something like that

9 Likes

Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by gaetano: 7:21am On May 08, 2017
"No oooo"
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Abdul124(m): 7:23am On May 08, 2017
yeah.! by doing d assignment wrongly.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Sheikhmd007(m): 7:25am On May 08, 2017
BRIGHTRIVERS:
Skibo! ..Op send me your madam number..shebi na to attend d event? I've been attending events I was not even invited since I was a kid.

Following this post bumper to bumper..
So you are a pot.
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by MidasTouche01(m): 7:25am On May 08, 2017
Saying, I'm sorry sir/ma, this is wrong / unethical, I can't do it
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by idee91: 7:28am On May 08, 2017
You blow a whistle if there are policies to protect whistle blowers
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by okenwa(m): 7:29am On May 08, 2017
Remind your boss that you were employed by the organisation on grounds of integrity and honesty.
the errands you are sending me definitely defy these principles. Sir, you may please assign someone else to represent......

Or

Sir, I haven't represented this organisation in this capacity before and I may not be able to do it better than the other person who has been representing. Please assign another person

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by bigtt76(f): 7:38am On May 08, 2017
Send an email to the boss to reconfirm what s/he wants you to do. That way you've documented who sent you. There's the likelihood you would get no response hence no need for you to act.

If you get a response, reply with reasons why you shouldn't do that. If you're sacked, you got evidence with which to sue their a55!

Macgreat:
In a typical Nigerian setting

when your boss sent you to go and be a lier , "thief" and an imposter or an impersonator at an Event and you refuse then you get suspended and later forced to resign.

1. There was no official "written" communication.

2. This assignment was given after office hour (5pm).

Question: is there is professional way of saying "NO"

9 Likes

Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by GoldenJAT(m): 7:43am On May 08, 2017
never u pretend!!if ur conscience aint buying in2 it....then somethin is definitely wrong somewhere.its just dt some pple av tis mentality of always tryin 2 please everi1.maintain ur stance...and if u r laid off..Move over 2d next job like a boss...talkin frm experience.
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Nobody: 7:50am On May 08, 2017
Just say NO.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Spainze007(m): 8:05am On May 08, 2017
See dis people forming Saint ooooo hmmmmm
We are Nigerians... We kw ourselves
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Xzbit91: 8:09am On May 08, 2017
Spainze007:
See dis people forming Saint ooooo hmmmmm
We are Nigerians... We kw ourselves

What do you mean by the bolded?
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by jericco1(m): 8:37am On May 08, 2017
NO is No
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by PeacenLove2: 9:12am On May 08, 2017
Just say Okay, sir. Don't go if you don't want to go. If he calls you kater, tell him you have jedi jedi and you have been in and out of the toilet. Tell a lie too, any kind that flies. He who like lie must chop lie too. grin

1 Like

Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by sbashir10(m): 9:19am On May 08, 2017
that's why i don't call myself a realist, I'm an idealist, you send me on an errand i don't like, and i couldn't tell it to your face that i cannot do it.

I'll simply put up an act, and I'll lie to you instead that i did it but wasn't successful.

this in particular i usually do to an aunty, who likes sending to her debtors, i won't even hesitate, I'll simply walk around the street then come back and tell her i couldn't find the debtor around
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by gift01: 9:37am On May 08, 2017
Add for a bogus bonus or something expensive that will put him off. But try to document everything. Don't try being a sheep cos he's already crossed the line. It could also be a test. Play smart
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Nobody: 10:56am On May 08, 2017
If it's a one man's company and he is the MD, there is little you can do. However, If he is not the MD but just a line manager or supervisor. You can do a mail to him telling him you have other duties as assigned in your contract.. like you preparing for a deadline. You are a bit safe here since his errands are unofficial. The copy of the mail will be your saving grace. Same applies to multinational firm.
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by foody(f): 11:32am On May 08, 2017
A child answered this question some years back.
The landlord came knocking on Mr..... door and said Junior how are you? Open the door and is your father in?
Junior answered wait I am coming.
Junior's father beckoned to Junior and told him to tell the landlord that he was not around .
Junior went back to the door and said good morning Sir, my daddy just went to the room now and said I should tell you that he is not around.....
Hope the story helps
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Thobiy(m): 12:12pm On May 08, 2017
alignacademy:

For instance:

"Sir, this instruction seems to suggest I should be a liar and an impostor, both ILLEGAL acts that can ruin the reputation of this company.

"Sir, this could even be reported on Nairaland for the whole world to see. I suggest we look for other ways of building the company that will not put us to shame, Sir"

Something like that
This sound good
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Spainze007(m): 9:48pm On May 08, 2017
What am saying is how many Nigerians would Say *NO*

when u kw uve not seen another JOB in the filling station to be selling fuel...

Xzbit91:

What do you mean by the bolded?
Re: Is There A Professional Way Of Saying "NO" ? by Macgreat(m): 12:58am On Jun 02, 2017
alignacademy:

For instance:

Something like that

Nice one sir

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sacked After Resumption From Maternity Leave / Ibadan Bolt/taxify Driver’s, Share Experiences And Advice. / Start Popcorn Business With Just #50k And Make A Minimum Of #50k Monthly.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.