Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name (1383 Views)

I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname / I Will Not Bear My Husband’s Name-What are the Consequences? / I Can’t Bear My Husband’s Strong Sexual Urge: Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 07, 2017
I have decided that, my children will not bear my father's name (as their surname) but will rather make them bear my own name (as their surname).

Is there anything bad!

Hope I am on point?

1 Like

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by maclatunji: 10:51pm On May 07, 2017
olorunwa90:
I have decided that, my children will not bear my father's name (as their surname) but will rather make them bear my own name (as their surname).

Is there anything bad!

Hope I am on point?

Not nice, it will just create unnecessary dichotomy in your extended family and your children and their descendants may be negatively affected.

2 Likes

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by SuperSuave(m): 11:27pm On May 07, 2017
maclatunji:

Not nice, it will just create unnecessary dichotomy in your extended family and your children and their descendants may be negatively affected.
I'm confused, isn't their father's name supposed to be their surname in the first place?
Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by Winneygirl(f): 11:28pm On May 07, 2017
I bear my Father's name.

1 Like

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by maclatunji: 11:35pm On May 07, 2017
SuperSuave:
I'm confused, isn't their father's name supposed to be their surname in the first place?

We bear the surnames of our fathers not their first names in this part of the world.

1 Like

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by giftedheart1(m): 11:42pm On May 07, 2017
I see no reason why my children should not have my name as their surname. My surname is not even my father's... It belongs to a generation he can't trace.

2 Likes

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by eleko1: 11:59pm On May 07, 2017
very silly.Dnt cut ur family tue/tree.

1 Like

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by blank(f): 12:05am On May 08, 2017
I subscribe to this. Start another genealogy. Our forefathers bore the names of their fathers. Wonder why they stopped.

1 Like

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by mctowel01: 6:06am On May 08, 2017
olorunwa90:

Is there anything bad!

Hope I am on point?
If you will share, what is your reason for that?

1 Like

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by SuperSuave(m): 7:54am On May 08, 2017
maclatunji:

We bear the surnames of our fathers not their first names in this part of the world.
Me and my siblings are using the first name and I prefer it that way.
Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by Viking007(m): 8:01am On May 08, 2017
giftedheart1:
I see no reason why my children should not have my name as their surname. My surname is not even my father's... It belongs to a generation he can't trace.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by Lunagirl(f): 8:24am On May 08, 2017
I like that you are strong enough to think about that. Personally, my siblings and I bear my father's own name.

Now let me point out some of the disadvantages I noticed.

We are somewhat disconnected from the larger family. While everyone is bearing a particular surname, we are bearing something else. It feels somewhat, trust me.

There is this joy that comes when you see or reconnect with a distant relation, especially when you guys share same surname. Sometimes people trace you simply because of the familiarity of your surname. I won't know because nobody ever asked me.

Essentially, just know that you are building another branch of the family. If everyone decides to start bearing their father's name, imagine how it will go.

3 Likes

Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by Nobody: 12:55pm On May 08, 2017
with that-
- You're building another branch of the family
- There will be a disconnect with your extended family. Imagine your brother keeps to the family name or does as you, that's an awkward situation for your kids.
- In the future, tracing family lineage would be difficult for your generation.

but then, it's your decision to make and it's the norm with millennials this days, so you're not alone.

For instance, I & my brother bear my great grandfather's name - the family name.
my half siblings choose my father's name.

I hope it doesn't cause friction in future for us.
Re: My Unborn Will Bear My Own Name by Acidosis(m): 2:36pm On May 08, 2017
For some of us whose grandparents picked their names from the Bible, it is complete fuc.kery to maintain such names simply because we want to be identified with a deity.

If your surname is Abraham, Joseph or John, you can pass the name to your descendants because an unfounded tradition says so.

Same apply to many of our indigenous names. A lot of Adenuga exist on Facebook with no connection with the Adenuga we all know. You'd meet some very poor Atiku today, you'd begin to wonder how they come about their own Atiku.

Just give your children a good and well deserved name. Do not displease yourself and your children over what a deity or "society" says.

It could be very embarrassing when people begin to ask why your own Adenuga cannot afford N200 recharge card, or why your own Obasanjo is so stingy. It gets worse when a member of your extended family decides to commit a terrible crime. It will forever remains a stain upon the whole descendants.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

World Most Expensive Baby Crib Costs N4.2 Billion / My elder brother just ghosts/disappears. It's getting worrisome! / Your Experience While U Rejected Food At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.