Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Which Herbicide Can I Use? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Which Herbicide Can I Use? (9002 Views)

Which ? / Herbicide For Cassava Farm / Herbicide To Control Weed In Maize Farming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Herbicide Can I Use? by sagacious2016: 2:16pm On May 08, 2017
I just planted about 30 acres of maize only and sprayed with chemical immediately

But there is a little problem. The maize is about three weeks old but it has almost been taken over by weed. This is despite spraying with athrazine and ParaeForce herbicides immediately after planting.
Now I don't know which herbicide to use that will not affect my maize but will kill the weeds both broadleaf and grasses.
Any expert advice will be appreciated.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by sagacious2016: 2:25pm On May 08, 2017
please respond if you have an idea
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by sagacious2016: 4:45pm On May 08, 2017
Update:
Just got Striker by Saro Africa. To be mixed with athrazine.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by peterbello(m): 10:23pm On Jun 17, 2017
sagacious2016:
Update:

So what is the update? Did the Striker work for you?
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by famagro: 10:29pm On Jun 17, 2017
I have used Attraforce with good results.

1 Like

Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by stagger: 12:15pm On Jun 18, 2017
sagacious2016:
Update:

I believe Striker is the solution, at least according to Saro Africa. It is a selective agent, unlike Glyphosate.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by alakara(m): 3:25pm On Jun 18, 2017
use striker or select.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by sagacious2016: 6:56pm On Jun 18, 2017
peterbello:

Actually, it didn't really work. Got another chemical called Top Nicol and it worked like magic. Though it's quite slow as it took about three weeks for the weeds to die but it worked all the same.
So painful I didn't go for this choice earlier on.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by sagacious2016: 11:18pm On Jun 18, 2017
peterbello:

The striker was not as effective as expected so I used another selective herbicide, Top Nicol and it was fantastic. In about three weeks time, it should be ready for harvesting.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by peterbello(m): 8:34am On Jun 19, 2017
sagacious2016:

The striker was not as effective as expected so I used another selective herbicide, Top Nicol and it was fantastic. In about three weeks time, it should be ready for harvesting.

OK. Thanks for the prompt feedback as I am about getting Striker. From the name, Top Nicol, it means it contains Nicosulfuron as the active ingredient just like Striker. It's only Striker we get in my place. Maybe, I'll just increase the concentration of the Striker when I get it.
Did you mix it with Atrazine when you used it? Because for me, Atrazine didn't do anything even though I sprayed it 2-3 days after planting. Probably there is something I am not doing right. Thank you.

Cc: famagro, stagger, alakara.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by sagacious2016: 9:25am On Jun 19, 2017
peterbello:

OK. Thanks for the prompt feedback as I am about getting Striker. From the name, Top Nicol, it means it contains Nicosulfuron as the active ingredient just like Striker. It's only Striker we get in my place. Maybe, I'll just increase the concentration of the Striker when I get it.
Did you mix it with Atrazine when you used it? Because for me, Atrazine didn't do anything even though I sprayed it 2-3 days after planting. Probably there is something I am not doing right. Thank you.

Cc: famagro, stagger, alakara.

Nope. Didn't mix with athrazine. I think what athrazine does for the most part is to stop growth of weed and prevent quick germination of weed on the farm. Although it's also a selective herbicide, when mixed with paraeforce and sprayed immediately after planting before germination, its helps to slow down growth of weed while the paraeforce will burn the weed. Try asking around for that Top Nicol if you can get it, it's far better than striker for me although the action is quite slow but the long term effect is fantastic.

1 Like

Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by alakuko: 3:49pm On Jun 19, 2017
Can you snap the bottle for top nicol or show us the manufacturer address. This will help us source for it. I can get it online
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by gabe: 10:01pm On Jun 19, 2017
U wasted the first herbicide by spraying immediately. U shd have waited a month for the weeds to grow so the herbicides can act on them. Most herbicides act on the vascular system of weeds to inhibit photosynthesis and other processes that nourish the plant. Applying 1 month after planting allows about another month to totally kill all weeds, giving ur maize like 1 month uninterupted growth, after which it would have outgrown the competition from weeds.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by menwongo(m): 3:20am On Jun 20, 2017
gabe:
U wasted the first herbicide by spraying immediately. U shd have waited a month for the weeds to grow so the herbicides can act on them. Most herbicides act on the vascular system of weeds to inhibit photosynthesis and other processes that nourish the plant. Applying 1 month after planting allows about another month to totally kill all weeds, giving ur maize like 1 month uninterupted growth, after which it would have outgrown the competition from weeds.
Pre emergence herbicide attacks weed's seed.
Allowing your maize one month before weeding will make you kill both maize and weed when you eventually weed after a month
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by stagger: 8:18pm On Jun 27, 2017
gabe:

Paraquat is non-selective. It will kill the maize as well if sprayed on the maize once germinated.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by soil9: 9:07pm On Jun 27, 2017
sagacious2016:
I just planted about 30 acres of maize only and sprayed with chemical immediately

But there is a little problem. The maize is about three weeks old but it has almost been taken over by weed. This is despite spraying with athrazine and ParaeForce herbicides immediately after planting.
Now I don't know which herbicide to use that will not affect my maize but will kill the weeds both broadleaf and grasses.
next time you want to control weed in maize farm, use a broad spectrum herbicide like xtraforce or 3maizeforce for pre-emergence weed control. ensure you apply to moist soil for good result. guardforce or stunner can be used for post emergence control. ensure the weeds are young and actively growing. 3maizeforce gives you season long control and you may not need a post emergence control subsequently in the season. I am a technical sales representative with jubaili agrotec, manufacturers of products such as paraeforce, Atraforce, ddforce, e.t.c. you can reach via email at technical.abuja@jubailiagrotec.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by gabe: 10:00pm On Jun 27, 2017
stagger:

Paraquat is non-selective. It will kill the maize as well if sprayed on the maize once germinated.
using a knapsack sprayer, u can avoid the maize. I'll agree with you if its aerial spraying
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by OluchiDelly: 4:39pm On Jun 28, 2017
soil9:
next time you want to control weed in maize farm, use a broad spectrum herbicide like xtraforce or 3maizeforce for pre-emergence weed control. ensure you apply to moist soil for good result. guardforce or stunner can be used for post emergence control. ensure the weeds are young and actively growing. 3maizeforce gives you season long control and you may not need a post emergence control subsequently in the season. I am a technical sales representative with jubaili agrotec, manufacturers of products such as paraeforce, Atraforce, ddforce, e.t.c. you can reach via email at technical.abuja@jubailiagrotec.com

Your location/state sire?
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by OluchiDelly: 4:52pm On Jun 28, 2017
sagacious2016:

Actually, it didn't really work. Got another chemical called Top Nicol and it worked like magic. Though it's quite slow as it took about three weeks for the weeds to die but it worked all the same.
So painful I didn't go for this choice earlier on.
What is the mixing ratio to that of water in d knapsack sprayer?
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by soil9: 8:10pm On Jun 28, 2017
OluchiDelly:

Your location/state sire?
I am the technical sales rep in Abuja branch. our two other branches are in lbadan and Kano. however, we have depots spread across each state of the federation. u can reach via email technical.abuja@jubailiagrotec.com
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by sagacious2016: 6:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
OluchiDelly:

What is the mixing ratio to that of water in d knapsack sprayer?

Actually, there are 10 small sachets in the small container (Top Nicol) Bought the. container for #2000. So one sachet for a load.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by sagacious2016: 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2017
soil9:
I am the technical sales rep in Abuja branch. our two other branches are in lbadan and Kano. however, we have depots spread across each state of the federation. u can reach via email technical.abuja@jubailiagrotec.com

Noted
Thanks sir.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by OluchiDelly: 9:28am On Jun 30, 2017
sagacious2016:

Actually, there are 10 small sachets in the small container (Top Nicol) Bought the. container for #2000. So one sachet for a load.

OK thanks. I read in one of ur threads that the farm is 30 acres, what method did you finally employ in clearing the trees and bushes b4 planting?
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by OluchiDelly: 5:44pm On Jul 27, 2017
sagacious2016:

Can u pls tell the vendor/outlet where u got the top Nicol?
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by saliubello(m): 6:35pm On Jul 27, 2017
sagacious2016:

Some of the factors responsible for this type of experiences where chemical-herbicides do not work or are not effective are the following but not limited to the itemized:
1. Improper Calibration of the Sprayer
2. Dry Soil { been a while since it last rained}
3. Not following manufacturer's prescribed dosage
4. Selection of wrong herbicide in lieu of the type of weeds on your field
5. Spraying in a hurry.

2 Likes

Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by ogb5(m): 7:47am On Mar 15, 2018
soil9:

What is the active ingredients in these herbicides
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by Timmie2020: 9:29pm On May 24, 2018
pls where can I get that Top Nicol in Oyo state, am seriously in need of it, any helpful idea pls!
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by DEBJOCH1(m): 10:54pm On May 24, 2018
Go and call aboki to do the needful, why are they there, pay them well, they will clear the unwanted grass away.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by Gloriouspa(m): 10:13pm On May 29, 2018
Timmie2020:
pls where can I get that Top Nicol in Oyo state, am seriously in need of it, any helpful idea pls!

Go to Ogunpa Market, Ibadan.
Re: Which Herbicide Can I Use? by Ijele140: 10:17am On Jun 08, 2018
Please where can I get Top Nicol in Abuja?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Govt Approves N10.7bn For Establishment Of 10 New Rice Mills / Quail Farming In Nigeria / LASG To Hold Ileya Edition Of Eko Farmers’ Market On July 26

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.