Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate (54871 Views)

Buhari Forms Exco-Legislative Party Forum, Names Osinbajo As Chair / NNPC: 5 Damaging Things Kachikwu Revealed In His Letter To Buhari / Ibe Kachikwu Exposes Maikanti Baru Through His Letter To Buhari (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by PMBNG(m): 2:16pm On May 09, 2017
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari’s letter of vacation addressed to National Assembly failed to address the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, as Acting President while he is on vacation.

This led to an uproar in the Senate on Tuesday when the letter was read.

President Buhari proceeded on an indefinite vacation on Sunday.

The letter by Buhari to the Senate only informed the National Assembly of his departure for medical trip, adding simply that Osinbajo will coordinate the activities of government.

Disturbed by the content of the letter, Senator Mao Ohabunwa, who raised a Point of Order, said there is no provision in the constitution for a Coordinating Vice President.

Ohabunwa said the only provision in the constitution is Acting President.

He submitted that the content of the letter is ambiguous and not explicit enough.

However, the Senate Leader, Ahmad Lawan, in his reaction, said Buhari has done what the constitution stipulated and therefore any word used in the letter is irrelevant.

Lawan said: “Mr. President, let me say that the Point of Order raised by my colleague and the explanation that subsequently follows shouldn’t have been and my reasons are simple.

“I still rely on the first paragraph of that letter which Mr. President wrote to this Senate and read by the President of the Senate and I will read section (145), which reads: Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration, that he is proceeding on vacation.

“Any other word in this letter or indeed anywhere else is irrelevant.

“I therefore feel that Mr. President has done what the constitution requires him to do and I urge this Senate not to go ahead to discuss this because its not an issue.

“We have the budget and so many other serious issues for us to discuss and Nigerians are waiting.”

The Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, said in his ruling: “I think it is a very clear issue and what we should be guided by is the constitution and I think that it is clear, the letter has referred to the constitution and there’s no ambiguity in the constitution.

“So, I don’t think there’s any issue there.

“Let me first rule you out of order Senator Mao.”

Buhari had in letter forwarded to the Senate said: “In compliance with section 145 (1) of the 1999 constitution as amended. I wish to inform the distinguished Senate that I will be away for a scheduled medical followup with my doctors in London. The length of my stay will be determined by the doctor’s advice.

“While I am away, the Vice President will coordinate the activities of the government. Please accept the distinguished Senate President the assurances of my highest consideration.”

Source: http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/05/senator-kicks-as-buhari-fails-to-designate-osinbajo-acting-president-in-letter-to-senate/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by sarrki(m): 2:22pm On May 09, 2017
That is not fair enough to our democracy

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by PMBNG(m): 2:24pm On May 09, 2017
tongue
Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by hucienda: 2:26pm On May 09, 2017
So Vice President Osinbajo is now Coordinator - not Acting President.

Ok. Memo taken.

173 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by PMBNG(m): 2:27pm On May 09, 2017
So Osinbajo is now coordinating president?

Well noted, Lalasticlala your senior bros is now coordinating president Osinbajo.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by TippyTop(m): 2:30pm On May 09, 2017
Anyone who thinks a very sick Buhari would write to NASS, handing total power to a southerner is a political novice. I mean not when the north is unsure about the outcome of this latest trip.

Osinbanjo is Co-ordinator and Abba Kyari Presido.
Anyway what's the difference between now and June 2015 when Abba Kyari became our President?

All hail President Abba Kyari, otherwise known as Buhari's cousin.

127 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by Hawx(m): 2:33pm On May 09, 2017
Ill feelings everywhere!

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:36pm On May 09, 2017
sarrki:

You are just doing practise for proper wailing because your masters are cooking something I cannot tell for you

Happy Buhari to You

159 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by sarrki(m): 2:38pm On May 09, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
You are just doing practise for proper wailing for what is about to come.

Happy Buhari to You

The high chief of the wailing wailers

There won't be need for wailing

God is in charge of the affairs of our country

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by PMBNG(m): 2:39pm On May 09, 2017
sarrki:

So God was not in charge when Buhari was in the country?

All I know is Osinbajo remains coordinating president till Buhari rewrite the Senate on this.

110 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:40pm On May 09, 2017
sarrki:

You are right brother that's why our VP was made a Coordinator instead of Acting President sad angry

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by sarrki(m): 2:45pm On May 09, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
You are right brother that's why our VP was made a Coordinator instead of Acting President sad angry

Our Great God will show forth

1 Like

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by Lusola15: 2:46pm On May 09, 2017
shocked COORDINATOR shocked
In what part of the constitution is that one

Very dangerous for our democracy, I wish the president a speedy recovery and I wish the COORDINATOR (if there is anything like that) best of luck

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:49pm On May 09, 2017
sarrki:

Our Great God will show forth
Stop making mockery of yourself abeg angry angry

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by Nature8(m): 2:50pm On May 09, 2017
Which one be coordinating president abeg

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by Repairnigeria(m): 2:51pm On May 09, 2017
nawa

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by newbornmacho(m): 2:53pm On May 09, 2017
Useless northern cabal! Thunder fire all of them.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by plaetton: 3:00pm On May 09, 2017
sarrki:

Then it's time we begin to hold this god accountable for the widespread misery in the land.
Don't you think so?

Or , is it that when men fail in their basic tasks, they relegate responsibility to god , knowing that no one dare question god ?

Yesterday, the finance minister passed the buck to god, an obvious indication that she is clueless about what to do about the economy.

Today, mr sarrki of BMC, one of the government's e-warriors, is telling us that god is in charge of this confusion and mayhem reverberating from Aso Rock to the main streets of Nigeria.
Well done god. undecided

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by fatymore(f): 3:02pm On May 09, 2017
Coordinating... Lols... Still the same as VP.. Buhari would still act in proxy

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by ROCE: 3:03pm On May 09, 2017
Section 148 states that

(1) The President may, in his discretion, assign to the Vice-President or any Minister of the Government of the Federation responsibility for any business of the Government of the Federation, including the administration of any department of government.
(2) The President shall hold regular meetings with the Vice-President and all the Ministers of the Government of the Federation for the purposes of -
(a) determining the general direction of domestic and foreign policies of the Government of the Federation;
(b) co-ordinating the activities of the President, the Vice-President and the Ministers of the Government of the Federation in the discharge of their executive responsibilities; and

(c) advising the President generally in discharge of his executive functions other than those functions with respect to which he is required by this Constitution to seek the advice or act on the recommendation of any other person or body
undecided

Saraki know wetin him dey do when he do this:
“I think it is a very clear issue and what we should be guided by is the constitution and I think that it is clear, the letter has referred to the constitution and there’s no ambiguity in the constitution."

All the thing wey dem don talk and do for this picture before PMB travel comot on Sunday pass handover

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by VirginFinder: 3:07pm On May 09, 2017
sarrki:

He was however ruled out of order by Mr. Saraki, after the Senate Leader, Ahmed Lawan, defended Mr. Buhari, citing Section 145 of the 1999 Constitution.

That section says, “Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.”

The constitution is clear enough as Ahmed Lawan pointed out and Mao Ohuabunwa was ruled out of order.

Dont fall for the antics of extremely foolish, mischievous, pained and envious loooonatics from the yEast aka yEasterners!

Having found themselves nowhere in the polity, they resolve to gladden their hearts any means possible - right or wrong, sensible or insensible.

What a shame!!

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by uwa1(m): 3:07pm On May 09, 2017
If dem(PMB and the cabal) like, let the use any kind of grammar (coordinator or supervisor or )..... VP will still act in his absent and also succeed him as president if anytin happens to him..... Na so constitution talk. Wailers nor bi me talk am.... E-Rats wailers if una like make una come talk...

13 Likes

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by ZKOSOSO(m): 3:17pm On May 09, 2017
Yawaaaaaa!! I knew it
Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by chinoxstock: 3:29pm On May 09, 2017
Why didn't he simply write "acting president"...

These people know what they are doing...

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 09, 2017
it was supposed to be a righteous and corruption free president. Then it turned out to be a Nepa bill having president. It got worse, the Nepa Bill president revealed himself to be a partisan president and a travelling one. Now the travelling presido is a sick president and the people of nigeria are left with a coordinating president.

This is heart shattering.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by KidsNEXTdoor: 3:47pm On May 09, 2017
They will frustrate osibanjo but Afonjaz(Yoruba Muslim ) as usual will support them to oppress him

Kiss the truth

29 Likes

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by dionma: 3:53pm On May 09, 2017
What else does the Acting President does other than coordinate the affairs of the nation.

MBuhari referred to section 145 of the constitution which is the section that empowers the Vice President to be Acting President. This to me settles the issue.

This is just much ado about nothing.

26 Likes

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by Moving4: 3:58pm On May 09, 2017
There is really no big deal in DAT anyway, after all he (VP) will still be in charge whether in coordinating form or in Acting form

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by ShitHead(m): 3:58pm On May 09, 2017
When Saraki called Osibanjo a mere commissioner, your wanted to stone him to death. Now you know better.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate by optionB: 3:58pm On May 09, 2017
Nothing pesin no go see in this useless Govt., Osibanjo all the way weda they like it or not

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Leaked Audio: It Is Time To Declare Peter Obi A Terrorist - FFK / The Made In Aba Boots Our Nigerian Army Will Be Rocking Soon / Sympathisers At Abiola Ajimobi's Residence In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.