Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,232 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

What You Need To Know About Vitiligo - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What You Need To Know About Vitiligo (23452 Views)

Cute Ugandan Boy With Blue Eyes And Vitiligo (Photos) / Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) / Bride-to-be Develops Vitiligo (skin Disorder) Months Before Her Wedding (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by Mekanus(m): 9:48pm On May 11, 2017
I started noticing some white patches on my face at the age of 15, I didn't take it serious then until it spread to almost all parts of my face, that was when I started researching and found out that I actually have vitiligo. I met a lot of doctors; (some who do not even know what vitiligo is ), I took so many drugs (both the ones I took orally and the ones I applied as cream, and a whole lot of herbal medicine) and yet nothing changed. I later learnt about PUVA ( psoralen + ultraviolet A) which involves giving the patient oral psolaren and exposing the affected part of the skin to ultraviolet A. This photochemotherapy I equally learnt has a lot of side effects such as skin cancer and also a very expensive process (so it wasn't a treatment option for me). Corticosteroid creams were equally recommended; but all these I learnt had some side effects. So I had to opt for the natural and organic treatment. I started taking lots of fruits and vegetables and equally lessened the amount of processed food I take since some of the chemicals used in these foods contains free radicals which can cause lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress. I made sure I took at least one apple per day and lots of carrot, cucumber, garden egg and some other vegetables ( these fruits and vegetables have Flavonoids which act as antioxidants that mop up free radicals in our body). The carrot is equally a natural source of psolaren, so I took lots of carrots and exposed my face to mild sunshine for about 15 minutes each day. (Spinach and celery are equally good source of psolaren but they were out of reach then). I continued with my natural treatment for many months but I wasn't seeing any result, damn! I was now disappointed and I gave up, since I was spending much money on buying fruits then as a student. About two years later; during my Nysc, I noticed that some of the vitiligo patches have started disappearing, even my mum was surprised when she saw me. Though the white patches haven't gone entirely, it's better than what it was five years ago. I Believe the organic and natural treatment I did actually worked. And one thing with vitiligo treatment is that it takes at least 6 months before you start seeing any positive results... If not for the measure ii took, maybe the vitiligo may have taken over my face by now.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by ugleenerd: 10:37pm On May 11, 2017
martineverest:
hot oil?..... Go to school abeg
bros if u go skul,u suppose kn wen person dey joke...okoro like u...
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by martineverest(m): 11:38pm On May 11, 2017
ugleenerd:
bros if u go skul,u suppose kn wen person dey joke...okoro like u...
abeg enter toilet.. Odoyor
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by humurphia(m): 10:35pm On May 13, 2017
frenzyduchess:
hydrocortisone cream saved my face, and I was lucky I acted on time,it doesn't even show that it once appeared there smiley
for vitiligo ??
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by Nobody: 6:16am On May 14, 2017
humurphia:
for vitiligo ??
yes
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by Nobody: 6:53am On May 14, 2017
Mekanus:
I started noticing some white patches on my face at the age of 15, I didn't take it serious then until it spread to almost all parts of my face, that was when I started researching and found out that I actually have vitiligo. I met a lot of doctors; (some who do not even know what vitiligo is ), I took so many drugs (both the ones I took orally and the ones I applied as cream, and a whole lot of herbal medicine) and yet nothing changed. I later learnt about PUVA ( psoralen + ultraviolet A) which involves giving the patient oral psolaren and exposing the affected part of the skin to ultraviolet A. This photochemotherapy I equally learnt has a lot of side effects such as skin cancer and also a very expensive process (so it wasn't a treatment option for me). Corticosteroid creams were equally recommended; but all these I learnt had some side effects. So I had to opt for the natural and organic treatment. I started taking lots of fruits and vegetables and equally lessened the amount of processed food I take since some of the chemicals used in these foods contains free radicals which can cause lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress. I made sure I took at least one apple per day and lots of carrot, cucumber, garden egg and some other vegetables ( these fruits and vegetables have Flavonoids which act as antioxidants that mop up free radicals in our body). The carrot is equally a natural source of psolaren, so I took lots of carrots and exposed my face to mild sunshine for about 15 minutes each day. (Spinach and celery are equally good source of psolaren but they were out of reach then). I continued with my natural treatment for many months but I wasn't seeing any result, damn! I was now disappointed and I gave up, since I was spending much money on buying fruits then as a student. About two years later; during my Nysc, I noticed that some of the vitiligo patches have started disappearing, even my mum was surprised when she saw me. Though the white patches haven't gone entirely, it's better than what it was five years ago. I Believe the organic and natural treatment I did actually worked. And one thing with vitiligo treatment is that it takes at least 6 months before you start seeing any positive results... If not for the measure ii took, maybe the vitiligo may have taken over my face by now.
try the cream,give yourself two weeks, i remember i cried when I saw pictures online,i told my mum so this is how my face will look like, but today, you won't even know I once had patches on both side of my under eye area
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by Mekanus(m): 7:02am On May 14, 2017
frenzyduchess:
try the cream,give yourself two weeks, i remember i cried when I saw pictures online,i told my mum so this is how my face will look like, but today, you won't even know I once had patches on both side of my under eye area
What's the exact name of the cream u used and the possible price.
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by Nobody: 7:11am On May 14, 2017
Mekanus:

What's the exact name of the cream u used and the possible price.
hydrocortisone cream,it should be around four to five hundred naira now,its in a tube
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by Mekanus(m): 7:49am On May 14, 2017
frenzyduchess:
hydrocortisone cream,it should be around four to five hundred naira now,its in a tube
Thanks I will check it out.
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by Nobody: 8:47am On May 14, 2017
Mekanus:

Thanks I will check it out.
dont mention
Re: What You Need To Know About Vitiligo by DateMynd44(m): 10:44pm On Jun 06, 2018
frenzyduchess:
where can I buy it pls? I reside in Benin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

9-Year-Old Girl Falls From 3-Storey Building In Rivers, Survives (Photos) / Photos: Governor Fashola Hosts Some Ebola Survivors / The 5 Stages Of Tooth Decay Progression

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.