Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,661 members, 7,820,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

What's so Tech About Techguy.ng? - The Review - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What's so Tech About Techguy.ng? - The Review (540 Views)

Why I Felt At Home At Www.sweethome.com.ng - The Review / Is Yukhub.com The Next Nairaland Or ? - The Review You Probably Shouldn't Read / What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's so Tech About Techguy.ng? - The Review by Copycracker(m): 10:31am On May 11, 2017
Hi, it's me again.

And yes, in my Dj Khaled voice, "It's another one".

I visited techguy.ng with my heart in my hand and two palms together hoping I wouldn't be faced with another site that would make me punch myself in the face.

And let's just say I only wanted to give myself a tiny punch.

Let's begin:

I. Design And Layout

Great, clean design. I definitely give you props on that.

(i)Site Title.

I think the URL probably already told us that it's a Tech site and your logo reinforces that so kudos on that.

(ii) Tagline

Where is your tagline?

Was it kidnapped by Boko?

Please, bring back our tagline. It's all well and good that your Site title and URL reinforce it being about tech, but what kind of tech?

Is it mobile? Is it Android? Is it iPhones or iPads?

You could argue that it's in your header section, etcetera, shmetcetera but we don't know that from a first glance at your site.

The tagline is highly important so the user you want is immediately aware at first glance that your site is for him. Otherwise he could bounce, for realzzz

Get a tagline that tells us exactly what to find on your site.

(iii) Your primary navigation menu

How far na? Have you not been reading my previous reviews?

There's no "Home" bar, "About" or " Contact Us" page. Oga bet why?

Fine. You can argue that most people know that if they click your site logo, they'll be redirected back to your home page, but guy, no be everybody sabi like that... You should still have a home tab for those people that will still try and go retype your URL into your browser to go back to your home page.

Ehen then why no "About Us" page?

You be James Bond? You don't want us to know about you?

And apparently, you also don't want us to contact you.

Get your About Us and Contact us pages set up ASAP.

(iv) No search bar in the header, right side bar or anywhere on your page.

Okay, I'm going to try to explain something to you using this analogy:

When you go to a shop, sometimes you prefer to browse around and see if they have what you're looking for. other times, you just go straight to somebody that works there and ask if they have what you're looking for.

Online it's pretty much like that. Some of you visitors will spend time going round our site trying to find what they're looking for. Other times, they'll need to ask your Search bar if you have what they're looking for.

No Search bar = no way to find out = break in conversation = They bounce and go to the next site.

A high bounce rate = no love from big Daddy Google.

So yeah, you need a search button with a field or a search bar.

(v)Your Right side bar

That section is basically non existent on your site. No search bar, no recent posts, no popular posts, no categories, no subscribe box or social media links

I think you need to put these elements in there. Unless you don't want your visitors to be able to search, look at your recent/ popular posts, know what categories are on your site, subscribe or follow you on social media.

Which would make me wonder- What do you want us to do on your site?

(vi) Your Footer

Would be a great place to put a secondary menu, social media links, maybe categories or practically anything that helps us better use your site.

Right now, there's nothing there.

II. Content

Well, the great thing is that your content is about tech. And I see you write with your unique voice and use words like "lit" which is always a plus in my book cheesy

The not so great things are:

(i) Main content section on your home page: It's not a great idea to cover up the whole screen with one post. It doesn't give us users a chance to see at a glance, all your site has to offer. First we have to scroll past the big pic of a laptop to see what the post is about, then we scroll past the next big pic to see another one and on and on.

Move the picture to the left side and let the titles and text be right beside it. This helps you utilize the space optimally.

(ii) One too many fields in your comment section right below your article

You want to make it easy for people to leave a comment, not harder. Too many fields make them begin to ask the question- "Why does he need this?"

I think "Name", "email" and "Comment" fields are enough. Wetin you wan use their website do?

Remove it.

(iii) I get it. You're writing about tech, but still your headlines have to make it obvious what the benefit of reading the post is.

It's not enough to just throw it up there and expect we will read. In your headline, you have to inspire our curiousity or promise to teach us something in the post.

For example, you could change the headline of that Windows 10S post to "Why Windows 10S is the best OS on the market right now" or "Why you should be running Windows 10S on your computer".

See my point?

Now, other issues:

I. You need to do better keyword research and SEO. I would go into more details, but I feel you should focus on the above issues first, correct them and then you can start focusing on SEO.

II. Put social media links and arrange them vertically in the left sidebar of your posts. It makes it easier for your visitors to just share your posts as they're reading.

III. Where is your subscribe button/ a call to action?

Do you want your visitors to just read and go?

Cos if you don't give them something to stick around for, then I've got old news for you- they won't.

I don't think I need to tell you what that means for your site, or do I?

I have just one major question though- What is the goal of your site? Is it for business or pleasure?

Because if it is for business, you've not really offered anything.. no service or product or anything in particular except your posts. So you might want to do that.

But if it is for pleasure, keep doing what you're doing... even though this is a time of recession and all man gas make money.

Oh yeah, I saw the ad at the top of the site. You placed it nicely, but why not ensure that the products displayed in the ad are all related to your content.

Just a thought.

By the way, if you want me to review your site, please don't put it in the comments section here. Go to https://www.nairaland.com/3765331/post-website-blog-here-get and put it there. It's a pain in the ass having to keep saying it over and over, so please just put it there unless you'd like me to forget I planned to review it. Thank you.

And I'm out.

Happy Hustling.

1 Like

Re: What's so Tech About Techguy.ng? - The Review by Datevilme: 3:07pm On May 11, 2017
Copycracker:
Hi, it's me again.

And yes, in my Dj Khaled voice, "It's another one".

I visited techguy.ng with my heart in my hand and two palms together hoping I wouldn't be faced with another site that would make me punch myself in the face.

And let's just say I only wanted to give myself a tiny punch.

Let's begin:

I. Design And Layout

Great, clean design. I definitely give you props on that.

(i)Site Title.

I think the URL probably already told us that it's a Tech site and your logo reinforces that so kudos on that.

(ii) Tagline

Where is your tagline?

Was it kidnapped by Boko?

Please, bring back our tagline. It's all well and good that your Site title and URL reinforce it being about tech, but what kind of tech?

Is it mobile? Is it Android? Is it iPhones or iPads?

You could argue that it's in your header section, etcetera, shmetcetera but we don't know that from a first glance at your site.

The tagline is highly important so the user you want is immediately aware at first glance that your site is for him. Otherwise he could bounce, for realzzz

Get a tagline that tells us exactly what to find on your site.

(iii) Your primary navigation menu

How far na? Have you not been reading my previous reviews?

There's no "Home" bar, "About" or " Contact Us" page. Oga bet why?

Fine. You can argue that most people know that if they click your site logo, they'll be redirected back to your home page, but guy, no be everybody sabi like that... You should still have a home tab for those people that will still try and go retype your URL into your browser to go back to your home page.

Ehen then why no "About Us" page?

You be James Bond? You don't want us to know about you?

And apparently, you also don't want us to contact you.

Get your About Us and Contact us pages set up ASAP.

(iv) No search bar in the header, right side bar or anywhere on your page.

Okay, I'm going to try to explain something to you using this analogy:

When you go to a shop, sometimes you prefer to browse around and see if they have what you're looking for. other times, you just go straight to somebody that works there and ask if they have what you're looking for.

Online it's pretty much like that. Some of you visitors will spend time going round our site trying to find what they're looking for. Other times, they'll need to ask your Search bar if you have what they're looking for.

No Search bar = no way to find out = break in conversation = They bounce and go to the next site.

A high bounce rate = no love from big Daddy Google.

So yeah, you need a search button with a field or a search bar.

(v)Your Right side bar

That section is basically non existent on your site. No search bar, no recent posts, no popular posts, no categories, no subscribe box or social media links

I think you need to put these elements in there. Unless you don't want your visitors to be able to search, look at your recent/ popular posts, know what categories are on your site, subscribe or follow you on social media.

Which would make me wonder- What do you want us to do on your site?

(vi) Your Footer

Would be a great place to put a secondary menu, social media links, maybe categories or practically anything that helps us better use your site.

Right now, there's nothing there.

II. Content

Well, the great thing is that your content is about tech. And I see you write with your unique voice and use words like "lit" which is always a plus in my book cheesy

The not so great things are:

(i) Main content section on your home page: It's not a great idea to cover up the whole screen with one post. It doesn't give us users a chance to see at a glance, all your site has to offer. First we have to scroll past the big pic of a laptop to see what the post is about, then we scroll past the next big pic to see another one and on and on.

Move the picture to the left side and let the titles and text be right beside it. This helps you utilize the space optimally.

(ii) One too many fields in your comment section right below your article

You want to make it easy for people to leave a comment, not harder. Too many fields make them begin to ask the question- "Why does he need this?"

I think "Name", "email" and "Comment" fields are enough. Wetin you wan use their website do?

Remove it.

(iii) I get it. You're writing about tech, but still your headlines have to make it obvious what the benefit of reading the post is.

It's not enough to just throw it up there and expect we will read. In your headline, you have to inspire our curiousity or promise to teach us something in the post.

For example, you could change the headline of that Windows 10S post to "Why Windows 10S is the best OS on the market right now" or "Why you should be running Windows 10S on your computer".

See my point?

Now, other issues:

I. You need to do better keyword research and SEO. I would go into more details, but I feel you should focus on the above issues first, correct them and then you can start focusing on SEO.

II. Put social media links and arrange them vertically in the left sidebar of your posts. It makes it easier for your visitors to just share your posts as they're reading.

III. Where is your subscribe button/ a call to action?

Do you want your visitors to just read and go?

Cos if you don't give them something to stick around for, then I've got old news for you- they won't.

I don't think I need to tell you what that means for your site, or do I?

I have just one major question though- What is the goal of your site? Is it for business or pleasure?

Because if it is for business, you've not really offered anything.. no service or product or anything in particular except your posts. So you might want to do that.

But if it is for pleasure, keep doing what you're doing... even though this is a time of recession and all man gas make money.

Oh yeah, I saw the ad at the top of the site. You placed it nicely, but why not ensure that the products displayed in the ad are all related to your content.

Just a thought.

By the way, if you want me to review your site, please don't put it in the comments section here. Go to https://www.nairaland.com/3765331/post-website-blog-here-get and put it there. It's a pain in the ass having to keep saying it over and over, so please just put it there unless you'd like me to forget I planned to review it. Thank you.

And I'm out.

Happy Hustling.

Great Job bro, i was just smiling throughout, you really gave me a taste of my own medicine (I sabi criticize websites wella).

Its a fairly new blog, not much content yet, the layout will definitely change, just putting out a number of posts first. I appreciate the detail you put into this review, and for free!! You are a great man sir!

I will definitely effect these changes, thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Fully Approved Google Adsense For Sale... Cheap Rate / Is It Compulsory To Create Ad Units In Adsense? / Newly Approved Nigerian Adsense Account Up For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.