Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,677 members, 7,809,573 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? (772 Views)

Nigeria Has A Population Of 198 Million People – NPC / Will Justice Onnoghen Get Justice From Justice Tanko Headed Supreme Court & NJC? / Agency Headed By Buhari’s In-law Caught In Another Massive Procurement Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Sabergol99(m): 1:33pm On May 11, 2017
This topic is usually one avoided by eminent members in our society and even scholars owing to our religiously conservative cultures and traditions. Children are often seen as a blessing for both Christians and Muslim which increases fertility amongst the groups. Also, with high illiteracy levels in some parts of the Country, Uncontrolled births are sure to be the order of the day.
However, I feel we must be truthful to ourselves before it becomes too late. Nigeria is not necessarily a big country in terms of land mass, (13th biggest in Africa, 31st largest in the World) But we are one of the most populous (largest in Africa, 7th in world). What this means is that with increasing population, density becomes higher along with competition (as is presently happening today)
Land becomes more scarce, Per capita income decreases, Unemployment increases - and with a teeming youth population like ours could mean disaster. Our health care system becomes overstretched, local demand increases, causing an overexploitation of natural resources, Forests depleted Are just some of the vices associated with Uncontrolled population growth.
Before you give me the China and USA example of populations similar to ours, you might want to look at the facts critically. China, the world's most populous Country with about 1.3billion people is TEN times the size of Nigeria In terms of land mass. Even at that, the communist government had to place severe restrictions on population growth in order to forestall a population crisis. Today China is better for it as the Human developmental index remains the fastest growing in the world. The USA is also TEN times the size of Nigeria, but with a population of just 320million people. It is predicted that Nigeria would overtake the U.S in population by 2050.
We must learn from the Bangladesh and India population crisis examples before we repeat them.
Then again, maybe it's just me being paranoid. Your thoughts please.. .
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 11, 2017
Your concerns are in order but in my opinion I am not worried at the current population size, I am worried at the rate in which we are growing our economy and developing our infrastructures. Just like you pointed out if the rates are mismatched our already over-stretched infrastructure will collapse and economy may be thrown into a huge recession such that the current happening in Venezuela will be a child's play.

About 50% of our population are below the age of 15, this is an indication of a viable human resources that if correctly harnessed will provide the catalyst for the rapid development of the nation. Another implication of this is that if we do provide an enabling environment, develop our infrastructure by providing quality and functional education 10 years from now we will have an army of well educated and well trained young people that will place the country in a competitive footing with the likes Malaysian, India etc . On the other hands if we fail today as a nation to properly educate, train and provide the enabling environment for job creation and development of our infrastructure what we will have at hand 10 years from now is a teeming army of underemployed and unemployed youths and this spells doom for everyone involve.

Just my opinion for now.

Sorry to tell you that your thread may die a natural death in this backyard without seeing front page or having anyone make a comment since it lacks every element of front page materials which are : snakes, Davido baby mama's, Tonto Dike and news like slay queen caught with pants down etc

US population is about 324 million cross check and correct your post. bye bye!!

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by lumydee44: 1:39pm On May 11, 2017
Yes we are and unemployment is on a rise. Remember the young ones are growing up with nothing for them to do. I sincerely hope we don't resort to cannibalism
Mynd44 OAM4 Seun J I feel this post needs a wider audience and inputs.
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by ZombiePUNISHER: 1:51pm On May 11, 2017
We are heading for the rocks
Our population is out of control
It's not in tandem with our economic growth
The end result is total chaos

We claim to be less than 200m
But is a fabricated lie
We are more than America ... Worse is that we ve got a small landmass when compared
There will be competition for space
Result is total chaos

We need to conduct a census ASAP
Too many undocumented illegal aliens roam the streets... Be it from Togo..Benin .. Chad.. Niger ... Etc it's just too much

We need to put our population in check
One man... One wife... Two kids
Exceed that and pay money to the state
It worked in China .. It will work here
Now is the time

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Gerrard59(m): 1:53pm On May 11, 2017
I said same last year.

Here:

https://www.nairaland.com/3450586/poor-un-intelligent-people-should-not

My prognosticating skills never fails. cool

Talking about density. We can go the way of the Singaporeans, Japanese and Hong Kongers. I enjoy residing in tall buildings.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by MXrep: 2:00pm On May 11, 2017
The north does not care, they need political tools to continue ruling despite their low human capital

5 Likes

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 11, 2017
ZombiePUNISHER:
We are heading for the rocks
Our population is out of control
It's not in tandem with our economic growth
The end result is total chaos

We claim to be less than 200m
But is a fabricated lie
We are more than America ... Worse is that we ve got a small landmass when compared
There will be competition for space
Result is total chaos

We need to conduct a census ASAP
Too many undocumented illegal aliens roam the streets... Be it from Togo..Benin .. Chad.. Niger ... Etc it's just too much

We need to put our population in check
One man... One wife... Two kids
Exceed that and pay money to the state
It worked in China .. It will work here

Now is the time

I doubt if it will work here due to our political,religion and cultural history.
To start with China has a "pseudo-dictator" and the government has a very tight hold on the country which makes implementation of such policy easy. In Nigeria you can't get such law to be passed in the first place, so many religious bodies will cry foul and people will flood the street. No sitting administration want to take that risk as it opens a wide window for their opponent to ride on to power.

Secondly we do not have a database and well structured system to keep track of people. Having a reliable record helps a lot in enforcement of such law. Imagine a country like Nigeria where majority of the people are rural dwellers out of the reach of government and where anyone in the country can obtain any document and become anyone they chose to be within hours as long as they have the right cash. My bro we still need to get somethings right before embarking on that.
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Arda1000(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2017
MXrep:
The north does not care, they need political tools to continue ruling despite their low human capital
That's the reason we as a people need to conduct a referendum so that some people choose their own fate

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 11, 2017
Gerrard59:
I said same last year.

Here:

https://www.nairaland.com/3450586/poor-un-intelligent-people-should-not

My prognosticating skills never fails. cool

Talking about density. We can go the way of the Singaporeans, Japanese and Hong Kongers. I enjoy residing in tall buildings.

Density may not result to tall residential buildings - tall residential building means that there are many people with jobs and the means to pay for it.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 11, 2017
MXrep:

I blame the South for the excesses of the North when it comes to issues plaguing our nation. The South have the means to demand for a fair but equatable way of achieving a common goal but for reasons best known to the southern politicians they have also allowed the north to get away with so many things. All in the name of peace, yet we have no peace!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by donmalcolm21(m): 3:32pm On May 11, 2017
The North is the problem and nothing else

2 Likes

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by blackfase(m): 3:38pm On May 11, 2017
We aren't headed, its already here with us. No thanks to the gambaris. They are everything wrong with the zoo.
May God deliver us...
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Curlieweed: 3:46pm On May 11, 2017
donmalcolm21:
The North is the problem and nothing else

The "North" is not the problem. The problem is poverty. It's a worldwide problem. There is a high correlation between poverty ( with the attendant lower literacy and gender inequality) and high birth rate. As countries move up the the development ladder, population growth falls and stabilizes.
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Kakamorufu(m): 5:56pm On May 11, 2017
I agree with you in all aspects. population has to be checked, a census is needed asap.

and make dem advice the northern brothers and other tribes to stop giving birth to plenty children if you have no means to take care of them.

when the population crises starts ehn. I fear ooo

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by dmz1: 6:10am On May 12, 2017
one solution is to beak up the country
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by dmz1: 6:11am On May 12, 2017
one solution is to beak up the country so those that refuse to control their population growth rate would be faced with the problem associated with large population alone
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by coolzeal(m): 6:22am On May 12, 2017
Nigeria, too much fucking and government cannot implement futuristic innovations to ease off chaos and scarcity of food we might face in the future. If we don't hold our leaders accountable now, we might just be another ticking bomb.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Sabergol99(m): 10:04am On Jan 05, 2018
A reported 20100 people were born on January 1st, 2018. That's 7.4 million people in a year! I'll advice anyone who can leave this Country to do so. Things would not get better this way.
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 05, 2018
Civil war. Ethnic war/cleansing. Religious war. Period.
Every ethnic group will attempt to become a country after the war.
Re: I Need Your Thoughts, Are We Headed Towards A Population Crisis? by Xevioso: 11:09am On Jan 05, 2018
Sabergol99:
This topic is usually one avoided by eminent members in our society and even scholars owing to our religiously conservative cultures and traditions. Children are often seen as a blessing for both Christians and Muslim which increases fertility amongst the groups. Also, with high illiteracy levels in some parts of the Country, Uncontrolled births are sure to be the order of the day.
However, I feel we must be truthful to ourselves before it becomes too late. Nigeria is not necessarily a big country in terms of land mass, (13th biggest in Africa, 31st largest in the World) But we are one of the most populous (largest in Africa, 7th in world). What this means is that with increasing population, density becomes higher along with competition (as is presently happening today)
Land becomes more scarce, Per capita income decreases, Unemployment increases - and with a teeming youth population like ours could mean disaster. Our health care system becomes overstretched, local demand increases, causing an overexploitation of natural resources, Forests depleted Are just some of the vices associated with Uncontrolled population growth.
Before you give me the China and USA example of populations similar to ours, you might want to look at the facts critically. China, the world's most populous Country with about 1.3billion people is TEN times the size of Nigeria In terms of land mass. Even at that, the communist government had to place severe restrictions on population growth in order to forestall a population crisis. Today China is better for it as the Human developmental index remains the fastest growing in the world. The USA is also TEN times the size of Nigeria, but with a population of just 320million people. It is predicted that Nigeria would overtake the U.S in population by 2050.
We must learn from the Bangladesh and India population crisis examples before we repeat them.
Then again, maybe it's just me being paranoid. Your thoughts please.. .

No a population crisis is just a crisis of water, food or energy, which Nigeria is fundamentally already in the throes of.
If energy, water and food are sufficient there is no crisis.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra Sit At Home Owerri Record Highest Percentage Of Compliance / Disintegrating Nigeria Will Bring Untold Hardship To All Created Regions / Inec Registers Apda, 4 New Other Parties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.