Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? (19072 Views)

Can An MBA Holder Go For A Phd In Management? / M.sc. (business) Management Or An MBA / Is An Mba From Lagoos Business School (lbs) Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 2:55pm On Jan 18, 2010
I think an MBA from LBS is well regarded in nigeria dont know about other countries though
But i suppose with good extensive experience your colors will shine through once you are in

@ pak good thing your post didnt show up, sounds like a joke!

The import of this ranking is that :

1. LBS is the second best business School in Africa
2. LBS is only bettered by 4 out of the roughly 100 business schools in the UK
3. LBS is better than every business school in Germany
4. LBS is better than evry biz school in the whole of eastern europe save one
5. LBS is better than every biz sch in the whole of asia aside those with affiliations in other parts of the world
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by Stdomain(f): 3:01pm On Jan 20, 2010
Can anybody in the house tell me which schools run MBA programmes in Abuja. Thanks.
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by tboy1(m): 4:31pm On Jan 20, 2010
simple question:
which will employers in nigeria go for 1st:
Ba(hons) , MBA + 2 yrs work experience overseas
Ba(hons) , 5 yrs work experience overseas + couple of professional certificates
I'm asking this because everyone 1 know is either looking to go for their MBA or already got it(even ppl with very good jobs in nigeria) I have a friend who was working in Intercontinental bank and was paid well, he left his job to come and get his MBA in UK. I think he was with the bank for 3 yrs. So i ask myself,why would anyone leave his good paying job to go and study (get Mba or Msc) only for to return to nigeria and start looking for job againĀ 
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:03pm On Jan 20, 2010
I think the MBA was a global fad, not just limited to Nigeria.

It's a bit more difficult in Nigeria, as there are no clear job requirements for any job per se. At least we know that Ivy League MBAs were in demand in the US financial, primarily as some sort of marketing tool. You know, Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley like to posit to their clients that they have teams of Harvard or Wharton grads managing their money. It may have also been some sort of elitist raising-the-bar sort of thing, making the stakes to join these companies higher.

In Nigeria, it was more of a follow-the-trend sort of thing, given the gross unpreparedness of the average Nigerian graduate for work. I mean, the average Nigerian graduate usually needs to be trained in every work skill imaginable. The foreign MBAs came with a work-ready perception that they would not require any serious re-skilling, and could even be put into supervisory positions. As most employers have found out, that was largely not the case.

When you say 'work experience overseas', what kind of work experience? If we are talking finance, if you were an ACCA or CFA with relevant work experience and a good bachelors degree, I doubt that anybody would turn their nose down at you. The problem usually is that people compete more with certificates rather than experience. When it's like that, it becomes a case of 'may the best-looking resume win'.
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by tboy1(m): 5:27pm On Jan 20, 2010
^^ Nice post AjanleKoko cool
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 21, 2010
Really, at the end of the day it's what's in you that matters.
Most of us in Nigeria just join the bandwagon.

We keep acquiring certificates at all cost even if it means buying them.
I just wish we could de-emphasize paper qualifications

The most successful people in the world ain't the ones with the most qualifications.
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by tboy1(m): 10:58am On Jan 21, 2010
BlueDiva:

Really, at the end of the day it's what's in you that matters.
Most of us in Nigeria just join the bandwagon.

We keep acquiring certificates at all cost even if it means buying them.
I just wish we could de-emphasize paper qualifications

The most successful people in the world ain't the ones with the most qualifications.
Not in Nigeria these days . . . its best to get all the professional certificates you can

1 Like

Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 7:43pm On Mar 17, 2011
^^
Says who? Nobody even requires half of those things in Nigeria.
Except someone is just sorry for you and decides to help you with a job, they don't really mean much here.
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by biyiwilly(m): 2:20pm On Mar 21, 2011
Register for your foreign exam @ b2consulting

Affordable Price and get instant registration

GMAT $250 for N40,000.00
GRE $190 for N32,000.00
TOEFL $ 175 for N29,000.00 with a free practice CD
For more info visit: www.b2consultingng.com
Tel: 08023343047, 08063114931
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by goldenegg12: 3:34pm On Feb 23, 2012
Challenge your thinking with an MBA or EMBA from Europe's top Business School INSEAD. They've kicked off their Africa Road Tour and will be in Johannesburg on the 28th of February and in Lagos on March 1 at the Wheatbaker Hotel from 6pm.

See here for more details and to register http://mba.insead.edu/form/attend_event.cfm?event_id=AHKA-7Y769X
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by LeonaSharon(f): 9:06am On Dec 06, 2012
MBA is a course for professionals and bidding entrepreneurs.

And it is the most recognized degree by any Corporate house for a job.

The only thing where you can make a difference is by doing it from a recognized Institute.
shocked
Now, with advancements in technology you can pursue MBA from Bradford and other Universities through internet only. grin

For details look into http://www.rdinigeria.com/browse-courses/#postgraduate.
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by LeonaSharon(f): 8:02am On Dec 22, 2012
Follow https://twitter.com/study_online for more updates.

Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by mrfamous(m): 2:32pm On Jul 17, 2018
So the University of Ibadan now collaborates with Center for Enterprise Management and Research (at CEMAR Campus, Anthony, Lagos.) for its Executive MBA into the following specializations; Business Management, Entrepreneurship Management, Finance, Marketing, Human Resources Management and Public Sector Management.

Admission ongoing.

Tuition is 1,800,000 payable in 4 installments over four semesters.

Contacts; 08034465502, 08027198913, 08035955464

Admission closing soon.
Re: Is An MBA Prestigious In Nigeria? by udumajosephchim: 9:43pm On May 17, 2022
How can someone get the connection of going to outside for the purpose MBA PROGRAM
Please help a brother.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Boss Nags Each Time Its Time To Pay Salary. Please Advise Me. / What Did You Do With Your First Ever Salary? / How Much Is A Computer Science (c.s) Master Degree Holder Supposed To Earn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.