Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,281 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist (26509 Views)

4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them / 5 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job / Mortuary Attendant Reveals D Most Scarying Encounter When Dealing Wit Deadbodies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by oadewale(m): 7:14pm On May 14, 2017
Perfectionists dont procastinate...

2 Likes

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by 4C2215131: 7:14pm On May 14, 2017
JARUSHUB:

Nobody (or nothing) is perfect. This has become an over-flogged mantra. Notwithstanding, there are still some people who feel that everything they do must be 100%. A mistake that they make is that they think being a perfectionist is a good thing. This is not really so. And if this is not the case, they become sad, depressed, and forlorn. Consequently, these very talented people are always having problems not only with themselves but with people around them. Hence, it would be nice to know how to identify a perfectionist. These tips shared by Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency will be of great help.

They are always trying to please everyone

Certainly, we cannot please everybody. But a perfectionist does not understand this. They will try to please others at their own discomfort and detriment. This is why others can easily take advantage of them.

They attain their goals by any means

Attaining their goals is what they care about. They do not even mind if they break the rules or go overboard to reach their goals. For them it is more about the end justifies the means and not the other way round. And they are bad losers.

They can never be satisfied

Even if you give your best, you can never satisfy someone who wants things perfectly done. They question everything even the things that are irrelevant. They are very exhaustive and nothing escapes them. Hence, never try to cut corners, a perfectionist will notice it and point it out.

They don’t accommodate mistakes

We are bound to make mistakes. But for a perfectionist, it is a sign of failure. As a result, they become gloomy and downcast. If you work with them, they use their standard to measure you and they want you to meet that standard. If you do not, to them you are a disappointment. For example, if you forgot to accept the booking of the hotel from Jumia Travel, they will take it personally. You will think they have you in mind before.

They have all or nothing thinking

For them, it is either they get everything or nothing. They are not ready to compromise on their very high moral standards. This is why perfectionists are not good negotiators. The only way you can make them happy is to give them everything they want.

They over stress themselves over a simple task

There is always a paper basket beside them. In the basket, you will find several rumpled papers. These papers are sheets they use in writing just one simple report. However, because of one simple mistake, they discard it and start all over again.

They are legendary procrastinators

Since they bid to make everyone happy, they accept responsibilities they know they cannot perform. But because they want to please that person, they accept the duty and they procrastinate until they do not it. In other situations, they postpone a task because they are not ready to go through the perfection bouts they are addicted to.

They find it difficult to celebrate success

You should celebrate success when you achieve it. However, a perfectionist will never because they will be focused on what they could have done better. So, they do not see any reason to be joyous. Do never expect a perfectionist to celebrate success. However, this does not mean they are not happy with what they have achieved.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/eight-signs-dealing-perfectionist/

To cut a long story short, me thinks they are suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Student125(m): 7:15pm On May 14, 2017
Perfectionist or not, what I believe is, anything worth doing is what doing well.
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by majorbravo: 7:22pm On May 14, 2017
HumanistMike:

Perfectionist don't procrastinate! They are just careful about giving a delivery date.

A perfectionist will make a statement like "it will be ready when it will be ready". Perfectionists don't procrastinate. They are smart enough to incorporate time needed to perfect their deliverables.

You basically just confirmed the same point with the bolded statement. Procrastination is not essentially negative. It simply means leaving a task that can be done now till a later time, either due (in part or whole) to a number of issues with their ability to accomplish the task itself that they chose to delay. So it depends on the context. It doesn't necessarily mean inability to meet deadlines. To use your example, It basically means they would tell you when they can get the job done which might appear longer than normal people would probably get the same job done, even if it turns out to be better quality. This is because they want to give it quality time.

If the perfectionist is the one setting the deadlines, it really isn't a subject for a procrastination tag. If I gave a perfectionist a job to do for me and asked him to finish by 4pm, he would likely try to negotiate another time he thinks is best so he could give it full attention, that itself is the procrastination the op writes about. A non-perfectionist would rather try to do what he can within the time he was given, even if the quality of the result suffers as a consequence of insufficient time and/or resources. A perfectionist on the other hand, wouldn't try his luck unless he was absolutely sure of the time and availability of resources, and that might lead to procrastination cos he won't start the job till all factors are on deck and ready for deployment to the task.

In layman terms, A perfectionist working at a bakery wouldn't slice a cake if the knife available wasn't sharp enough for a precision cut, as this would make the cake come off with unsightly crumbs, they'll put off the job till they can get a sharp knife. A non-perfectionist on the other hand would slice with whatever is available.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by hardeycute(m): 7:26pm On May 14, 2017
I am LOST :-
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Sanchez01: 7:27pm On May 14, 2017
Number one is wrong. Perfectionists don't do things to please people. As a matter of fact, the opposite is the case. They get on people's toes just to see that things are done the way they want it.

Also, that they procrastinate is untrue. They are the most difficult people to deal with when giving a timeline for the execution of a project.

Honestly, this brand of opinion is tainted and far from the truth.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Cannonleo(m): 7:28pm On May 14, 2017
I do see some traits I exhibit here but am not a perfectionist.
I accept the mistakes of others and love to get jobs done quickly.
I do have a problem of accepting responsibility all the time and squeeze a lot into a short time frame hence I have to shift projects a lot.

I don't brood over failures and seek the opinion of my team members a lot
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by bullabong(m): 7:33pm On May 14, 2017
I always suspected I was a perfectionist,now I am 100% sure. Damn! No wonder people never get it right.
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Stephanie22: 7:47pm On May 14, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
This one is like a perfectionist with sadistic tendencies.
exactly, my dad is a perfectionist and fits into just 50% of the op's posts.
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Perfectionist11: 7:47pm On May 14, 2017
I agree with all except no 1..perfectionists never ever try to please everyone,rather they are willing to step on anyone toes to achieve success/their aim..or prove a point.

A perfect case study is Pep Guardiola: he discarded samuel Eto'o despite contributing immensely to Barcelona's success the previous season.1hen asked for the reason: My guy said he just has the "feeling" to send him away..

Same with Nasri,Ibrahimovic..joe hart et al...watch out for massive shake up at city next season..

Guardiola has gone trophyless for the 1st time ever and no one not even Aguero is safe..

Modified: Perfectionists don't procrastinate..NEVER..they overdo stuffs and over prepare for simple tasks and I think you misunderstood that.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by CaptainKool15(m): 7:49pm On May 14, 2017
Damn!!
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by irrefragable: 7:50pm On May 14, 2017
Imstrong:
And who are those that have this perfectionist tendencies.....

Melancholies!!
melancholics and cholerics

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by tete7000(m): 7:57pm On May 14, 2017
In a world that celebrates mediocrity, it pays to be a perfectionist. A perfectionist gives a 100% attention to task at hand. Little details often overlooked by others matter to him. He rarely procrastinate, can read in between the line, delegates when necessary while still paying close attention. He believes it is hard for others to get his work done like he would. His motto is 'When it is possible, do it yourself; you spend less energy and emotion doing it yourself than supervising and correcting others'. If he finds a reliable hand,that becomes his trusted ally.
By the way scripture says be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect, he is probably just trying to follow this injunction. In God's dictionary, there is no room for laxity.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by pweetygiftofGod(f): 8:01pm On May 14, 2017
I find it difficult to settle for less, atymz I get so angry with my self cos I don't understand what a friend or lecturer is explaning, that cynical embarassed I must have really cried my heart out while much younger grin grin
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by CzarChris(m): 8:04pm On May 14, 2017
Well, nice points raised here.
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Zedoo(m): 8:09pm On May 14, 2017
I am almost a perfectionist.... Almost....just almost
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by nijabazaar: 8:17pm On May 14, 2017
Steve jobs,
Michael Jackson,
Beyonce

Norman foster ,Max Planck

All perfectionist

And they tend to die early.

Capricons are also perfectionists

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Abdul124(m): 8:20pm On May 14, 2017
In this aspect of perfection;it will be better nt to be perfect since procrastination contribute to it.
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by HumanistMike(m): 8:25pm On May 14, 2017
majorbravo:

You basically just confirmed the same point with the bolded statement. Procrastination is not essentially negative. It simply means leaving a task that can be done now till a later time, either due (in part or whole) to a number of issues with their ability to accomplish the task itself that they chose to delay. So it depends on the context. It doesn't necessarily mean inability to meet deadlines. To use your example, It basically means they would tell you when they can get the job done which might appear longer than normal people would probably get the same job done, even if it turns out to be better quality. This is because they want to give it quality time.

If the perfectionist is the one setting the deadlines, it really isn't a subject for a procrastination tag. If I gave a perfectionist a job to do for me and asked him to finish by 4pm, he would likely try to negotiate another time he thinks is best so he could give it full attention, that itself is the procrastination the op writes about. A non-perfectionist would rather try to do what he can within the time he was given, even if the quality of the result suffers as a consequence of insufficient time and/or resources. A perfectionist on the other hand, wouldn't try his luck unless he was absolutely sure of the time and availability of resources, and that might lead to procrastination cos he won't start the job till all factors are on deck and ready for deployment to the task.

In layman terms, A perfectionist working at a bakery wouldn't slice a cake if the knife available wasn't sharp enough for a precision cut, as this would make the cake come off with unsightly crumbs, they'll put off the job till they can get a sharp knife. A non-perfectionist on the other hand would slice with whatever is available.

You seem to not understand the meaning of procrastination. Basically, the word means extending to completion time beyond what was AGREED!

So if a perfectionist tell you to come by 5pm for a job another person could have been done with by 2pm, it doesn't mean the perfectionist procrastinated. It just indicates the perfectionist incorporated the time required to perfect the job into his schedule (which is plus 3 hours).

So, in clear terms, procrastination is illustrated by "your work will be ready by 5pm".
"Oh sorry, did I say 5pm? I meant 7pm"
"You know what, please come tomorrow by 10am"
And so on and so forth.

That is not what a perfectionist does. Don't get it twisted.

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by muller101(m): 8:26pm On May 14, 2017
Clear description of my ex
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 14, 2017
I have a streak of perfectionism but I don't exhibit some of the traits you listed.

Perfectionist don't try to please everyone. In my workplace, I have had to step on many toes to ensure the job gets done.

Perfectionist don't procrastinate once a deadline for a task has been set. In my freelance career, I have never delivered a job late.
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by bionixs: 9:32pm On May 14, 2017
JARUSHUB:

Nobody (or nothing) is perfect. This has become an over-flogged mantra. Notwithstanding, there are still some people who feel that everything they do must be 100%. A mistake that they make is that they think being a perfectionist is a good thing. This is not really so. And if this is not the case, they become sad, depressed, and forlorn. Consequently, these very talented people are always having problems not only with themselves but with people around them. Hence, it would be nice to know how to identify a perfectionist. These tips shared by Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency will be of great help.

They are always trying to please everyone

Certainly, we cannot please everybody. But a perfectionist does not understand this. They will try to please others at their own discomfort and detriment. This is why others can easily take advantage of them.

They attain their goals by any means

Attaining their goals is what they care about. They do not even mind if they break the rules or go overboard to reach their goals. For them it is more about the end justifies the means and not the other way round. And they are bad losers.

They can never be satisfied

Even if you give your best, you can never satisfy someone who wants things perfectly done. They question everything even the things that are irrelevant. They are very exhaustive and nothing escapes them. Hence, never try to cut corners, a perfectionist will notice it and point it out.

They don’t accommodate mistakes

We are bound to make mistakes. But for a perfectionist, it is a sign of failure. As a result, they become gloomy and downcast. If you work with them, they use their standard to measure you and they want you to meet that standard. If you do not, to them you are a disappointment. For example, if you forgot to accept the booking of the hotel from Jumia Travel, they will take it personally. You will think they have you in mind before.

They have all or nothing thinking

For them, it is either they get everything or nothing. They are not ready to compromise on their very high moral standards. This is why perfectionists are not good negotiators. The only way you can make them happy is to give them everything they want.

They over stress themselves over a simple task

There is always a paper basket beside them. In the basket, you will find several rumpled papers. These papers are sheets they use in writing just one simple report. However, because of one simple mistake, they discard it and start all over again.

They are legendary procrastinators

Since they bid to make everyone happy, they accept responsibilities they know they cannot perform. But because they want to please that person, they accept the duty and they procrastinate until they do not it. In other situations, they postpone a task because they are not ready to go through the perfection bouts they are addicted to.

They find it difficult to celebrate success

You should celebrate success when you achieve it. However, a perfectionist will never because they will be focused on what they could have done better. So, they do not see any reason to be joyous. Do never expect a perfectionist to celebrate success. However, this does not mean they are not happy with what they have achieved.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/eight-signs-dealing-perfectionist/
my brother, that is my problem o. you have just painted my picture. God will help me
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by SuperSuave(m): 9:36pm On May 14, 2017
I hate perfectionists, unfortunately I'm living with one cry
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Noniee: 9:45pm On May 14, 2017
So mee
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Black052(m): 9:51pm On May 14, 2017
PaperLace:
I don't agree with all. This perfectionist seems like an extreme one.
My husband is a perfectionist. He rarely delegates, and he doesn't exhibit some of these traits either.

I also think perfectionists don't procrastinate (unnecessarily), they love to get things done as soon as possible. I might be wrong though.
u are very correct
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Magnoliaa(f): 9:56pm On May 14, 2017
-Sighs-

Yes,Everything is so true.
i don't even celebrate birthdays anymore. . Or any other ''special'' occasions for that matter. New years, easters, etc. .
I mean, they are just like every other day. Morning comes, it goes. Night comes, it's goes. That's how it's been since the time of adam. We humans are the one. .naming each day, and giving it seasons, bla bla bla. . .
And to think of it, my birthday isn't really on 1-1-17. . No, if that was my birthday, then i would be a year old. Our birthdays is actually on 1-1-/89/99/00. . And so on. So if im to celebrate my 'BIRTH' day, i would go back to year i was born. Why take a full day( 24hours) just to celebrate. . whatevr?? It doesn't have to be a particular day that i have to relax and enjoy..it's doesn't have to be that particular day that i'll visit the orphanage etc. .and i can thank God for my life ANY day. grin

I went for a CBT training, i scored 250 and i was still like '' what rubbish is this?? i can do better!'' (where another girl scored 168 oh)

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by merxi55(f): 10:05pm On May 14, 2017
Please am I a perfectionist.. .i learnt that it's written on the forehead grin
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by Philemhon(m): 10:16pm On May 14, 2017
PaperLace:
I also think perfectionists don't procrastinate (unnecessarily), they love to get things done as soon as possible. I might be wrong though.
No, you're not
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by nicko28(f): 11:21pm On May 14, 2017
SuperSuave:
I hate perfectionists, unfortunately I'm living with one cry

Me too
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by mystmoze(m): 12:00am On May 15, 2017
As one... o.p u are not fully correct but u try
Re: 8 Signs You Are Dealing With A Perfectionist by lailo: 12:00am On May 15, 2017
my wife always call me Mr perfectionist and I always take offence but with all that OP said that described me from head to toe,I now agree.Moral of the story-----No one can know u as much as ur spouse,BUHARI should instead listen to his wife.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where One Who Study Economist Can Work / 5 Things That Can Make You Self-employed In Nigeria / How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.