Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate (9720 Views)

Cost Of Renting Short Let Apartments In Abuja | Co-tenant / The Investment Debate: Houses Vs Apartments / Prices Of Apartments Of The Lagos State Housing Mortgage Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Nobody: 6:53am On May 15, 2017
It is not uncommon for us, realtors to receive mails from prospective investors seeking an opinion as to what property choice to invest in. It is not an easy question to answer and it does depend on a number of factors. As an investor, keeping your portfolio balanced should be the right approach. When you’re considering what to look at, it is worth keeping in mind the following advantages and disadvantages of each. Remember to make sure that, whatever your purchase, it fits in with your overall property investment goals.

ADVANTAGES OF BUYING A HOUSE

Costs
There are many ongoing costs for apartments which you don’t incur when you own a house. The tenant is responsible for maintenance of the property, so you don’t have to pay. Furthermore, some houses have their own water, and/or electricity meters and therefore the tenant is also responsible for paying these bills. In contrast to this, if you own an apartment which does not have a separate meter (and therefore individual billing) then you are responsible for paying these bills.

Market
In many areas there is a greater market for houses, especially the “average” three-bedroom home in the “average” area. A simple internet search on properties sites like naijapropertiesonline .com and others, for affordable areas will bring up far more houses than apartments. We acknowledge that there are places where there is a majority of apartments (take FESTAC for example) but this is the exception rather than the rule for most areas.

Development
If you choose your houses wisely you can leave yourself the opportunity to further develop the block. Most State authorities will stipulate that blocks under a certain size may not be sub-divided or built upon. By buying properties over that given size you enable yourself to consider future developments on the same block. Of course, (if in Lagos) you need to get the Lagos State Building Control Agency's approval.

Renovation
Of course you can improve the buildings too! Renovating and extending are ways to increase the comfort and desirability, and the value, of your property. It’s far easier to improve a house than an apartment – sometimes even minor improvements to an apartment (especially if there is any effect on the external appearance of the building) need permission from the Body Corporate.

Stability
It is assumed that tenants in houses normally stay longer than those in apartments. This is because they are often families who don’t want to move regularly. They put down roots, send their kids to neighbouring schools and fill your store rooms with their belongings. They may even make minor improvements to your property. All this adds up to longer-term tenants.

ADVANTAGES OF BUYING AN APARTMENT

Price
Generally apartments are cheaper than houses. Properties’ values are a total of their land value and the value of the actual building. The land value for apartments is generally very small because, unlike a house on its own block, the actual land ownership for a block of apartments is shared between several owners. Land is often worth more than the building anyway, hence apartments are cheaper.

Build a portfolio
The cheaper nature of apartments means that it’s easier to buy a larger number of properties if you buy apartments. A larger number of properties spreads your risk wider, enables you to buy in different places and reduces the impact if one of your properties is
untenanted. Essentially, buying apartments is a faster way to get more people paying you rent. Remember, though, as you build your portfolio with a larger number of properties it might be wise to at least diversify into owning some houses too!

Buying apartment blocks
It is also possible to buy blocks of apartments (not that we’d recommend you do this until you’re very experienced and have a lot of properties under your belt). Owning a block of apartments means that you have a number of tenants all paying rent, and it’s easier to raise rents because all the tenants will have their rent raised at the same time and by the same proportion.
Raising the rents in many different locations is a much tougher proposition. Of course, by buying a block of apartments, you won’t spread your portfolio geographically and there are many other costs too (see the “costs” advantage of buying a house, and multiply this by however many apartments are in the block!).

Finally, as you can see, both property types have significant advantages and it’s up to you to decide what suits you best and what fits in best with your overall property strategy and goals. We, at naijapropertiesonline .com can help you make the right choice for your budget and investment plans. Good luck!

Source:
http://www.naijapropertiesonline.com/houses-vs-apartments-the-investment-debate
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by RichYoungNigga: 7:03am On May 20, 2017

I just stopped reading at "Tenants are responsible for repairs and maintenance"

Oh, i forgot, Omo Nile call themselves Realtors

7 Likes

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Ukaivbemiles: 7:03am On May 20, 2017
B
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by mattywealth(m): 7:03am On May 20, 2017
“Apartments are most likely to be built in the inner urban areas, and owners of apartments are sharing in the rising value of the land that their buildings stand on… Apartment investors therefore benefit from the appreciating land values, even though they don’t have a direct landholding.”

Meanwhile,ensure you examine the pics bellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtnCsm_cB8I

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by sukkot: 7:04am On May 20, 2017
wink
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Bibors(m): 7:04am On May 20, 2017
When I have money to buy, I will seek advice.
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by jidxin(m): 7:05am On May 20, 2017
but buying a house has more advantages dan flat. buying a flat ur quite nd peaceful enjoyment only ends un ur rooms. and you will keep paying facilities charges nd u will surely ve frictions with oda occupants. then having fleets of cars lets just say like 4 cars will create a space problem. And yearly payment or depending on the tyoe of payment agreed on for instance like every 4 yrs etc and its more or less like a lease agreement
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Nobody: 7:05am On May 20, 2017
Abeg who go dash me house?
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Edum13656: 7:05am On May 20, 2017
Face-Me-I - Face-You, is it apartment or house?

1 Like

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by money121(m): 7:06am On May 20, 2017
Ok
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Mosb(m): 7:06am On May 20, 2017
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Dottore: 7:06am On May 20, 2017
Ok
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Nobody: 7:07am On May 20, 2017
Be like Dangote, invest in what ever you see an opportunity for good returns.

Does anyone know that there is an opportunity in investing in Nigerian universities building standard and well maintained hostels?

1 Like

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Nobody: 7:08am On May 20, 2017
Hmm I don reach
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by realborn(m): 7:09am On May 20, 2017
There are other salient factors to consider..
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by seunny4lif(m): 7:09am On May 20, 2017
jack22221:
contact me with the number below

2 Likes

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by AreaFada2: 7:10am On May 20, 2017
Edum13656:

Tenement house.

1 Like

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by seunny4lif(m): 7:10am On May 20, 2017
grin
Edum13656:

4 Likes

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by DollarAngel(m): 7:11am On May 20, 2017
Good
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by SooCute(m): 7:11am On May 20, 2017
jack22221:

FAKE Mofos with different ID defrauding peoples

u should be banned here. NL is not a bet shop

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by CzarChris(m): 7:12am On May 20, 2017
Interesting
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Edum13656: 7:13am On May 20, 2017
AreaFada2:

Tenement house.
is that so? thanking u.
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Fresia01(f): 7:13am On May 20, 2017
I'm devastated, my bf just broke up with me for no reason! ! I need emotional help! !
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Edum13656: 7:14am On May 20, 2017
seunny4lif:
grin
what's funny?
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by linearity: 7:14am On May 20, 2017
Edum13656:

It is neither a house nor an apartment, it is a living condition.

3 Likes

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Edum13656: 7:15am On May 20, 2017
Fresia01:
I'm devastated, my bf just broke up with me for no reason! ! I need emotional help! !

ok, meet me at home.

1 Like

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Freshsnoow1(m): 7:15am On May 20, 2017
jack22221:

This is scam.. Run for your life

1 Like

Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Freshsnoow1(m): 7:15am On May 20, 2017
jack22221:

This is scam.. Run for your life.... If you are winning such money, then what do you want our 15 or 20k for?

Scam everywhere
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Edum13656: 7:17am On May 20, 2017
linearity:

It is neither a house nor an apartment, it is a living condition.
I'm used to hearing Face-Me-I - Face-You apartment
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by seunny4lif(m): 7:18am On May 20, 2017
Edum13656:

what's funny?
Nothing
Face me I slap is the best in Nigeria cool cool
More money
20 rooms × 100K shocked shocked cool
Re: Apartments Vs Houses: The Investment Debate by Nobody: 7:21am On May 20, 2017
ROXBURY HOMES BRINGS TO YOU THE BEST OF
LUXURIOUS LIVING WITHIN AFFORDABILITY..

SEMI-DETACHED FOUR (4) BEDROOM and TWO (2)
BEDROOM DUPLEXES WITH BQ ARE UP FOR SALE.
COMES FULLY EQUIPPED WITH MODERN GADGETS, and
CARPORTS WITH AMPLE PARKING SPACE.

FACILITIES: One Year Membership of Dream World Fun
City, Swimming Pool, Event Centre, Gym
Centre, Round The Clock Security.

Lekki-Lagos. (BEFORE THE FIRST ROUND ABOUT)

TITLE: Governor's Consent

PRICE: #call for enquiries
FLEXIBLE PAYMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE

Call/WhatsApp: 08075256644
info@naijapropertiesonline.com

www.naijapropertiesonline.com/listings/2nd-toll-gate-
ochid-hotel-road-eleganza/

1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Talk To Our Sales Experts To Sell Your Properties 10X Faster Nationwide / 5 Reasons You Should Invest In Real Estate / The Norther Foreshore Project (electrical, Cctv, Dstv, Access Control, Speakers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.