Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,677 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! (14968 Views)

University Students Will Have To Wear Face Masks In All Lectures From September / Don't Engage In Online Lectures - ASUU Warns Members / 6 Reasons Why You Should Always Attend Lectures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by paulaspearz(f): 3:05pm On May 15, 2017
Everyone has something that works for them. There are people who sit in the front all through the semester and still fail while they are people who don't even attend classes but have better grades without sorting lectures. I only attended gst classes in my year one and in my second and third year I never attended gst nor EPs classes but I still passed them with ease.

1 Like

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by EmmyChizkid(m): 3:05pm On May 15, 2017
Ur post is on point... btw which school uses 4.0 as max cgpa?
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by beetown(m): 3:05pm On May 15, 2017
Truth is that I don't like attending lectures... It's just not my thing but last semester I actually killed myself with awoko(midnight reading) yet I came out with 3.2 outta 5....I don't really know what to do. Maybe I should try the OP's strategy first

1 Like

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by praise1705(f): 3:08pm On May 15, 2017
nice 1
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by JezCalMeJay(m): 3:14pm On May 15, 2017
ORIJIN201:
i could remember i wrote jamb for 5 years and i got admission on the 5th year.
I will have to admit, i am the kind of person who hates reading till date, infact i hate reading. But i will advice you not to, pls don't hate it for your own sake!

When i was in primary school i was a dark horse, people taught it was because i was attending a private school. when my family was in financial crisis, my dad moved me to a public school in lagos. My first term i got a 2nd position, followed by a 3rd position in my second and followed by 1st in my third.
Excellent was ingrained on my testimonial leaving at the end of my primary 6.

when i got into secondary school, i was referred to as an average student sitting between the dull and the brilliant student. i always sat at the back to avoid teachers attention little did i know i was doing myself lol, i always almost didn't gain anything in class. My first waec i had a F9 in english, did GCE thesame year i still failed English with a D7, before i got a C5 the following year in English. I was a science student.

When i got into the higher institution things changed, i saw the mad race people were running for good grades. But i had a goal, what was it? Get a minimum of 2,1. I didn't mind not so brilliant of a person i was but i knew one thing, I was smart.

I attended classes when others didn't, i realised that attending classes and always sitting in the front row, i would gain everything the lecturer said. I didnt have to read books, i discovered myself. I realised i didn't have to read for long periods to pass. All i did was recieve lectures and understand as much possible i could when i got home, all i had to do was take my bath, eat and go through what i had learnt in 10mins per course then go to bed. I mean 10mins a course. During tests i played all through and sat for my test and got good marks.

During exam periods i didn't read for an hour per course. when the results came out my GP was hanging on a 3.16, my school uses 4.0 as max CGPA. Did thesame thing in the second semester my CGPA became 3.23. in my second year.

I had financial issues and didn't attend lectures regularly, when results came out, i had dropped below 3.23 CGPA but still remain within the CGPA of 3.

This is the semester i read the most because i was missing class. Then i realised that no matter how long i read if i had missed classes i wouldn't understand what i read because i was not in class. Come to think of it, If you could read your way through school without lecturers, why are the lectures there to give you lectures? If you are the reading type pls still attend lectures...what is the point of reading and not understanding? why do you think a firm will employ a graduate with 2,1 that understood what he/she did while in school over a 1st class cramming machine? there are no 2 ways about it!

True
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by slawomir: 3:15pm On May 15, 2017
I understand very well when I read on my own than when a lecture is in class

2 Likes

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 15, 2017
EmmyChizkid:
Ur post is on point...
btw which school uses 4.0 as max cgpa?
Public universities.

#YOLO
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by sk8erBoy: 3:18pm On May 15, 2017
This post really resonated with me even after 12 years since my 1st degree grin
The op is exactly on point as regards going to lectures!
I had always been ahead of my mates in school. For example, by the time I was in SS1 I was already doing SS3 Mathematics (thanks to Further Mathematics). At some point I stopped studying and was using other students to practice (when they ask me to teach them!). I started getting cocky.
Fast forward to 100 level. I was blazing! My first GPA was 4.55, hot!. Decided to start skipping lectures. Next GPA was 4.52, still hot. Let's sleep during lectures. I still had some residual knowledge and intelligence. 200 level 1st semester GPA dropped to 4.4 or something, CGPA was still in 1st Class so no worries and the 200 level, 2nd sem I had 4.1 or something, WTF I used to sleep in the hostel during lecture time during harmattan grin I studied alot but op is right I didnt fully understand what I read.
By 300 level, I had dropped to 2.1 and then I almost gave up and I started to notice girls wink
400 level, I attempted a come-back but by then it was too late. I graduated with a 4.29 CGPA. I can never forget that number because I know I had the potential to make a first class.
My young folk in the house. My advice is that you attend lectures o! Yes, education is not everything but if you are going to school do it well or drop-out.
BTW, I have a blog grin Please check it out. Follow and like. I have one or two words of encouragement that can help you get on in life and avoid the mistakes I made. https://orchardbythestream./ or @orchardbythestream on IG and FB

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by Nyceguy92: 3:41pm On May 15, 2017
At lectures, you get the concept, scope and depth expected in the topic.

Some lecturers are good with analogies and you would miss out if you were absent.

Reading is good. It is during reading that you compare and validate what you heard in the class. Also, you will come across even better and simpler explanations of issues.

**I must say that threads like this are more useful and realistic than throwback pictures and what a lady wore to Church**

2 Likes

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by 3DCYCLOPS: 3:43pm On May 15, 2017
hmmm
Even those that don't know how to read will come here and be forming Einstein
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by Ubongdemaga: 3:48pm On May 15, 2017
ORIJIN201:
i could remember i wrote jamb for 5 years and i got admission on the 5th year.
I will have to admit, i am the kind of person who hates reading till date, infact i hate reading. But i will advice you not to, pls don't hate it for your own sake!

When i was in primary school i was a dark horse, people taught it was because i was attending a private school. when my family was in financial crisis, my dad moved me to a public school in lagos. My first term i got a 2nd position, followed by a 3rd position in my second and followed by 1st in my third.
Excellent was ingrained on my testimonial leaving at the end of my primary 6.

when i got into secondary school, i was referred to as an average student sitting between the dull and the brilliant student. i always sat at the back to avoid teachers attention little did i know i was doing myself lol, i always almost didn't gain anything in class. My first waec i had a F9 in english, did GCE thesame year i still failed English with a D7, before i got a C5 the following year in English. I was a science student.

When i got into the higher institution things changed, i saw the mad race people were running for good grades. But i had a goal, what was it? Get a minimum of 2,1. I didn't mind not so brilliant of a person i was but i knew one thing, I was smart.

I attended classes when others didn't, i realised that attending classes and always sitting in the front row, i would gain everything the lecturer said. I didnt have to read books, i discovered myself. I realised i didn't have to read for long periods to pass. All i did was recieve lectures and understand as much possible i could when i got home, all i had to do was take my bath, eat and go through what i had learnt in 10mins per course then go to bed. I mean 10mins a course. During tests i played all through and sat for my test and got good marks.

During exam periods i didn't read for an hour per course. when the results came out my GP was hanging on a 3.16, my school uses 4.0 as max CGPA. Did thesame thing in the second semester my CGPA became 3.23. in my second year.

I had financial issues and didn't attend lectures regularly, when results came out, i had dropped below 3.23 CGPA but still remain within the CGPA of 3.

This is the semester i read the most because i was missing class. Then i realised that no matter how long i read if i had missed classes i wouldn't understand what i read because i was not in class. Come to think of it, If you could read your way through school without lecturers, why are the lectures there to give you lectures? If you are the reading type pls still attend lectures...what is the point of reading and not understanding? why do you think a firm will employ a graduate with 2,1 that understood what he/she did while in school over a 1st class cramming machine? there are no 2 ways about it!
i am of this type. I love sitting in front row even in church.
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by philybuck(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2017
this is really true, I hardly read in high school but always attended classes and made sure i did all my assignments and take homes in class and it worked for me even in the university. But all that changed when I started doing professional programs and exams, couldn't even grasp anything in most of the 4 hour classes because many instructors wanted to finish 18 modules course in 2 months of 8hrs per week lectures, what gave me the extra motivation to read was my passion for codes and my field, I no know where I for dey now grin grin grin. It pays to read.

2 Likes

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by GetHelpWorldwid: 4:14pm On May 15, 2017
maximunimpact:
It looks like cyber attackers have targeted Nigerian computers. My friend that works in a very big firm said all computers are frozen.

WannaCry ransomware
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 15, 2017
EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT.

I only attended lectures regularly on my final year at school. d only reason i did such was because most of the courses were practicals. But throughout the rest of the years, i only attend lectures two times a week( to collect notes, assignments & photocopies).

1 Like

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by NarnieSnyper(m): 4:17pm On May 15, 2017
EmmyChizkid:
Ur post is on point...
btw which school uses 4.0 as max cgpa?

Polytechnics do. 3.5 upwards is is distinction a.k.a first class
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by MsFaith: 4:21pm On May 15, 2017
Op, thanks for this, I won't dull myself again come Msc.
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by lavenjcrown(m): 4:24pm On May 15, 2017
Where are the NOUN students?
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by MsFaith: 4:31pm On May 15, 2017
Nyceguy92:
At lectures, you get the concept, scope and depth expected in the topic.

Some lectures are good with analogies and you would miss out if you were absent.

Reading is good. It is during reading that you compare and validate what you heard in the class. Also, you will come across even better and simpler explanations of issues.

**I must say that threads like this are more useful and realistic than throwback pictures and what a lady wore to Church**

I feel so excited reading this. I wish I read this before I gained admission. Knowledge is indeed power
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by Inyanga(m): 4:31pm On May 15, 2017
10 mins per course?
Please OP you never mentioned the name of your school, so we can assess the intensity of exams there... Even if u are a writing machine and can write down the full textbook, you'll need more than 10mins of study to even get a C...
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by vozinugeri: 4:32pm On May 15, 2017
always
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by Kpeshi10(m): 4:35pm On May 15, 2017
ORIJIN201:
People think learning is thesame as cramming.
Cc olawalebabs, Fynestboi, Richiez epp me get this piece to the promise land o...grin
Well, about 70% of University students today rather cram just to pass there exams, take calculus 4 example, students who neva attend d lectures wud resort to cramming d whole tin, coming bak next semester, dey av 4gotten wat dey av learnt..... (am also guity of this shit)

1 Like

Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by johluv(m): 4:38pm On May 15, 2017
I also prefer attending lectures to reading....... nice op
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by ORIJIN201(m): 4:39pm On May 15, 2017
Kpeshi10:

Well, about 70% of University students today rather cram just to pass there exams, take calculus 4 example, students who neva attend d lectures wud resort to cramming d whole tin, coming bak next semester, dey av 4gotten wat dey av learnt..... (am also guity of this shit)
That calculus no be beans o... but i didn't miss the class sha.
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by ORIJIN201(m): 4:43pm On May 15, 2017
Inyanga:
10 mins per course?
Please OP you never mentioned the name of your school, so we can assess the intensity of exams there... Even if u are a writing machine and can write down the full textbook, you'll need more than 10mins of study to even get a C...
lol... people are different Mr. Man it will shock that i have gone into a exam reading a course for 30mins a course i never read before exam...i got an AB with a mark away from an A, 74 to be precise.
just attend lectures understand and put down your answer in your own words.
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by Kpeshi10(m): 4:45pm On May 15, 2017
ORIJIN201:
That calculus no be beans o... but i didn't miss the class sha.
Lol, attending d lectures rili helped me, coupled wit group work/discussion
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by madeofhuman(m): 5:10pm On May 15, 2017
The fact that you have to beg students to attend lectures is appalling. I do not blame them, sha, I blame the decay in our educational system whereby a student, like a poster above, feel they can just sort their way out of failing grades.

Something drastic needs to be done, and fast. The entire school management system needs to be overhauled, and the Nigerian human factor reviewed. It's just a series of little steps that make a big difference in the end.
Re: Always Attend Lectures A Must Read!!! by Nyceguy92: 5:12pm On May 15, 2017
MsFaith:

I feel so excited reading this. I wish I read this before I gained admission. Knowledge is indeed power

Indeed. You said it all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Nekede: Aptitude Test Result Released: / EKSU Students Protest As School Management Turns To Money Sucking Machine / The State Of Deterioration In Our Schools In Borno State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.