Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job (9517 Views)

Real Or Not Real-job Interview / How To Convert Your Internship Into A Full Time Job / How To Turn Your Internship Into A Full Time Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by zazawaga(m): 12:33pm On May 16, 2017
In Nigeria, it is quite hard to find fresh graduates who are willing to intern. Much harder to find, are those who have been out of school for a while, seeking gainful employment.

This is because a lot of us see internships as a waste of time, especially since we might be required to work so much and yet earn very little or no pay. Plus, there is that name ‘intern’.

From experience however, I have found that an internship is a great opportunity to get yourself into any organization, full time. Since you are already past the door, you have a huge advantage over someone who is outside it.

Whether or not you get the job after {or in some cases, even before} your internship ends is totally up to you - the kind of attitude you portray at work, your approach to work, your value to the organization and the results you earn.

All of these is what the organization (which is screening you, by the way) will see and in turn, decide to retain you.

(PS: If you are interested in an internship opportunity this year, you should visit Sesewa.)

Now, if you are already in, then you should know that there is a 70% chance that your company will hire you. How?

1.Develop yourself:

Your internship is a ground for you to learn. When I left school, I had zero knowledge about marketing communications. All I knew what that I wanted to explore the field, even though I had studied English at the University.

I also knew that with no experience in my desired field, I was sort of u employable and the best thing I had to do was to learn. So, I started out reading books and blogs and eventually I got an internship.

I was supposed to intern for just three months, in a department that was not related to marketing and communications, but while I was there, I took up some extra responsibilities, such as contributing content to the company’s blog, and helping out with copywriting.

Note: I had no experience at all. In fact, when the HR personnel asked if I would be interested in writing copy, I didn’t know what it meant, but I took it and I started learning on the job.

Fast forward to a few months later, my company branched out a new department - marketing & communications and guess who made it in? Me.

So, while you are interning, keep developing yourself. Don’t be the same way you came in three months earlier. Take up new challenges, read more, take online courses and do whatever it would take you to grow. When your company begins to see these changes in you, they'd consider retaining you.

2.Develop Relationships:

Another thing you should do as an intern is to develop a good relationship with your colleagues and employers.

In my case, that was very easy because we weren’t so much, although I remember that the first day I resumed work, I didn’t speak with anyone. It was so bad that when lunch break came, I just sat there in my seat until closing time- hungry! Believe me, nobody told me the next day to talk to the person beside me and that was how a relationship started.

If you are in a small or medium-scale company, developing a relationship with your colleagues and bosses should not be hard. If you are in a large scale company, you can start from those who are closest to you. Also, participate in other company events, like retreats, etc and social opportunities as they arise.

3.Develop a good approach to work:

To turn your internship into a real job, another thing you should do have develop a good approach to work. This includes everything, including dressing and punctuality.

For instance, I got an internship with a company in Ikeja, Lagos State but I lived in Ogun state. To meet up with the resumption time, I had to wake up really early and leave my house on time. Whenever I saw that I was going to be late, I made sure to call my boss or our HR personnel, if I had the means.

Apart from punctuality, a good approach to work also involves less or no complaints or grudge against your work or whoever assigns it to you. Be open to new challenges. Take up responsibilities. Be proactive. Make wise use of your time. Deliver tasks on time. Take initiative. Look for ways to add immense value to the organization. Get results and be willing to help others out, even outside your field.

4.Develop a good attitude at work:

Did you know that some employers actually hire people based on their attitudes and not even experience? Yes. Attitude is everything.

If at work you are the nagging, always complaining, gossiping and always fighting with someone kind of person, chances are that your organization will not retain you.

Your Employers would not want someone who oozes negative energy, so you don’t even infect the rest.

Learn to be positive and mature. Learn to be reliable. Respect everyone and learn to motivate yourself and your other colleagues when they are down.

A positive attitude is something your potential employer will remember. It will improve the quality of your work and even make your job more enjoyable.

5.Make the ask:

You know how in Nigeria, we say “if the mountain doesn’t come to Mohammed, Mohammed will go to the mountain?’ Yes.

If you enjoyed your internship experience and want to work full-time for the company, let them know.

It doesn’t hurt to walk up to your HR and tell him/her how beneficial the internship has been to you and how you’d like the opportunity to keep working with the company after the program is over.

If you have developed 1-4 above, it will be easy for the HR personnel to consider your request, if the organization hadn’t been considering it before.

I hope you found this article helpful. If you have any question regarding internships, job search, or anything career related, feel free to ask. I’ll reply.

Also, if you already have a full time job but you started out as an intern, share your experiences. I’d love to hear how you did it.

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

https://discovery.insidify.com/how-to-turn-your-internship-into-a-real-job

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by zazawaga(m): 12:35pm On May 16, 2017
Please lalasticlala, mynd44 , Dominique push this to the promise land
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by SexyNairalander: 1:44pm On May 16, 2017
booked

nice one op, don't forget we are in Nigeria so developing your connections should be on the list too

3 Likes

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by BiafraBushBoy(m): 1:45pm On May 16, 2017
only with skills

Alot of people ask me the same question. I tell them. Mostly Tech firms give you opportunity for internships and if you don't have the desired ICT skills needed, they will push you out.

Having ICT skills is beneficiary to you as an individual and also to your pocket wink.

Join me at this free seminar tomorrow...

https://www.nairaland.com/3801962/why-should-attend-next-digital

1 Like

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Moving4: 1:45pm On May 16, 2017
Nice

1 Like

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 16, 2017
cheesy
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by julimax(m): 1:46pm On May 16, 2017
nice one

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by maryjan8(f): 1:47pm On May 16, 2017
Nice one
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 16, 2017
grin
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Goldenheart(m): 1:47pm On May 16, 2017
cool
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Factfinder1(m): 1:48pm On May 16, 2017
Rubbish post... Not for Nigeria of today.. After working with little or no pay when time for employment comes they will ditch u and do man know man... It has happened twice... Dear young people strive to be self employed dont work for who wont pay you things are hard.. Even if i must do usher in the church you must pay me.. Simple

3 Likes

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Alleviating: 1:49pm On May 16, 2017
shocked
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by highchief1: 1:49pm On May 16, 2017
zazawaga:

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

https://discovery.insidify.com/how-to-turn-your-internship-into-a-real-job
6:romance ur boss and lobby with gift items
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by VickyRotex(f): 1:49pm On May 16, 2017
Factfinder1:
angry

Why art thou vexing? undecided
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Tenim47(m): 1:50pm On May 16, 2017
LOOKING FOR CLIENT
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Qudbell(m): 1:59pm On May 16, 2017
*farts*, *covers nose*
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by akoredebadru(m): 2:03pm On May 16, 2017
Weidon sir[b][/b][color=#990000][/color][b][/b][size=8pt][/size][img][/img]
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by gergemam: 2:08pm On May 16, 2017
Good article bro....

How about you applying to join as an intern and no response from the organization.
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by iamdynamite(m): 2:27pm On May 16, 2017
Wow, this is a very insightful piece from the OP, am currently interning in an agency, and am looking for a way to make my stay permanent.

1 Like

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by zazawaga(m): 2:42pm On May 16, 2017
Dear Factfinder1, not to sound cliche on you, but hard work does speak for it self. But if you want to take it into your hands to demand for a pay for everything you do(this can be good though, when done tactically)you might end up not getting the opportunity to showcase the skills you're even demanding money for. At the end of the day, I think a ready hand and a dedicated heart always gets rewarded
Factfinder1:
Rubbish post... Not for Nigeria of today.. After working with little or no pay when time for employment comes they will ditch u and do man know man... It has happened twice... Dear young people strive to be self employed dont work for who wont pay you things are hard.. Even if i must do usher in the church you must pay me.. Simple

1 Like

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by OLUJOSHINS(m): 3:01pm On May 16, 2017
I'm finding it difficult to even get an internship.

Dude is really tired.
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by dfrost: 3:22pm On May 16, 2017
zazawaga:

1.Develop yourself:

No. 1 says it all. I don't need to add anything to it. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by Ndkings1(m): 6:03pm On May 16, 2017
I can never do any job that I am not gonna get payed for with all my heart and diligence. I will always drag my fucking feet.
I need to be paid to work with passion
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by erikcantona: 7:06pm On May 16, 2017
You no get joy oo
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by zazawaga(m): 10:03pm On May 16, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
I'm finding it difficult to even get an internship.

Dude is really tired.

send an email to contactus@insidify.com. they will help you. Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by aariwa(m): 11:36pm On May 16, 2017
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:24am On May 17, 2017
zazawaga:

I'm very grateful.

Thanks bro.
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:56am On May 17, 2017
zazawaga:

Please bro, I just tried to send it with my gmail but the response was: invalid address. Please how should I send it.
Re: How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job by desertboom(m): 2:43pm On May 17, 2017
zazawaga:

Please, can I also contact you?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Npower Successful Applicants In Lagos / Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) Young Engineers Program 2018 / Forum For Drilling Rig Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.