Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen - Crime (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen (62751 Views)

Temitope Arowolo: Lebanon Was Hell, I Don’t Pray For Satan To Experience It / Couple Prevents 401(k) Fraud From 2 Nigerians, By Checking Account Just In Time / A Reply To Roberts Lindsay's Assessment Of Nigerians​.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by MiddleDimension: 6:53pm On May 25, 2017
chalantmike:
read properly, the writer narrated experience, yes, drew a conclusion yea Buh she never really generalized, she did say 50, 2-3, blah blah.

how is it racism if what the writer is a saying is the truth, do yhu really know what racism means.

there are some hostel in Nigeria, practically everyone there into one form of internet scam.

that bad name would definitely rub off on the good ones.

one of the reason a friend killed an online idea, was cause of Nigeria's reputation outside.

which hostel is that, and in which school? you people think it is a very wise thing to come to the internet and say false things about your family, right?
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by MiddleDimension: 6:58pm On May 25, 2017
Koskio:
Anyone chiding the writer is clearly living in self-denial. He only said an overwhelming majority of nigerians are corrupt and not all nigerians. It is time for us to admit the truth: 8 in 10 nigerians have corrupt and criminal tendencies and the earlier we change our ways the better for all of us

so at you corupt? tell me how many people you've scammed! dont uou think we should put yo in jail and make you pay for you shameful crimes?
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 25, 2017
MiddleDimension:

which hostel is that, and in which school? you people think it is a very wise thing to come to the internet and say false things about your family, right?
Cumon, get sense how are yhu clueless, the term is practically, I have stood in a room, where everyone in that room is into yahoo, very common amongst Yoruba dudes. to some people once they hear yhur a programmer they automatically think yhur into yahoo.

the real harm would be mentioning a hotel or a university here, dude if yhu don't know ,yhu don't know simple.
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by MiddleDimension: 8:10pm On May 25, 2017
chalantmike:
Cumon, get sense how are yhu clueless, the term is practically, I have stood in a room, where everyone in that room is into yahoo, very common amongst Yoruba dudes. to some people once they hear yhur a programmer they automatically think yhur into yahoo.

the real harm would be mentioning a hotel or a university here, dude if yhu don't know ,yhu don't know simple.

my dear, you are not correct! The university i attended is a typical Nigerian University wit Typical Nigerians as the typical student. There is no reason your students in your school would beave differently from students in my scool if your school is a typical Nigerian school and you students typical Nigerians. Yet, cyber crime was not the NORM in any of our domitories.

If you told me that there is high rate of cyber crime in the early 2000s, i would agree with you. But NOW, it has reduced to the bearest minimum.

I am a youth, and my friends are al youths. If it is a common phenomenon, then my demograhics would practice it the most. But guess what? They don't! They are more into Naija bet, mmm et al.
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by MiddleDimension: 8:26pm On May 25, 2017
And as for the Nigerian that commented in that blog, well, i know his likes. Like someone said, they are those Nigerians who stay abroad and feel more foreign than they feel Nigerian. These people loathe Nigeria so much because it is a developining country and they like to feel bigger against other Nigerians who are from the country. It is exactly the way many Nigerian who live in the city and were born in the city, feel towards their own very ethnicity and people from their ethnic group who live back home.

Yes, there is difference in orientation, there is difference in mannerisms, and there is definitely difference in knowledge and attitude. But to think you are better than anyone down here, and that there is no one here wo is better than you in terms of all the knowledge, attitude, mannerism, etc you call more civilized, is a big lie you tell yourself!

People like tat Nigerian who wrote in that blog would be embarrased and disgraced the day he meets any Nigerian like me, who would floor him and make him look like the stupid man he is.

Funny enough, people like him don't even live in the best part of the US, don't live anywhere close to the average person in the US, they actually live under the poverty line their host countries, and they feel they can feel superior to their country men in their mother land.

These people criticise Nigeria pretending to be "telling the truth so that we can change". But the truth is, they only say those things to make themselves feel superior to their us who live here in Nigeria. As soon as there is a news of positive development coming from Nigeria, these people are the first to feel skeptical and dismiss it as 'miss placed priority'. They say this because they don't like us developing. If we develop, what else will be left for them to rubbish about Nigeria so that they can feel good about themselves after failing woefully in their host countries?
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 25, 2017
MiddleDimension:

my dear, you are not correct! The university i attended is a typical Nigerian University wit Typical Nigerians as the typical student. There is no reason your students in your school would beave differently from students in my scool if your school is a typical Nigerian school and you students typical Nigerians. Yet, cyber crime was not the NORM in any of our domitories.

If you told me that there is high rate of cyber crime in the early 2000s, i would agree with you. But NOW, it has reduced to the bearest minimum.

I am a youth, and my friends are al youths. If it is a common phenomenon, then my demograhics would practice it the most. But guess what? They don't! They are more into Naija bet, mmm et al.

av had a 15 yr old I was tutoring java, ask me to teach him yahoo yahoo. I had too start explaining how the concept of yahoo Yahoo differ from actual programming knowledge.

in the average Nigerian mindset yahoo Yahoo is not a crime, its a hey rich quick scheme, easy money.

I know guys back then that had two or more 2go account, female account, masquerading as females duping guys like em selves. I know an adult mid thirty something years old who still has those female account.

guys in the hostel use to boast about their 2go exploit like it was nothing, the more they boast the more other guys would wanna do it, this is not a statistic, this is the average guy talk back then.

in the average Nigerian mindset duping another person means yhur more intelligent than them, a guy would approach yhu telling yhu how he has not feed since morning or how much his in need of 100naira, yhull help them only for them to go about and b like " them don June yhu", " I use him head" etc.

pls where in Nigeria yhu at, that place must be heaven.
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by MiddleDimension: 9:47pm On May 25, 2017
chalantmike:

av had a 15 yr old I was tutoring java, ask me to teach him yahoo yahoo. I had too start explaining how the concept of yahoo Yahoo differ from actual programming knowledge.

in the average Nigerian mindset yahoo Yahoo is not a crime, its a hey rich quick scheme, easy money.

I know guys back then that had two or more 2go account, female account, masquerading as females duping guys like em selves. I know an adult mid thirty something years old who still has those female account.

guys in the hostel use to boast about their 2go exploit like it was nothing, the more they boast the more other guys would wanna do it, this is not a statistic, this is the average guy talk back then.

in the average Nigerian mindset duping another person means yhur more intelligent than them, a guy would approach yhu telling yhu how he has not feed since morning or how much his in need of 100naira, yhull help them only for them to go about and b like " them don June yhu", " I use him head" etc.

pls where in Nigeria yhu at, that place must be heaven.

you are mentioning 2go. That means it's been a while. How many people are still on 2go? The point is: there aren't too many people into the yahoo yahoo scheme anymore.

The term "yahoo yahoo" brings to mind the website "Yahoo". How many people still have those messangers? The whole thing was rife in the days of yahoo messanger. That's when you see young people sleep in the cyber cafe. Today, those cyber cafes are out of business.

There is still internet fraud in Nigeria like you ave elsewhere in the world but it is not a phenomenon like it use to be.

As for the child who asked you to teach him yahoo yahoo, well it think it is normal for children that age to think that way. They want to be 'BAD' as bad boys are hailed.
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 25, 2017
MiddleDimension:
And as for the Nigerian that commented in that blog, well, i know his likes. Like someone said, they are those Nigerians who stay abroad and feel more foreign than they feel Nigerian. These people loathe Nigeria so much because it is a developining country and they like to feel bigger against other Nigerians who are from the country. It is exactly the way many Nigerian who live in the city and were born in the city, feel towards their own very ethnicity and people from their ethnic group who live back home.

Yes, there is difference in orientation, there is difference in mannerisms, and there is definitely difference in knowledge and attitude. But to think you are better than anyone down here, and that there is no one here wo is better than you in terms of all the knowledge, attitude, mannerism, etc you call more civilized, is a big lie you tell yourself!

People like tat Nigerian who wrote in that blog would be embarrased and disgraced the day he meets any Nigerian like me, who would floor him and make him look like the stupid man he is.

Funny enough, people like him don't even live in the best part of the US, don't live anywhere close to the average person in the US, they actually live under the poverty line their host countries, and they feel they can feel superior to their country men in their mother land.

These people criticise Nigeria pretending to be "telling the truth so that we can change". But the truth is, they only say those things to make themselves feel superior to their us who live here in Nigeria. As soon as there is a news of positive development coming from Nigeria, these people are the first to feel skeptical and dismiss it as 'miss placed priority'. They say this because they don't like us developing. If we develop, what else will be left for them to rubbish about Nigeria so that they can feel good about themselves after failing woefully in their host countries?
yhur argument does not favour yhu one bit

" if they live below the poverty line,into their respective host countries, yet feel this way about Nigeria "

what does that say about yhur country Nigeria?.

lemma rephrase, if they are contented with been a begger overseas than been a politician in Nigeria, what does that say about Nigeria as a whole.

should I rephrase again or get the point.

NOT GOOD !. so yhur argument favors the opposing party.
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 25, 2017
MiddleDimension:

you are mentioning 2go. That means it's been a while. How many people are still on 2go? The point is: there aren't too many people into the yahoo yahoo scheme anymore.

The term "yahoo yahoo" brings to mind the website "Yahoo". How many people still have those messangers? The whole thing was rife in the days of yahoo messanger. That's when you see young people sleep in the cyber cafe. Today, those cyber cafes are out of business.

There is still internet fraud in Nigeria like you ave elsewhere in the world but it is not a phenomenon like it use to be.

As for the child who asked you to teach him yahoo yahoo, well it think it is normal for children that age to think that way. They want to be 'BAD' as bad boys are hailed.

I admire yhur optimistic view, honestly, let's pray yhu don't get duped vias Badoo ,Facebook ,twitter etc, its very much happening NOW.

bad guys been hailed , in the society please who is responsible for that?, is that really a good thing. every kid wants to be like davido,even the adults,last years a kid turn celebrity just cause he wanted to become yahoo yahoo when he grows up, that kids was rewarded,not just with fame but actual cash,and laptop if I remember correctly.

am not saying Nigeria is all out bad ,nah never what am saying is its happening Now here,live and clear and its on the high rate. for the fact others countries are doing it doesn't mean we should too, we owe it to ourselves to hold ourselves up to better standards.

Nigerians are the Jews of Africa, that's the major reason foreigner hate us,just in case yhu don't know, America as a whole, the immigrant Jews were the major builders back then, the American economy is largely driven by the Jews,more like silently.
Americans did not adopt the slogan "No MANS LAND" out of fancy, the original owners of the country, were not the ones who developed it,they're still applying that logic till today.
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by MiddleDimension: 10:07pm On May 25, 2017
chalantmike:
yhur argument does not favour yhu one bit

" if they live below the poverty line,into their respective host countries, yet feel this way about Nigeria "

what does that say about yhur country Nigeria?.

lemma rephrase, if they are contented with been a begger overseas than been a politician in Nigeria, what does that say about Nigeria as a whole.

should I rephrase again or get the point.

NOT GOOD !. so yhur argument favors the opposing party.

the reason they won't retrace their steps is because of shame and arrogance, for those ones born here and went there as adults. They don't people to tell them "...and what did you achieve travelling out". And pls just stop it already! Don't talk like it will be easy for them to come back and break into the political class here.

And on a lighter note, they are just not connected to this part of the world because they were either not born here, or they went over there as children and spent from their formative years to their adulthood over there. This makes them not to feel very Nigerian.

So even if they live below the US poverty line, they still wouldnt come back here not because here is not better, but because they do not feel any or much connection here.
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by MiddleDimension: 10:35pm On May 25, 2017
chalantmike:

I admire yhur optimistic view, honestly, let's pray yhu don't get duped vias Badoo ,Facebook ,twitter etc, its very much happening NOW.

bad guys been hailed , in the society please who is responsible for that?, is that really a good thing. every kid wants to be like davido,even the adults,last years a kid turn celebrity just cause he wanted to become yahoo yahoo when he grows up, that kids was rewarded,not just with fame but actual cash,and laptop if I remember correctly.

am not saying Nigeria is all out bad ,nah never what am saying is its happening Now here,live and clear and its on the high rate. for the fact others countries are doing it doesn't mean we should too, we owe it to ourselves to hold ourselves up to better standards.

Nigerians are the Jews of Africa, that's the major reason foreigner hate us,just in case yhu don't know, America as a whole, the immigrant Jews were the major builders back then, the American economy is largely driven by the Jews,more like silently.
Americans did not adopt the slogan "No MANS LAND" out of fancy, the original owners of the country, were not the ones who developed it,they're still applying that logic till today.

my dear, i am not being optimistic; rather, i am being realisitic. Whhat i am saying is the reality! I can remember the early 2000s when guys would be everywhere in a particular cyber cafe i patronized. I don't see that today! It was a very notorious phenomenon back then.

And no, i have recieved inboxes on FB from Liberia etc asking me to part with my money before. What i did? I just ignored.

I have also recieved text messages on several occasions. I treated those messages the same way...ignored it!

Again i say, fraud or attempt at fraud, are not limited to Nigeria. The US still accounts for most of the internet fraud that takes place in this world.

When i said "bad guys beinf hailled", i was talking of among teenagers. It is all part of juvenile delinquence. It is all about te tendency to rebel against the society and authority.

Although, i would like to see children aspiring to become physicists, mathematicians, astronomers and cosmologists more than anything else; but is it wrong for a child to want to be a Davido? Do you want to know what impact the likes of Davido have brought to Nigeria? Let me explain:

we are on a thread about the bad image of Nigeria the world over. But guess who are the ones that even help lift our image a little bit in this world, especially in Africa? It is the likes of the same Davido you just don't want children to aspire to become!

Do you know how much the likes of Davido-led entertainment indstry is doing to the economy of Nigeria? The entertainment industry is now worth 3bn dollar a year. This means that they have successfully added another sector to the country's economy at a time we are talking about diversification! Diversification is what your heavily financed government has not been able to do with their billions of dollars annual budget.

In '98, when the revolution of the entertainment industry started, the likes of D1, Kenny, et al, to the Davidos of today were the ones who single handedly brought up an entertainment industry from virtually nothing to what it is today that Nigeria is known for all around the continent.

Today, while some Nigeria haters would always want to call us 419, they also remember to us for our Davidos, Wizkids, Omosexys et al.

If the likes of Davido are not worthy role models like you are trying to portray, who else do you want children to take after? Is it the same engrs who cannot come up with lasting solutions to our electricity problems? Or the computer scientits who have not been able to come up with mechanisms to help the EFCC crack down on these same cybercrimes so that our country's name that is being rubbished by these bigoted foreigners will be cleared. Where is their work really? No where!

You have to remember that the reason our children want to be a davido is because we see the fruit of their labour not just in the money they make, but also in the good name they give te country abroad, and the diversification of the economy they brought about.

So you can see we are only paying lip-service to "our children dont even want to be engrs any more yada yada yada"

and it is absolutely untrue that a child wanting to be a fraudstar was rewarded in Nigeria.
Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by MARKone(m): 7:21am On May 26, 2017
At middledimension what are you even saying?, you argue blindly and your defence is juvenile. You are comparing year 2000 and now?, you feel that online fraud reduced because you don't see fraudsters in cafes again, undecided how many cyber cafes are in existence now, when you can do your yahoo yahoo in the comfort of your home with your laptop and smartphone. Please Nigerians are endemically corrupt, it runs in our veins, and the writter and outside world, truly have cause to be conscious when dealing with Nigerians. The say the youths are the future of the country, but we just ended up tarnishing the image of this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Don’t Like Nigerians By Robert Lindsay, A US Citizen by Escobapablo(m): 2:04pm On Jun 21, 2017
Man, this article eh!!!

Most of what's been said is true. We r corrupt, not discipline bla bla bla, very obvious we caused these on ourselves, n even being hated d most amongst all Africans. However, this also points out that an average Nigerian is smarter than 5 of u haters out there. U have to be smart to out smart u all out there, be it ur money, women... name it. I am not proud of how we r perceived, or what our politicians r doing to d country. Bt wt what u r saying, I will stay back in this country n proof u wrong. So, sorry to u, I can only be a Nigerian, n Bros, I will be a Nigerian for a very long time. Of course u know if I want to be an American, I can. Trump can't stop me. He knows he can't stop us. Ask him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

99-Year-Old Prisoner On Death Row In Enugu Prison With His Son (Photos) / Man Blames Beautiful Girlfriend For Plantain Theft / Fakhriyya Ben-umar, The First Wife Of Bilyamin Bello Who Was Killed By 2nd Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.