Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,897 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria (4421 Views)

Why Lagos May Collapse - Donald Duke / How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija / How The North Is Underdeveloping Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by MasterChen: 2:10pm On May 17, 2017
deomelo:
A funny example I read today on NL about Lagos setting up oil and gas business and exploration company is a good example. Lagos is not losing sleep over Nigeria because the leadership mentality in Lagos is very different, not like leadership in other states and even at the federal. They are moving ahead at a rapid pace even ahead of Nigeria.

Imagine Lagos as a state in Nigeria setting their own goal to be Africa's the 3rd largest economy in just a few years so what's next? Number 1 and largest economy in Africa?

Abeg swing me the link

6 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by Omofunaab2: 2:10pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:
That said, there are also structural reasons as to why things aren't working right for some other states but hey...that's still not an excuse. Kò kan áyé

Yeah, about the structural reasons. There are some projects in some states in which the FG has abandoned, and the state government of that state doesn't have the financial muscle to execute those projects on behalf of the FG. .and these projects will help shape the economy of such states. ..but also we have heard of cases where FG and state government disagrees on federal projects.. Cases whereby FG doesn't want to transfer the execution or maintainance of some road projects to state governments...

And that's why most states needs to negotiate with the FG, don't just sit down and wait for them.. collect approval and execute those projects you know will have positive impact on your state's economy.

Ogun state for example has quite a good number of federal roads because of its status as the "gateway of the country " almost all the roads in ogun State are federal roads, lafenwa - aiyetoro, enugada-adatan-osiele, even roads in sagamu and ijebu ode.

Amosun could have waited for the federal government to repair those roads but he knew the significance of those roads to the economy of the state hence he sought for FG approval then he took loan to execute those projects.

Apart from road projects, Government should develop their tourist centers too ,then can make money from it , sports is one aspect of Nigeria's economy that needs massive investors. .that sector hasn't been touched at all. .South Africa is doing well in sports today. .we need to also copy them... States governments has a lot to do.

No be lagos fault.. Plus i heard lagos wants the FG to transfer the ownership of national stadium, surelere to them

11 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by IgbosAreGreat(f): 2:12pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:

Abeg swing me the link

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by MasterChen: 2:12pm On May 17, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Yeah, about the structural reasons. There are some projects in some states in which the FG has abandoned, and the state government of that state doesn't have the financial muscle to execute those projects on behalf of the FG. .and these projects will help shape the economy of such states. ..but also we have heard of cases where FG and state government disagrees on federal projects.. Cases whereby FG doesn't want to transfer the execution or maintainance of some road projects to state governments...

And that's why most states needs to negotiate with the FG, don't just sit down and wait for them.. collect approval and execute those projects you know will have positive impact on your state's economy.

Ogun state for example has quite a good number of federal roads because of its status as the "gateway of the country " almost all the roads in ogun State are federal roads, lafenwa - aiyetoro, enugada-adatan-osiele, even roads in sagamu and ijebu ode.

Amosun could have waited for the federal government to repair those roads but he knew the significance of those roads to the economy of the state hence he sought for FG approval then he took loan to execute those projects.

Apart from road projects, Government should develop their tourist centers too ,then can make money from it , sports is one aspect of Nigeria's economy that needs massive investors. .that sector hasn't been touched at all. .South Africa is doing well in sports today. .we need to also copy them... States governments has a lot to do.

No be lagos fault..

100%

8 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by Omofunaab2: 2:24pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:
This dundee is logging in with alternate monikers to like comments. I no get your time bro. grin This is a small thread

I don see those your Igbotic.girl and USA.babe accounts by the way cheesy

Greet the Swahili and Godprotectigbo ones for me too.

Lol, you don even sabi am..

7 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by MasterChen: 2:30pm On May 17, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Lol, you don even sabi am..

No mind am jare. Him wan take my moniker shine like him fellow potopoto citizens. They think they can catch me off guard lol

These clowns quote me even on the most irrelevant threads cheesy

People wey I go still serve better food. I don't need to chase them around

That one that quoted me is

swahili.0
godprotectigbo.s
Godprotectigbo.5
Godprotectigbo.2
Igbotic.girl
USA.babe.

Edit: just realized you busted the clown here

https://www.nairaland.com/3585090/2019-how-south-west-shape-nigerian#53001172

6 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by IgbosAreGreat(f): 2:32pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:

No mind am jare. Him wan take my moniker shine like him fellow potopoto citizens. They think they can catch me off guard lol

swahili.0
godprotectigbo.s
Godprotectigbo.5
Godprotectigbo.2
Igbotic.girl
USA.babe.

seriously one person owns all those account

and is me

i be celebrity for nairaland oooo
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by IgbosAreGreat(f): 2:33pm On May 17, 2017
make i buy land here
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by Blue3k(m): 2:37pm On May 17, 2017
Private sector moves to profit.
States van compete like you said.
Federal Government can do things to improve other sections infastrure rail, ports and highways.

I dislike big cities I rather live in the suburbs. The city is for work the suburbs are too live in.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by Omofunaab2: 2:42pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:

swahili.0
godprotectigbo.s
Godprotectigbo.5
Godprotectigbo.2
Igbotic.girl
USA.babe.

Let me guess how you discovered he was still the same person with same monikers.

Dude starts every sentence with a lowercase letter, his contributions on this forum are always childish and bereft of intelligence .. You get to see this quite often in his senseless comments " grin grin grin grin grin grin"

He quotes himself whenever he's not making sense.

Se.un needs to create a kids section for peeps like that where his folly will be deeply appreciated by his peers

Modified : Masterchen, i nabbed him on that thread, he is not that clever

7 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by deomelo: 2:42pm On May 17, 2017
ODVanguard:

Exactly. The state doesn't even get to keep it's VAT, revenues generated via her ports, land and air borders which all go to the FG, yet she has managed to continue to look inwards, increase her IGR, and aim higher as a state. Honestly, IMO, even if it's just for administrative convenience, Nigeria should be restructured for the benefit of all.

With what Lagos is generating including from VAT, it's no brainer that what is good for Lagos is good for the rest of Nigeria because this is the internally generated funds that funds projects and developments in other states.

Look at IGR and the huge amount Lagos is collecting. Many people here still abuse Tinubu and call him names. When he was the governor, he met a state generating less than N500 million a month in a state with very huge population and un-taxed public, privat and informal sectors so he brought in Alpha Beta to handle the problem and even though many people complained and made a lot of noise that he owned the company and is milking Lagos state, but facts remain that Lagos state grew their IGR from measly N500 million per month to N33 billion per month today and many states in Nigeria are using the same Alpha Beta today for the same reason. Thanks to the same Tinubu for having that foresight and vision.

The fact that Lagos state is blessed with a huge tax base is not enough and you can not take that fact to the bank, you still have to work hard, put good tax collection system in place and go out there to collect that money while at the same time keep innovating and remain in good economic position to keep generating more funds.

Many states state leaders are not only lazy and incompetent, they are void of good ideas and not even mentally sophisticated so it's very hard for them to come up with anything to move their states forward.

9 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by deomelo: 2:44pm On May 17, 2017

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by ZelibeKristien: 2:45pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:

You no dey fit contribute for this kain matter because nothing dey inside that pangolo grin

If na Maazi Kanu news now, you for don dey spam everywhere with your Afonja, Yoruba Muslim, skull mining jargons. That's all you can offer

This Biafra bullchiiit is the only reason why some of you are able to make comments, aijebe.. y'all should be in the in the gaming section playing emoji puzzles

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by MasterChen: 2:46pm On May 17, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Let me guess how you discovered he was still the same person with same monikers.

Dude starts every sentence with a lowercase letter, his contributions on this forum are always childish and bereft of intelligence .. You get to see this quite often in his senseless comments " grin grin grin grin grin grin"

Se.un needs to create a kids section for peeps like that where his folly will be deeply appreciated by his peers

The smiley is like the biggest giveaway and the fact that he quotes himself whenever he's not making sense grin

The bembela likes sharing his own posts. cheesy The whole thing is just easy to spot lol. Even the monikers are almost similar. Igbos.are.great, Igbotic.girl, Godprotect.igbos

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by Omofunaab2: 2:48pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:

The smiley is like the biggest giveaway and the fact that he quotes himself when he's not making sense grin The Bembela likes sharing his own posts. cheesy The whole thing is just easy to spot lol. Even the monikers are almost similar. Igbos.are.great, Igbotic.girl, Godprotect.igbos

Lol, the guy is not that clever

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by MasterChen: 2:48pm On May 17, 2017

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by ZelibeKristien: 2:50pm On May 17, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Modified : Masterchen, i nabbed him on that thread, he is not that clever

Very easy to spot them. He writes ofonja instead of afonja, and many other irrelevant and childish bullcrap. Lol

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by deomelo: 2:55pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:

Some even said Tinubu is the reason why Ibaka seaport was abandoned under Jona

The kind bullocks yarns wey I dey read for here ehn grin

Despite the yearly allocation of several billions of naira for the construction of a proposed greenfield deep seaport at Ibaka in Akwa Ibom State by both the State Government and the Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA) since 2011, the project has remained elusive, with no evidence of a port being built at the proposed site.

The project is missing in the National Integrated Infrastructure Master Plan and in the list of similar projects planned in partnership between the federal government and state government, with expectations of private investors collaborations, investigations by LEADERSHIP have revealed.

The Ibaka Deep Seaport, a project for which the federal ministry of transport, the NPA and the Akwa Ibom State Government have held several workshops and taken commendations at several events is also missing in a maritime and air transport report prepared by Steer Davies Gleave for the Infrastructure Consortium for Africa (ICA) hosted by

The African Development Bank.

The study, which was carried out to assess the potential for enhanced private participation in the maritime and air transport sectors in Africa however identified the Lekki Deep Seaport measuring 970m of container berths, 320m dry bulk berth, 1-2 oil berths and located 60km east of Lagos.

The Badagry greefield port, Koko Port and Olokola Port were also listed with their capacity and promoters.

The water at Ibaka is said to have a natural draft of 11 metres, without dredging, making it a huge potential for possible deep seaport construction.

Akwa Ibom State has continued to budget for the port, which Governor Godswill Akpabio said would create employment for 100,000 Nigerians.

The NPA had also told LEADERSHIP in Uyo at the PCC meeting that the deep seaport would be completed in 2015.

When LEADERSHIP visited the proposed site of the deep seaport at Ibaka, there was nothing to show that a seaport was being planned at coastal community.

A lonely dilapidated narrow road, better described as a colonial road leads to Ibaka, from Oron. As early as 2011, the Akwa Ibom State Governor told a Nigeria Ports Consultative Council (PCC) meeting in Uyo that his government had concluded plans to dualise the road.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201312160580.html

Akpabio budgeted billions for the same Ibaka every year while in office, but no ibaka seaport. Akpabio pocket every kobo grin

While Lagos is constructing 2 new deep seaport. grin

8 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by oduastates: 2:56pm On May 17, 2017
Lagos is not underdeveloping other states .
The other states are just rubbish .
Rubbish do what rubbish does.

1 Agro states without tractors .
2 Barren (desert) states without greenhouse agriculture.
3 Cattle states without ranches
4 Cocoa /palm oil states where cocoa trees are over 50 years old
5 None with any form of value chain ( processing or finished products)
6 Coastal states without fishing fleets

I couldn't see myself voting 33 out of the 36 governors as ward councillors.

6 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by IgbosAreGreat(f): 2:58pm On May 17, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Lol, the guy is not that clever

so i am even a guy
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by veraponpo(m): 2:59pm On May 17, 2017
ODVanguard:
Another round of Lagos bashing about to begin. It's not rocket science why Lagos keeps attracting people from everywhere. Na exceptional leadership and continuity dey make the difference. Until '99 Lagos didn't have so much to offer after it lost FG patronage as FCT to Abuja. But it's leadership since then went back to the drawing board and re-engineered her for greatness.

Why can't those other states whose people are migrating to Lagos in droves also create an enabling environment for not just their own local population but also others to find them attractive enough to move to?

You are right. Exactly what Ogun State started doing few years ago under the leadership of Amosun. If Ogun continues with the current momentum, it will soon be close to Lagos in many areas. Then new argument will sprout up like - it is the proximity to Lagos that makes it possible. Ogun is close to Benin Republic Border, Ogun has educated people, etc.

But people always forget leadership ability of the government that makes it possible. Today Ogun's IGR is the first in the nation for any non-oil producing state since Lagos has been ranked as an Oil Producing state.

Other states that can perform like Lagos if they have good leaders are:

1. Kogi Sate ( many natural resources, artifacts, tourism sites, arable land, etc)
2 Edo same as above
3. Rivers state same as above
4. Delta, Same as above
5. Cross River and Akwa-Ibom
6. Kano
7. Kaduna
8. Borno

It is all about good leadership

8 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by MasterChen: 3:00pm On May 17, 2017
deomelo:

Akpabio budgeted billions for the same Ibaka every year while in office, but no ibaka seaport. Akpabio pocket every kobo grin

Was he not the same guy that said the Southwest sends mercenaries to other parts of Nigeria? grin cheesy

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by ZelibeKristien: 3:04pm On May 17, 2017
IgbosAreGreat:

so i am even a guy

Bro, Leave this thread and let educated people contribute something meaningful, we will invite you on the Mazi Kanu/We SS n SE thread where you can display your afonja chanting skills.

7 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by IgbosAreGreat(f): 3:05pm On May 17, 2017
ZelibeKristien:

Bro, Leave this thread and let educated people contibute some meaningful, we will invite you on the Mazi Kanu/We SS n SE thread where you can display your afonja chanting skills.

u have serious attitude problem
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by deomelo: 3:08pm On May 17, 2017
MasterChen:

Was he not the same guy that said the Southwest sends mercenaries to other parts of Nigeria grin cheesy

Yes, the same clown ported himself and his family to Lagos throughout his 8 years in Akwa Ibom.

The looter presided over the largest state budget in Nigeria even more than Lagos under Fashola, but he completed less than 5 project while in office after a few fancy boju boju roads.

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by laudate: 3:11pm On May 17, 2017
veraponpo:
You are right. Exactly what Ogun State started doing few years ago under the leadership of Amosun. If Ogun continues with the current momentum, it will soon be close to Lagos in many areas. Then new argument will sprout up like - it is the proximity to Lagos that makes it possible. Ogun is close to Benin Republic Border, Ogun has educated people, etc.

But people always forget leadership ability of the government that makes it possible. Today Ogun's IGR is the first in the nation for any non-oil producing state since Lagos has been ranked as an Oil Producing state.

Other states that can perform like Lagos if they have good leaders are:

1. Kogi Sate ( many natural resources, artifacts, tourism sites, arable land, etc)
2 Edo same as above
3. Rivers state same as above
4. Delta, Same as above
5. Cross River and Akwa-Ibom
6. Kano
7. Kaduna
8. Borno

It is all about good leadership

Guy, everything you said is correct. sad Even the chap you quoted made a lot of sense. But when you mentioned Kogi, I felt like crying. Kogi state is a metaphor for clueless leadership. cry

Even when a state has natural resources, waterways, access and proximity to the state capital, its' development can still be stunted or killed by visionless, clueless, inept leaders who do not have the first idea of what it takes to achieve progress and excellence. If it was possible to rotate governors, I would ask Fashola, Donald Duke and Akpabio to take turns at the helm of governing Kogi State. Anyone should tell me if that state would not be transformed into a showpiece of excellence. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by deomelo: 3:14pm On May 17, 2017
IgbosAreGreat:

so i am even a guy

Please go away. You people are not know for sane and intelligent conversation.

I'm sure your village brothers need you somewhere to scream and yell afonja and whatever dumb rubbish you people dirty threads with all over the place.

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by IgbosAreGreat(f): 3:32pm On May 17, 2017
deomelo:

Please go away. You people are not know for sane and intelligent conversation.

I'm sure your village brothers need you somewhere to scream and yell afonja and whatever dumb rubbish you people dirty threads with all over the place.

All this omo niles claiming lagos ...
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by deomelo: 3:58pm On May 17, 2017
IgbosAreGreat:

Glad you are back to the usual crude and unintelligent rubbish you are known for. Keep it up. grin

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by ba7man(m): 4:21pm On May 17, 2017
IgbosAreGreat:

Common, I know you want to scream "Afonjjaaaa"!!!. wink

Ok.....let's do it together......1.....2.....3....GO!!

AFOONNJAAA!!!......AFFOOONNJAAAA....!!!.....

Join me....I know you want to.... grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by ba7man(m): 4:26pm On May 17, 2017
All these unenlightened people that choose their leaders based on how well they insult and oppose APC, rather on the strength of their development plans are now complaining that their states are underdeveloped.

Better enjoy what you foisted on yourselves.

Those Niger Delta States should be giving Lagos a run for its money based on their large allocations.

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria by Basic123: 4:42pm On May 17, 2017
sarrki:
The developers are here
lolz

you can see him listing Aba,onitsha when he forgot to mention kaduna.

By the way,Lagos is not a city.Its a conurbation of cities.That is why,I laugh when Igbo are trying to capitalize on Oba unknowledgable statement..which cities of lagos conurbation belongs to benin?

Ikorodu

Eko

Apapa

festac

Agege

Lekki

Badagri

Ikeja

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Change Logo After SARS Killing / US Indicts Atiku As Brain Behind Recent Killings In Nigeria / Katsina Election: Tribunal Dismisses Petition Against Governor Masari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.