Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Run Flat Tires: How They Work - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Run Flat Tires: How They Work (9998 Views)

Tipper Spotted Driving On Flat Tires In Lagos (video) / Types Of Rims In Cars, Their Uses And How They Work / Airbags: How They Work And Types (2) (3) (4)

Run Flat Tires: How They Work by obafemee80(m): 5:45am On May 18, 2017
Though they first appeared in the mid-1980s, run flat tires (RFT) are now more popular than ever. With some auto manufacturers making them standard in new vehicles, more consumers are asking about run flats, their advantages, and how using them impacts driving.

WHAT ARE RUN FLAT TIRES?

Run flat tires are tires on which you can continue driving after a puncture so you can take time get to an auto shop or find a safe, level area to change your tire.

You can’t drive on them indefinitely, though. Check the manufacturer’s specifications to find out how fast and how far you can drive on your run flat tires.Some run-flat tires will allow continued operation even after a loss of some or all inflation pressure for up to 50 miles (80 km) at a maximum speed up to 50 mph (80 km/h.)

HOW DO RUN FLAT TIRES WORK?

There are two primary types of run flat tire systems: the self-supporting system and the support ring system.

Self-Supporting Sytem:In most self-supporting run flat tire systems, the tire features reinforced sidewall construction that will continue supporting the vehicle in the event of air loss. This construction allows continued operation after the loss of air pressure up to the speed and distance specified by the manufacturer.Pics 1

Support Ring System:Support ring run flat tire systems, on the other hand, employ a ring of hard rubber or another structure that can support the vehicle’s weight in an air loss condition.Pics 2

Since they continue performing even though they’re “flat,” all run flat tires, regardless of the specific system type, may only be used on a vehicle equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). The TPMS alerts you as soon as one of your tires loses pressure. Without it, you might not know you were driving on an underinflated tire.

BENEFITS OF RUN FLAT TIRES
You don’t have to change your tire in dangerous or uncomfortable conditions. This is perhaps the biggest benefit of run flat tires and is the one of the reasons why they were designed. With conventional tires, you have to replace a flat on the spot or have your car towed.

In a puncture situation, run flats are more stable than conventional tires.
.Since they’re made to support your vehicle even when they contain no air, run flat tires will help you maintain better control in a complete air loss situation than conventional tires.

As consumers continue rating safety high on the list of features they look for in a vehicle, the popularity of run flat tires is expected to grow. Since run flat tires work reliably with interconnected technologies like TPMS, it may only be a matter of time before they become the norm rather than the exception in new vehicles.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/run-flat-tires

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by diportivo: 6:50am On May 18, 2017
you forgot to add price grin

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Ezedon(m): 7:12am On May 18, 2017
thanks

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Skerere: 7:20am On May 18, 2017
correct!

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Donnyboy(m): 7:22am On May 18, 2017
Please guys check out the trailer of My Short film BORDER... I Shot it with a phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay2W82ii2-o&itct=CAoQpDAYASITCKbr5a2n3NMCFZ6QVQod%3D%3D&gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by OlujobaSamuel: 7:22am On May 18, 2017
how much?
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by MrSINZ: 7:22am On May 18, 2017
#OkayBye
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by damoneymag(m): 7:26am On May 18, 2017
great... can I get them for my keke?

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by dacovajnr: 7:57am On May 18, 2017
I expect even those without a bicycle to ask for the price

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by whitebeard(m): 7:57am On May 18, 2017
The beast makes use of run flat

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by SaniSANOH(m): 8:38am On May 18, 2017
dacovajnr:
I expect even those without a bicycle to ask for the price

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Kobicove(m): 8:49am On May 18, 2017
Educative post smiley
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Darkseid(m): 9:11am On May 18, 2017
My leggedis Benz get run flat tyres too. Once the sole spoil, I fit remove am finish then wear the Pam slippers (Tyre) like that dey go house.

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Stuntkid172(m): 9:14am On May 18, 2017
I saw it life and direct.

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Beejay1117(m): 9:22am On May 18, 2017
Darkseid:
My leggedis Benz get run flat tyres too. Once the sole spoil, I fit remove am finish then wear the Pam slippers (Tyre) like that dey go house.
no kill me abeg
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by okenwa101(m): 9:29am On May 18, 2017
whitebeard:
The beast makes use of run flat

Then the Demon makes use of this one!!!
technology is still at its developing stage
THE MICHELIN TWEEL

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by whitebeard(m): 9:36am On May 18, 2017
okenwa101:

Then the Demon makes use of this one!!!
technology is still at its developing stage
THE MICHELIN TWEEL
wait chill nice tech...but do u know "the beast"
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by justman911(m): 10:06am On May 18, 2017
Donnyboy:
Please guys check out the trailer of My Short film BORDER... I Shot it with a phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay2W82ii2-o&itct=CAoQpDAYASITCKbr5a2n3NMCFZ6QVQod%3D%3D&gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google

Bros. you must be a wizard. I do small time phone-graphing too but my powers lie mainly in video editing.
won't mind sending a pm to learn from a boss like you if you're okay with that. You're goo...... sorry, super good.
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Nobody: 11:18am On May 18, 2017
Donnyboy:

Go into film production, u are gd at it.
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by bigsmoke2(m): 11:36am On May 18, 2017
diportivo:
you forgot to add price grin
just know you are buying 1 tyre for the price of 2 conventional tyres grin
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by diportivo: 11:39am On May 18, 2017
bigsmoke2:

just know you are buying 1 tyre for the price of 2 conventional tyres grin

make that 1 for 4 conventional tyres

Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Sprumbaba: 1:35pm On May 18, 2017
It is very expensive. I removed it from my car when It will take close 2 Milla shocked to change 4 sets.

It does last long.

The ride is harsh and it feels like you are wearing a solider boot while regular tire feels like sneaker.
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by mrsdaniel: 11:43pm On Jul 11, 2020
Sprumbaba:
It is very expensive. I removed it from my car when It will take close 2 Milla shocked to change 4 sets.

It does last long.

The ride is harsh and it feels like you are wearing a solider boot while regular tire feels like sneaker.

You mentioned above it's quite expensive but did you trade yours off & at what price ? I have a sienna and wiith good OEM runflat tires but Al contemplating on trading them off to conventional tires ! Am I making a right choice pls
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by Sprumbaba: 10:18am On Jul 23, 2020
mrsdaniel:

You mentioned above it's quite expensive but did you trade yours off & at what price ? I have a sienna and wiith good OEM runflat tires but Al contemplating on trading them off to conventional tires ! Am I making a right choice pls

If you are in Nigeria, pls stick to the run flat tire. Forget the harsh drive, it will last you for along time. It can even save lives knowing what I know now.
Re: Run Flat Tires: How They Work by mrsdaniel: 9:59am On Jul 29, 2020
Sprumbaba:

If you are in Nigeria, pls stick to the run flat tire. Forget the harsh drive, it will last you for along time. It can even save lives knowing what I know now.

Hello, how do one forget the discomforting harsh drive since tires are quite sturdy and stiff? The wheel alignment & balancing team were also dismayed at individual weight per tires

Online reviews by most oversea users shows it wears off fast . How did it save lives as you quoted pls ?

Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria / Tips on How To Protect Your Car From Being Stolen This Christmas Period / Barn Finds/auto Restoration In Nigeria