Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,638 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court (8857 Views)

Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / 11 Reasons Why Nyesom Wike Should Not Be Sworn In - Joe Igbokwe / Governor-Elect To Be Sworn-in By His Mother-in-Law On May 29th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 13, 2010
This is how and when the revolution would start
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by honeric01(m): 3:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
Anakonda or no Anakonda, for God's sake, we need someone to call our president for the main time, can't these ducks think for once?
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by deor03(m): 3:43pm On Jan 13, 2010
Never have a "Goodluck" as your Deputy.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by nduchucks: 3:49pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

What exactly does "immediately" mean in this instance. Is it tomorrow, two days time, next week? We need to know.

"Immediately" means just that.  The question is, do we have any judge with the guts to swear in Jonathan? I suspect that the attorney general is preparing an appeal to the case as we speak.

Jonathan needs to use this new found power to get one of the appropriate parties to swear him in.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Fhemmmy: 3:50pm On Jan 13, 2010
How come i dont blv this?
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Boboribo: 3:50pm On Jan 13, 2010
Just wait until the supreme Court overturns the ruling. They may sit at 10pm tonight to overturn it. Ask soludo.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by desgiezd(m): 3:51pm On Jan 13, 2010
Here's the confusing judgement as reported by PM News:

No Vacuum In Leadership; Court Rules
January 13, 2010 14:57 (46 minutes ago), 100 views

A Federal High Court presided by Justice Dan Abutu this morning held that there is no vacuum in the presidency as the Vice President Goodluck Jonathan has been performing the duty of the president since President Yar’Adua departed to Saudi Arabia last 23 November.

The court also held that the president has the discretion to assign to the VP or any officer the authority to discharge his functions on his behalf and maintained that the VP has been lawfully discharging the duty of the president.

The court also noted that before the VP can perform as an acting president that the requirement of section 145, sub-section 1 of the 1999 Constitution must be complied with. This section provides for the written declaration to be transmitted by the president to the National Assembly.

Furthermore, the court observed that on the basis of the delegation by the president, the VP can exercise the powers of the president which he has been lawfully discharging in the interest of good governance for the nation pending the return of the president.

http://thepmnews.com/2010/01/13/no-vacuum-in-leadership-court-rules
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Fhemmmy: 3:52pm On Jan 13, 2010
Boboribo:

Just wait until the supreme Court overturns the ruling.  They may sit at 10pm tonight to overturn it. Ask soludo.

That is a good one . . .lol
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Beaf: 3:53pm On Jan 13, 2010
Chairman grin

[size=21pt]But I am still asking, [b]exactly [/b]what date is "immediately"?[/size]

Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 13, 2010
Yes itz true the News is on Thisday Website

http://www.thisdayonline.com/
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by nduchucks: 4:02pm On Jan 13, 2010
The court has told Jonathan that he is free to act as President, and the court additionally ordered that Jonathan should be sworn in immediately.

Jonathan now needs to be a man and take what is rightfully his, that is unless he is a coward like many of his kinfolks.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by otawa: 4:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
congratulations to all of my people who have been in this struggle. this is a landmark victory for democracy.

Before we all get carried away.

Goodluck will not do anything tangible rather our money will get siphoned.

Remember your first-lady-to-be was actually arrested by Nuru in 2007 with stolen $2million cash!

Now she will have access to CBN.

Good Luck to Nigeria, indeed!
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Jaybee2412(m): 4:06pm On Jan 13, 2010
Please Oga Jona no more of 7 points Agenda, just only one Agendum -[size=24pt] Power[/size]. As for the rest, we will do our best. 10,000mw during your term would be a milestone achievement.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Beaf: 4:13pm On Jan 13, 2010
ndu_chucks:

The court has told Jonathan that he is free to act as President, and the court additionally ordered that Jonathan should be sworn in immediately.

Jonathan now needs to be a man and take what is rightfully his, [size=14pt]that is unless he is a coward like many of his kinfolks[/size].

This thing is very painful to you Hausa / Fulani people. grin
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by nduchucks: 4:25pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

This thing is very painful to you Hausa / Fulani people. grin

Please expatiate on the above statement, what is painful? I'm all ears.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Beaf: 4:30pm On Jan 13, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Please expatiate on the above statement, what is painful? I'm all ears.

First of all explain how "he is a coward like many of his kinfolks".
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by nduchucks: 4:36pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

First of all explain how "he is a coward like many of his kinfolks".

Beaf, I know you are aware that I am not one of those you can dribble in an attempt to confuse.  Go and reread my statement, I never wrote that Goodluck is a coward. Additionally, cowards exists among any group of kinfolks you examine - that's a simple fact.

Now, you give us the same courtesy and tell us what is very painful to Hausa/Fulani, as you put it. 

From all indications, Jonathan has already squandered several opportunities to take the bull by the horn - its quite a pity.

From the court judgement/ruling:

Furthermore, the court observed that on the basis of the delegation by the president, the VP can exercise the powers of the president which he has been lawfully discharging in the interest of good governance for the nation pending the return of the president.

Jonathan will be my hero if he does the following:

(1)Use his authority to sack the Attorney General with immediate effect
(2)Find a judge to swear him in as acting president, and let the chips fall where they may

once again, unless he is a coward like some of his kinfolks.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Beaf: 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Beaf, I know you are aware that I am not one of those you can dribble in an attempt to confuse. Go and reread my statement, I never wrote that Goodluck is a coward. Additionally, cowards exists among any group of kinfolks you examine - that's a simple fact.

Now, you give us the same courtesy and tell us what is very painful to Hausa/Fulani, as you put it.

From all indications, Jonathan has already squandered several opportunities to take the bull by the horn - its quite a pity.

Who is trying to confuse you?
You made an incredibly racist comment which you have no shame to take back. The only way you can recognise that as not racist is if you think that the rest of Nigerians are inferior to you. So stop twisting, do you think the rest of us Nigerians are inferior to you?
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by nduchucks: 4:45pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

Who is trying to confuse you?
You made an incredibly racist comment which you have no shame to take back. The only way you can recognise that as not racist is if you think that the rest of Nigerians are inferior to you. So stop twisting, do you think the rest of us Nigerians are inferior to you?

Racist statement? That's a stretch. I, like Jonathan also have kinfolks who are cowards. Please go and read my previous post which I have since edited and respond to important points.

I may be more of a Niger Deltan that you yourself are, olodo.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Beaf: 4:49pm On Jan 13, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Racist statement? That's a stretch. I, like Jonathan also have kinfolks who are cowards. Please go and read my previous post which I have since edited and respond to important points.

I may be more of a Niger Deltan that you yourself are, olodo.

I have always said it that you think "olodo" is the same thing as fullstop.
Please answer my question (you seem to have narrowed it down to ND now), do you think Niger Delta people are inferior to you?
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by nduchucks: 4:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

I have always said it that you think "olodo" is the same thing as fullstop.
Please answer my question (you seem to have narrowed it down to ND now), do you think Niger Delta people are inferior to you?

It terms of human characteristics, I absolutely do not believe that I am superior to any human being on earth. Don't be ridiculous.  I will however admit to you that I have encountered many of ya people and my people who are intellectually inferior to me. You yourself be intellectual midget.  smiley

Back to point, in case you conveniently ignored this, let me repost it here:

From the court judgement/ruling:

Jonathan will be my hero if he does the following:

(1)Use his authority to sack the Attorney General with immediate effect
(2)Find a judge to swear him in as acting president, and let the chips fall where they may

once again, unless he is a coward like some of his kinfolks.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Beaf: 5:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
^
Talking from both sides of the mouth is duplicitous and dishonest. What you said is racist, period!
I have better things to do than argue with a racist who isn't man enough to own up.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by nduchucks: 5:10pm On Jan 13, 2010
Beaf:

^
Talking from both sides of the mouth is duplicitous and dishonest. What you said is racist, period!
I have better things to do than argue with a racist who isn't man enough to own up.

Beaf is not known to run away from superior arguments unless he has no counter point. racist ko, white supremacist ni. We are all of one race in Nigeria unless you or your ancestors are not Black. If you accuse me of tribalism, you may have a locus standi; but this ya racism accusation is irrational.

React to my criticism of Jonathan unless you are incapable of criticising him because you are one of his kinfolks.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Jaybee2412(m): 5:11pm On Jan 13, 2010
[size=24pt]It's a lie: The Abuja Judge did not declare Jonathan to be sworn in[/size]

[size=24pt]Read:[/size]

Desperate measures: Chief judge Abutu's court says no vacuum in Aso Rock, Aondoakaa undercuts Goodluck Jonathan again!

In what may be Nigeria’s most bizarre judicial charade of the season, a Federal High court in Abuja presided over by Chief Judge Dan Abutu this afternoon endorsed the current vacuum created in the country by the continued absence of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua from his post. Goaded by the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mike Aondoakaa, who was personally present in the court along with Mr. Amobi Nzelu, an Abuja based lawyer, the court declared that there is no vacuum whatsoever in the discharge of the functions of the President’s office. Contrary to at least one report, it did not declare that the Vice-President should now be sworn in.
The strategically-heard motion and hurried verdict, pundits believe, was deliberately and carefully orchestrated with the objective of scuttling the three critical related cases pending before the same judge which come up tomorrow for hearing.  They were filed by the Nigeria Bar Association, Mr. Femi Falana and Hon. Aliyu Faruk and relate to the current political vacuum created by the non transmission of the statutory letter to the National Assembly by Yar’Adua before his trip to Saudi Arabia for medical attention.

Amobi Nzelu, purporting to be acting as counsel to one Mr. Christopher Onwukwe, who is curiously a fresh graduate of the Nigerian Law School working in his chambers, approached the court to determine whether  the Vice President, under the provisions of Sections 5(1) and 148
(1) of the Nigerian Constitution, can exercise the executive powers vested in the President in the absence of the President and whether the Vice President can lawfully discharge any or all of the functions of the President in the absence of the President in the interest of peace, order and good governance of the federation pending when the President resumes and takes over.

Nzelu urged the court to declare that going by the combined provisions of those two sections, the Vice President can exercise the executive powers vested in the President in the absence of the President and that the Vice President can lawfully discharge all the functions of Mr. President in the absence of the President for the interest of the country pending when the President resumes and takes over.

In the supporting affidavit to the originating summons, the plaintiff confirmed that the President did not transmit any written declaration to the Senate President and the Speaker of the House of
Representatives and that the Federal Republic of Nigeria currently does not have a head of government. He also stated that if the declarations sought are not granted that the country will be heading for social and economic chaos and constitutional paralysis as there will be no functioning government.

The seeming altruistic posture of Mr. Amobi Nzelu ended at this point and the real intention which he sought to achieve became apparent as the Abuja lawyer ignored the counter-affidavits filed on behalf of the Attorney General by Mr. Abdullahi Yola, the Solicitor-General of the Federation.

In the counter affidavit, Aondoakaa stated that the President is not in any manner incapable of discharging the functions of his office and that the absence of the President has not affected the smooth running of the polity. He also stated that the Federal Executive Council has reviewed the health condition of the President and declared him capable of discharging the duties of his office and that there has not been any failure on the part of the President in the performance of the functions of his office to warrant the transmission of any declaration to the National Assembly.

The Attorney General also stated in the counter affidavit that there is no statutory requirement that the President must transmit a written declaration to the National Assembly whenever he is traveling out of the country.

A lawyer of Amobi’s standing certainly recognizes the need to controvert an assertion in an affidavit through the filing of a better and further affidavit but he tactically neglected to do this.  By leaving the assertions of the Attorney General to go unchallenged, he created an easy loophole for the court to make a decision that was favourable to the Attorney General.

As if on cue, the Justice Abutu held that statements not controverted are deemed to be true and declared that the Vice President had been lawfully discharging the functions of the President’s office on the strength of the delegation of the President of his duties to the Vice President.

Today’s hurried legal manoeuvres come one day after thousands of Abuja demonstrated in Abuja calling upon Yar’Adua to resign, and one day before Aondoakaa is due to return to the same court following adjournments in the three motions mentioned above.  Analysts say it is evidence in itself that there is growing panic in the options left to Yar’Adua’s kitchen cabinet, and a measure of their desperation.

http://www.saharareporters.com/
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by lordizak(m): 5:16pm On Jan 13, 2010
Right thing to do, let's hope if it happens he dosen't derail like the rest of them, God bless and help our nation.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 13, 2010
I checked through the judgement but i didnt see where it was stated that goodluck should be sworn in.can anyone please help me with the quote before i say otherwise.jonathan as president?? I doubt it,
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by ddiamond(f): 5:23pm On Jan 13, 2010
well thank God, cant see anything is like taking shape yet.
cant see any thing to look up to in this country.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Beaf: 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2010
Jaybee2412:

[size=24pt]It's a lie: The Abuja Judge did not declare Jonathan to be sworn in[/size]

[size=24pt]Read:[/size]

Desperate measures: Chief judge Abutu's court says no vacuum in Aso Rock, Aondoakaa undercuts Goodluck Jonathan again!

http://www.saharareporters.com/

This is something to watch carefully, I was a bit surprised at the way Aondoakaa welcomed the judgement (on the BBC website).
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by scottN(m): 5:28pm On Jan 13, 2010
I would have been surprised if the counter judgement neva came b4 d end of d day!
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by jtkoko9(f): 5:30pm On Jan 13, 2010
whom God has blessed no man can curse, it's time for the south to rule.
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Pharoh: 5:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
A Federal High Court in Abuja, on Wednesday, asked the Chief Justice of Nigeria to swear-in Vice President Goodluck Jonathan as acting president of Nigeria pending the return of President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua from Saudi Arabia.

The ruling followed a case instituted by a lawyer, Christopher Onwuekwe, claiming that the absence of President Yar'Adua and his failure to handover to Mr. Jonathan as acting President are indications that there is no Head of government and that the situation is capable of threatening the existence and stability of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Mr. Onwuekwe, through his counsel, Amobi Nzelu, said that since the president has not written to the National Assembly informing it that his Vice should oversee the affairs of the state pending his return, a way out of the situation would be for the court to empower Mr. Jonathan to exercise the powers of president pending Mr. Yar'Adua's return to office.

The suit by Mr. Onwuekwe is not the only one in which a court will be asked to make Mr. Jonathan acting President in the absence of Mr. Yar'Adua who is believed to be receiving medical attention in Saudi Arabia. Recently, the President of the West African Bar Association, Femi Falana, sued the Federal Government at a Federal High Court in Abuja, asking it to compel President Yar' Adua to inform the National Assembly about his hospitalisation and empower Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan to take charge of governance.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5511362-146/court_asks_chief_justice_to_swear-in.csp
Re: Jonathan To Be Sworn In As Acting President Immediately - Abuja High Court by Jaybee2412(m): 5:34pm On Jan 13, 2010
jtkoko9:

whom God has blessed no man can curse, it's time for the south to rule.

They will try every trick in the book to frustrate that reality.

'Nigeria's vice-president can perform all duties for the sick president, but is not formal head of state, a court rules' - BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8456688.stm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Brief Encounter With General Buhari / "DSS Has Proven That I'm Not Boko Haram's Sponsor" - Ali Modu Sheriff / [photos] Meet Sultan Of Brunei's Wealth, The World’s Most Lavish Spender

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.