Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? (88930 Views)

Will I Get Medicine & Surgery In EKSU With 284 As JAMB Score? / I Scored 283 in JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In Abia State University? / I Scored 300 In My JAMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Longman6(m): 11:35pm On May 18, 2017
rafo200:
I scored 260 can I get medicine and surgery in ui

Guy, i hope you get to see this, i finished from the university of Ibadan and i can say this with a high degree of accuracy: Most people in UI have average jamb scores with fantastic WAEC results, i know a lady who got into medicine with a score of 245 in Jamb but a WAEC result decorated with good grades in Physics, chemistry, Biology, Maths and English(4A's and 1B) and she got in on the merit list. while some people came with a score of 300 in Jamb didn't even make the list.

In 2010 My WAEC Result gave me 44 point out of a possible 60( 1A, 2B2 2B3) while my Jamb Score gave me 24.5 points out of a possible 40 point, to arrive at a cumulative score of 68.5 %.. Although there is some sought of variance in the method of calculation today, i bet it isnt significant.

What should you do?
- if you think your WAEC result would produce at least 4A1 and just 1B2 in the following subject: maths English Psy Bio and chem, then you probably should have no legitimate fear you would make it.

- if you think you can make a mixture of 3As and 2Bs or something similar, like 2A1 and 3Bs or 2A1 2B and 1c then i would strongly advice you go ahead and obtain a change of course form in other to change your preferred course to Dentistry based on the following reasons:
1 For last years cutoff point, Dentistry was 64.29 while Medicine was 76.5( a difference of more than 10 points)
2 There is basically no difference in Medicine and Dentistry while in school as they do the same course till their 500 level.
3 I would have suggested pharmacy but the cutoff is just as high as that of medicine,it was 70.8 last year. while the course is more entrepreneurial and lucrative than Medicine.
4 Dont fall for Nursing the cuttoff is always close to medicine around 68-69%
5 Few people apply for Dentistry, infact, it is among the least applied for" courses in the university.
6 physiotherapy is also cool but its cutt off is un predictable as it varies with demand, at some point it was as low as 57 while it was 66.9last year due to a rise in demand.
7 if you are desperate about admission then you can change to Bio-chemistry or physiology with the intention of crossing later but let me warn you: it is always difficult because many people share such ambitions which makes it extremely competitive, and Medicine might even refuse not to take you guys at all because a lot of people always come in through A levels.

Final verdict: I would suggest you pray to God and ask him to direct you on what step to take, taking into cognizance his plan for your life, while my rational mind is telling me go for Dentistry if you think you can meet the above, if you cant then i would suggest you go for a course like physiology or Bio-chem....

UI is the easiest university to get into within Nigeria

Check this links for cuttoff points(last year),http://ui.edu.ng/news/201617-admission-cut-mark

Note: Buhari might scatter things this year o so am not sure.

4 Likes

Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Longman6(m): 11:49pm On May 18, 2017
DROLA11:
what of 242 and 3A and 2B2 medicine ui

From an Human point of view, Medicine not possible but with God it is possible...

I would strongly advice you switch to dentistry if the aforementioned 3a and 2b2 where in Maths phy, chem, Bio and English.

Check this Out:http://ui.edu.ng/news/201617-admission-cut-mark
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Rapahel1116: 11:50pm On May 18, 2017
Wat is dis oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BABANGBALI:
so what did they gaved you?

Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 11:53pm On May 18, 2017
Longman6:

From an Human point of view, Medicine not possible but with God it is possible...

I would strongly advice you switch to dentistry if the aforementioned 3a and 2b2 where in Maths phy, chem, Bio and English.

Check this Out:http://ui.edu.ng/news/201617-admission-cut-mark

Don't change to dentistry just because you can't make medicine. You have to be sure that's what you want or like. They are similar in some ways but are also vastly different.

1 Like

Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by iceyneo(m): 12:03am On May 19, 2017
As an alumnus, I'll advise you switch to Physiology, a very close course to Medicine (@least 1st secure your admission which is primary and then you can move to the secondary target which is (MBBS)) and slay your first year excellently. You "may'' now cross to Medicine but you will need to pray so they will allow you. Most dept. don't like releasing their 1st class material...smiles...but people still cross. All the best brother. God be with you.

1 Like

Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 12:10am On May 19, 2017
This is my advice to all aspiring undergraduate science students.

1. Don't WASTE your valuable time studying Medicine, Dentistry, etc.

2. Study a four-year basic science course such as Physics, Chemistry, Microbiology, Computer Science or five-year engineering courses like Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering, and graduate with nothing less than 2:1. I won't even advise Mechanical, Civil etc.

For emphasis sake, get 2:1 in any of the following:
1. Mathematics
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Microbiology
5. Computer science
6. Electrical Engineering
7. Chemical Engineering

3.In your final year, write GRE, apply to US universities for postgraduate studies and get the hell out of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by micxwell(m): 12:15am On May 19, 2017
bayooooooo:

I think you need to sort out your WASSCE before applying to UI, or any school for that matter.

DON'T change your course from Medicine to any of the following:
1. Chemistry
2. Zoology
3. Microbiology

There is a high chance you won't be allowed to cross from those disciplines to College of Medicine. Once a zoologist, always a zoologist. Chemistry do allow people to cross, but it DEPENDS on the disposition of the HOD; this is also applicable to microbiology. But it is extremely rare to cross from zoology to medicine.

The following courses will allow you to cross to medicine:
Biochemistry
Physiology
Human Nutrition

Why? They are all in College of Medicine or Faculty of Basic Basic Medical Sciences, and once the provost endorses your form, I don't think any HOD can hold you back. Besides, there is a history of students crossing from those courses to Medicine.

Now, many candidates with high scores who can't get to medicine would change to Physiology or Biochemistry, which in turn makes the two disciplines competitive through change of course route. Your best bet is to change to Human nutrition and then read well in 100 level. Basically if you have a CGPA of 6.0 (First Class), you can be guaranteed of crossing but mostly a 5.5 (comfortable 2:1) is good enough to cross but there is no guarantee.

You will need the following courses to cross (4 chemistry courses, 5 physics courses and 3 zoology courses):
CHE 195 (Practical Chemistry, 2 Units)-- very easy to get an A (7.0)
CHE 177 Organic Chemistry, 3 units
CHE 157 Physical Chemistry, 4 units (legendary CHE 157)
CHE 127 Inorganic Chemistry, 3 units

PHY 112 (Basic Principles of Physics II, 3 units)
PHY 113 (Basic Principles of Physics III, 3 units)
PHY 114 (Basic Principles of Physics I, 3 units)
PHY 115 (Basic Principles of Physics IV, 3 units)
PHY 118 (Experimental Physics I, 3 Units)-- many people usually find this difficult. Each experiment is graded (each time you go to the lab is more or less taking an exam) and is based on a law of physics. So read your manual and know why the experiment is needed. You are trying to validate a constant/or a principle, by plotting data generated during the lab work. You can always tell if your slope or constant is way off if you have a sound knowledge of the experimental principle

ZOO 111 (Principles of Animal Biology, 3 units)--more or less a glorified biology. You have to take it seriously if Chiaka is one of the lecturers.
ZOO 112 (The Mammalian Body, 3 units)
ZOO 113 (Diversity of Animal Life, 3 units)--this is a second semester course, and is by far the toughest of the three. It requires a lot of reading, drawing and cramming. It has a practical component too. Different animal kingdoms etc.

You will also take other courses like the GES (general studies 101, 102, 103 or 105), bio-statistics etc but your chances of 'crossing' to medicine rest squarely on the 12 courses. i.e. those 12 courses, not the overall CPGA, are evaluated for change of course purposes. If you intend to change to pharmacy, you would need to register for some botany courses.

Generally, the easiest route to UI medicine is to put any of the three courses especially Human Nutrition as first choice, and then apply to change to medicine after 100 level.
Rafo200....... Above is the answer you are looking for. Confirmed

1 Like

Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by micxwell(m): 12:17am On May 19, 2017
bayooooooo:
This is my advice to all aspiring undergraduate science students.

1. Don't WASTE your valuable time studying Medicine, Dentistry, etc.

2. Study a four-year basic science course such as Physics, Chemistry, Microbiology, Computer Science or five-year engineering courses like Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering, and graduate with nothing less than 2:1. I won't even advise Mechanical, Civil etc.
For emphasis sake, get 2:1 in any of the following:
1. Mathematics
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Microbiology
5. Computer science
6. Electrical Engineering
7. Chemical Engineering

3.In your final year, write GRE, apply to US universities for postgraduate studies and get the hell out of Nigeria.

Why won't you advice Mech/Civil cheesy
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by zubbyezinne: 12:19am On May 19, 2017
pls oo,wat abt 206 for nursing...uniben
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Drpaulse(m): 12:20am On May 19, 2017
rafo200:
what abt me that score 260
hope you didn't cheat. That English is for primary and nursery school pupils
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by ModusOperandi(f): 1:48am On May 19, 2017
zubbyezinne:

change your course o.
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 1:49am On May 19, 2017
Wat about me,my result not yet out but I have
2As,2BS n 1 C
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Mbediogu(m): 1:51am On May 19, 2017
rafo200:
[quote tnk u bro......I am thinking may b I should change course
Don't change. Medicine is it. Not how fast but how far.
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by 1miccza: 2:11am On May 19, 2017
rafo200:

There are schools other than u.i that would give you medicine with that score as long as your waec is good. Check your brochure.
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Alltek(m): 2:17am On May 19, 2017
Nice job bro... I'm not sure about medicine at UI, but I'm damn sure about half Congo of GARRI in Ibadan...

Over and out....
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by solexybadoo: 2:28am On May 19, 2017
wonlasewonimi:
Unless you want to do traditional medicine and be transformed to a very good herbalist called Dr Egbegi.
hahaha grin
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 4:46am On May 19, 2017
Change to computer science. Become a programmer. Tech is the future. Thank me later.
https://medium.com/benjamin-dada/i-am-not-a-geek-but-i-need-a-job-too-74986cdb78e0#.ufbxfq2oj
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Vicjay1(m): 5:13am On May 19, 2017
My advice is that u try out other schools (preferably state schs that offer MBBS) out if actually u want medicine. Otherwise change ur course and also try again next year.
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Chyma1(m): 5:48am On May 19, 2017
You can as well continue with your med/surg. But if u feel like changing course then Phamacy or any basic medical science courses like med. Lab., anotomy, radiography. Etc will be okay. I have one advice for u; settle for nothing less than a professional course
rafo200:
pls..what course can I change to ??
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 6:00am On May 19, 2017
rafo200:
should I change course b4 it is too late??
hw good was your SSCE? Where there up to 5 A's. That's your last hope now.
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by mystmoze(m): 6:00am On May 19, 2017
rafo200:
awaiting result
mtcheeeeew why is it dat Nigerians don't obey simple instructions..... jamb already threw ur kind away.... no space for awaiting result candidates.... boldly written on it website
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 6:04am On May 19, 2017
zubbyezinne:

nah... Won't advise that. Uniben is too competitive for that score. Except your SSCE is extra good. I swear, this new method is tougher.
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 6:07am On May 19, 2017
mystmoze:

mtcheeeeew why is it dat Nigerians don't obey simple instructions..... jamb already threw ur kind away.... no space for awaiting result candidates.... boldly written on it website
please don't mislead any one. Awaiting result is allowed. What matters is that, the result must be uploaded by August. So those who wrote WAEC 2017 only are safe
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 6:07am On May 19, 2017
mystmoze:

please don't mislead any one. Awaiting result is allowed. What matters is that, the result must be uploaded by August. So those who wrote WAEC are safe
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by timay(m): 6:13am On May 19, 2017
bayooooooo:

Don't waste your time, you won't get to UI with 194.

ui won't even give him any course, cos 200 is d general cut off b4 u can be considered for admission
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Modesky: 6:21am On May 19, 2017
taiwofawole:

my brother , run for ya life , I would advise u to change , UI does not tolerate nonsense u , do not meet screening cut off , no admission . Medicine is very high . Based on last year screening , Your UTME Grade is 32.5 at least u need more 45 grade to study medicine . IS ur o level up to that .
With the rate at which pple pass this year , i keep my comment
#Commonsense
Heaven help those who help themselves.
Simple advise, Take it or leave it

den wat if he has five distinctions.....den it would be 32.5 +waec point........so i think there is still hope for him
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Donnyboy(m): 6:30am On May 19, 2017
Please guys check out the trailer of My Short film BORDER... I Shot it with a phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay2W82ii2-o&itct=CAoQpDAYASITCKbr5a2n3NMCFZ6QVQod%3D%3D&gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google

Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by RichardoTobinho: 6:36am On May 19, 2017
you can get herbal medicine and become a native doctor..
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 6:44am On May 19, 2017
wonlasewonimi:
Unless you want to do traditional medicine and be transformed to a very good herbalist called Dr Egbegi.

Have any of your family members scored up to 260 before
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by Nobody: 6:50am On May 19, 2017
Dont bother, buy that coc form or work to get >270 next year. Why are u people picking UI when there are other schools around like UNILAG AND LASUTH, now those schools especially unilag, dont really need to look at JAMB OR WAEC RESULT, just score high in post utme and score above their cut off marks and you good, dont try dentistry in lag though, try it in lasuth instead
rafo200:
Re: I Scored 260 In JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In University Of Ibadan? by bigsmoke2(m): 6:51am On May 19, 2017
school like ibadan are too competitive for medicine . the best of the best apply there. those schools can kill your dream of becomig a doctor. I tried ibadan in 06 with 256 dint get in , tried unilag 07 with 218 dint get in. Tried lasu in 08 with 200,yes 200 and I got in. today am a doctor. Dont let school like Ui kill your dream .do know how many UI applicants that will fall btw 260 and 270 . Just pray but your chance are slim .if you want to study medicine and don't score up to 270 don't apply to schools like UI unless you have connections

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Esut: Post Ume Result Check And Admission, URGENT PLEASE !!! / Best of Drone Shots UNILAG (Day & Night Photos) / UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.