Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,780 members, 7,831,514 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA (37570 Views)

Prof B. L. Adeleke(08071878926): Meet the Prof that Won't let you Graduate / 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA / 5 Things You Should Know Before You Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Infinitikoncept(m): 2:59pm On May 19, 2017
Looking back at my graduating set I can boldly say those who got good jobs early enough were the 3rd class & reason was cox dey had to shove off certificate and show themselves as someone who will deliver their full best whereas the first class out of five in a department of 46 graduate only one was retained as a graduate assistant today she has completed her Msc & now a lecturer. Three had to go for Msc when no job was forth coming, they are all through for more than two years and now they just hit the street doing what the 3rd class did earlier. Only the youngest amongst them went back for medicine after Nysc. The second class lowers are all doing great in their endeavors as well because they had to accept the fact that they got no good grades so they expect nothing like luck to shine on them.
OP your post na lie

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 19, 2017
lawrykings:

the education for Nigeria here na scam and crap if you be average Nigerian, it is only rewarding for the rich child if you ask me.

the way no too sure to hammer for the average/poor kid, the chances of him being a good Return On Investment is very very low, pathetic enough these jambite never know, plenty of them they rush enter thinking na the only sure way to success, anyways I no really blame them, orientation from parents de poor, a lot of the average Nigerian parents if not all sees and are seeing school as the only sure way to success in life. we need to get this mentality off, it won't do the average family good.

As an average Nigerian wey comot from family wey na hunger be their second name, giving 100% to school and relegating skills which you can acquire, thereby thinking you're on the good run, bro na sorry be your name, you're on a long run. unless God come to your rescue.

my advice to any jambite from the average home reading my post, school is good it will build you, help you discover your strength and weakness, help you useful to yourself but don't give your 100% to it as you go, learn to attach a skill as you study, do them both, for this is the only sure way for the average Nigerian child to succeed in life.

I agree with you, i always wish i had the opportunity to learn a trade or handwork before going to university.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Fongido(m): 3:10pm On May 19, 2017
fergusen:
I've seen many reasons adduced by several individuals why grades do not matter or are less important in determining future successes. I do think the influence of grades has been understated.

No doubt, grades can be a poor way to determine someone's success or better still, measure an individual's self-worth.

Your success in life or otherwise may not be determined by how excellent your grades are. It probably isn't going to make you successful or unsuccessful.

However, grades are an instant image of you at any point in time. Grades are the foremost tools schools use to measure it's students abilities. This means it will give a huge initial judgement about you, which transcends beyond the academic environment.
If you think grades don't matter, ask that friend who missed that fully paid scholarship by graduating with a third class.
Grades matter if you desire to get that competitive job where employers look at CGPA.
As a fresh graduate, grades will matter until you get something more compelling to sell yourself.
If you desire career progression in the academics, bad grades will ground you.

It is a fact that majority of people with low grades are usually defaulters when it comes to self-discipline, hard work, diligence, and planning skill, to mention but a few. All of these failings might act in limiting the success of these individuals (with poor grades) after graduation.

Good grades give you a head start, and an added advantage going forward. The world is moving at a fast pace, too busy in most cases to give you an opportunity to disprove your poor grades. Therefore they go by the numbers (grades) in assessing you. You probably won't get a chance to prove your competence.

And yes, Not everyone will be an entrepreneur or succeed as one. Not everyone will have giraffe legs (know somebody that knows somebody in that establishment). Not everyone will/can work in the Nigerian civil service (where anything goes).

Haven stated that, here are 5 things that happen when you graduate with a low grade:

1. You close important doors: some doors when closed can never be opened again. How sad! Whatever opportunities, big or small, there are outside that door eludes you forever.
If you settled for less and got low grades due to laziness and nonchalant attitude towards book work, you effectively closed all doors requiring higher grades!
A graduate with a pass or a third class automatically rules him/herself out of certain job opportunities! I need not mention these jobs, you know them.

2. Fewer choices: this is similar to the above. You end up with less choice if you graduate with a poor CGPA. why? Windows are smaller than doors!
Less career advancement options, less job option, and less pay. You'll have to settle for less.

3. Vices will appeal to you: I mean no disrespect to those with poor grades. However, social vices such as gambling, drunkenness, and others I choose not to mention will appeal to you. Anything just to dampen the disappointment of wasted years. However, it all ends in more disappointment for those not willing to get it right the right way.

4. Battered esteem: poor grades will batter your esteem. You will always avoid public discussions that will warrant a mention or display of your grade status either by you or others. Can you comfortably put your pass degree qualification on a CV? Never!
Deflated ego, inferiority, and other similar words will describe your situation.
Only a few (mentally strong) will refuse to be downcast and laid-back by letting grades get in their way to achieving success. The greater majority wallows in regret for years.

5. Delays in career progression: if you graduate with a third class, you'll need a PGD to move forward. If it's a pass, you're probably stuck/grounded. In the academics, grades are prioritised, and it'll remain so for a long time.

It is, therefore important that you begin to answer questions such as where you desire to be in the next five years, what steps to take to get there and what doors you need to go through. The earlier these questions are answered, the more doors you'll have access to, and go through.

To make it big, you either have to be the best at what you are doing (non academic activity) or follow the conventional easier path - good grades.

Choose the doors to open and don't let life choose for you because it might be a far cry from that which you desired.

Grades do matter a lot.

Copyright NAIJA CGPA

If your ND was not good enough and your HND is good would you be affected bcoz of your poor ND cert
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by lawrykings(m): 3:17pm On May 19, 2017
fuckerstard:

I agree with you, i always wish i had the opportunity to learn a trade or handwork before going to university.
I was wondering if there's a time frame in developing oneself. go out there bro, do something! Colonel Sanders (KFC) @age 88, became a multibillionaire from cooking. lemme believe you're over 100. lol

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 19, 2017
fergusen:
I've seen many reasons adduced by several individuals why grades do not matter or are less important in determining future successes. I do think the influence of grades has been understated.

No doubt, grades can be a poor way to determine someone's success or better still, measure an individual's self-worth.

Your success in life or otherwise may not be determined by how excellent your grades are. It probably isn't going to make you successful or unsuccessful.

However, grades are an instant image of you at any point in time. Grades are the foremost tools schools use to measure it's students abilities. This means it will give a huge initial judgement about you, which transcends beyond the academic environment.
If you think grades don't matter, ask that friend who missed that fully paid scholarship by graduating with a third class.
Grades matter if you desire to get that competitive job where employers look at CGPA.
As a fresh graduate, grades will matter until you get something more compelling to sell yourself.
If you desire career progression in the academics, bad grades will ground you.

It is a fact that majority of people with low grades are usually defaulters when it comes to self-discipline, hard work, diligence, and planning skill, to mention but a few. All of these failings might act in limiting the success of these individuals (with poor grades) after graduation.

Good grades give you a head start, and an added advantage going forward. The world is moving at a fast pace, too busy in most cases to give you an opportunity to disprove your poor grades. Therefore they go by the numbers (grades) in assessing you. You probably won't get a chance to prove your competence.

And yes, Not everyone will be an entrepreneur or succeed as one. Not everyone will have giraffe legs (know somebody that knows somebody in that establishment). Not everyone will/can work in the Nigerian civil service (where anything goes).

Haven stated that, here are 5 things that happen when you graduate with a low grade:

1. You close important doors: some doors when closed can never be opened again. How sad! Whatever opportunities, big or small, there are outside that door eludes you forever.
If you settled for less and got low grades due to laziness and nonchalant attitude towards book work, you effectively closed all doors requiring higher grades!
A graduate with a pass or a third class automatically rules him/herself out of certain job opportunities! I need not mention these jobs, you know them.

2. Fewer choices: this is similar to the above. You end up with less choice if you graduate with a poor CGPA. why? Windows are smaller than doors!
Less career advancement options, less job option, and less pay. You'll have to settle for less.

3. Vices will appeal to you: I mean no disrespect to those with poor grades. However, social vices such as gambling, drunkenness, and others I choose not to mention will appeal to you. Anything just to dampen the disappointment of wasted years. However, it all ends in more disappointment for those not willing to get it right the right way.

4. Battered esteem: poor grades will batter your esteem. You will always avoid public discussions that will warrant a mention or display of your grade status either by you or others. Can you comfortably put your pass degree qualification on a CV? Never!
Deflated ego, inferiority, and other similar words will describe your situation.
Only a few (mentally strong) will refuse to be downcast and laid-back by letting grades get in their way to achieving success. The greater majority wallows in regret for years.

5. Delays in career progression: if you graduate with a third class, you'll need a PGD to move forward. If it's a pass, you're probably stuck/grounded. In the academics, grades are prioritised, and it'll remain so for a long time.

It is, therefore important that you begin to answer questions such as where you desire to be in the next five years, what steps to take to get there and what doors you need to go through. The earlier these questions are answered, the more doors you'll have access to, and go through.

To make it big, you either have to be the best at what you are doing (non academic activity) or follow the conventional easier path - good grades.

Choose the doors to open and don't let life choose for you because it might be a far cry from that which you desired.

Grades do matter a lot.

Copyright NAIJA CGPA

6. You go headlong into nigerian politics and become a governor, senator even possibly a predident of the federal republic and have the first class flocking around you for change
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by pweetiedee(m): 3:31pm On May 19, 2017
LastMumu:

It's good to know you didn't throw in the towel, grades (good or bad) to a certain extent does not decide how our future will play out. Successful people don't give in to failure, they take their life by the scruff and look for alternative solutions to succeed.

BTW, I'm surprised you took my post serious. Can't you see my name? grin

Lol...last mumu. Thought its frustration that made u give itself that name.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by pweetiedee(m): 3:31pm On May 19, 2017
LastMumu:

It's good to know you didn't throw in the towel, grades (good or bad) to a certain extent does not decide how our future will play out. Successful people don't give in to failure, they take their life by the scruff and look for alternative solutions to succeed.

Lol...last mumu. Thought its frustration that made u give urself that name.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Martinez19(m): 3:31pm On May 19, 2017
nickxtra:
The Nigerian perspective. If am lying, ask Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, the Chinese and even our own, Dangote
Most Nigerians with poor grades from a Nigerian University are pathetic in their field of study(knowledge wise). Bill Gates and Zuckerberg were brilliant and educated prodigies who no longer needed school. School did not reject them. Can someone achieve what Gates and Zuckerberg has achieved without some form of education and brilliance?
Did our third class and pass graduate think of start something like those men? No! I know most are not sure of where they want to be in future. Bill Gates gave himself a time limit to be a rich man and he got it before that time limit. That shows you that Gates has been planning his future. If you want to drop out of school, have a sure plan and apt erudition not that you will be looking for jobs where they require first class and 2:1.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by maasoap(m): 3:47pm On May 19, 2017
mmmustapha:
rubbish write up, I'm a third class holder and I don't have any regret about that and I'm a fighter, I believe in myself. having poor grade doesn't mean that you are lazy. In just believe in yourself. I'm currently studying pg crime management after that I will do my masters on MCJS
This means you didn't read the writeup through.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Demmzy15(m): 3:49pm On May 19, 2017
LastMumu:
Op is right. I had a CGPA of 1.61 in school five years ago and up till now I haven't been able to land a job. ¬The cleaner job I was managing last year, the day my manager overheard me telling a colleague about my CGPA, he sacked me immediately. angry
Sorry mehn cry

@underlined, grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by maasoap(m): 3:52pm On May 19, 2017
Infinitikoncept:
Looking back at my graduating set I can boldly say those who got good jobs early enough were the 3rd class & reason was cox dey had to shove off certificate and show themselves as someone who will deliver their full best whereas the first class out of five in a department of 46 graduate only one was retained as a graduate assistant today she has completed her Msc & now a lecturer. Three had to go for Msc when no job was forth coming, they are all through for more than two years and now they just hit the street doing what the 3rd class did earlier. Only the youngest amongst them went back for medicine after Nysc. The second class lowers are all doing great in their endeavors as well because they had to accept the fact that they got no good grades so they expect nothing like luck to shine on them.
OP your post na lie
All what you wrote here corroborated what OP said except where you said ALL.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by UnimkeAk(m): 3:52pm On May 19, 2017
Caramelemperor:
Lol...what a lie! It's only in Nigeria that I see people worship grades like they're gods. Good grades are good, but they don't guarantee you shiit in life. Nigeria is exactly as messed up as it is now cos we believe good grades are everything. It's this same reason that graduates idle around everywhere feeling too good to do certain jobs yet they scream unemployment. Lol.

On the other hand I see many Nigerians believing that because you graduated with good grades, then you are entitled to be automatically employed or entitled to become a leader....BVLLSHIT!

For me, I think the most important thing anyone who finished school with low grades or bad results should know is that contrary to what most Nigerians say or believe and even contrary to how the Nigerian work environment makes us all believe, what you know & what you can do is more important than what you graduated with.

This world is about getting results....even if you're a stark illiterate and you can produce the results that a company, corporation organization or even the world needs, you're better off than an entitled graduate who has a good result from school but can't produce real-time real life value.

Personally, the way I think, I never really bother much about people's results...I am usually more concerned with how much creativity and productivity they have to offer.
Only in nigeria, my friend where and where have u been to?
Everywhere in the world having a good grade gives u the opportunity to sell urself.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by UnimkeAk(m): 3:53pm On May 19, 2017
Martinez19:
Most Nigerians with poor grades from a Nigerian University are pathetic in their field of study(knowledge wise). Bill Gates and Zuckerberg were brilliant and educated prodigies who no longer needed school. School did not reject them. Can someone achieve what Gates and Zuckerberg has achieved without some form of education and brilliance?
Did our third class and pass graduate think of start something like those men? No! I know most are not sure of where they want to be in future. Bill Gates gave himself a time limit to be a rich man and he got it before that time limit. That shows you that Gates has been planning his future. If you want to drop out of school, have a sure plan and apt erudition not that you will be looking for jobs where they require first class and 2:1.
Thank you ... Uve said it all

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Mac2016(m): 4:00pm On May 19, 2017
Obi1kenobi:
I was a lazy truant in school and I graduated with a 2:2. I know it has been an obstacle throughout my career and limited my opportunities. You have no chance of working in any prestigious multinational without a 2:1 at minimum. Don't let anyone deceive you. Grades matter.
Chief, grade matters but not much. dont stay in a place ...add values to yourself especially professional values (certifications)
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by taurustm(m): 4:08pm On May 19, 2017
Do anything you desires doing and be the best at it. If it is to academics, fine and if not, it is also good.
Just do your best and leave the rest.
It'd be rueful eventually if you fail to bring something good at what you're good at.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Caramelemperor: 4:21pm On May 19, 2017
UnimkeAk:

Only in nigeria, my friend where and where have u been to?
Everywhere in the world having a good grade gives u the opportunity to sell urself.
Believe what you believe....I would only give you a chance to be heard cos you have good grades but I would definitely be looking for what values you can add to my corporation. Your good grades mean a lot to you but they don't mean shiit to me or my corporation. What matters to my corporation is growth and that means I need people who can add real-time pragmatic value and not some contest about who had the best results. Don't get me wrong, like I clearly stated in my first post, "Good grades are good" and I encourage everyone to strive to get good grades but I'm speaking for myself when I say if I'm going to employ or work with you, "your good grades don't mean shiit to me (they are yours and yours to keep), what I want is value and results. If you can bring those for me, I'd consider you an asset...regardless of whether you graduated with a pass or first class."
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Aremuagan144(m): 4:43pm On May 19, 2017
good grade is good,bt in nigeria it means nothing i finished my ND with upper credit apply 4 my HND @ kwarapoly bt was given pt while those with pass was admitted into full time i regret attending polytechnics?
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by ipodstinks: 5:07pm On May 19, 2017
mmmustapha:
my brother don't be hopeless, just show people around you that you can do better than them, do a professional pg, get involve in any profit biz and don't allow yourself to be hunt by your poor grade
You are very correct, my brother graduated from polytechnic with lower credit. But I can tell you, he had worked with big companies like Atlantic marine, aveon, eleganza , Siemens a German company. Aveon is also a foreign company. He has many professional courses, he's a welding inspector now, he went to India for the exam, he's quality control and assurance manager. He own his own company called jescon now. So it is not by grade.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by swav: 5:17pm On May 19, 2017
I am in my final year now in university still in 2.2 and no hope of climbing up, everyday I use to be very hard on my self bcus I meant to believe that outside there if not 1st class or 2.1 forget it like right now I fell very worthless.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by nkemjacob2(m): 5:20pm On May 19, 2017
Is not working again in Nigeria. Tins have changed
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Orpe7(m): 5:25pm On May 19, 2017
Story for the gods. Na wan make dem happen gp happen too. U determine ur life bro. Have seen lower gp end up legit millionaires while first class and 2:1 beg them to come save their money in their bank
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Sainttops(m): 6:10pm On May 19, 2017
I lives in Sokoto and know several people that never attend school but are controlling big, I mean large amount of money. You won't like to see how bank managers due beg them for saving, many companies seeking their endorsement and the worst is that they have to rubbish probably 1st class, 2.1, 2.2 and even 3rd class graduates before considering or granting their request. Abu Dan Kure never attended class likewise Jelani Mabera but google about their success life. You will be marvel.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by fergusen: 6:12pm On May 19, 2017
swav:
I am in my final year now in university still in 2.2 and no hope of climbing up, everyday I use to be very hard on my self bcus I meant to believe that outside there if not 1st class or 2.1 forget it like right now I fell very worthless.
Don't be too hard on yourself bro. Look inwards... There are other things you can be great at. Learn a skill. Broaden your network. Develop yourself all-round. Be upbeat about life. Get certifications. Relaunch yourself. Then, your new found skills will sell you.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by trueinfo: 6:31pm On May 19, 2017
Dottore:
Well the truth is that most first class, second class upper, Distinction, UpperCredit graduates end up being employed by illiterates, third class and pass holders.

I know many instances where the establishments of the so called illiterates engage the services of HR Consultancy firms to recruit for them. The HR firms even conduct aptitude test for the applicants. Chai

Which one of them did you graduate with: a pass, third class, half-education, or you no go at all?
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Uzee24: 6:36pm On May 19, 2017
Dottore:
Well the truth is that most first class, second class upper, Distinction, UpperCredit graduates end up being employed by illiterates, third class and pass holders.

I know many instances where the establishments of the so called illiterates engage the services of HR Consultancy firms to recruit for them. The HR firms even conduct aptitude test for the applicants. Chai

If I may ask, why didnt the illiterate go ahead to employ fellow illiterates to work for him, since illiterates can do better?
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by oyewale0001(m): 7:21pm On May 19, 2017
with we dat came out with third class & with those dat came out with 1st class, we will all die & leave everything on earth one day. i am pride with my third class because i wil stil do more beta in d future.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Rick9(m): 7:35pm On May 19, 2017
Useless and foolish thread, O.P should delete this post ASAP, it lacks merit. Grades what the hell is grade. The problems with some of you is that your perspective so narrow, tryband broaden your scope and view life from different angles.
#Philosoohy Rules
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Dottore: 7:37pm On May 19, 2017
trueinfo:

Which one of them did you graduate with: a pass, third class, half-education, or you no go at all?

Well it has nothing to do with me. I no go at all if that's what u want to hear. By the way I commented based on glaring facts: most NASS members are 3rd class and pass holders same as state legislators yet na dem dey enjoy the country's largesse
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Rick9(m): 7:38pm On May 19, 2017
Grades aside, if you want to know how intelligent someone is, engage them in a discussion, we see it every day in school some cheat to pass, some cram to pass, but only a few represent and uphold the Philosophic Spirit and those are the #RealHeroesOfAcademics.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Rick9(m): 7:40pm On May 19, 2017
Caramelemperor:
Lol...what a lie! It's only in Nigeria that I see people worship grades like they're gods. Good grades are good, but they don't guarantee you shiit in life. Nigeria is exactly as messed up as it is now cos we believe good grades are everything. It's this same reason that graduates idle around everywhere feeling too good to do certain jobs yet they scream unemployment. Lol.

On the other hand I see many Nigerians believing that because you graduated with good grades, then you are entitled to be automatically employed or entitled to become a leader....BVLLSHIT!

For me, I think the most important thing anyone who finished school with low grades or bad results should know is that contrary to what most Nigerians say or believe and even contrary to how the Nigerian work environment makes us all believe, what you know & what you can do is more important than what you graduated with.

This world is about getting results....even if you're a stark illiterate and you can produce the results that a company, corporation organization or even the world needs, you're better off than an entitled graduate who has a good result from school but can't produce real-time real life value.

Personally, the way I think, I never really bother much about people's results...I am usually more concerned with how much creativity and productivity they have to offer.

God bless you
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by davide470(m): 7:58pm On May 19, 2017
LastMumu:

cheesy cheesy

See the advise she dey give you.. You no serious at all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The House Wole Soyinka Lived At The OAU Campus Turned To Museum (Photos) / LASU Computer Science Department Poor Results (Screenshots) / Universities Awarding Degrees In Less Than 6 Months, PhD Below 1 Year - NUC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.