Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student (38444 Views)

LAUTECH: Nigeria Best State University in Pictures / Faith Onyekachukwu Ojumah, McPherson University Best Graduating Student (Photo) / Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 19, 2017
When she was in Primary Six, two visitors came calling at Immaculata Onuigbo’s school in Enugu. They were from the Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Foundation, Abuja.

“My school was one of the schools they came to and I was lucky to have been chosen for the exams,” Ms. Onuigbo recalled.

“So, I went for the exams, the first one was a written exam, the second one was an oral interview. I was lucky to emerge as one of the winners of the scholarship from my state. That was how I won my first scholarship to secondary school.”

It was a visit that set in motion Ms. Onuigbo’s journey of emerging the best graduating student at the American University of Nigeria, Yola – with the highest ever Cumulative Grade Point Average score in the school’s history.

After her secondary school, she had gotten another scholarship into the university.

On Friday night, she bagged six awards including the Afrinvest (West Africa) Award for Academic Excellence that includes a paid internship at any of the company’s subsidiaries.

But the valedictorian’s journey to the zenith of academic excellence did not come without challenges.

She recalls the days in secondary school when she’d be left in tears while watching the retreating back of her parents, in Abuja, back to Enugu, while she continued on her way back to Yola.

“The first challenge was language barrier,” she said.

“Prior to coming here, it was only English and Igbo that I normally hear, but I came here and almost everyone was speaking Hausa, so I heard to adapt to hearing people speak Hausa, and I eventually learnt how to speak Hausa.

“Another thing was the journey; the road trip was always very stressful but then it was always worth it coming back to school.

“For academic challenges… I had great teachers in my secondary school. Whenever I needed help, I always asked for one and they were always willing to help, so it made it very easy to excel academically. I didn’t have much problem academically.”

The American University of Nigeria was established in 2003 by former vice president Atiku Abubakar as Africa’s first ‘development university.’

The student membership cuts across several African countries, including Uganda, Cameroon, and South Africa.

The university is home to several students’ associations such as the American University of Nigeria Honors Society, an association of distinguished and exemplary students created to foster academic and ethical excellence.

“Being a member (of the Honors Society), the minimum CGPA to be a member is 3.5. So, if you want to maintain your membership, you have to work hard to at least be above that 3.5. So, it helped me to keep my grades in check,” Ms. Onuigbo said.

“Also, the scholarship programme that we do, we organize jazz nights, we sell tickets and then the money we get from the ticket sales we use it go give scholarships to primary school children. So, it really helped me build my community service skills. I served as secretary.”

Ms. Onuigbo says she also participated in the school’s Feed and Read programme, a project designed to teach basic literacy and numeracy to Almajiri boys but later expanded to include children orphaned by the Boko Haram insurgency.

“We go there and teach the children how to read and how to count,” she said.

On what she did differently to achieve her academic prowess, Ms. Onuigbo said she chose a course that she enjoyed.

“I would say that I was lucky to have chosen something that I enjoy doing.

“Because you know, one thing is that no matter what studying is actually hard. What makes it easier is if you are enjoying, then you feel the pain less. So, I enjoyed what I read, and I love learning, learning new things. Every day I learn a new thing. That was what helped me.”

Her days in the university were, however, not focused on only academic activities.

Her classmates said she was “really good” at football, and was always the first to report to the pitch at 4 p.m.

“One major part of my life in campus is sports, I play volleyball and soccer,” Ms. Onuigbo said.

“I believe that it’s good to keep both the intellectual part of you and the physical part of you intact. Sports always helped me to relieve stress, so that’s one of the best part of AUN. I use it to balance my academic life. My spiritual life, I’m a Catholic, I’m in the choir. Whenever I sing, I enjoy it. It makes me feel really good.”

The AUN uses the American grading system where 4.0 is the highest possible Cumulative Grade Points Average (CGPA). To finish Summa Cum Laude (the equivalent of the Nigerian First Class: 4.50 – 5.00), a student has to score between 3.9 and 4.0.

Ms. Onuigbo scored 3.98.

She said her ambition is to be a university professor.

“For a while, I wasn’t really sure of what I wanted to do after university but like I said before, Honours Society helps students that are academically challenged and all.

“I participated in the tutorial services and actually came to see that while I teach people, I actually learn more. It gives me a special kind of happiness when I know that someone knows something because I actually helped that person. I think that was when I started thinking of venturing into the education world.

“I also have wonderful professors. The female ones, they are really worth looking up to. I admire them and I think it’s something I can actually do and would love doing. I know the work is an everyday thing and you may tend to get tired of it, but because I will be learning every day by doing that, I think I will be okay being a professor at a university.”

On Friday night, Ms. Onuigbo’s parents watched quietly, inside the university’s expansive Commencement Hall, as their daughter was called up-stage a record six times for an award, each award coming with a prize money.

“I am overwhelmed because I (didn’t) expect such miracles, but everything is from God,” said Christopher Onuigbo, an Enugu-based engineer.

“I thank God, I also thank the Yar’Adua Centre because without the Yar’Adua Centre, I don’t know whether such good will come across to me or reach me. The Foundation is the pillar of this little girl.”

Her mother, Victoria, described Ms. Onuigbo as “just naturally gifted.”

“Because as from Primary Four, she used to write letters. If I am out now, she wants to tell me something, she will put it in writing, when I read it, I’ll just laugh and say ‘this girl has sharp brain,'” said Mrs. Onuigbo, a nurse.

“They are three boys and three girls, God has blessed us and crowned us with this Onyinyechukwu,” she turned and pointed to her daughter, “She goes with her name, ‘Gift from God’.”

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.premiumtimesng.com/news/231177-how-i-emerged-aun-best-graduating-student-graduate.html/amp

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 19, 2017
Our Easterners right now!!!

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by firstclassmumu: 8:12pm On May 19, 2017
Iffa hear

STC
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by feran15(m): 8:24pm On May 19, 2017
Who gpa don help?
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by ladyF(f): 9:20pm On May 19, 2017
Good for her. NLProblemChild can take a cue from this hopefully grin

Anyway, contact me for your CNY payments.

It's LadyF again grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by KnowMore: 9:21pm On May 19, 2017
Oka

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by BoosBae(f): 9:21pm On May 19, 2017
Congratulations madam
Na bank account sure pass now wink

12 Likes

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 19, 2017
A pretty girl with brain.
My kindda women smiley

9 Likes

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Teewhy2: 9:21pm On May 19, 2017
Okay
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by ifex370(m): 9:21pm On May 19, 2017
See atiku
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by ednut1(m): 9:21pm On May 19, 2017
Nice one. D hater go soon arrive. Asif na d gal say mk una get sadist lecturers for una uni

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by obainojazz(m): 9:21pm On May 19, 2017
Wow...... Igbo amaka..
congrats to her.

she is greater than awolowo and tinubu

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Phi001(m): 9:22pm On May 19, 2017
Why didn't people coman see me in Abule Egba sef?

By now, I'd have been the best graduating student. Now, I'm stuck with UNIPORT and 2.1...

3 Likes

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by lockupnop: 9:26pm On May 19, 2017
kiss Good news from our sister from Isreal i side Nigeria + beside we hope after this u don't go about sharing b00bz upandan the street without placing a viewers discretion notice board on ur bra in the na.e of protest . Congrats NNE tongue
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by takenadoh: 9:27pm On May 19, 2017
NCAN Easterner chapter over to u

10 Likes

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Activity5050: 9:27pm On May 19, 2017
Isorite....
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by noziz(m): 9:27pm On May 19, 2017
must female best graduating students be ugly!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by tayo200(m): 9:28pm On May 19, 2017
wehdon ma
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by bewacharlie(m): 9:28pm On May 19, 2017
[quote author=PapiSmith post=56688361] [color=#000099][i][b][font=serif][size=10pt]A pretty girl with brain. My kindda women smiley wat Is dis one saying again?
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by lfleak: 9:30pm On May 19, 2017
something for the flatinoes to chill on after a terrible start to the weekend! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by SamzackD(m): 9:30pm On May 19, 2017
nice one

And then someone just told me that buhari is the legend of the SICKER
its not my handwriting ooo!

2 Likes

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Cornerstone2020(m): 9:32pm On May 19, 2017
Nice one . Meanwhile Rashida her age mate is somewhere in Ogbomosho with three children already.
Igbo Amaka

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by sheylord(m): 9:32pm On May 19, 2017
Good for her
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by oshe11: 9:32pm On May 19, 2017
Wats her name
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by deparagon(m): 9:33pm On May 19, 2017
Quite Inspiring.

3 Likes

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Built2last: 9:33pm On May 19, 2017
COPIED

A very interesting and valid piece by Chijioke Ngobili..... Igbo parents and parents to be pls take note..... This is very very important.... GIVE YOUR CHILDREN IGBO NAMES..... Pls read

Late last night May 17, 2017, I was given a sudden invitation to be a guest at a Radio presentation in one of the Nigerian universities’ Fm stations. The theme was on the Igbo People and the issue of their names in conflict with their origin. I had accepted and went there this morning. Between 9am & 10am, I tried to contribute my thoughts on this issue that has been one of my main concerns about ndi Igbo. I considered that I should share some of the highlights of what I said on air here on Facebook. Below are the highlights:

· A people’s language may go into extinction but the people may still remain relevantly identified to an extent because of the last marker of who they are, which is: “NAME”. But the moment their names begin to get tampered with either directly or indirectly, they, as a people would go into the final stage of extinction and that would be their instant end forever. As we battle to save the Igbo language, we must have to battle the eclipse of our Igbo names replaced by the pull towards English names which is happening among many young Igbo people who feel they need to answer English names for social acceptance—or even for the other one they call “global” acceptance—all revealing their problems of inferiority complex caused by the lack of/insufficient education on Igbo Consciousness.

· The first and last identifier of who you are and would be remembered to be, even centuries later is your name. Other things like your legacies, works, etc fall in between. If your name veers away from the language of your origin, you stand the chances of being given a forced identity and your history distorted. Today, there are “Black Americans” who also are the “Negro” and more recently “African Americans”—these are names forced on a people whose grandparents and great grandparents had their languages and names from those languages. But those grand and great grandparents were forcefully dispossessed of their names during the slavery and given “Johnson”, “Washington”, “Freeman”. The irony now is that nobody is forcing it on us, we simply submit to the slavery and inferiority, after the psyche had been done a severe damage as a result of insufficient enlightenment on Igbo Consciousness.

· Njideka Crosby was formerly Njideka Akunyili—and that’s one of the late Prof Dora Akunyili’s daughters. Had her sufficiently educated mother given her some English names like “Jenny, Lily” or anything of sort as we see some Igbo young mums do to their daughters today just for “global” or “social” acceptance, we’d have lost that lady entirely having been married to a White man. But with that singular show of Igbo Consciousness by her mum, her history in connection to her origin with the rest of ndi Igbo would never be blurted. Compare that with the other lady at CNN, Zain Asher, who changed her names completely for reasons I suspect to be connected to the same issue of “acceptance”. Many years from now, the Igbo people yet to be born would only ‘hear’ or ‘glean’ from books that she is Igbo from Enugwu State. And when she’s married, forget it! And when she must have gone the way of all flesh? That historical link is a goner, forget it! There’s the other lady, Ojinika Kambili Obiekwe with the PIX TV in New York. She represents our people appropriately and is known to easily switch Igbo and English without some forming of accents. She bears her full names just as you see them above in Igbo! No inferiority complex, yet she is on the so-called “global stage” from where she has rightly understood that you’re nobody when you seek to be something other than yourself! Would we or anyone ever forget her to be of Igbo ancestry even ten decades after she’s lived? No!

· I gave all the examples above to emphasize that this problem needs more of our ladies for it to be addressed better. When many of our girls in the universities are sufficiently enlightened on the indignity of bearing names that are not from their very own Igbo language, it goes a long way to help them as mothers in instilling the same consciousness in their kids. Women impact most on kids than the men, following that nature has conditioned it so. Meanwhile, young Igbo men are to be enlightened as well, so as to become fathers who are sufficiently conscious.

· Young Igbo people who are guilty of this inferiority complex issue as well as parents and institutions that aid this wilful slavery with so much dosage of ignorance should know that, in Igbo Thought, names—of human beings—are summarized histories, summarized memories, and summarized values. There is absolutely no reason why an Igbo person would have to be bearing foreign/English names if not forced on him or her by the people that birthed him/her or by the institutions that shadowed his/her life or by him/herself (which is wilful slavery: the highest form of human indignity!). But a good enlightenment can help break away from those shackles as well as impart the right thing to the next generation.
----------------------------
Plus a few other things that would have made this lengthier even as I have tried to summarize briefly as possible. The host-presenter acknowledged that there’s the need for another day/session to dissect more on this where I’d get to slice deeper into the folds of this issue and give the modules on how to arrest the situation—both on short and long terms. I left the studio around 10.15am.

Daalụ kwanụ, ndị be anyị.

Ada React: I love this post of yours my brother Chijioke Ngobili Nna .... I simply love it....

Do you know that none of my kids bear English names other than when they are receiving the sacrament of Confirmation.... They are baptised with Igbo names.... Their first and second names are Igbo..... Chineke daalu

Their oyibo teachers struggle to pronounce their Igbo names and I can't be bothered.... They have often looked at me, silently imploring that I make it easier for them perhaps by adopting an English version but I look back at them and insist that my child's name is "Chukwuagozie" and if I can make the effort to pronounce "Siobhan" and "Caoimhe"..... Which are common Irish names which I pronounce correctly, pls kindly pronounce "Chukwuagozie" for me biko ..... The best I do is to tell them to informally call him Chuchu.... To show them a little empathy .... And they are always so grateful for that concession

I love the Igbo language fiercely..... God help me to continue to propagate it in any way I can Amen ..

My children are very Igbotic.... And they are so proud of their Igbo origins, they brandish it about in school.... They know their state of origin, local government and village and they recite it like they will use it to win the lottery..... Thank you so much for this Nna.

Odogwu Reacts:

Very apt, my point exactly, a friend was asking why I named my son Chinualumogu as first name, I simply said he's an igbo man, whenever I take him to see his pediatric doctor, the nurse is always having issues calling his name, I helped her to shortens it to Chinua...lol..besides I don't want him confused of his origin, born in American, but he is a full flesh Oguta by origin, I love the fact that his full names are ibo names, no confusion at all, no questioning before they will start messing with his head that he's halfcast... he's a full cast Biko... from Umuamechi kingdom of Oguta 1 Imo state and proudly Nigerian.......

Glory Ude reacts:

That's good. My son's name is Kamsiyochukwu but his teacher told me one day that the name is too hard to pronounce, that I should change it to English name. I laughed, however I told her since she can pronounce !!!!Russian and Slovakia!!!! names my son's own is as easy as abcd. Out of empathy I told her to shorten to ""Kamsi". Thinking that the problem has been solved, one day she told me that it is better that they write the name this way '''Camson". I vehemently said "NO". I told her that the name is our heritage and, she felt so bad.

Ngozi Reacts:

Totally concur with the writer's concerns ...People around me knows I love my igbo names, all my children go by their igbo names Living outside Nigeria succumbs you to all kinds of pressure to go by English name but I am unapologetically "Igbo girl" my son's school struggle with his name Ikemdinachi but I always tell them make an effort ..its not that difficult.

NOTE:

Women have the task to make these Igbo names stick to the children and make them proud of it.

If we struggle to pronounce Russian, German and Italian names..why should you care if people can't pronounce Igbo names. Re - arrange that child's name before he/she writes WAEC. Igbo amaka. If proud of your heritage. Share

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by iluvpomo(m): 9:33pm On May 19, 2017
Please how much is the annual tuition fees for this school make I calculate how I go fit organize for my pikins? grin

1 Like

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by Dottore: 9:33pm On May 19, 2017
Congratulations
Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by realestniggah: 9:34pm On May 19, 2017
well look like it time to break her innocent heart

me and my mummy are both coming to her house like

Re: Immaculata Onuigbo: American University Of Nigeria's Best Graduating Student by alegbeleye(m): 9:34pm On May 19, 2017
Congrats dear. Those with low grade won't like this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Otusha Faith Agbo Graduates With First Class In Mathematics From UK University / Madonna University Increases Her Tuition Fees - Pic / FUTA Quoted Bible Verse In Exam Question (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.