Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,757 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija (39787 Views)

How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria / Everything You Didn't Notice In Buhari's Latest Photos - Ynaija / How The North Is Underdeveloping Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 21, 2017
vodkat:

Where does nigeria export oil from ? is it not Port Harcout Port in Onne and the One in Calabar, What of Warri Port?

Lagos advantage is good leaders starting from Oba Kosoko till Ambode. If oba kosoko had killed all the british foregners who came to lagos them maybe they will have gone to cotonou.

Is not about how much is earned but what you do with what you earn

Just like a man making 1m every month and he blows everything in club
while another man invests it.

Governace is the real problem. Is it not in the Niger Delta that ibori is celebrated like a hero?
Lagos became Nigeria's capital, from amalgamation (1915) to 1991.Thats a 76 year period of capital investment from the British and independent fed govt. tin can port was built using fed revenue, the Lagos airport was built by the British(during world war 11), many highrise buildings in Lagos was built by the British, the military guys also contributed their quota in terms of infrastructure.
when you factor in the fact, that some regions like the SE, had to bandy together to build an airport (which was promptly nationalised and made redundant) -you begin to see the fallacy in the claim that Lagos, became what it is based on the ingenuity of its regional leaders.
True, Lagos has had fantastic administrators, but so has other states. Oba kosoko had nothing to do with lasgidis development rather, Lagos was in a prime position (the nearest to the landlocked north which made it an ideal staging point for shipping northern resources). It also wasn't flanked by the enemy (France) as Calabar was, and then the uncivil war happened-knocking out it challengers.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 10:30pm On May 21, 2017
aribisala0:

This is nonsense really.

The claim that any governor will perfor in Lagos is not only absurd it is daft.
The guy didn't see the contradiction in calling a team "Barcelona's Guardiola" and saying they didn't need a coach. Why didn't he say Enrique's Barcelona?

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 21, 2017
Bobby808:
Who is this riff raff with alot of loossed brain nuts? Just mentioned the names of governors who have very serious corrupt cases as that Tinubu and Fashola since independence? If not that Tinubu is among the world worst corrupt people, why should he own more than three quaters of the entire Lagos state as well as your very self? If you trust yourself, tell Gbajamiala to support the movement of all headquarters of all the oil companies to their operational areas and see if that Lagos will be the same.

Hear yourself, how does Tinubu own 3/4 of Lagos Please tell lies a little more intelligently.

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

I was expecting someone to be bring this up.

Who knew Abuja in the 60s, 70s or even 80s. When you're mentioning the top 3 cities in Nigeria, a new city like Abuja comes second after Lagos. Ad the idea has never been to make Abuja like Lagos and that is why properties in the capital are exorbitant which means that people who naturally run to Lagos won't even consider Abuja. If Abuja had been opened up like Lagos, it would have exploded beyond trace.

Why is Abuja not opened up It has a lot of government money and infratructure, so why Have you ever been to Abuja on weekends or during the holidays? It runs solely on government money - its a stinking money guzzler that produce nothing.

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 21, 2017
Odingo1:

Lagos where able to do that because they have one of the highest allocation from FG, tax returns from its population which occur as a result of FG monopoly federal presence in lagos.
Why is it that SW always object any attempt to have viable sea port in Niger delta , and dredging of River Niger so that Onitsha River port can re-open again.Do you know that Onitsha have a viable River port before the civil war,even the colonial masters met the river port when they came.
Every year the FG politicians will use dredging of river Niger to siphon money, Amaechi and co have started it this year.
Can Nigeria allow Enugu to have a standard international airport with consulates for visa processing and River port in Onitsha, one standard sea port in SS and second Niger bridge.
This are the federal presence we are talking about in lagos,
Viable Sea ports
Viable International airport
Oil headquarters
consulates
Bank headquarters
Let the SE/SS have only three of the above,the population of lagos will deflate like a leaking tube.

1. Private companies can site their HQs wherever they damn well please.
2. What the heck is a viable international airport? I'm curious to find out how this works.

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Jesusloveyou: 10:39pm On May 21, 2017
GrandGarcon:
Another nonsense! We are not taking about all parts developing at the same rate, it is to punnish Biafrans that the country was set up like this, all the sea ports in Nigeria except the lagos one are not functional, where in the east or in the niger delta will you find a true international airport? In those countries, airports are built when you have the means, but in Nigeria it is based on politics. Abegi forget that thing.
blame pdp and your ineffectual buffoon, don't blame the present

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 10:44pm On May 21, 2017
Bagehot:

Why is Abuja not opened up It has a lot of government money and infratructure, so why Have you ever been to Abuja on weekends or during the holidays? It runs solely on government money - its a stinking money guzzler that produce nothing.
So, how's what you're saying different from what said?

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by shuni05: 11:33pm On May 21, 2017
aribisala0:

This is nonsense really.

We are now in 2017 what was the last major Project the FG executed in Lagos State. 3rd Mainland Bridge which was comissioned in 1991 the same year they moved to Abuja.

The claim that any governor will perfor in Lagos is not only absurd it is daft.
Since 1999 Lagos state has borrowed extensively and is now the most indebted state owing over $1 billion in foreign debt not to mention local . Lagos state leadership is probably the only one that its citizens will trust to borrow like that because they can see where the money goes

We are talking not of infrastructure only but ideas

The BRT
Public deefender scheme
Communinty Developent Association cascading
Waste Management schemes

Remember the Ebola outbreak?

Strategic thinking in developing the Lekki Free Trade zone and others
Ikordu road in the 90s was a two lane road today we have a six lane motorway built by the State Government from Mile 12 to Ketu.

So please stop attributing this to the FG . Lagos has a huge population like Kano but Lagos is more creative in taxing its people and because it is so small( Nigerr State is 22 times its size) it can afford to concentrate its infrastructure spend

I understand your point, it's was pretty obvious the joke about anyone running Lagos. I don't deny the fact that brilliant ideas brought in since 1999 has rapidly developed Lagos which is full of potential. Where I woukd disagree with you is the fact that FG's presence in Lagos didn't play a big role. It set Lagos Lagos on its path though at some point it was abandoned at it took the Leaders to restore it. They've really done a massive job. I remember growing up in the neighboring state, dreams of most kids my age was to work hard and get a job in Lagos. vacation in Lagos was like a dream come true, seeing skyscrapers, bridges, planes, ships. It has always had this allure, why? Due to the development it had seen compared to other states.

How I wish other governors can be as smart thinking as the ones we have in Lagos and not wait for the FG because they only have eyes on Abuja.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 11:46pm On May 21, 2017
eduj:

Lagos became Nigeria's capital, from amalgamation (1915) to 1991.Thats a 76 year period of capital investment from the British and independent fed govt. tin can port was built using fed revenue, the Lagos airport was built by the British(during world war 11), many highrise buildings in Lagos was built by the British, the military guys also contributed their quota in terms of infrastructure.
when you factor in the fact, that some regions like the SE, had to bandy together to build an airport (which was promptly nationalised and made redundant) -you begin to see the fallacy in the claim that Lagos, became what it is based on the ingenuity of its regional leaders.
True, Lagos has had fantastic administrators, but so has other states. Oba kosoko had nothing to do with lasgidis development rather, Lagos was in a prime position (the nearest to the landlocked north which made it an ideal staging point for shipping northern resources). It also wasn't flanked by the enemy (France) as Calabar was, and then the uncivil war happened-knocking out it challengers.
Many of you Stubbornly and ignorantly continue parroting this rubbish despite correction. Lagos State was Never, NEVER the capital of Nigeria. When you talk of Capital since -1914 where exactly. The British made their capital in what used to be known as Colony of Lagos I. e Lagos Island and Ikoyi .please take correction and stop talking jazz. The greatest part of what is Lagos State today was ,at the time of independence, part of the Western region governed by Awo. The word Lagos had a very different meaning referring to the FCT which was governed by a federal minister in those days, one of whom was the father of late President YarAdua.
In 1967. Lagos the FCT was merged with parts of the Western region like Ikeja, Ikorodu, Epe, Oshodi and so on to create Lagos state.Ikeja became the Capital and Lagos city(NOT STATE ) remained the National capital with the plan to move. The national capital was based on the Island with all the offices, Supreme court,secretariat etc of the federal government there.
Please delete that idea that Lagos State was the capital or that the whole state was under British rule as capital that is nonsense
Lagos state DID NOT EXIST BEFORE 1967

6 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 12:09am On May 22, 2017
shuni05:

I understand your point, it's was pretty obvious the joke about anyone running Lagos. I don't deny the fact that brilliant ideas brought in since 1999 has rapidly developed Lagos which is full of potential. Where I woukd disagree with you is the fact that FG's presence in Lagos didn't play a big role. It set Lagos Lagos on its path though at some point it was abandoned at it took the Leaders to restore it. They've really done a massive job. I remember growing up in the neighboring state, dreams of most kids my age was to work hard and get a job in Lagos. vacation in Lagos was like a dream come true, seeing skyscrapers, bridges, planes, ships. It has always had this allure, why? Due to the development it had seen compared to other states.

How I wish other governors can be as smart thinking as the ones we have in Lagos and not wait for the FG because they only have eyes on Abuja.
What do you mean by PRESENCE?
The FG has investments in Lagos just like it has in the Niger Delta? Those investments are exploitative and destructive to the delta.The same is the casein Lagos. You cannot assume without evidence that this so called presence is any more positive in Lagos than the billions of dollars of "presence "Jan the Niger Delta. How come it is only after the FG left that things started looking up?
Have you ever been to Bonny Island? It is great ,that is not Federal presence it is the benefit of their resources. Lagos is benefiting though not sufficiently from its resource which is one of the best coastal access points in the country. That may appear as an intangible but try closing the Suez Canal or the Straits of Hormuz and watch a world war develop. The real value of that point to Lagos is its low cost versus high return. The reality is that whilst it would be nice to have alternatives the competing demands on our resources have made this impossible. Those who are too young to learn should hear this simple fact ,the first oil boom lasted less than 10 years 1973-1983 and then we were broke from 1983-2003 based on low oil prices .If that is anything to go by.Many will be dead or old men before oil prices recover, This idea that There was a time when we had plenty of oil money for a very long time and this was pumped into Lagos is fiction

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by southernbelle(f): 5:57am On May 22, 2017
Guestlander:

God bless you jare. Some prefer to go through life blustering and pretending to know what they have no clue about. They offer only jaundiced opinions based only on primordial sentiments.

Your comments especially, very mature and sensible.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Naturelover: 7:09am On May 22, 2017
Guestlander:

Whatever rocks your boat. When your judgment is clouded with ethnic jingoism you tend to see everything that way.
outstanding comment, your level of reasoning amazes me
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 7:42am On May 22, 2017
Bagehot:

1. Private companies can site their HQs wherever they damn well please.
2. What the heck is a viable international airport? I'm curious to find out how this works.
The FG sets up some airports with a master plan that they should not be viable
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 8:11am On May 22, 2017
aribisala0:

the first oil boom lasted less than 10 years 1973-1983
It didn't even last that long; and it wasn't continuous; 1973 - 1976 and then 1978 - 1979. Of course most of the money was embezzled or mismanaged.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Nobody: 8:41am On May 22, 2017
[quote author=aribisala0 post=56751888]
1) Many of you Stubbornly and ignorantly continue parroting this rubbish despite correction. Lagos State was Never, NEVER the capital of Nigeria. When you talk of Capital since -1914 where exactly. The British made their capital in what used to be known as Colony of Lagos I. e Lagos Island and Ikoyi .please take correction.

2)The word Lagos had a very different meaning referring to the FCT which was governed by a federal minister in those days, one of whom was the father of late President YarAdua.
check out this two sections of your posts go back and read mine,then tell me where I wrote that "Lagos State was Nigerias capital ".Even yourself alluded to the fact that :"The word Lagos had a very different meaning referring to the FCT "-in the totality of my write ups, I used the word "lagos" not "Lagos state".

" Lagos (island and mainland) served the dual role of being the State and Federal Capital until 1976, when the capital of the State was moved to Ikeja .After the full establishment of the Federal Capital Territory , the seat of the Federal Government was also formally relocated to Abuja on 12 December 1991"
The above is from the Lagos@50 website (https://www.lagosat50.org.ng/history/history-of-lagos).

Be that as it may, in typical fashion you skipped parts of my post where I stated some critical projects Lagos got by virtue of being the centre of absolute governance ,to focus on the ambiguity of Lagos and Lagos state. Good morning
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 8:48am On May 22, 2017
[quote author=eduj post=56757266][/quote] What do you mean by LAGOS WHEN YOU say it got critical project. LAGOS STATE? Outside the FCT? Name JUST ONE such project that has given LAGOS State an economic advantage over other states or led to underdevelopment in other states
JUST ONE SUCH PROJECT PLEASE
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by akoko11: 7:38pm On May 22, 2017
janellemonae:

Dt would be ideal. Fiscal federalism and a true capitalist economy. Not state govts owning everything. Govts are not good business managers. The US govt and state govt owns no part in all their booming industries. Compete-succeed or die.

U are on point bro
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by igbanbajo(m): 9:41pm On May 22, 2017
IdeyFindWife:

Lagos this, Lagos that!

When everybody will not think, chart a prodigous self-determination chart for the future of their state/people and actually follow up with the right policy, people and practices for that!

Which one of all our states is not endowed? Nasarrawa is sitting on a goldmine of mineral resources yet they're crawling. Benue's grasshopper-brained governor is busy buying wheelbarrows for his bastard children? What we're all doing to ourselves is more than what any Lagos is doing to anybody. The NigerDelta had their prestigious son as president, enjoyed a lot of payoffs from the Oil Companies over the decades, filled NDDC with their people on top of Amnesty Programme and juicy positioning in the NNPC yet at the end of the day, it's still blame-laying and finger-pointing, who's fooling who?

People will just fiind something to bitch about and cause trouble with, shm undecided
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Nobody: 11:27pm On May 22, 2017
Guestlander:
I think what we are seeing regarding Lagos is true for many other countries, for Germany it is Bavaria, for USA it is California, China the Guangdong region, Canada it is Ontario. Lagos is not underdeveloping the rest of Nigeria it is actually doing the opposite.

What has the FG done to promote international business by providing water ways and wharfs in other states e.g. PH, Onitsha, Akwa Ibom, Calabar ?

It is just the usual Nigerian mentality of overdoing things or monotony. The state with the highest amount of Natural resources is Akwa Ibom. Lagos no near am. Is Akwa Ibom not by the sea ?

It was just developed under the last governor. Yet undeveloped, when compared with Lagos. Crude oil is just only one of Akwa Iboms natural resources. There are many other resources they come first among other states i wont list here.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Nobody: 11:46pm On May 22, 2017
me69:
Lagos is saturated the city cannot support the capacity. FG should build other places

They will not see the truth, until it hurts them. Lagos is unhealthfully over saturated such that it is the number one city I cannot live in.

So dirty, you have to be a billionaire to live in a nice apartment or clean environment. Is it not the smell of dirty water and clogged sewage that the average lagosian breathes daily ?
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by PunditAfrica(m): 7:13pm On May 23, 2017
Raiders:
I agreed with most of your comments. However, I don't agree about your California statement. I have lived in California for over 5 years and have lived in both LA and SF. California is a million miles ahead of New York. It's more richer, diverse and bigger than New York. California economy is bigger than France and Italy. If California was a country. It will be the 5th largest in the world. It also accounts for about 30 percent of USA total economy.

Thanks, as to California and New York, I premised my comment on media. I haven't lived long enough in US to argue wt u...

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Unveiling Of The New Chief Obafemi Awolowo Statue By Governor Ambode / Abba Kyari In Germany, Holds Talks With Siemens On Improved Power / Abba Kyari Meets Ambode After The Rescue Of Kidnapped Lagos Schoolgirls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.