Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija (39795 Views)

How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria / Everything You Didn't Notice In Buhari's Latest Photos - Ynaija / How The North Is Underdeveloping Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Maduawuchukwu(m): 12:41pm On May 21, 2017
I have said this before and I will say it again. The biggest reason for the gap in development between Lagos and other Nigerian States is because of the headstart that Lagos had. From 1970 to 1991 when Abuja became operational the incompetent Federal military government concentrated all its developmental might on Lagos and either neglected that of other states or could not pull it off eg the Ajaokuta steel mines. This ensured that most companies who came to Nigeria sited in Lagos which was the only reasonably developed Nigerian State. Fashola and Tinubu tried but they are hailed more than their achievement; Lagos is a very small state with a good pedigree so results will be easier to achieve there. I dare say that some state governments like that of Peter Obi and Sullivan Chime have invested more in infrastructure relative to their income and state expanse but do they have the kind of investment coming into Lagos? No! However we should not ignore the efforts made by past Lagos governors like Fashola(my favourite) which ensured that Lagos maintained is advantage and not be like the south-south states were violence and thuggery has made it lose its comparative advantage in terms of petroleum refining i.e Dangote refinery.
For the future I see the disparity reducing though. The Federal government is handing/has handed over more of its erstwhile areas of monopoly to private firms eg Gas supply, telecommunication, Power, airport management, refining and hopefully in the future port management. This private firms will look for new areas to invest and this would spread development. We can already observe the inflow of investment into some hitherto "backward states" eg Anambra, Enugu with air peace and potentially Zinox, Calabar with GE, Ebony life, Skyrun etc. If this Coys make profit, it would kill the Lagos or nothing idea of others seeking to invest.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Maduawuchukwu(m): 12:45pm On May 21, 2017
Chukazu:
I read a similar article by BBC about how London underdevelope UK cities and I thought to myself, this must be a disease traceable to British style of governance which you can't find in France, Germany or Italy

The English are the Kings of Centralization. They seem to abhore dynamism and decentralisation. Look at the way they centralize land ownership in their country in contrast to the US where land ownership is individualistic. Nigerian military government learnt from them.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 12:48pm On May 21, 2017
Chukazu:
I read a similar article by BBC about how London underdevelope UK cities and I thought to myself, this must be a disease traceable to British style of governance which you can't find in France, Germany or Italy

Don't believe everything you read.

Try and do some thinking for yourself . There is a huge Economic divide in the Germany between east and west and even in the statess of the old West Germany.

There is a North South divide in Italy with Lombardy as the economic heartbeat of the nation interstingly Rome the capital is in the South. So much for theories about the capital.

In France the Paris region (Île-de-France) accounts for 30 % of the National GDP

It is the nature of economics to have such concentration of wealth economic activity. It is nothing to do with deliberate government policy but economic organicity.

This is the latest alibi from awon oloripelebe BLAME LAGOS FOR YOUR FAILINGS.
Lagos state is owing over $1 billion internationally and over 310 billion naira locally Is it the FG that will pay that back?
Lagos is 3300 square kilometre compare to Oyo 28000 and Niger 76000.
Equally small states like Anambra 4800 and Imo 5500 should stop making excuses and get to work.

Lagos state has a capital /recurrent ratio of 63/37 for a state that is so small in size . Other states need to raise their game. If you look at Delta,Rivers ,Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom you must adit that the 16 years under PDP have been wasted .A period of $100 oill and 13% derivation ,where are the dividends. UYO STADIUM?

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Maduawuchukwu(m): 12:50pm On May 21, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Ports Ports Ports

Seaports give advantage but it is not everything. If you don't use ur advantage well even with seaport there will be nothing for you. The Niger-Delta that has the single most important resource for industrialization; Oil and Gas energy, how many industries are establishing there? Even Dangote prefers building pipelines to lagos than to set his refinery where the resource is found.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 12:51pm On May 21, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Ports Ports Ports
Yes, ports are important but they're not everything. But cities like Atalnta, Dallas, Stuttgart, Milan and many other cities are land locked but are doing well. So, it's not just about having ports. A good governor will in earth the potential of a state without needing either a seaport or airport. But these are also important.

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 12:54pm On May 21, 2017
Chukazu: I read a similar article by BBC about how London underdevelope UK cities and I thought to myself, this must be a disease traceable to British style of governance which you can't find in France, Germany or Italy
We actually copied that type of governance from the British. As much as there are some other notable cities in Britain, it is because the country is developed and just about every part will have a city. But the gap between London and other cities is nothing but astronomical which is similar between Lagos and other Nigerian cities. it also rings true in other British colonies such as Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania etc.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:05pm On May 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

Yes, ports are important but they're not everything. But cities like Atalnta, Dallas, Stuttgart, Milan and many other cities are land locked but are doing well. So, it's not just about having ports. A good governor will in earth the potential of a state without needing either a seaport or airport. But these are also important.

My dear, that's what did it for Lagos. Sole Port location for consumer goods.
If SS ports were gazetted for consumer goods and not only arms, the whole of the former Eastern region will rival Lagos.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 1:09pm On May 21, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

If SS ports were gazetted for consumer goods and not only arms, the whole of the former Eastern region will rival Lagos.
Yes, that's one of the things that put Lagos on a pedestal.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 1:12pm On May 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

We actually copied that type of governance from the British. As much as there are some other notable cities in Britain, it is because the country is developed and just about every part will have a city. But the gap between London and other cities is nothing but astronomical which is similar between Lagos and other Nigerian cities. it also rings true in other British colonies such as Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania etc.
We copied nothing .You people just make up silly beer parlour theories that have no basis or meaning.

Such disparities are seen everywhere In France in Italy( Milan-Lombardy) in the USA to say somehow this is a British disease is crazy
The US has 50 states with a GDP of $18 trillion

California has a GDP of $2.6 trillion, 14 % of the nation and more than the bottom 30 states combined

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_Gross_State_Product_(GSP)

Texas 1.6 trillion ,New York 1.5 trillion.

The issue is not down to national governance but opportunities and people and regional governaance.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 1:24pm On May 21, 2017
janellemonae:

I don't know what the Lagos State govt and Yorubas are expected to do. Maybe we should close d ports, close d markets, chase investors out, shut down d financial industry, put sand on our head, wear sackcloth and mourn in silence.
Now that should sound like a good plan to your envious neighbors who want all you have; but due to their organizational deficiency can't have what you have. So how do crabs in a bucket do?

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 1:27pm On May 21, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Nothing to do with Gazetting? Have you ever imported anything into Nigeria? How old are you? The Ports in PH were used during the 70s but the capacity is low and at that time there were no roads out of PH capable of handling what happens in Lagos. The Aba -PH road was completed in 1979-80 and during Shagari's government the Port was busy but Nigeria has trebled in population since . The sensible place for a port should be on the sea with a road network that makes Ondo and Akwa Ibom a better choice. Ondo is even the best with the longest coastline but was scuttled because of politics.
The truth is PH port was designed primarily for export i.e to export coal from Enugu.

The main roads serving Lagos Port are the road to Ibadan which goes north and Benin which goes east. If there was a link road to the NE from the SS that would make any SS port viable but there is not. Do you know Niger imports through Nigeria.They prefer Lagos,why?

Ships used to go to PH but they stopped going there because they were losing money.Ther is no gazette stopping anyone importing through PH

If you have ever shipped you will know that from Europe it is cheaper to Accra,Lome Cotonou and Lagos in that order. Because of demand shippers will offer a better deal for Lagos than PH importers also found that Lagos is generally a bigger market for them and gradually the PH slipped into disuse fro individual shippers. The other problem was it is an inland Port and many ships were being boarded by criminal meaning higher insurance costs which were passed on to the shipper.

If any shipper decides to go to PH no law stops him or her but by the tie a shipper is getting to PH the one in Lagos has unloaded and on his way back.

6 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 1:30pm On May 21, 2017
aribisala0:
We copied nothing .You people just make up silly beer parlour theories that have no basis or meaning.

Such disparities are seen everywhere In France in Italy( Milan-Lombardy) in the USA to say somehow this is a British disease is crazy
The US has 50 states with a GDP of $18 trillion

California has a GDP of $2.6 trillion, 14 % of the nation and more than the bottom 30 states combined

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_Gross_State_Product_(GSP)

Texas 1.6 trillion ,New York 1.5 trillion.

The issue is not down to national governance but opportunities and people and regional governaance.

Thank God you did not abuse me this time grin

It's wrong to compare those countries to Nigeria.

Can you tell me one field of endeavour that is not centered i Lagos. They are rare. The Banking, Insurance and every financial institution is headquareted in Lagos. Manufacturing is also in the Lagos/Ogun corrdor. Entertainment kwanu? lagos. Just tell me one thing that Lagos does not dominate. But for those countries you mentioned it's not like that.

Milan is the fashion capital of Italy. Sicily and Venice are tourist destinations. Rome is the capital and religious capital of the modern world.

In France, Paris may be the largest city and pretty similar to what we have in Nigeria but other cities are equally representing.

In America, As much as California has the largest economy. It's not so far apart from Texas and New York. Texas and New York have a GDP percentage of 9% and 8% respectively. Almost every state and city in the US is known for something. NYC is the business and financial capital of America with Chicago not very far away. Los Angeles is the entertainment (mostly movies) capital of America. Houston is an oil city. Miami is a tourist city. Microsoft is not in any of these cities. It's in Seattle, Washington. Cocacola and CNN are headquareted in Atlanta Georgia and so on. Can't we have something like that in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 1:30pm On May 21, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

The English are the Kings of Centralization. They seem to abhore dynamism and decentralisation. Look at the way they centralize land ownership in their country in contrast to the US where land ownership is individualistic. Nigerian military government learnt from them.
Guy, your comparisons are not predicated on the context of history. England had long belonged to the English; you can trace the ownership of land to the Medieval Period and beyond to the various landowners and royal families. US is stolen land. That's why they would rather give the impression it is land of the free.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Odingo1: 1:35pm On May 21, 2017
aribisala0:

There is nothing like economic capital ,we have only one capital,

There is an airport in all major states nott just Lagos.

The Port was built by the British before independence.

There is no law forcing Banks to have their headuarters in Lagos

The bank CEOs like living in Lagos ,I wonder why

The issue here today is why there is so much money in Lagos is it because of Bridges and Embassies?

By the way all embassies are in Abuja . Even when they were in Lagsos the state governmennt coud not perform as it is now.

Is it the FG that made Dangote site his refinery in Lagos ..Why does Dangote himself live in Lagos?

Please explain how having oil headquarters contributed to the economy of Lagos before 1999. Did they start paying tax to Lagos state after 1999 because as of 1999 total IGR in lagos was 12 billion Naira a year and today it is over 300 billion

If it is all those things tell us when we can expect the economy of Abuja to start booming
FG make lagos the economic capital of Nigeria by having all its infrastructure that attract development in lagos.
Why can't FG build another standard ports and international viable airports in other parts of the country, why most a country that boast of 180 million people depend on one single port and one international airport built by colonial masters and upgraded by FG after nearly 60 years of independence,did you know that South Africa have 6 viable ports and 5 international viable airports that cover the whole country. The Bank CEO and other mega companies chooses lagos because of monopolized federal presence in lagos, Everything that make other state to diversify is located in lagos.
If other region talk about diversifying the economy,some other region will sabotage it.
The entire SS with vast access to ocean and river ports in SE is not good enough for another viable ports like Apapa to be build in it and an international standard airport like muritala in lagos cant be repeated in any other region.
Why must somebody be traveling all the way from far SS/SE/MB/North just to enter plane in lagos. Is that how other countries operate.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 1:37pm On May 21, 2017
Odingo1:

It doesn't have to do with Aviation minister, Nigeria should have a master plan on development, FG should diversify Nigeria and stop concentrating everything in Lagos, is not that we are envious of lagos, but a sane country should spread its infrastructure,
Maybe you should ask your sister Oduah. smiley I remember when she was accused of fraud and embezzlement, your people were all wailing, talking about "leave our sister alone". You want to eat your cake and have it?

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Bobby808: 1:39pm On May 21, 2017
IdeyFindWife:

Am from a so-called minority tribe but av been privileged to have related with government service infrastructures all over the 6 geopolitical zones and frankly speaking, politicians and civil service structure's the same everywhere all over Nigeria. Don't deceive yourself, aside from the good ones, majority of politicians and policy-implementing public servants have been a let-down to this country thus far.

People in each State first have to think for themselves by electing forward-thinking administrations with strategic long-term business plans and developmental models for their States which will not only grow them but answer all the deeper yearnings of the individual tribes/people-groups present in them! That being done plus good representative governance comprised of compassionate and conscientious men who won't go to Abuja to sell-out would have being great foundations for autonomous state developments.

Instead, what do we do? We tribalize every little thing right from council and ward levels. We queued up behind kolanut&yam eating deceivers who are ran elections with Bank Loans and long lists of pay-back conditions from different groups, financiers and godfathers!

When did the narrative change from thieving governors stealing enough money to be richer than their own States? When did everybody suddenly forget the stupidly-meddlesome contributions of the Military regimes and their damaging impact up till the present OR the need for constitutional/public sector reforms and restructuring the country?

Most tribalistic Nigerians have no personal history or reason for devolving into such hateful goblins with shallow mindlessness and perennial selective forgetfulness of everything else except their spite; they just stupidly buy into it!

The push-pull effect of you, Yoruba/Hausa/Igbo tribes and your constant puerile bickering has sabotaged the rest of us long enough! We don't need Lagos, y'all who want it and go take it and die for all we care. Being paired with y'all has been backward-tracking curse, not a blessing! And you're still talking shyt!

You people should get your shyt together!

That Lagos that you are crying over didn't start out as a problem to you. Lagos never campaigned to usurp any other State's position, resources or opportunities. The fact that you're not thinking or moving does not mean others should stop for you to overtake them. This is a Capitalist environment! If Lagos was not openly all inclusive, all tribes wouldn't be so glaringly well-represented there to the point that people call it a "No-Man's-Land"! To turn around and bite that same finger that fed so fat reveals depths of moral blindness and ungrateful wretchedness.

You've printed and distributed "Blame-cards" to Lagos and everyone else for your problems thus far. I'm sure you'll soon go and give God his own copy personally if you don't stop raising your Blood-Pressure needlessly like this.
Who is this riff raff with alot of loossed brain nuts? Just mentioned the names of governors who have very serious corrupt cases as that Tinubu and Fashola since independence? If not that Tinubu is among the world worst corrupt people, why should he own more than three quaters of the entire Lagos state as well as your very self? If you trust yourself, tell Gbajamiala to support the movement of all headquarters of all the oil companies to their operational areas and see if that Lagos will be the same.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 1:43pm On May 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

Thank God you did not abuse me this time grin

It's wrong to compare those countries to Nigeria.

Can you tell me one field of endeavour that is not centered i Lagos. They are rare. The Banking, Insurance and every financial institution is headquareted in Lagos. Manufacturing is also in the Lagos/Ogun corrdor. Entertainment kwanu? lagos. Just tell me one thing that Lagos does not dominate. But for those countries you mentioned it's not like that.

Milan is the fashion capital of Italy. Sicily and Venice are tourist destinations. Rome is the capital and religious capital of the modern world.

In France, Paris may be the largest city and pretty similar to what we have in Nigeria but other cities are equally representing.

In America, As much as California has the largest economy. It's not so far apart from Texas and New York. Texas and New York have a GDP percentage of 9% and 8% respectively. Almost every state and city in the US is known for something. NYC is the business and financial capital of America with Chicago not very far away. Los Angeles is the entertainment (mostly movies) capital of America. Houston is an oil city. Miami is a tourist city. Microsoft is not in any of these cities. It's in Seattle, Washington. Cocacola and CNN are headquareted in Atlanta Georgia and so on. Can't we have something like that in Nigeria?

Yes we can and should and do. Lagos,Rivers,Delta,Oyo and Imo are our top 5 state economies. They do not have to be equal

There are 30 states whose combined economy is smaller than California's so we have similar disparity too.

what I take issue with is this foolishness that somehow it is down to FG policy. Or that Lagos has grown at the expense of others . The sky is wide enough for all the birds
Why are we importing palm oil today. What is the SE doing about that ? Lagos state is starting an oil company and people are spiteful

Why did Ibori not build a refinery? Why was Akpabio building a stadium? Let us stop blaming the FG and tell ourselves some hometruths.
Ibori is reported to have stolen hundreds of millions of oil dollars. Imagine if that money had been used to build another Niger bridge and tolled?

Our economy is mainly agriculture based and we need to figure out how to take that to the next level. In Nigeria every state is known for something. too.

If the last three governors that ruled Lagos ruled Delta or Rivers State they would both be wealthier than Lagos now. They have oil,gas and plenty of land

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Bobby808: 1:43pm On May 21, 2017
TVTKOKO:
you say what The yorubas are preventing the relocation of oil headquarters? How? Please re-read that junk you wrote and modify
Please, forward match straight to Senator Gbajamiala, the Tinubu errant boy. He is the fore front man who is against the proposed movement abi relocation.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Odingo1: 1:46pm On May 21, 2017
logica:
Maybe you should ask your sister Oduah. smiley I remember when she was accused of fraud and embezzlement, your people were all wailing, talking about "leave our sister alone". You want to eat your cake and have it?
Aviation minister don't have the power to build a sea port or airport,the budget do so,Stella Odua only bought bullet proof vehicles at inflated prices,I don't really understand what you are saying because it doesn't have any connection with the topic we are discussing.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 1:52pm On May 21, 2017
Odingo1:

FG make lagos the economic capital of Nigeria by having all its infrastructure in lagos.
Why can't FG build another standard ports and international viable airports in other parts of the country, why most a country that boast of 180 million people depend on one single port and one international airport built by colonial masters and upgraded by FG after nearly 60 years of independence,did you know that South Africa have 6 viable ports and 5 international viable airports that cover the whole country. The Bank CEO and other mega companies chooses lagos because of monopolize fededral presence in lagos, Everything that make other state to diversify is located in lagos.
If other region talk about diversifying the economy,some other region will sabotage it.

Name the infrastructure that you re talking about exactly ?

There are airports everywhere? You want a seaport in Kano?

What do you mean by federal presence in Lagos?

You are just ranting.

The banks choose to be in Lagos because the oney is in Lagos it is that simple.

Did the FG put more infrastructure in LAgos than Abuja? No

Abuja received massive infusion of capital .Billions of dollars whilst Lagos was abandoned. The last FG project in Lagos I remember was comissioned in 1991 Third Mainland Bridge. Which took over 10 years after Buhari suspended it in 1984.

Is it bridges that makes Lagos wealthy? grin grin

You really have no facts but like the frustrated sibling who has failed you keep blaming your wealthy brother

Our father sent him to school but did not send us
He has stolen the Family goodluck etc

Why is this federal presence not producing Miracles in Abuja

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 1:55pm On May 21, 2017
aribisala0:

I was expecting someone to be bring this up.

Who knew Abuja in the 60s, 70s or even 80s. When you're mentioning the top 3 cities in Nigeria, a new city like Abuja comes second after Lagos. Ad the idea has never been to make Abuja like Lagos and that is why properties in the capital are exorbitant which means that people who naturally run to Lagos won't even consider Abuja. If Abuja had been opened up like Lagos, it would have exploded beyond trace.

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 1:56pm On May 21, 2017
Lagos is building another seaport or is it another two >Why can't othe states follow.Why must the FG build it.The FG ill never have that kind of oney again. That is the bitter reality. Go and see how much of the budget is going to debt servicing alone and then salaries

The sad part is when Lagos' additional ports come on stream it might be too late for others to ever catch up and that will only mean even more bitterness

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 1:57pm On May 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

I was expecting someone to be bring this up.

Who knew Abuja in the 60s, 70s or even 80s. When you're mentioning the top 3 cities in Nigeria, a new city like Abuja comes second after Lagos. Ad the idea has never been to make Abuja like Lagos and that is why properties in the capital are exorbitant which means that people who naturally run to Lagos won't even consider Abuja. If Abuja had been opened up like Lagos, it would have exploded beyond trace.
We are talking economics .What is the GDP of Abuja> What makes it top 3 ?

What is the IGR of Abuja?

That is what we are talking about have you got data?

What do you mean by "opened up" You are contradicting yourself.

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 2:01pm On May 21, 2017
aribisala0:

We are talking economics .What is the GDP of Abuja> What makes it top 3 ?

What is the IGR of Abuja?

That is what we are talking about have you got data?
That's exactly what i'm saying. Abuja was not built like that. It was built to be a political city where the high and might frolic. it has not really started taking advantage of it's advantage because the government pretty much finds Abuja with a special ministry for Abuja.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 2:09pm On May 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

That's exactly what i'm saying. Abuja was not built like that. It was built to be a political city where the high and might frolic. it has not really started taking advantage of it's advantage because the government pretty much finds Abuja with a special ministry for Abuja.
I don't know what you are talking about and you don't either can you stick to the topic and stop talking jazz.

So Lagos was built for Igbos to sell gala? Kontinue. We will soon sort you out .

Lagos is an economic hub because it has always had strategic thinking.That is why Awolowo developed Ikeja as an Industrial park/hub to capitalise on nearness to the port.Then Ikeja was part of the Western Region.

The Stock Exchange is in Lagos.That is the biggest market in the country Onitsha boys won't understand that. The banks need to be close to the biggest arket in the country.
The Capital market is in Lagos. This has nothing to do with infrastructure but sentiment. If you want to borrow money or do any deals involving the banks you ust come to Lagos

This has nothing to do with FG ut confidence. It is down to first mover advantage. Lagos was a pioneer in the Capital market and that was down to being capital of the country but now that the capital has moved the money has decided to stay.

I really do not know how to bang the idea into your head

LAGOS IS A STATE not a city

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 2:11pm On May 21, 2017
Odingo1:

Aviation minister don't have the power to build a sea port or airport,the budget do so,Stella Odua only bought bullet proof vehicles at inflated prices,I don't really understand what you are saying because it doesn't have any connection with the topic we are discussing.
Sebi you were talking about viable airports. All the "renovation" work she did nko?

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Maduawuchukwu(m): 2:12pm On May 21, 2017
aribisala0:

Name the infrastructure that you re talking about exactly ?

There are airports everywhere? You want a seaport in Kano?

What do you mean by federal presence in Lagos?

You are just ranting.

The banks choose to be in Lagos because the oney is in Lagos it is that simple.

Did the FG put more infrastructure in LAgos than Abuja? No

Abuja received massive infusion of capital .Billions of dollars whilst Lagos was abandoned. The last FG project in Lagos I remember was comissioned in 1991 Third Mainland Bridge. Which took over 10 years after Buhari suspended it in 1984.

Is it bridges that makes Lagos wealthy? grin grin

You really have no facts but like the frustrated sibling who has failed you keep blaming your wealthy brother

Our father sent him to school but did not send us
He has stolen the Family goodluck etc

Oga Abuja cannot become like Lagos in 26 short years. Lagos was Nigeria's Capital for about 77 years and received massive revenue for 30 years beginning in 1970. Abuja was a pure virgin land about 3 decades ago. But have u been to Abuja? I live in KD and am relocating to Abuja next year as is now the norm. Most youths in KD and the north are going to Abuja now. Many companies are setting up in Abuja. Abuja is developing satelite towns at a rapid pace. Channels has moved a major part of its operations to Abuja, so to has AIT and silverbird. As time is going it will become more pronounced. Check Abuja in the next 20 years and see whether they won't be in the 1st 2 of biggest Naija economies.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 2:13pm On May 21, 2017
logica:
Sebi you were talking about viable airports. All the "renovation" work she did nko?
grin grin revelation work? Abeg where i that photo of Elugu Hiapot
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 21, 2017
what type of article is this? how does the development of lagos state lead to the underdevelopment of other states? is it the fault of lagos state govt that the governors in other states cant make their states developed?
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Odingo1: 2:15pm On May 21, 2017
aribisala0:
Lagos is building another seaport or is it another two >Why can't othe states follow.Why must the FG build it.The FG ill never have that kind of oney again. That is the bitter reality. Go and see how much of the budget is going to debt servicing alone and then salaries

The sad part is when Lagos' additional ports come on stream it might be too late for others to ever catch up and that will only mean even more bitterness
Lagos where able to do that because they have one of the highest allocation from FG, tax returns from its population which occur as a result of FG monopoly federal presence in lagos.
Why is it that SW always object any attempt to have viable sea port in Niger delta , and dredging of River Niger so that Onitsha River port can re-open again.Do you know that Onitsha have a viable River port before the civil war,even the colonial masters met the river port when they came.
Every year the FG politicians will use dredging of river Niger to siphon money, Amaechi and co have started it this year.
Can Nigeria allow Enugu to have a standard international airport with consulates for visa processing and River port in Onitsha, one standard sea port in SS and second Niger bridge.
This are the federal presence we are talking about in lagos,
Viable Sea ports
Viable International airport
Oil headquarters
consulates
Bank headquarters
Let the SE/SS have only three of the above,the population of lagos will deflate like a leaking tube.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 2:20pm On May 21, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Oga Abuja cannot become like Lagos in 26 short years. Lagos was Nigeria's Capital for about 77 years and received massive revenue for 30 years beginning in 1970. Abuja was a pure virgin land about 3 decades ago. But have u been to Abuja? I live in KD and am relocating to Abuja next year as is now the norm. Most youths in KD and the north are going to Abuja now. Many companies are setting up in Abuja. Abuja is developing satelite towns at a rapid pace. Channels has moved a major part of its operations to Abuja, so to has AIT and silverbird. As time is going it will become more pronounced. Check Abuja in the next 20 years and see whether they won't be in the 1st 2 of biggest Naija economies.
Receive massive revenue for 30 years from 1970?

You are young

In 1983 Nigeria was broke. Buhari too over governent on 31 December nd one of the first things he did was suspend the 3rd mainland bridge
In 1972 pil was $3.60 a barrel it was after the 1973 crisis that oil became $12 a barrel by 1974 when we started to have a windfall. This idea that there was a long period of oil wealth is just false.Why not do alittle research

Later in 1987 Babangida resurrected it and completed it in 1991.

Tell us the projects that you claim were done with this MASSIVE REVENUE?

I can tel you two the National stadium and National theatre. They are rotting away and have made no impact on the economy.

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by aribisala0(m): 2:24pm On May 21, 2017
The seaport in Lagos is a business investment. In the same way that the LNG project in Bonny is and also other oil installations in the Niger Delta.
It was started by the British in the 1880s and was profitable from day one

So that for me is not development but exploitation. Later the Nigerian FG came took over and started exploiting the resource whilst to date they pay no derivation like they do for oil and even refuse tto repair the roads that are destroyed by the heavy trcks.

The real question is how much money net has Nigeria made from the port in Lagos over the years and how does that compare with what it has put back into Lagos

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Election Postponed: Remain Peaceful In Face Of Provocation, Atiku Tells Nigerian / Nigerians React To Kano Commissioner, Garo's Spoken English After 'Arrest' / $322m Abacha Loot: FG Begins Cash Transfer To Poor Homes..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.