Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv (54421 Views)

How To Transfer Airtime From Mtn To Airtel Or Glo To Etisalat And Vice Versa / We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks / MTN To End Blackberry Services In Nigeria On January 27 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by PROVERBZ(m): 8:45pm On May 20, 2017
Origin:
Competition is sweet I tell you.

Econet's Kwese tv has come to Nigeria and has even bought the NPL rights.
Kwese tv will most likely have have a PAYG option instead of fixed and they are already trending all over Africa.

I see "smart" CEOs and I wonder. Most Kwese tv staff were formerly from Multichoice. Rumors of inadequate staff welfare and high use of contract staff at Multichoice (as most companies now do)

Now your staff are with your competitors and they know your secrets. They know how much you made from the NPL and made a far better offer.

The largest market in Africa and yet you can't give back to your customers. It's always about the profits, profits profits that still hardly gets into the hands of stockholders. Anyhooos its all business.

wrong kwese sports don't hold broadcast rights to the npfl

for now no company those it is actually the 3rd division called the NLO which recently signed a deal with pipulz TV a Nigerian owned pay TV its new in the market in fact the are officially lunching it this July and it can den be made available to the public its nice that its a Nigerian company

now the npfl will also be looking to sell its rights to them if the one with the lower dividon turns out a success

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by dingbang(m): 8:46pm On May 20, 2017
They should acquire indomie noodles company too .. Nonsense
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by zzzzy: 8:47pm On May 20, 2017
markemcee:

the price of airtime going high has nothing to do with them
well, where i am, only theirs are up. What caused it then btw?
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by markemcee(m): 8:52pm On May 20, 2017
zzzzy:
well, where i am, only theirs are up. What caused it then btw?

the sellers decided to increase the price, using the economy and no gain as excuse. I received a text message from mtn advising not to buy if the price is more than the specified price.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by adecz: 8:58pm On May 20, 2017
An impending corporate incest.

Sister South African companies to 'marry'??

Bettet Glo to marry DSTv..
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by adecz: 8:58pm On May 20, 2017
An impending corporate incest.

Sister South African companies to 'marry'??

Better Glo to marry DSTv..
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by kehinde2436(m): 8:59pm On May 20, 2017
All is well joor.....
As the popular yoruba adage goes that "Gambari pa Fulani, ko ni ejo ninu"....
Meaning... (When a Gambari man kills a Fulani man, then no case should be put forward because they are of the same tribe)
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by zzzzy: 9:08pm On May 20, 2017
markemcee:

the sellers decided to increase the price, using the economy and no gain as excuse. I received a text message from mtn advising not to buy if the price is more than the specified price.
well, i might be wrong there (though i haven't received that). But i believe they are on a verge to get their fine back.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by donbenie(m): 9:10pm On May 20, 2017
They wan settle down and rip off Nigerians properly..
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Ferdinandu(m): 9:17pm On May 20, 2017
Multichoice is already having monopoly on pay TV service in Nigeria and MTN is almost having the same privilege in call and data service in this country. The kind of monopoly the merger of this two Giants will bring will be catastrophic to the final consumer to this country. The Regulatory agency shouldn't allow this to happen to save us from imperialist companies.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Timelezz: 9:21pm On May 20, 2017
postmann:

There're facts in what you said. But GLO... !
still better than mtn
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Larrylarex(m): 9:21pm On May 20, 2017
This shit just got messier!
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by phemmisky(m): 9:22pm On May 20, 2017
A proposed similar acquisition such as this was outrightly rejected in USA when AT&T wanted to acquire Time Warner Coy (CNN) as same will promote anti competitive behavior .
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by GoodGovernance: 9:27pm On May 20, 2017
I will comment when MTN acquires DSTV and GOTV
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by holluphemydavid(m): 9:29pm On May 20, 2017
tutudesz:
Bad network and no signal loading
Lol
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Kingspin(m): 9:30pm On May 20, 2017
This is how Nigerian economy should be operate for Goodness sake. Purely for business purpose.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by solaere(m): 9:39pm On May 20, 2017
Gbese re o !!!
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 20, 2017
Chai, we don die be dat embarassed

Per minute billing. Smh
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by postmann: 9:45pm On May 20, 2017
Timelezz:
still better than mtn

I strongly disagree. I will even describe the green coloured one as incompetent and irresponsible. Even with all their innovation like first per second billing, first gprs provider, their services are nothing short of national embarrassment. They're completely unreliable.

1 Like

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Madeu(m): 9:46pm On May 20, 2017
The new phase is Mobile Tv. With the availability of affordable Internet, you don't need a decoder and a dish to watch your favorite Tv shows.
All you need is an app(Netflix) and internet. So it's a smart move by DSTV - partner or merges with an ISP, if not you will be out of business.
It is easier for MTN to pioneer Mobile TV in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by komodapson(m): 9:49pm On May 20, 2017
[/color]
Arsenalholic1:
Guys look out for Kwese App owned by Strive Masiyiwa. It will hit the Nigerian market soon.

Enough of DSTV ripping us off in our own backyard with the help of our cursed leaders
[color=#006600]
Arsenalholic1:
Guys look out for Kwese App owned by Strive Masiyiwa. It will hit the Nigerian market soon.

Enough of DSTV ripping us off in our own backyard with the help of our cursed leaders
Arsenalholic1:

I thought they are already in Nigeria from what i read n heard
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Culin(f): 9:52pm On May 20, 2017
Bhet why. DSTV is bad already why make it worse?
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 20, 2017
Madeu:
The new phase is Mobile Tv. With the availability of affordable Internet, you don't need a decoder and a dish to watch your favorite Tv shows.
All you need is an app(Netflix) and internet. So it's a smart move by DSTV - partner or merges with an ISP, if not you will be out of business.
It is easier for MTN to pioneer Mobile TV in Nigeria.
lol pioneer mobile tv with what?
1.5gb for 1000 a month?

Do you know a single hd movie on netflix could be around 5gb or more?
Now imagine watching 4 movies on mtn, that's like 10000 naira worth of data.

And we all know even if mtn wants to reduce date price, your mumu NCC won't allow them.

2 Likes

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 20, 2017
bkool7:
Before nkor ?
No be SA ?

No mind them who be foolish for here? For all we know they have affiliation right from s.a but could not reveal it on Nigeria so they are making it look like ita being bought over
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Arsenalholic1: 10:22pm On May 20, 2017
komodapson:
[/color][color=#006600] I thought they are already in Nigeria from what i read n heard
Not yet from what I read.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Madeu(m): 10:23pm On May 20, 2017
MetaHuman:
lol pioneer mobile tv with what?
1.5gb for 1000 a month?

Do you know a single hd movie on netflix could be around 5gb or more?
Now imagine watching 4 movies on mtn, that's like 10000 naira worth of data.

And we all know even if mtn wants to reduce date price, your mumu NCC won't allow them.

Most of the Telecom coys are still making ROI, couple with The Nigerian factor of doing business. 2G and 3G are free in most countries. Just a matter of time Data price will drop. Lagos state govt now offers free wifi spot. Google and FB doing the same thing.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by kamuzu(m): 10:36pm On May 20, 2017
seriously.......

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 20, 2017
Ferdinandu:
Multichoice is already having monopoly on pay TV service in Nigeria and MTN is almost having the same privilege in call and data service in this country. The kind of monopoly the merger of this two Giants will bring will be catastrophic to the final consumer to this country. The Regulatory agency shouldn't allow this to happen to save us from imperialist companies.
Monopoly doesn't exist in Nigeria in the first place. Dstv had some right privileges to air EPL. because they were the highest bidder if not there are alternative aside football rights in Nigeria. MTN is having monopoly in calli because other networks offer similar services too. It's left for the other networks to improve the service delivery. Glo for example has cheap data plan but their network is poor.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by EzeeYFB(m): 11:24pm On May 20, 2017
Arsenalholic1:

how does it work abeg n shey we go fit dey watch our matches n other better stations? Cos dstv dey show pple pepper
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by fostermd(m): 11:56pm On May 20, 2017
This will lead to monopoly ,no competition and uncontrollable price increases !The appropriate regulatory authority should not approve this acquisition.
Nigerian masses will suffer on the long run,it's amazing that many cannot understand the implication.This is the same scenario where the authorise in the states do not want Rupert Murdoch to acquire Sky cable.

1 Like

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by suremanpatriot: 12:32am On May 21, 2017
NOW THIS IS REAL BAD NEWS! Mtn not reliable in anything
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by 14(m): 1:10am On May 21, 2017
thesicilian:

I don't think I see how it will affect Nigerian music and Nollywood? Are they going to stop showing our music and movies on DSTV, or is it that the MTN sponsorship deals of Nigerian celebrities will be withdrawn?

MTN will cut off some channels that dont get big viewership just to cut cost, as you heard, Multichoice africa is operating at a lost in the whole of africa except in SA where they are still making a profit. That means the profit they made in South africa was used to service the entire continent to cover the shortfall. So if MTN or any other companies takes over, there wont be that luxury, they would have to dig deep into their pocket or trim down the channels to stay afloat. With the current channels are there on Dstv, dstv is making a loss, how will the new company start making money with the same channels? mind you, those channels contracts have to be re-negotiated, its not gonna be easy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

[NEW!] Mtn Unlimited Browsing For All! / How To Know Those Who Saved Your Contact On Whatsapp / Finally Gotten The Itel S31. My Personal Review Follows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.