Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,519 members, 7,823,227 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation (2277 Views)

Life After Pharmacy School / Primary 6, Jss3, SS3 And Final Year Students To Resume School – An Appeal / Life After School : An Untamed Advice For Fresh Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation by omiaruk: 8:13pm On May 20, 2017
*LIFE IN PHARMACY SCHOOL*

I remember when I had my first carryover in the school of pharmaceutical studies, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. I actually thought I was going to die because of the pain I was feeling. I moved around like a widow. I would hide myself in deserted buildings and cry from morning till night. For two days, I refused to eat anything.
I stopped picking my parents’ calls because I couldn't even imagine telling them that I had failed at school. So I continued to cry and starve myself. I was having a new experience in my life- that of failure. I grew up being the best in everything and was always at the top of my class effortlessly. In fact, years after I left secondary school, I met one of my teachers who asked me,
“Hope you’re still carrying on your legacy of profound academic excellence?”
And the thing with pharmacy school is that our courses are linked in such a way that failing a single course (even in your first year) can give you an automatic extra year. It doesn’t even matter if your GPA is 4.89. They are called prerequisites. We even had courses that you could only pass with an A or a B. C was a fail.
And we didn't have “resits” or summer school- a chance to stay back and rewrite those courses at the end of the semester or session when your mates are at home. Nah. You just have to wait an entire year to retake the frigging course!
When I finally spoke to my dad that first time, he said,
“I know you've never failed at anything before and this must feel like your entire world just crumbled. But you’ve to get up and try again. You'll be fine.”
Damn. Pharmacy school didn't get any easier. The lectures from morning till evening all through the week except on Sundays, the millions of tests, assignments and practicals we had to run... I watched my colleagues getting withdrawn left, right and centre. People were taking drugs, caffeine to stay awake and read through the night. One of my classmates nearly lost his mind because he was smoking marijuana just so he could keep up with his study load.
At the time, if there was any attempted suicide incident in ABU, Zaria, that person was most likely a pharmacy student. There was even a case of a guy who threw himself from the third floor of Suleiman hostel upon seeing his results.
I learnt how to cram in pharmacy school. I realized that my method of studying to learn was holding me back because all some of the lecturers wanted to see was exactly what they taught you. And there were courses you had no choice but to cram- all those diagrams, chemical structures, dates and classifications. If you’re bad at cramming in pharmacy school, you’ll fail woefully.
But then at the back of your mind, you're expected to have an understanding of all you are being taught nonetheless. Because in your final year, you would be required to remember all you have been taught from your first or second year to pass most of your courses.
What am I trying to say?
I learnt how to look failure in the eye and tell it I wasn’t backing down come what may because of ABU, Zaria. Trust me, failure was and is still one of my greatest fears. In fact it is my biggest driving force. But I learnt to turn failure into a goldmine. I allowed it to remould me and refine me. I’m stronger and better today because I know what it means to fall but not to stay down.
I know that failure can do one of two things to everyone of us- turn you into an even bigger failure or become the spring board to an even more amazing success story. I had colleagues in pharmacy school, Zaria who never recovered from their first set of carryovers. They became so overwhelmed that they had to eventually leave.
That’s why I keep saying this- the power to be almost anything you want to be lies in your mind. If you can conquer your fears, you can conquer anything. But if you already feel defeated inside of you, there’s really no way you are going to succeed at any task.
So wake up every morning with a victorious attitude, tell yourself these words as often as possible,
“I’m stronger/bigger than this challenge/
phase/pain. This challenge/phase/pain will only do one thing- make me better/
stronger.”
And then go right ahead to put in the needed effort required to achieve your goals or projects.
Never forget- the power to change your story lies in your hands...

© *Blessing Mary Ocheido!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation by omiaruk: 8:16pm On May 20, 2017
olawalebabs, Lalasticlala Fynestboi, Mynd44 Richiez Seun
Re: Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation by Ichietome: 9:38pm On May 20, 2017
Following This is interesting and enlightening.

1 Like

Re: Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 20, 2017
Hmmm, nice one dearie. That's education in Nigeria for you. You have to cram all elements and their properties; you also have to cram all figures in a log book. This is what makes you intelligent, or so they say. But then, the "knowledge" you get through cramming usually has a short life span -- it fades away easily.

1 Like

Re: Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation by jkfugghhghjdd: 11:54am On May 23, 2017
Nice writeup

OP are you a Pharmacy student/graduate?

1 Like

Re: Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation by Kayode12345: 6:51pm On May 23, 2017
omiaruk:
*LIFE IN PHARMACY SCHOOL*

I remember when I had my first carryover in the school of pharmaceutical studies, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. I actually thought I was going to die because of the pain I was feeling. I moved around like a widow. I would hide myself in deserted buildings and cry from morning till night. For two days, I refused to eat anything.
I stopped picking my parents’ calls because I couldn't even imagine telling them that I had failed at school. So I continued to cry and starve myself. I was having a new experience in my life- that of failure. I grew up being the best in everything and was always at the top of my class effortlessly. In fact, years after I left secondary school, I met one of my teachers who asked me,
“Hope you’re still carrying on your legacy of profound academic excellence?”
And the thing with pharmacy school is that our courses are linked in such a way that failing a single course (even in your first year) can give you an automatic extra year. It doesn’t even matter if your GPA is 4.89. They are called prerequisites. We even had courses that you could only pass with an A or a B. C was a fail.
And we didn't have “resits” or summer school- a chance to stay back and rewrite those courses at the end of the semester or session when your mates are at home. Nah. You just have to wait an entire year to retake the frigging course!
When I finally spoke to my dad that first time, he said,
“I know you've never failed at anything before and this must feel like your entire world just crumbled. But you’ve to get up and try again. You'll be fine.”
Damn. Pharmacy school didn't get any easier. The lectures from morning till evening all through the week except on Sundays, the millions of tests, assignments and practicals we had to run... I watched my colleagues getting withdrawn left, right and centre. People were taking drugs, caffeine to stay awake and read through the night. One of my classmates nearly lost his mind because he was smoking marijuana just so he could keep up with his study load.
At the time, if there was any attempted suicide incident in ABU, Zaria, that person was most likely a pharmacy student. There was even a case of a guy who threw himself from the third floor of Suleiman hostel upon seeing his results.
I learnt how to cram in pharmacy school. I realized that my method of studying to learn was holding me back because all some of the lecturers wanted to see was exactly what they taught you. And there were courses you had no choice but to cram- all those diagrams, chemical structures, dates and classifications. If you’re bad at cramming in pharmacy school, you’ll fail woefully.
But then at the back of your mind, you're expected to have an understanding of all you are being taught nonetheless. Because in your final year, you would be required to remember all you have been taught from your first or second year to pass most of your courses.
What am I trying to say?
I learnt how to look failure in the eye and tell it I wasn’t backing down come what may because of ABU, Zaria. Trust me, failure was and is still one of my greatest fears. In fact it is my biggest driving force. But I learnt to turn failure into a goldmine. I allowed it to remould me and refine me. I’m stronger and better today because I know what it means to fall but not to stay down.
I know that failure can do one of two things to everyone of us- turn you into an even bigger failure or become the spring board to an even more amazing success story. I had colleagues in pharmacy school, Zaria who never recovered from their first set of carryovers. They became so overwhelmed that they had to eventually leave.
That’s why I keep saying this- the power to be almost anything you want to be lies in your mind. If you can conquer your fears, you can conquer anything. But if you already feel defeated inside of you, there’s really no way you are going to succeed at any task.
So wake up every morning with a victorious attitude, tell yourself these words as often as possible,
“I’m stronger/bigger than this challenge/
phase/pain. This challenge/phase/pain will only do one thing- make me better/
stronger.”
And then go right ahead to put in the needed effort required to achieve your goals or projects.
Never forget- the power to change your story lies in your hands...

© *Blessing Mary Ocheido!
Nice one dear.. .Pharmacy school no be beans.. ..to get awarded with B Pharm or Pharm D u have to put in everything, strength cramming understanding ,staying late into the night,jst to mention a few .Dat was the exact life we had to leave during my period of schooling at unijos Amist the cold and Jos crisis.Thank God We made it

1 Like

Re: Life In Pharmacy School : An Exhortation by Kunlexic(m): 10:48pm On Jun 04, 2017
nice and interesting topic.
I don't know pharmacy school is day challenging until I see the result pasted for last session at our faculty.... too many resit, repeat and withdrawal.
I pray God will make it easy for us.

Let's all in the pharmacy practice should meet and discuss on the thread link below
www.nairaland.com/1452911/pharmacists-pharmacy-students-interns-home/66#57046090

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Publishes Step-by-step Process Of The Admission Exercise To Tertiary Inst. / DID YOU APPLY FOR PLATINUM REASONING CONTEST? / University Of Ibadan Part Time Program Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.