Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,284 members, 7,829,647 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical (4885 Views)

Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Nissan (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:01pm On May 20, 2017
Coverage includes Lexus and Toyota
Please come back on June 1, 2017
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:23pm On Jun 17, 2017
Toyota Sienna 2006 XLE

P0171 P0174 P0420 P0430

Diagnostics: SFI System (3MZ–FE): P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175 System Too Lean
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by flossboss: 7:49pm On Nov 02, 2017
AutoElectNG:
Coverage includes Lexus and Toyota
Please come back on June 1, 2017

Hello i have a 2010 toyota corolla that has the VSC and Trac off light on on the dashboard. it was scanned and it brought a code C1290 Abnormal zero point steering angle sensor. i am told i have to do a zero point calibration to fix this Any ideas how or where this can be done?

Thanks
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by mayor2013: 8:03pm On Nov 02, 2017
flossboss:

Hello i have a 2010 toyota corolla that has the VSC and Trac off light on on the dashboard. it was scanned and it brought a code C1290 Abnormal zero point steering angle sensor. i am told i have to do a zero point calibration to fix this Any ideas how or where this can be done?

Thanks

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 8:46pm On Nov 02, 2017
flossboss:

Thanks

Seen

Will update post with an appropriate response later.

--------------------
MODIFIED BELOW
--------------------
Have been busy setting up shop so we can open to the public...but will respond to this post before the week runs out...

Flossboss...sorry for the silence
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by flossboss: 5:48pm On Dec 22, 2017
Hello sorry just seeing your response my location is anthony village Lagos. Have you set up shoo yet?
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 8:59pm On Apr 01, 2018
flossboss:
Hello sorry just seeing your response my location is anthony village Lagos. Have you set up shoo yet?

Yes.

Call me or WhatsApp me, let me give you a referral
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:11pm On Apr 01, 2018
Sometimes when an engine starts smoking... you need a root cause analysis... you also need painstaking detective work...some work cannot be done in a day, it could take days or months.

If you don't want to do or cannot afford root cause analysis...there is an easy way out...get another engine.

CAVEAT: THERE ARE SOME ENGINES FOR WHICH ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS MAKES NO SENSE BECAUSE OF THE COST OF GETTING A REPLACEMENT!

Here is a story of someone with sludge in a 2005 Toyota Sienna that the dealer was unable to fix...but the end user fixed with the help of a mechanic who knew what he was doing plus lots of patience and time.

I will post the initial story of his problem and the resolution as well as the thread the story was taken from so you can read for yourself and form your conclusions.

THE INITIAL PROBLEM:

I have a 2 1/2 year old Sienna LE with 54,500 miles on it. The engine is the 3.0L V6. I have read quite a bit about the oil sludge problem(s) on these engines and am wondering if anyone else has any issues with an '05? I change the oil myself (which is going to be an issue b/c while I wrote it all down in the maintenance book, I don't have receipts) and while I went beyond 5,000 miles on some intervals, it was never more than 7,500. The engine is now burning oil at an alarming rate (3-4 Quarts per 200 miles) and I am not driving the vehicle any more. I had noticed some build up under the oil filler cap about 15,000 miles ago, but thought little of it because there was no burning of the oil and the engine ran great (no noises, no hesitation, etc.). Now the engine is still running very quiet and little hesitation, but you can clearly see the oil going out the tailpipe in the form of thick blue smoke.

I would appreciate any insight from others. I have not had it to the dealership yet b/c the local dealer, from whom I did not purchase the vehicle, has a very poor customer service reputation...which is why I didn't buy it there. If anyone has any advice on self-repair or how to deal with Toyota to get it covered under the warranty (expires at 60,000 miles) I would be very interested.

THE SOLUTION FOUND:

So after pretty much being lambasted on this forum for not changing my oil, neglecting my maintenance, using inferiror oil, etc, etc, I finally got the appropriate focus from Toyota that this issue warranted. How you ask...by employing the services of an out of work mechanic friend who had lots of free time...and a digital camera.

Long story short, since I felt Toyota failed to back their inferior product I had to prove to them that the issue was not caused by my neglect. Toyota looked at the car and said that the sludge was my fault (poor maintenance, etc, etc) and that the engine needed new valve stem seals in order to stop smoking. Well, we proved that to be a bunch of crap.

After painstakingly researching all aspects of the oil flow systems of this engine, as well as the emissions systems, we were able to come up with the following;

Baffles in valve covers were almost completely blocked
PCV was completely blocked (Toyota never mentioned this)
Oil Control Valves (located on each side of the block just below the CAM's) were nearly blocked

As I noted in previous posts, prior to this step I had my regular mechanic do what he could to clean out the sludge. That seemed to help with the smoking a little bit, but the motor still smoked pretty badly. That is when I took it to Toyota and they said it was the valve stem seals.

Now one would logically come to this conclusion based on some of their tests (compression, etc), but let me offer another theory (based on what actually happened);

Because the baffles in the valve covers were so blocked up, as well as the PCV valve, when we pulled the top part of the engine off and looked at things like the throttle body and air intake system parts, they were all SOAKED in oil, including the air filter. This engine had no choice but to smoke because the air intake system was sucking oil into the engine.

Note here: This was not the sole source of oil consumption [I noted 1 quart every 150 miles in my original post to this forum]. Apparently Toyota pulled the rear valve cover to take a look at one point, and when they put it back on they pinched the valve cover gasket where it goes over the CAM, so oil was leaking pretty dramatically down the backside of the motor. This caused most of the oil consumption.

So here is how we fixed it (and what we told Toyota):

New valve covers
New valve cover gaskets (installed correctly)
New plugs
New PCV
New air cleaner
Removed and soaked air exchange box to remove all oil
Removed throttle body and cleaned out all oil
Blew out all vaccuum hoses to remove traces of oil
Cleaned oil control valves and reinstalled

Engine now runs WITH NO SMOKE at all and there is no oil consumption (or leaking) either.

So what did he Toyota dealer have to offer after all of this...nothing really, other than to say "Sorry about the valve cover gasket". So off we went to the local paper with the story and the photos. Sure enough, a Regional Toyota Rep called me within a day or two of being contacted by the local paper. After discussing the issue and it was agreed that the baffle being clogged in the valve cover, along with the PCV being clogged, caused the motor to pull oil through the air intake system and into the cylinders, causing it to smoke terribly. The Toyota rep said it was the first time anyone had gone to these lengths to diagnose a smoking problem and was thankful to us (whether or not that was true I dont know). Toyota has since offered to reimburse me for the parts (purchase all Toyota OEM parts online), about $600 all together, and said they would make a note of what we did to help dealers diagnose a similar situation.

Something to keep in mind:
Each situation is different. I was lucky that the sludge did not cause more damage to the engine internally (e.g. worn rings, bad valve stem seals, etc) and that I had the time and resources to methodically diagnose the problem, which not everyone has. The whole process took over three months of pulling the top part of the engine apart and examining it closely, piece-by-piece. We originally took this approach in an effort to avoid the more costly repair, if at all possible. We knew there was a chance that after all of the work that the valve stem seals could still be bad and would need replacement, which would cost about $2000 (we knew the compression was good because Toyota said it was, and so did our own wet/dry tests).

When we started to dig in and began painting a picture of what was happening with the air flow, oil flow and mixtures of each into the cylinders, it became clear that the engine had no choice but to smoke. I am happy I was able to get the van back on the road at 70,000 miles without it looking like a mosquito control device...a fact I think my wife is far happier with than I, but not everyone will be so lucky. We can now start the car at soccer games and not feel embarrassed by the huge plume of smoke hanging over the crowd!

SOURCE: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/274-sienna-2nd-generation-2004-2010/227571-2005-sienna-oil-sludge-3.html
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by thebigkendo(m): 9:34pm On Apr 01, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Yes.

But if you are in Lagos then I would recommend you get in touch with either GAZZUZZ or LeJeun3 because I am based in Abuja

To the best of my knowledge Lejeuns handles mostly land/range rovers

Great to have you back.. I sure missed your detailed & methodically approach
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:44pm On Apr 01, 2018
thebigkendo:

To the best of my knowledge Lejeuns handles mostly land/range rovers

Great to have you back.. I sure missed your detailed & methodically approach

I am humbled.

Noted...your observations on my recommendations with thanks
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by Tochiokoye(m): 2:42pm On Apr 03, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Yes.

But if you are in Lagos then I would recommend you get in touch with either GAZZUZZ or LeJeun3 because I am based in Abuja
where in Abuja are u based bro?
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by Whynow(m): 2:48pm On Apr 03, 2018
flossboss:

Thanks
I can do it for you. I have a Toyota techstream SW. If you are in Gbagada weekend, Or you are lucky I return home early before 7pm
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:54pm On Apr 03, 2018
Whynow:

I can do it for you. I have a Toyota techstream SW. If you are in Gbagada weekend, Or you are lucky I return home early before 7pm

From Torque to Techstream...quite a leap of faith...why did you make that investment? Did my posts help? From your previous posts, you are not into the service divide of automotive business...hence the question...if you do not mind sharing?
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:58pm On Apr 03, 2018
Tochiokoye:
where in Abuja are u based bro?

Wuye District, Abuja... only attend to vehicles on appointment...chat me up let's schedule a meet
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by Whynow(m): 5:03pm On Apr 03, 2018
AutoElectNG:

From Torque to Techstream...quite a leap of faith...why did you make that investment? Did my posts help? From your previous posts, you are not into the service divide of automotive business...hence the question...if you do not mind sharing?
I invest in tools . You need to see my my tool box and range of handy tools
I had Honda HDS diagnostic when I had my Honda Pilot.
I scan my vehicles and direct technicians on what to do.
I Got the techstream from Amazon and installed it on a virtual machine running window XP. So You know I am techy.
Hope this helps
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 5:07pm On Apr 03, 2018
Whynow:

People like me invest in tools .
I had Honda HDS when I had my Honda Pilot.
I scan my vehicles and direct technicians on what to do
Respect!
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by Whynow(m): 5:09pm On Apr 03, 2018
Whynow:

I invest in tools . You need to see my my tool box and range of handy tools
I owned a Honda HDS diagnostic when I had my Honda Pilot.
I scan my vehicles and direct technicians on what to do.
I Got the techstream from Amazon and installed it on a virtual machine running window XP. So You know I am techy.
I am a car enthsiats ...I spend countless hrs watching car reviews and DIYs
Hope this helps
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by Whynow(m): 5:16pm On Apr 03, 2018
Recently I reprogrammed new TPMS sensors on my lexus using the TIS software.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 1:22pm On Apr 27, 2018
Post your vehicle problem brand-specific, top 3 most liked problem cars will get repaired for free.

Labor and Diagnosis free.

Cost of parts, materials and supplies required to effect the repair will be borne by owner.

Owner is free to supply parts, materials, and supplies though.

Contest closes in 21 days.

Repair process will be posted here.

This is a promotional offer.

If the vehicle does not run and drive, free offer does not apply, instead a diagnosis and labor fee of 100,000.00 maximum applies. Owner free to supply parts, materials, and supplies needed to effect the repair.

Problems that did not get the most likes but are sufficiently intriguing may be considered.

Abused vehicles welcome.

Over to you.

Offer for Abuja residents only or those outside Abuja willing to bring the vehicle to Abuja.

Terms and conditions apply
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 8:41am On Apr 29, 2018
Bring your abused vehicles, let's give them a new lease of life!

AutoElectNG:
Post your vehicle problem brand-specific, top 3 most liked problem cars will get repaired for free.

Cost of parts, materials and supplies required to effect the repair will be borne by owner.

If the vehicle does not run and drive, free offer does not apply, instead a diagnosis and labor fee of 100,000.00 maximum applies. Owner free to supply parts, materials, and supplies needed to effect the repair.

Problems that did not get the most likes but are sufficiently intriguing may be considered.

Abused vehicles welcome.

Over to you.

Offer for Abuja residents only or those outside Abuja willing to bring the vehicle to Abuja.

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 1:44am On May 07, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Abused vehicles welcome.

Over to you.

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by Gboliwe: 6:51am On May 07, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Bring your abused vehicles, let's give them a new lease of life!

More like 'daunting' car issues. undecided

Issokay, it's noted. I wish I am in Abuja I would have utilised this offer
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 7:13am On May 07, 2018
Gboliwe:

More like 'daunting' car issues. undecided

Issokay, it's noted. I wish I am in Abuja I would have utilised this offer

Except that these would be resolved conclusively smiley
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
A tour of Toyota's Factory in Kentucky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q_GEHlEIuE
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:30pm On Jun 12, 2018
Toyota is not complex...Toyota is simple...the automotive industry is a competitive one...Toyota cannot be left behind...if others go techy...Toyota will go tech...Toyota will not go tech...Toyota has gone tech already...Give your state-of-the-art Toyota's to roadside repair shops at your peril.

Read this link https://www.collisionrepairmag.com/sponsored-articles/20070-future-of-repair from the first word to the last word and then tell me if it is not suicide to take your 2018 Toyota to a roadside mechanic who is not aware of 10% of the new technology in a Toyota.

Quotes to ponder

Toyota introduced the all-new 2018 C-HR and launched a completely redesigned 2018 Camry. Lexus also added the 2018 LC to its lineup, and an entirely transformed 2018 LS will go on sale in Canada early next year. These new models were built using the Toyota New Global Architecture and the Global Architecture-Luxury platforms. This new approach to platform and powertrain design uses ultra-high strength steel for the body and lightweight materials (aluminum and carbon fibre) on select models to reduce weight, increase body rigidity, deliver superior handling and more dynamic performance. In models such as the Lexus LC, the use of self-piercing riveting allows these different metals to be securely joined where traditional welding methods are unsuitable in place of spot-welding.

Almost our entire lineup of 2018 models are equipped with standard Toyota Safety Sense or Lexus Safety System+ packages, which may include active safety features such as Pre-Collision System (with Pedestrian Detection), Lane Departure Alert, Automatic High Beams, and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.

Several safety features found in Toyota/Lexus vehicles will require calibration, initialization or even a test drive after a repair to ensure proper operation.

Newer vehicles are being repaired using techniques and procedures that may have been suitable five to 10 years ago, but may no longer apply to today’s vehicles, especially with the introduction of materials such as high-strength steels, aluminum and carbon fibre.

Just a few years ago windshield replacement was a straightforward repair. Today, the windshield can have a heads-up display imbedded in the glass and mounted cameras that form part of the advanced safety systems. As a result of these complex features, Toyota only supports the use of Genuine Toyota/Lexus parts for repair. The camera, once removed and re-installed, requires calibration using Toyota/Lexus scan tools, Techstream, and special targets. If proper calibration of the camera is not performed, it’s possible that the Toyota Safety Sense/Lexus Safety Systems+ systems may give false or inaccurate warnings and not operate as originally designed.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by empron(m): 3:34pm On Jun 12, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Toyota is not complex...Toyota is simple...the automotive industry is a competitive one...Toyota cannot be left behind...if others go techy...Toyota will go tech...Toyota will not go tech...Toyota has gone tech already...Give your state-of-the-art Toyota's to roadside repair shops at your peril.

Read this link https://www.collisionrepairmag.com/sponsored-articles/20070-future-of-repair from the first word to the last word and then tell me if it is not suicide to take your 2018 Toyota to a roadside mechanic who is not aware of 10% of the new technology in a Toyota.

Quotes to ponder

you are right.Once diagnosed Lexus 570
NO crank and no start issues the ECM failed to communicate to scanner through OBDll.I have to communicate through ABS via CAN network.At the end we discovered software in ECM is corrupt.Toyota and Lexus of today are more complex due to introduction of different modules/sensors .Technical skills,Techstream and professional scanner will do the job.
Following bumper to bumper
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:08pm On Jun 13, 2018
In the workshop...
Toyota Corolla 2008 with massive oil consumption....
1 liter per week, 4 liters a month...
distance covered in week 600KM, distance covered in a month 2,400KM
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:55pm On Jun 13, 2018
Factory data specifies

1 U.S. Quart per 750 miles which is equivalent to

0.946353 liters per 1207.008 kilometers
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:07pm On Jun 13, 2018
Scheduled for month end a 2000 Toyota Avalon in need in extensive/general overhaul
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by acadollar(m): 4:36am On Jun 14, 2018
Hi
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 5:37am On Jun 14, 2018
acadollar popst=68463196:
Hi
Hello
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 5:07am On Jun 16, 2018
Toyota is simple crowd...Toyota is not complex to repair crowd

As at 2016, Toyota had already set in motions plans to turn the common Corolla into a complex machine

Yet more sensors are going to be installed on the Toyota Corolla.

Purpose of those sensors? To enable automatic braking systems.

More sensors? More points of failure in the event of a collision.

More sensors? More stuff to repair or replace as well as conduct pre- and post- scans during the collision repair.

One more marque that the uneducated auto technician had better not try to repair

(1) (2) (Reply)

JDM Toyota Century / Feedback On Rad Autoworks / Top 10 Car Dealers In Nigeria You Can Rely On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.