Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,656 members, 7,851,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:42 PM

Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical (4911 Views)

Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Nissan (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 12:59pm On Jun 29, 2018
Collision repair in Nigeria is monkey business.

Got pictures to back up my claim.

I think we need to introduce collision repair classes to our curriculum and let the public know what signs to look out for when buying vehicles that have been involved in accidents.

Specimen vehicle is a Lexusus ES330 that kills batteries overnight.

Research indicates the vehicle has been involved in two frontal impact accidents.

Repair is more than just cosmetics, repair also has to be electrical and computerized.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:14am On Jun 30, 2018
Collision repair without connecting airbag sensors to vehicle frame and air bag light blinking on the dashboard is that a proper repair?
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:41am On Jul 03, 2018
The issue of consulting factory documentation before making repairs is contentious.

Here is Toyota's expressly stated position:

Verify open recalls on vehicles prior to performing repairs.

Confirm applicable open Special Service Campaigns (SSCs) or Safety Recalls (SRs)

Confirm also if it is a salvage vehicle.

Deny New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage for Salvage titles.

Doing all the above requires access to factory documentation.

For a repair to meet with the standards set by the vehicle manufacturer, it has to begin and if care is not taken, end with factory documentation.

That is how it is done in the West.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:42pm On Jul 16, 2018
Toyota Aygo with multiple codes

P0420
P0562
P0808
P0907
P0917
U0100

Symptoms inability to change gears

Vehicle keeps switching off

Details and pictures later....
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2018
Wikipedia is not the most authoritative source but who cares, we are not writing a scholarly paper for submission to a peer-reviewed journal

For our purposes, it will do just fine

Workshop pictures (main course) on the way...these are just what they are appetizers

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:19am On Jul 17, 2018
What is the pedigree of this vehicle? Let the VIN report speak

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2018
Previous repair work had made the OBD II port inaccessible so we had to do some invasive surgery to get at it.

Why repair a vehicle and tuck away the OBD II port so it cannot be reached normally? cry

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by OShepherd: 5:54pm On Jul 21, 2018
BRB
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 5:43pm On Jul 22, 2018
Blatant copy and paste with modifications of the words of Protech, a member of ToyotaNation:

For a good number of years now all cars have gone to multiplexing systems. That is, instead of all the signals that the engine and the transmission both need to operate being duplicated by both, the signals are put on the digital "CAN bus (Central Area Network...or maybe Controller, I can't remember)" that is attached to all the pertinent control units and only those units that have need of the signals pull them off. Naturally, all these computers talking to each other and swapping information is monitored and if the communication breaks down anywhere, a code preceded by a 'U" is recorded in all the affected control units.

For example, the transmission control module (TCM) relies on the engine control module (ECM) for information on throttle control, engine load, driver demands, etc. When it loses contact with the ECM, it doesn't know what to do and can drive very erratically, which is what you experienced. The problem is that I don't think the protocol for reading and diagnosing CAN communication is included in OBDII freedom of information, and most scanners will not communicate with the appropriate modules.

Although you may only have a pin or two that have a poor connection, it is a situation that should not be taken lightly or ignored. After all, other control units on the CAN system include air bags, ABS brakes, steering.... you get the picture.

Because of the multiplexing, if a code sets in the ECM, the ECM shuts down communication. Since it can't trust its own signals, it is not going to pass them on. When it shuts down, the others, notably the ABS (Traction and VSC included) will automatically set codes, turn on the fault lights and quit working until the codes are erased. These will come on EVERY time the CEL is on.

This is in respect of the DTC U0100 code.

DTC Name:
Lost Communication with ECM/PCM "A"

DTC Description:
The transmission control ECU and ECM communicate with each other via the CAN communication line.

DTC Detection condition:
No communication with the ECM (1 trip detection logic)

DTC Symptoms:
1. Gear does not change
2. It is only possible to drive 1st and reverse gears after vehicle stops

If you are a CAN system newbie, this video should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqLDpHsxvf8

Previous posts that deal with OBD II, trips and trip detection logic

http://nairaland.com/search?q="one+trip+detection+logic"&board=78 applies the definition to live vehicle problems

https://www.nairaland.com/3661728/on-board-diagnostics-obd-ii-questions/3#54620232 Defines the term trip in OBD II terms

The client was told to either replace his transmission or allow then to install a transmission for another vehicle in his vehicle, can't recall the name of the particular model of Toyota

A study of the factory documentation does not indicate that the problem lies with the transmission, it instead suggests that the following trouble areas be analyzed:

Five possible reasons and areas to check:

1. that one of the wires is cut and so signals cannot travel between both

2. that any two of the wires has been bridged and so the signals have become confused

3.that we have a bad Engine brainbox (ECM) in technical speak

4. that we have a bad Transmission control ECU (T-ECU)

5. That there is a fault within the CAN communication system components

Summary:The transmission control ECU and ECM communicate with each other via the CAN communication line BUT THAT that communication has been interrupted.

So it will next be necessary to disconnect the Engine ECU and the transmission control ECU connectors and then check the resistance of the wiring.

If that is where the problem is..then the wires and or the wiring harness will need to be repaired

If it is not, then ...it will mean the problem is with the transmission control ECU which will have to be replaced

If that still does not solve the problem, the final procedure is to replace the Engine ECU
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by tolugar: 10:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Coverage includes Lexus and Toyota
Please come back on June 1, 2017

pls where can i get diagnostic tool
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:36pm On Jul 22, 2018
tolugar:

pls where can i get diagnostic tool

Which of them in particular?
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by tolugar: 10:39pm On Jul 22, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Which of them in particular?

if you have pic let me see. i drive toyota corolla 2010
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 11:23pm On Jul 22, 2018
tolugar:

if you have pic let me see. i drive toyota corolla 2010

Could we discuss your needs on WhatsApp, see my number in my signature!
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by tolugar: 11:56pm On Jul 22, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Could we discuss your needs on WhatsApp, see my number in my signature!

its not connecting pls add me

zero seven zero three zero two nine seven eight two seven
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:14pm On Jul 25, 2018
Some Toyota Statistics to munch on

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:44pm On Jul 25, 2018
Toyota Aygo Repair

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:45pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR1

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:46pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR2

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:48pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR3 - ECM CONNECTOR

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:49pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR 4 - ECM (DIFFERENT VIEWS)

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:51pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR 5 - ECM LOCATION IN ENGINE BAY

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:54pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR 6 - MORE ECM LOCATION PICTURES

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:56pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR 7 - TC-ECM LOCATION PICTURES

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:58pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR 8 - MORE TC-ECM LOCATION PICTURES

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:00pm On Jul 25, 2018
TAR 8 - How the fusebox looks versus how it ought to look

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:50pm On Jul 25, 2018
Sometimes it is not enough to view the data on a computer, at such times we have to go analog like the two pictures below show

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2018
P3001 code on a Sienna?
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 8:25am On Oct 03, 2020
If you have a Toyota Sienna 2004 - 2010, take the sensible precaution to replace the stock radiator around 140,000 miles (whether or not you have an issue) or risk losing the transmission which is a vastly more expensive fix in time, labour and money.

This is due to corrosion resulting in the comingling of coolant and transmission fluid, transmission contamination and failure.

Toyota isn't perfect after all, all brands have issues, just that some might have more issues than others.

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A New Car / Innoson: Do Not Change Your Logo Or Accept Any Logo Proposal / Golf 4 Automatic Transmission Problem Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.