Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? (38182 Views)

Prophet Oladele Genesis Gives Widow Church Offering, Salary / How The Bible Shows That Abortion Is The Murder Of A Living Thing / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 21, 2017
malvisguy212:
I just encourage you to stay alive and don't die, so why are full of anger ? are you afraid to die and face the reality ? I really admire your faith, you are strong, very strong indeed. are you so sure that God does not exist ?

And the winner of the dumbest post goes to
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Mouthgag: 4:48pm On May 21, 2017
K1famous:
In reality, you have made a very good point which require a wise words. Some years back when i travel to isreal for research, someone from research team ask this type of question, and there was a priest in temple at jerusalem, who said ' he think 'God has raise heaven seven times more than the way it was from the first creation''. He said, God in his Mighty definately understand what the power of unity can be, so HE wouldn't have been border if HE knows man can't achieve it. GOD RAISE HEAven seven times high, and He bring up dissorder in language so that we all can reason in different way.
That priest must be a RETÂRD.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by defemz(m): 4:55pm On May 21, 2017
megasoul:
I usually don't comment on these kind of topics but I'll make an exception today.
IMO, heaven is a spiritual place and earth is a physical place. Heaven doesn't exist in the same realm as earth.
Again, let's assume heaven is actually up, that means earth should be enveloped inside of heaven, because it's a proven fact that the earth is spherical. As a result, up on one point of the earth is actually not same direction as up on another point. I mean an imaginary line drawn perpendicularly from Asia points to different direction from another drawn perpendicularly from Europe. All I'm trying to say is that in reality there is no common UP for mankind. People living on the greenwich meridian which is longitude 0" are standing at a right angle (90 degrees) relative to people living on longitude 90". It's the force of gravity that makes it possible for us to stand upright on the surface of the earth, and the brain gives us a sense of standing upright.
So if Heaven is actually up, then it has to be up around the entire earth just like earth's atmosphere and in that case we would be inside of it.

Wow, this analysis is deep and have scientific backing. It actually throw some doubt on the biblical story. The word "up" is relative to where you are on the earth surface. It saddens me deeply when folks come and be giving gibberish explanations to what they clearly dont understand. This story if it is true, is nothing but an allegory. I am a Civil/Structural engineer, i can tell you boldly that the load that will be created by such gigantic structure will be too much for the soil on which the structure would be standing. The failure of such structure at a no distant point is therefore inevitable. God clearly understood all these my explanation and wouldnt have been bothered by the people's attempts.

One thing is clear, both Islam and Christianity does not, by any stretch of imagination capture the true nature and extent of the being called God. Each world religion sees a part of him he chose to reveal to them. it will therefore be a great insult to localise the being called God to the myopic parlance of Christianity, Islam or any other religion for that matter. God by virtue of his existence transcends such. He created all and is for all.

3 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Mouthgag: 5:01pm On May 21, 2017
[s]
fratermathy:
Don't take these things literally. They are allegories. Meant to symbolise something else.

Probably, the act of building a tower symbolises man's endless desire and curiousity. This particular chapter the op asked about deals with the myth behind multilingualism.

The stories in the Bible are mostly like literature. They are meant to be interpreted. It's just sad that many Christians take them literally.
[/s]
You're sick!
When something appears silly in your Bible, IT IS A MYTH AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LITERALLY. Whenever is sounds cool, the Lord is good...

Nonsense confused people

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Mouthgag: 5:03pm On May 21, 2017
olafum1:
Even till date, scientists confirms that the entire universe continue to expand. At that time, the universe/earth is small And they can actually build a tower that reaches heaven
Lol grin
How years ago was that? 3 billion years ago?
You're a deluded and confused hypocrite.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 21, 2017
Nofuckgiven:
Atheists have infiltrated the thread already! When will they prove God doesn't exist?? undecided

When you can prove God does exist

and tell your brothers to stop disturbing my peace with their evangelism , if you believe in a sky daddy please do keep it to yourself.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Mouthgag: 5:04pm On May 21, 2017
ITbomb:
It is called figurative expression.
The passage means building it to reach the skies ie to reach the clouds .

Even buildings today are doing that, in places of high humidity, you can touch the cloud floating pass the high raise building
And how has this answered the questions?
Confused fellows
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by DLuciano: 5:05pm On May 21, 2017
Deicide:

ever heard about abiogenesis b4? i think you shoud pay more attention to ur science class or are you an art student?
don't be deceived by science, they are limited in knowledge. God is the omniscient, ever heard of that?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Mouthgag: 5:07pm On May 21, 2017
[s]
mykel25:
It is simple! They can never get to heaven even rockets didn't get to heaven rather space..... God knew they have a strong WILL and they when they build to a level it ll collapse n end up killing majority if not all...so he scattered their language because he won't wanna start creation of man all again
[/s]
Another nonsense grin
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Olamilekan08(m): 5:08pm On May 21, 2017
Akoja360:
how possible is building the pyramids today? yet they were built way older than anything in history.the level of technology of the acient civilization would foreva remain a mystery to us....

You spoke my mind.

I believe the op couldn't see the possibility of the ancient constructing such a building (or even a skyscraper).

Maybe when he takes his time to do some research on these mind blogging pyramids of the ancient he might have some reorientation of the ability (architecturally and otherwise) of these men of old that is still making experts in the 21st century feel backward in terms of technology.

3 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by grandstar(m): 5:11pm On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Genesis 11:4 to 7. This chapters talk about God not being pleased with the sons of men for wanting to build a tower that would get to heaven. Hence, He caused them to have different languages and casued confusion in their midst.
How realistic is it to build a tower to heaven?
Is heaven up?
Could the tower be as high as the Burj Khalifa?
Could the tower go as high as space ships which shoots up far into the skies?
Don't the world have a common language now?
Has anyone seen heaven today with all the latest technology available?

As a Christian, we sometimes wonder about certain passages in the bible.

So many questions to ponder on. The reason for this thread is to get explanations from bible 'scholars'. The floor is open.

First and foremost, mankind wasn't as advanced as we are today and probably thought it was possible.

Why was God against the tower? It would frustrate the command at Genesis 1:28,"Be fruitful and become many. Fill the earth and subdue it."

That tower would gave frustrated that command to "fill" the earth.

Most importantly, is the story even true? Does it have any element of truth in it? Does it not sound like a fairytale?

Please google ,"deluge myth all over the world"

Google "origin of different language myths"

You'd marvel at what you find!!

Thank me later
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Deicide: 5:17pm On May 21, 2017
DLuciano:
don't be deceived by science, they are limited in knowledge. God is the omniscient, ever heard of that?
of course, science is limited it doesn't know everything that's why we have things like research you say God[Yahweh] is omniscient right? let's look at the definition first...
Omniscience
/ɒmˈnɪʃəns/,[1] mainly in religion, is the capacity to know everything that there is to know.

Now tell me if God[yahweh] knows everything doesn't that violate your freewill?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Yeligray(m): 5:22pm On May 21, 2017
The power of unity
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Deilluminator(m): 5:33pm On May 21, 2017
malvisguy212:
when God created man, He command man to be fruitful and multiply the earth. alright, instead of multiplying the earth, the people are planing to settled down in one place :

Genesis 11 read;
"And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, LEST WE BE SCATTERED ABROAD UPON THE FACE OF THE WHOLE EARTH. And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builde"

clearly written, they were not plaining to multiply the earth, Instead the were plaining to settle down In one place. and also, the people say, " let us make name for ourselves" is this not pride and boastfulness ? so God bring them on there knell.
Not to multiply the earth but multiply in number and fill the earth please

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by kjhova(m): 5:41pm On May 21, 2017
Obviously the creator of the "tower of babel" legend intended it to explain the obvious differences in language and culture among humans.

It is quite plausible that the legend didn't emanate from the nomadic Hebrews but rather from Mesopotamia where the story is set. This is likely so as there is evidence of similar stories among other surrounding cultures.

To a modern fellow, who has received even a modest level of education, it should sound absurd to think that a god who created the entire universe should squabble about bronze age men attempting to build a skyscraper.

Some have said the construction was not the point of god's issues but rather the likelihood that these folks will fail to spread out to cover the Earth. This point is DOA, if you know what I mean. What building, with what tools, could bronze age men have built that would have continued to house the entire humanity continuously without the need for migration at some point? Also, the people involved in this construction couldn't have been the entire Earth population. This story is situated at about 6,000yrs ago in the Euphrates valley and at this time, the upper kingdom in Egypt had started building pyramids and the Chinese already had a great kingdom! So what exactly was god afraid of again?

There is no veracity to this story as there isn't for much of the stories and poetic renditions you read in both the kuran and the bible. You either accept these faiths blindly or you retain your sanity besides them.

2 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 21, 2017
Hi,

Kindly check this guy out via YouTube (Rob Skiba). He's a researcher and believer, but l would implore you to check out this link too, in regards to what actually took place in the garden of Eden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jloDGoqK3p8

All the characters or beings that were mentioned in "Clash of the Titans" actually existed, as a result of 2 classes of fallen angels ( Watchers + Satan/his cohorts) mating with earthly women. The Bible called them "Men of Reknown"....Rob Skiba had done an extensive research into these questions you've raised. You may also do yours, provided you've got the time. God bless you!
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by jnrremedy(m): 6:13pm On May 21, 2017
Jetjacky:
how are you certain that those who claim there is space, actually do go to space. Do your research, Google proofs of flat earth, Google proofs of spherical Earth, Google Nasa lies, and Google more.
sorry to digress a little bit but I just need to answer this

if u actually used ur phone ( brought about by the same principles of science that confirmed those scientific facts u are refuting) then u are an hypocrite. what u just said is an unintelligible jargons
ur reasoning/assertion assumed science has been a big lie all along and if that is tru then u should as well throw away ur phone cos its the same principle of science that made u write that fallacious statement that everybody on earth can read and see

pls sir don't rubbish the body of science with that naive and unintelligible conspiracy idea

but this is serious ooo how on earth will someone believe all those jargons. the google u even referred to won't be functional if ur unintelligible claim is tru
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by iukpe: 7:29pm On May 21, 2017
prince9851:
is it David u are calling nigger?

....forgive him, must be modern day figure of speech. Those days speech was divine..
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by samuelezekiel(m): 7:51pm On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

And when you wonder, you should ask the Holy Spirit for direction and wisdom, that thy faith not be tossed into the sea.

Now, based on what the Holy Spirit told me this morning, technology back then was much more advanced than we know today. Men were much strong -- Samson killed a lion with bare hands, and over 1500 Philistines all alone. The other nigga David was so bad-ass, all the mkpeke for Israel were singing his name "Saul has killed a 1000, David 10000". Remember the Prophet that ran and overtook a horse. What about Moses that divided the Red Sea? In those days, the Holy Spirt spread knowledge and power for men to do exploits.

So that's how they built a rock tower that almost reached heaven.

God had every right to be scared. Over-familiarity brings contempt.

Edit: the Bible is fiction. Nothing concern black man concern Abraham and im ppl.

2nd Edit: Guys, I was being sacarstic. embarassed

3rd Edit.: Going to become a pastor. Mumu plenty for this country.. Smartphones and really dumb people.

The Holy Spirit wasn't operational as at then, God the father was at work then.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sonofluc1fer: 7:52pm On May 21, 2017
samuelezekiel:

The Holy Spirit wasn't operational as at then, God the father was at work then.
Holie Spirit you mean?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by samuelezekiel(m): 7:56pm On May 21, 2017
In those days God was closer to man, God lives in heaven and man believed that the skies we see is were God actually leaves but the sky isn't heaven... God divided them and caused confusion among them because whatever man proposed in his heart, as long as they are in unity, they will accomplish it.
Kind of like Nigeria if only we can be in unity then and only then can there be progress, the enemies know this that's why they have sowed division amongst us.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mykel25(m): 8:01pm On May 21, 2017
Mouthgag:
[s][/s]
Another nonsense grin

No likes for your post this showed that u even lack d sense to discern if my analysis is sensible.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mykel25(m): 8:04pm On May 21, 2017
sexy74:

My problem with you is that you don't read instruction or you lack understanding, read the Bible portion well.
You talk as if they will just stabilize like that, remember such has never happened before and how easy will it be for you to get people that understand your language and have the requisite skill to continue the project.

I wasn't talking about continuation of project.. D person I quoted mentioned sin... What m saying is that destabilizing them on language ground won't guarantee them bn a saint
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by nobleblood: 8:08pm On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

And when you wonder, you should ask the Holy Spirit for direction and wisdom, that thy faith not be tossed into the sea.

Now, based on what the Holy Spirit told me this morning, technology back then was much more advanced than we know today. Men were much strong -- Samson killed a lion with bare hands, and over 1500 Philistines all alone. The other nigga David was so bad-ass, all the mkpeke for Israel were singing his name "Saul has killed a 1000, David 10000". Remember the Prophet that ran and overtook a horse. What about Moses that divided the Red Sea? In those days, the Holy Spirt spread knowledge and power for men to do exploits.

Edit: the Bible is fiction. Nothing concern black man concern Abraham and im ppl.

3rd Edit.: Going to become a pastor. Mumu plenty for this country.. Smartphones and really dumb people.

Ur a wankstar.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by DLuciano: 8:10pm On May 21, 2017
Deicide:

of course, science is limited it doesn't know everything that's why we have things like research you say God[Yahweh] is omniscient right? let's look at the definition first...
Omniscience
/ɒmˈnɪʃəns/,[1] mainly in religion, is the capacity to know everything that there is to know.

Now tell me if God[yahweh] knows everything doesn't that violate your freewill?
My friend, God who made the heavens and the earth is the omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, His knowledge is unsearchable. He is the beginning and ending, He is the only wise, He is the ancient of days. Worship him today all ye that has breath. Logic, philosophy, intellect and traditions of men cannot explain or give you knowledge of God, except you surrender your logics and all of that and believe that God created you and that He is the Almighty, and accept Jesus Christ His son as Lord and Savior, then shall you receive the light of God and be delivered from gross darkness and every lies of the devil.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by onemmanuel(m): 8:39pm On May 21, 2017
irrelevant questions

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by alchemist13: 8:54pm On May 21, 2017
Jetjacky:
how are you certain that those who claim there is space, actually do go to space. Do your research, Google proofs of flat earth, Google proofs of spherical Earth, Google Nasa lies, and Google more.
Who let this one out of the madhouse?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Sman37(m): 8:58pm On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

Abeg stop lien which spirit talk to u the only spirit bibles mean is angels that are sent to prophets and some verse he spirit mean prophets in the bibles!!
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Bonimoney(m): 11:52pm On May 21, 2017
xcuse me admin...

why would you allow some deluded ingrate and ass lifting fools calld the muslims to contribute on Christians related matters.

And the christians must denouce their faith before contributing to muslim related issue. I am sensing foul play here. Is the admin a muslim?
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nobody: 12:00am On May 22, 2017
Tortoise shell was originally smooth.
In those days, he (tortoise) used to attend parties with birds in the sky beyond. grin
he bleeped up on a particular occasion and the birds took back the feathers donated to him.
he had no option than to jump from the sky
Mr tortoise shell was shattered (he was lucky to be alive) grin
his wife being a plastic surgeon gathered the pieces and fix them.
that is the story behind the rough shell broda tortoise carries today.

Those who care can go back and read the story, "tower of babel".

See if there is any difference.

I am sure if the above fable find its way into the bible or any sacred (as claimed), ... your guess is as good as mine.

To be a fool, you need to be educated.

keep your whatever religion, but never let go your sense of reasoning.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by SHISUI(m): 12:55am On May 22, 2017
emmayayodeji:

You cant just say random things like this
At least attach evidence or reasonable proof

sorry I meant they thought the heavens was a lot closer back then
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sexy74(m): 6:45am On May 22, 2017
mykel25:

I wasn't talking about continuation of project.. D person I quoted mentioned sin... What m saying is that destabilizing them on language ground won't guarantee them bn a saint
OK noted my brother, sorry for the misconception by me. Do have a wonderful day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Juju Found At The Front Of CAC Campus Fellowship FUOYE (pic) / Pastor Adeboye: "God Created Adam And Eve, Not Adam And Steve" / Please, No Sex Before Marriage Is NEVER A Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.