Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers (101862 Views)

The Salary Of An Average Nigerian Soldier Will Shock You / What Is The Highest Monthly Salary Of Someone You Know In Nigeria? / MTN NG Salary Structure: Salary Of MTN Nigeria Telecommunications Plc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Nobody: 7:40am On May 21, 2017
lonelydora:
Why won't the sale of handouts and settlements for a good grade be on the increase of this is what they earn? Nigeria is just a Zoo. Somebody please post that pix of Legislators salary.

So a whole Professor don't even earn half of a Graduate trainee salary in Oil companies or NLNG?

And We dey respect them like a demigod.
When you make your argument, you should do it in context. On the civil service scale, this is comparatively one of the best for career jobs.
Legislation isnt a career job , hence no basis for comparison.
Oil and gas, telecoms etc aren't in the civil service. If you wanna compare, you should use the salary scale of private universities like Covenant, AUN, etc in which school fees is equivalent to a lecturer II annual salary.
Do you know that the lecturers' salary scale far outstrips that of the medical doctors?

7 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Partnerbiz(f): 7:46am On May 21, 2017
MissCuppy:
You are joking right cos lecturing job ain't easy.
That's the easiest.
Some of my lecturers lecture 2 or 3 times a week.
An hour lecture each. He does that for a month cos another will take over next month.

So they lecture like 12 times in a month for 1 hr each and thats for the semester. The rest of the 3 months he does other side jobs like consultancy. Exam comes he marks finish.
Those at the law school lectures once a week for just 18 weeks a year. Exam comes they mark and that's all.

Remember, they use the rest of the day as they wish. They also use the vacations, strike etc.
Nne its damn easy and also very secure.

1 Like

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by birmingham04: 7:49am On May 21, 2017
Let us do this simple calculation. In UK a cleaner will earn 7 pounds per hours. 7 pounds X 10 hrs per day it will give us 70 Pounds.70 pound per day X 5 days a week it will give us 350 pounds a week. 350 pounds a week x 4 week it will give us 1,400 pound per month. 1,400 pound per month X 12 months it will give you 16,800 pound per annum . 16,800 pounds X 520 Naira it will give you 8,736.000 naira No matter the tax you piad the cleaner in UK will earn more than nigeria prof. Remember medical is free in UK for any ailment and the cleaner in UK will go to the same supermarket with UK Prime Minister. The cleaner can afford to eat balance diet 7 days a week.The cleaner can afford to pay for home mortgage if his credit score is good. Shame to nigeria govt. If you have the opportunity pls leave that country call nigeria if you are hardworking you will thank God at the end.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by tetula123(m): 7:53am On May 21, 2017
dfrost:

Bros I hope say you no dey plan become lecturer with all the analysis wey you give up there? I don dey fear you ooo.
boss na my number one plan be that o
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by ceelog(m): 8:14am On May 21, 2017
frenchwine:

When you make your argument, you should do it in context. On the civil service scale, this is comparatively one of the best for career jobs.
Legislation isnt a career job , hence no basis for comparison.
Oil and gas, telecoms etc aren't in the civil service. If you wanna compare, you should use the salary scale of private universities like Covenant, AUN, etc in which school fees is equivalent to a lecturer II annual salary.
Do you know that the lecturers' salary scale far outstrips that of the medical doctors?

Bros your last statement is not true especially for medical doctors on federal salary scale. A consultant rakes like 600 to 700k a month.

You guys will shout when you see the salaries and allowances of staff of NDIC and CBN (govt workers too)

7 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by starziod(m): 8:17am On May 21, 2017
AlphaT1:

Well, lecturing isn't bad but if you are going into it for money, get ready to be frustrated! I left lecturing (in a first grade federal university) for something else and I am not regretting, though I would still go back someday.
OP, not every profession begins as graduate assistant, I started as an assistant lecturer. My senior colleagues (profs and PhDs) almost 'dried me up' with tasks; they will send me to administer test on their behalf, give me hundreds of scripts to mark overnight, I was having sleepless nights every day and getting more frustrated!

How much do graduate Assistant earn?

1 Like

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Nobody: 8:17am On May 21, 2017
birmingham04:
Let us do this simple calculation. In UK a cleaner will earn 7 pounds per hours. 7 pounds X 10 hrs per day it will give us 70 Pounds.70 pound per day X 5 days a week it will give us 350 pounds a week. 350 pounds a week x 4 week it will give us 1,400 pound per month. 1,400 pound per month X 12 months it will give you 16,800 pound per annum . 16,800 pounds X 520 Naira it will give you 8,736.000 naira No matter the tax you piad the cleaner in UK will earn more than nigeria prof. Remember medical is free in UK for any ailment and the cleaner in UK will go to the same supermarket with UK Prime Minister. The cleaner can afford to eat balance diet 7 days a week.The cleaner can afford to pay for home mortgage if his credit score is good. Shame to nigeria govt. If you have the opportunity pls leave that country call nigeria if you are hardworking you will thank God at the end.

Instead of comparing Nigeria to a first world country, wouldn't it make more sense to compare it to a 2nd or 3rd world country and see if you would get a similar outcome. Compare Nigeria to S.A, Ghana, Greece, Hungary, India e.t.c Besides I know for a fact that a cleaner in the U.K cannot apply for a morgage cos after you are done paying bills (renting a single room in London is at least 500 pounds), there is practically nothing left; its a hand-to-mouth existence.

12 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by shankara7: 8:18am On May 21, 2017
lonelydora:
Why won't the sale of handouts and settlements for a good grade be on the increase of this is what they earn? Nigeria is just a Zoo. Somebody please post that pix of Legislators salary.

So a whole Professor don't even earn half of a Graduate trainee salary in Oil companies or NLNG?

How much do you think oil coy workers earn?

1 Like

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by AlphaT1(m): 8:20am On May 21, 2017
starziod:

How much do graduate Assistant earn?
80-105k
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by benlash: 8:24am On May 21, 2017
Guys, Get In!! See The 11 Places To Touch Your Woman And Drive Her Wild (18+ Only)
http://mainvibes.com/guys-get-see-11-places-touch-woman-drive-wild-18/
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Mayflowa(m): 8:35am On May 21, 2017
kolafolabi:

That is so untrue

It's so true! It's unbelievable, right?
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Nobody: 8:38am On May 21, 2017
ceelog:

Bros your last statement is not true especially for medical doctors on federal salary scale. A consultant rakes like 600 to 700k a month.

You guys will shout when you see the salaries and allowances of staff of NDIC and CBN (govt workers too)
Knowledge they say is power. If anyone should know better about the bolded, I should, for obvious reasons.
What you have quoted is the take home pay and not the basic salary pa as is highlighted in the discourse. These two are different as allowances make the bulk of take home salary. I make bold to tell you that a consultant which is the highest level in medical career progression earns less than a Reader. And we know that when it comes to allowance, lecturers are up there. You would know this if you followed their struggle back then in the obj era.
Again for emphasis sake, what you think of the CBN and NDIC salary is also due to allowances. The civil service is well structured , even Mr President and the Senators are on less than 6M pa but we know wosup.

5 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by fratermathy(m): 8:38am On May 21, 2017
ceelog:

Do you think it's easy to become a consultant? Becoming one is almost akin to having a PhD. The pay is justified.

Note that only 10-30% of medical doctors will become consultants. The others will most likely be general practitioners and earn almost the same or slightly lower or higher than academics at universities.

I can't speak on the other government agencies you mentioned because I don't know how much they pay them.

All-in-all, lecturing and academics is about passion. If you don't have the passion, you'll be frustrated. Some are saying it's easy but it's not, especially when you handle a large number of students.

2 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by divinelove(m): 8:41am On May 21, 2017
The salary is soooo poor take for eg to become a lecturer 2 u need a PhD in ur field only to earn 140k while a std u graduated with Bsc is earning 200k plus in GTB shocked shocked shocked shocked

For me a Prof shld earn at least 1m per month and lecturer 2 500k per month to attract d bests in each field n reposition the sector

7 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by lonelydora: 8:46am On May 21, 2017
shankara7:
How much do you think oil coy workers earn?

Ask about Total, Chevron, Mobil, and Agip.
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by opylas(m): 8:49am On May 21, 2017
Partnerbiz:
Which passion and effort does it require?
That is the easiest FG job anybody can do..
LOL... Your view on this matter is warped. I blame it on the Nigerian system, though.
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by oostin: 8:59am On May 21, 2017
You obviously have no idea what they went through to get to where they are. My dad got his Phd in 1973 yet when I entered university in 1998 his salary was still N7770 a month. Another friend of mine whose father was also a Professor told me they had to survive on beans and honey they got from the bees in the roof of their boys' quarters. Gen. Abdulsalami started the salary increase but things got really better under Obasanjo. When you paint a rosy picture of lecturing please don't forget to state the difficulties they went through to get to where they are. The slogan of ASUU then was "my take home pay cannot take me home".

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Kennedy767(m): 9:04am On May 21, 2017
Lecturer 11 In The University Which Is Phd holder earn 1,900,000 to 200k in my school,,,140k is for Bsc holders in FUPRE,,,,i heard a new employed non teaching staff in geology dpartment sayin dat her salary is 140k then wen i was in final year in 2015,,,and she wil b a bsc or hnd holder,,,,msc holder earn btw 160k to 180k in fupre,,hnd Holders Earn 130k Wch Is Level7 In Fupre

2 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Nobody: 9:05am On May 21, 2017
Not bad.. Some universities pay more tho...I'm still contemplating being one

1 Like

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Pedagogue: 9:14am On May 21, 2017
The Op is uninformed.

Lecturers in Federal universities earn more than those in private universities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by tyav7: 9:31am On May 21, 2017
The stated amounts are their basic salaries. Allowances are not included. When added, it's a bit tidy.
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Fourwinds: 9:42am On May 21, 2017
Some useless lecturers are always after pussies....
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by paradigmshift(m): 9:47am On May 21, 2017
pti lecturers are the best paid
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by biztip: 9:47am On May 21, 2017
on a normal good biz time, I make those amounts in 2 to 3 months
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Nobody: 9:49am On May 21, 2017
A lot of misinformation, half truths, and outright falsehood being spread here. Let me see if I can help.

1. A lecturers salary is made up of 2 components: basic + consolidated allowance. For clarity, these components remains fixed for a particular rank.

2. Most of the figures being quoted up there are the gross not net(take home). Tax, pension contribution and ASUU dues are usually deducted.

3. Take home of Graduate Assistant(step 1): 97k. 3k is added annually as you move up the steps every year provided you remain on same rank.

4. Take home of Assistant lecturer (step1) is about 113k.

5. Take home of lecturer 2 (step 1) is about 129k.

6. Grad assistant requires a BSc, Assistant Lecturer an MSc, Lecturer 2 a PhD. But u can get Lecturer 2 with an Msc + registration with the professional body of your discipline.

7. It takes a grad assistant longer to get a phd than a medical student to become a doctor, yet a resident doctor's take home is way beyond 129k a PhD holder will take home as a lecturer. A medical consultant's take home is way above the about 500k a professor takes home even though it takes longer to become a prof, than a consultant.

8. It takes an Msc to be come an assistant lecturer from d rank of a grad assistant. 3yrs from assistant lecturer to lecturer 2. 3years from lecturer 2 to lecturer 1. 3years + PhD from lecturer 1 to senior lecturer. 3 years from senior lecturer to reader. 3 years from reader to prof. Now, for each of those three years in rank before u move, you are expected to have published a minimum of 2 research papers in a peer reviewed journal of international repute. And a host of other requirements like teaching experience, project supervisory experience, administrative duties etc.

9. Of course there are wayward and undisciplined lecturers but anyone who thinks lecturing is soft work has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Pardon any typhos please. Thanks.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by samsard(m): 9:50am On May 21, 2017
birmingham04:
This comparison is baseless, you can't compare income per capita in a developed country with that's of a developing country. Including cost of living.

2 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Ayima: 9:50am On May 21, 2017
What about Lecturers in federal and state colleges of education?
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by samsard(m): 9:53am On May 21, 2017
divinelove:
The salary is soooo poor take for eg to become a lecturer 2 u need a PhD in ur field only to earn 140k while a std u graduated with Bsc is earning 200k plus in GTB shocked shocked shocked shocked

For me a Prof shld earn at least 1m per month and lecturer 2 500k per month to attract d bests in each field n reposition the sector
First ask yourself, how much is the minimum wage in Nigeria and the average income per capita then you can decide they should earn billions if you like.
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by lebete3000: 10:07am On May 21, 2017
lonelydora:

Pls how can one be a graduate trainee in these companies you mentioned?
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by shankara7: 10:08am On May 21, 2017
lonelydora:

Ask about Total, Chevron, Mobil, and Agip.
I know how much they earn. Just know that a full time engineer in those coys you mentioned don't earn more than a Prof not to talk of a graduate trainee.
Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by Nobody: 10:10am On May 21, 2017
Partnerbiz:

That's the easiest.
Some of my lecturers lecture 2 or 3 times a week.
An hour lecture each. He does that for a month cos another will take over next month.

So they lecture like 12 times in a month for 1 hr each and thats for the semester. The rest of the 3 months he does other side jobs like consultancy. Exam comes he marks finish.
Those at the law school lectures once a week for just 18 weeks a year. Exam comes they mark and that's all.

Remember, they use the rest of the day as they wish. They also use the vacations, strike etc.
Nne its damn easy and also very secure.
They write textbooks, attend seminars. workshop, they don't get promoted just like that but they get promoted according to the number of textbooks they have and qualifications. You think its an easy job.

2 Likes

Re: Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers by mrww(m): 10:11am On May 21, 2017
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUUxKTYllcE/
Just click and like this picture on Instagram
#much love

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Salary Range Of Microfinance Bank Workers / Sacked Chicken Republic Dancers At A University In Cyprus (Photos) / Penjamin Franklin: I Refused My Female Boss Sex & She Sacked Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.