Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? (18969 Views)

"Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert / Wife Beats, Hits Her Husband But The Husband Refuses To Fight Back / Should A Wife's Money Be '' Hers '' , While The Husband's Money Be " Ours " ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by tutudesz: 6:00pm On May 25, 2017
mfm04622:

Some gifts are too big to be given without explanation. A guest will need to explain why he or she is given another man's wife a car! Don't you think so?
my question was who among the husband or the wife will a guest take permission from,since a father needs permission from the husband to give his daughter a car gift. Their is nothing wrong if a male friend give my wife a car gift or I receive one from a female friend

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by ImaIma1(f): 6:01pm On May 25, 2017
padiga047:

There is a line between kindness and mumism.

The man who did what you said has unfortunately crossed that line.

Your mind is not yet mature for marriage. You still have a loooong way to go

5 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by thotianna: 6:03pm On May 25, 2017
Gosh African men are so annoying. Can you imagine some people saying any car gift must be for both husband and wife and not for wife alone?
If the long throat man wants a car he should ask his wife to share her car or hustle like his mates and buy one instead of trying to get his greedy paws on his wifes property and claiming it as his own.
Haba. A woman cannot get a gift from her father and have it in her name again. it must also belong to the husband.
Men are so heartless and greedy. Such rubbish
If you have a problem with your wife having more money than you then marry poor women that will depend on you financially so your stupid egos can get even more bloated.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 25, 2017
ImaIma1:

Oh well.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Sterope(f): 6:06pm On May 25, 2017
The way marriage works when the man rides a car and the woman doesn't.

Gosh! It is just a freaking car. It won't make your penis smaller, would it?

He wants to give HIS DAUGHTER a car gift not a cash for family. No be his money again!

padiga047:
I wonder how the marriage would look like the wife rides a car and he doesn't.

Why not transfer it to cash and give the couple to start their family.

That man is unknowingly causing trouble.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 25, 2017
So as a parent, after raising a daughter from birth to her wedding day, after paying her fees, feeding, clothing her and giving her all the love I can give, I then need to seek permission from one guy before I can give her a gift?

I don't know about y'all, but I think its an ego problem.

The car or house gift won't be a problem later, they have bigger problems waiting for them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Aleora(f): 6:09pm On May 25, 2017
charain:

The question you should ask yourself is why an egoistic poor man will marry a rich woman ?
when a woman refuse to marry below her class you say; women are only after money,
when a rich woman fall for a poor guy you accuse her of disrespecting the husband by being rich.
What exactly do you want ?
you are blessed

5 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by ziga: 6:10pm On May 25, 2017
After marriage, everything is jointly owned by the couple.

And if they can't agree on how to "share" a vehicle, then the marriage was headed towards divorce anyway.

NB - Share does not always mean 50-50
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Sterope(f): 6:16pm On May 25, 2017
The parents are stupid. They both owned the house as the the family house. They should have told her that even though it belongs to her legally. When they die, they shouldn't forget to will her share of their properties in her husband's names too because he is the husband. undecided

It is very convenient to insult women when a woman acts arrogantly over her property but if it is a man that threw his wife out of their house, you won't be saying that men owning a house is such a big deal. In fact, men throw out their wives all the time and I am yet to see most men rising against such foolishness. I guess it is cute for men to act like jerks over their properties, isn't it? Hypocrites!

Anyways, It is stupid for one spouse to order his/her spouse out of a family house because of one small issue (except violence and abuse Sha). If the other partner cannot withstand his partner, he/she can get a hotel or stay with friends/family until issues are resolved.

Dpharisee:
Giving a woman a big gift such as a house or car can create problems for the new couple; I know of a couple whose rich parent gave their daughter a house as wedding gift and one day they had a quarrel and she told him to his face that 'after all, he is living in her house given to her by her parents' he threw her out and she ran home to report him to her parents.

The father invited the guy and his wife and told the daughter to kneel before her husband and ask for his forgiveness and told her that the house he gave was for the two of them and that her husband is the head of the home and custodian of the property and not her.
He then asked her to promise in their presence that she will always be a good wife and she goes back to her husband's house and that solved the problem. If the father had not handled it carefully, that marriage would have packed up and today they are a happy couple.

Like was done by my family in a recent wedding, the gift of a new car by the family for the wife was placed in her hands with the husbands hand underneath same way the place the couples hands over the knife during the wedding cake cutting event.

4 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Innnovative(m): 6:20pm On May 25, 2017
I don't fink its right...........U don't give to HER u give it to THEM
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by sekem: 6:23pm On May 25, 2017
ImaIma1:
But if he had given them a tray as a gift he wouldn't need to ask permission in case they already have enough trays. Such myopic and egocentric mindset! Whatever they do with their gifts is left to them. It is a wedding gift and she is his daughter.
What broke the marriage might not be the gifts bit how the couple handled it.

Very good

To you, you may think it is totally harmless

I totally understand

But sometimes, we just have to read in between the lines to understand certain human actions

If the said father in law wanted to show a high level of deftness, I believe he would have found a way to specifically specify that the house belongs to both his son in law and his daughter

That way, the young man will go home without necessarily having that sickening feeling that he is being controlled/owned.

You will probably never understand that feeling because you are not a guy

But that feeling is real, for men

Believe it or not, that feeling is probably one of the main reason why some ladies just can't find a man to marry them

The woman is not the problem.

She may be very understanding, very respectful, very humble, very submissive

But...

That's just the problem

Because according to James Hadley Chase, you never know with women!!!
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by phranq(m): 6:23pm On May 25, 2017
How old is the father? A gift should come as a surprise. Permission needs not to be taken before a gift should be presented. Any gift given to a newly wed is meant for both of them. If the person giving the gift tags one of the newly weds the giver of the gift is a home wrecker (if there's anything like wrecked).
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by seguntijan(m): 6:28pm On May 25, 2017
What if it was her ex? Oga! na inferiority complex dey worry the guy. Though he isn't respected by his father in law act, but they're better ways to go about it than divorcing, I passionately like marriage as much as I passionately hate divorce.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by WHITEWIZARD(m): 6:30pm On May 25, 2017
dominique:
Even an in-law must walk on eggshells to massage the bloated ego of an average Nigerian man. This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion. Why on earth should a woman reject a gift from her own parent? Asking for permission means that there is a possibility of rejecting the car gift which is a huge disrespect to the father that raised her. So many rules and regulations a Nigerian woman must follow all in the name of "keeping her marriage". Nigerians can make marriage harder than rocket science sha.
Dear Dominique, pls take a look at the screenshot and see why this moniker was ban.

its kind of funny and weird because the moniker www.nairaland.com/saintsammurai was only conversing with a lady that mention something about another moniker and the mod ban him because of bullying..
screenshots below.
cc Dominique lalasticlala seun

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by ImaIma1(f): 6:32pm On May 25, 2017
charain:

The question you should ask yourself is why an egoistic poor man will marry a rich woman ?
when a woman refuse to marry below her class you say; women are only after money,
when a rich woman fall for a poor guy you accuse her of disrespecting the husband by being rich.
What exactly do you want ?

Your brain is working well
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 25, 2017
for Kaniwood or Nollywood
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by tonero230(m): 6:36pm On May 25, 2017
firstking01:
Very Wrong.
It is meant to be a surprise.....
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by ImaIma1(f): 6:42pm On May 25, 2017
sekem:

Very good

To you, you may think it is totally harmless

I totally understand

But sometimes, we just have to read in between the lines to understand certain human actions

If the said father in law wanted to show level of deftness, I believe he would have found a way to specifically specify that the house belongs to both his son in law and his daughter

That way, the young man will go home without necessarily having that sickening feeling that he is being controlled/owned.

You will probably never understand that feeling because you are not a guy

But that feeling is real, for men

Believe it or not, that feeling is probably one of the main reason why some ladies just can't find a man to marry them

The woman is not the problem.

She may be very understanding, very respectful, very humble, very submissive

But...

That's just the problem

Because according to James Hadley Chase, you never know with women!!!

That feeling is an overbloated ego that constantly needs massaging. It is not present in every man. Some men are not threatened by things like that.
When a wedding gift is given, the father does not need to.point out that it is for both of them. For both of them to come together to get married means that they agree and they have become one. The father doesnt owe them an explanation for a gift.
If you cannot handle being married to a lady from a wealthy family, it's better to marry someone that would depend completely on you and whatever you bring to avoid your ego being tampered with.

3 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by dingbang(m): 6:44pm On May 25, 2017
a car and 5bedroom house? what is she even doing with a 5bedroom house in the first place....
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by princecase: 6:44pm On May 25, 2017
Saintsammurai:
hmm brilliant

No form of brilliance my friend.
The whole situation wasn't properly handled.
Simple
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 25, 2017
What is the difference between a car gift and a set of pots?
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 25, 2017
ImaIma1:

You lost me with your comment. Why is it that the fact that it is a car gift the problem. My colleague was given a car gift by her dad. And it was a surprise. They didn't know till the wedding day. An uncle of mine gave his daughter a car gift on her wedding day. Both marriages are yet to break up. If a man cannot handle the fact that his woman is from a well to do family, why go ahead?
Communication between a couple is very important. They have to be able to discuss anything and agree.
to add to it, the man isn't man enough
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by yaki84: 7:01pm On May 25, 2017
ImaIma1:
But if he had given them a tray as a gift he wouldn't need to ask permission in case they already have enough trays. Such myopic and egocentric mindset! Whatever they do with their gifts is left to them. It is a wedding gift and she is his daughter.
What broke the marriage might not be the gifts bit how the couple handled it.
imaimammi. Abadie?

Se nanga aflesh nte flesh fish
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 7:02pm On May 25, 2017
Let's clarify this
1. If the gifts were for the daughter then there is a problem. He could have done this before she got married
Why should a man dictate when a father gifts her daughter? Since when did it become a bad thing for a father to gift ONLY his daughter? The daughter is no fool and should know that in the confines of marriage everything a man owns belongs to him and his wife and vice versa except where there is a prenuptial agreement.

2. Since when do you give one party gifts at a wedding is it not meant for both of them?

Refer to the answer above.

3. Maybe the daughter is one of those women who makes the man know she comes from money, they argue " get out of my house" she is unhappy " get out of my car!" So the man left. It's not just about the car or the house as it was 6 months after the wedding. It is about what the car represents.

It is only an insecure man that will be worried about the intent of his father-in-law in gifting his daughter. Nigerians and double standard! If a man marries a girl from a humble(poor) background, the girl is expected to "tu-sh" up to meet the standard of the rich guy she married. But if a rich girl marries a poor guy, she is expected to re-learn life and adopt poverty as a way of life so that she would be a good wife, abi? undecided
cry cry cry

7 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by cooljoe(m): 7:04pm On May 25, 2017
Shey dat husband don dey mad nee, or e smoke weed? whre was he wen I was giving birth nd raising her. abi he is d one dat nids to take permision to buy her a car

2 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Alennsar(f): 7:17pm On May 25, 2017
Mofpearl:
Don't see anything wrong with it.

Why would he need hubby's permission to get me a car in the first place?

I tire ooo dis our people self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by delishpot: 7:24pm On May 25, 2017
DOnlooker:

Be careful what you wish for. A father who just one hour after you and his daughter has been joined together as ONE, singles her out and gifts her a car in the full glare of the wedding guests is sending you some strong non-coded messages among which are;
1.) He doesn't see you as the head of the newly created family otherwise it should have been both of you together he will hand over the car keys.
2.) No matter the circumstances, in the event of any misunderstanding, you will always be the one at fault.
3.) He is trying to intimidate you already with money.
etc, etc.
I wouldn't want to have a FIL that will do that, not on the wedding day at least because it will leave a lasting impression on the guests that her father will continue to bankroll my marriage. A real man will understand.

Una still dey drag head for this day and age? Ego destroys the him faster than even the devil himself. A father telling his son in-law about a gift he wants to gift his daughter should not be because he feels his daughter has become secondclass human simply because she married some stranger but rather because he sees the husband as his son, a member of his family and would want the man to be in the know of such a big gift ahead of time. Besides the dad was wrong, he should have bought the car and presented it to Mr and Mrs so so instead of giving it to his daughter alone. Doing it that way shows he has included the husband as a member of his family. That is the error of his action.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by ImaIma1(f): 7:32pm On May 25, 2017
yaki84:

imaimammi. Abadie?

Se nanga aflesh nte flesh fish

Idem nfo isongo.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by innobarca(m): 7:33pm On May 25, 2017
ImaIma1:

And the woman that is driving a car while the husband is jumping a bus is MATURE for marriage?
After marriage, Husband and wife becomes one...Nobody wants the other to suffer if there is true love.

For the gift,A gift should be for husband and wife and some responsible father in-laws knows how to go about it,It doesn't matter where it is coming from,the most important thing is that the gift is for the NEW COUPLE.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Optimist88(m): 7:44pm On May 25, 2017
LePrezident:
How is this disrespectful? If I decide to gift my daughter, the husband has no business being peeved. So because she's married she's no longer my daughter? Is he for real?
You sounds like a boy! Is she not your daughter when she drops your name for his?
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by ImaIma1(f): 7:45pm On May 25, 2017
innobarca:

And the woman that is driving a car while the husband is jumping a bus is MATURE for marriage?
After marriage, Husband and wife becomes one...Nobody wants the other to suffer if there is true love.

For the gift,A gift should be for husband and wife and some responsible father in-laws knows how to go about it,It doesn't matter where it is coming from,the most important thing is that the gift is for the NEW COUPLE.

If the father in law has to point that out, the couple should not even be getting married.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Optimist88(m): 7:49pm On May 25, 2017
Present it to the Mr & Mrs and not Mrs alone! Even if you give the car to the husband, he's still conscious of the fact that it belongs to the wife!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Justified Or Pure Wickedness? / Is It Right For Married People To Go Clubbing ??? / Is Bishop David Oyedepo's Church Indirectly Glorifying Satan(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.