Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,425 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Why Is Garri So Expensive - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Garri So Expensive (1723 Views)

Akwa Ibom Lady Frying Garri & Everyone Is Calling Her Wife Material / Real Girls Do Real Things!- Nigerian Lady Shares Photos Of Herself Frying Garri / My Garri Is Finished. Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Garri So Expensive by naughtyDiana: 10:53am On May 25, 2017
only Nigerian who's wondering why garri, a locally produced and packaged food item now costs so much. a paint of garri now goes for 1200 naira, I'm quite sure in some regions, it costs even more. Cassava is cultivated in Nigeria, fuel price has been stable, so why is it so expensive!!! or do they import the sac used in packaging?

in my house, we used to buy a bag but now, hmm, na quarter we dey buy. My bendel people, na una garri sure pass oo, u people should EPP us pls. and the economists on this forum, pls enlighten us.

cc lalasticlala please help nairalanders understand cos I'm lost

1 Like

Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by yomi007k(m): 10:56am On May 25, 2017
tongue

because d endtime is near.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by Ribajae(m): 11:11am On May 25, 2017
my brother.... that is one of the seven wonders of nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by trustworthy1(f): 2:30pm On May 25, 2017
The thing don tire me. According to my mum who bought garri from one village, she said that the seller who sold the garri to her told her that the farmers are complaining that the sticks that they normally use in cultivating cassava are very expensive now.
Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by Akposb(m): 2:59pm On May 25, 2017
Farmers are not immune to the inflation that has affected the other sectors of the society.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 25, 2017
Is it just garri, everything local food is now expensive. palm oil, fufu, vegetables and other food stuffs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by wadetaw202: 2:43pm On May 26, 2017
trustworthy1:
The thing don tire me. According to my mum who bought garri from one village, she said that the seller who sold the garri to her told her that the farmers are complaining that the sticks that they normally use in cultivating cassava are very expensive now.

Lie. If you are a constant cassava farmer, you will only have to buy the stalk/stick/stem.....whatever only once. The stick reproduces on its own and increase in number after each harvest. They are just looking for excuse
Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by romme2u: 11:39pm On May 26, 2017
because we have refused to modernize and commercialize agriculture. mechanized agriculture is the way forward.

subsistence farming requires hard labour with little productivity and more people are steering away from it.
Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by Nobody: 12:03am On May 27, 2017
Honestly I wonder if the sellers are now importing garri.

Nigerians , we are simply doing ourselves with greed .
Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by Nobody: 1:22am On May 27, 2017
I'm not an economist, but from my basic knowledge of economics, this is what I understand:

Most farmers do not practise subsistence farming anymore , even if they do, there are certain goods and services they can't produce. The farmer produces garri, but he/she doesn't have rice, groundnut oil, goat meat and other basic human wants and needs. Man shall not live by garri alone you know?

If this were the the era of barter trade, the farmer would most likely exchange garri for yam or use basins of garri to pay kiddies school fees,house-rent,settle sidechicks,make hair and also buy clothes cheesy.

However, considering the fact that most things we survive on in Nigeria are imported (most times 'expensive'), cost of services be increasing and we pay with money. The farmer has to sell the garri at a high cost to afford his/her other needs, which are also affected by the inflation.

So, it's not the fault of the garri seller,but your central policy makers that have refused to adopt effective inflation targeting policies to (stabilize real exchange rate) and macroeconomic measures aimed at increasing domestic production...etc. Some local sellers are beginning to overdo though _preparing for the rainy day I guess.

N.B. You should have posted in food, or maybe business. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by iaatmguy(m): 4:59am On Oct 05, 2017
PaperLace:
I'm not an economist, but from my basic knowledge of economics, this is what I understand:

Most farmers do not practise subsistence farming anymore , even if they do, there are certain goods and services they can't produce. The farmer produces garri, but he/she doesn't have rice, groundnut oil, goat meat and other basic human wants and needs. Man shall not live by garri alone you know?

If this were the the era of barter trade, the farmer would most likely exchange garri for yam or use basins of garri to pay kiddies school fees,house-rent,settle sidechicks,make hair and also buy clothes cheesy.

However, considering the fact that most things we survive on in Nigeria are imported (most times 'expensive'), cost of services be increasing and we pay with money. The farmer has to sell the garri at a high cost to afford his/her other needs, which are also affected by the inflation.

you are very correct and intelligent
Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by lopside12: 10:21am On Oct 05, 2017
Maybe the cost of processing has increased.
The grinding machine uses diesel, the labor will add to their wages, firewood would have gone up and at the end of the day it comes out expensive
Re: Why Is Garri So Expensive by nurey(m): 4:03pm On Oct 05, 2017
Cost of planting cassava is expensive, you have to pay for extra security due to herdsmen wahala, fertilizer, labour cost. so in general, cost of cassava is actually the factor in high cost of garri

the second reason is the various constituents cassava is derived from. Mechanized farmers dont bother selling to industries, they process using expensive machines and packaging and other products command more profit compared to garri thats starch and ethanol in brewering process.

Garri only still has edge because of the target market has more people utilizing it daily.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Nairalander Celebrates Birthday With Twin Sister (pictures) / Now A Happy Married Man / Vote Of Thanks Ideas And Samples Pls.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.