Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? (9570 Views)

What Happens And What To Do When You Mistakenly Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? / This Is What Bad Fuel Will Do To Your Car: 7 Effects Of Bad Fuel In Your Car / Fuel Scarcity: What Is The Situation, How Much Is A Litre Of Fuel In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by obafemee80(m): 10:12pm On May 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwv5esyv9-U

Does your car need Petrol or Diesel?What happens if you put the wrong fuel into your car?

The results vary wildly from case to case, but you need to be careful about what kind of fuel you put in your car and be aware of what effects your actions might have. Putting the wrong fuel in your car is a surprisingly common mistake that no one ever wants to admit to,but don’t worry, we have your back.

What Happens When You Put Diesel in a Petrol Car?
[img]http:///a/img922/3974/jcLQTY.jpg[/img]
Due to the different types of nozzles used for petrol and diesel fuel at stations, its usually kind of difficult to mix them up, but mistakes do happen. If you realized your mistake, the important thing is to stop driving the car. Parking and turning off the engine will limit the damage that will occur. Otherwise, the car will use up the remainder of the petrol in the tank and eventually shut down, since petrol engines can’t combust diesel.

What the mechanic needs to do is to drain the tank and fuel lines, fuel rails and injectors of the diesel fuel. You can't fix this yourself,but a mechanic will be better suited to handle this kind of work. Usually, there’s no permanent damage, but this kind of fix can be costly together with the cost of a tow to the closet mechanic.

What Happens When You Put Petrol in a Diesel Car?
[img]http:///a/img923/4647/ldBoJz.jpg[/img]
Going the other way around is far more harmful and dangerous for your car. Diesel is not only a fuel, but serves as a lubricant as well,so you can really damage the fuel-injector pump by using petrol instead of diesel.

That’s not the only thing that can go wrong. Diesel and petrol have different combustion properties, meaning that petrol would detonate much earlier in a diesel engine. As a result, you’ll get misfires and knocking that will require certain parts of the engine to be repaired, rebuilt or replaced,which will be expensive.

If you discovered that you accidentally put diesel into your petrol-powered car, you need to stop running the engine immediately and get a tow to a mechanic, where they will drain and clean your system.

How to prevent Misfuelling
While no one’s perfect and it’s impossible to avoid innocent mistakes from time to time, there are a few things we can bear in mind to reduce the risk of falling foul to mishaps at the pumps:

-If you’ve just bought a new car with a different fuel engine to your previous car,leave yourself reminders or prompts in the car to minimise the risk of you queuing for the wrong pump.

-When you pull into a petrol station,cut out distractions and focus.For the sake of the minute or two it takes to refuel,put your phone away and give your undivided attention to the task in hand.

-If you drive a diesel car and are worried about misfuelling,you can buy a device that fits into your filler neck to prevent you inserting the narrower petrol nozzle.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/07/what-happens-if-you-put-the-wrong-fuel-in-your-car-.html

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/advice/wrong-fuel-advice

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by diportivo: 10:25pm On May 25, 2017
nice one

but, try and make it Nigerian

gas na cooking gas for here...its better u edit and put petrol instead of gas

e go surprise u say some ppl no sabi grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by obafemee80(m): 10:35pm On May 25, 2017
diportivo:
nice one

but, try and make it Nigerian

gas na cooking gas for here...its better u edit and put petrol instead of gas

e go surprise u say some ppl no sabi grin
Thanks..
Done

2 Likes

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:01am On May 26, 2017
What happens when you put diesel in your perol powered vehicle.

Fuel atendant.......Oga how much

You......fill up cool

After 5mins.......

Fuel attendant..... nah 14,500

You.... for 76liters!!?www.nairaland.com/attachments/4901659_20170217172713_jpeg4faf93b0619d9ecc1aea6e7d8c21cd09

Attendant..... oga diesel nah 190 grin

19 Likes

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Ayemileto(m): 12:52am On May 26, 2017
What if you put kerosene(from a keg)
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by DaimlerBen(m): 3:40am On May 26, 2017
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Nobody: 7:17am On May 26, 2017
It will start vomiting and stooling, you'll have to give it FLAGYL.

7 Likes

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Repairnigeria(m): 7:29am On May 26, 2017
Na trouble be DAT for engine
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Dreamchasers31(m): 7:31am On May 26, 2017
That's a silly mistake

1 Like

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by nedu2000(m): 7:34am On May 26, 2017
Probably best to paste 'pms' or 'diesel' on the fuel cap,so every d attendant and yourself will see it

2 Likes

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by NevetsIbot(m): 7:34am On May 26, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
What happens when you put diesel in your perol powered vehicle.

Fuel atendant.......Oga how much

You......fill up cool

After 5mins.......

Fuel attendant..... nah 14,500

You.... for 15liters!!?www.nairaland.com/attachments/4901659_20170217172713_jpeg4faf93b0619d9ecc1aea6e7d8c21cd09

Attendant..... oga diesel nah 190 grin
lol

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by heenriiy19(m): 7:35am On May 26, 2017
Your car will start coughing........
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:38am On May 26, 2017
MIGHT EXPLODE ON THE EXPRESSWAY. THE NEXT THING WE HEAR ENEMIES FROM THE VILLAGE ARE AT WORK
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Nobody: 7:39am On May 26, 2017
At the Filling stations Diesel Pump nozzles are different from petrol pump nozzles, even the tank openings in vehicles are also different, mistakes arise for ignorance of vehicle owners.

Diesel dispenser nozzles are wider and dont fit standard petrol vehicle tank openings, they should also have a label indicating that they re are diesel.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by jomoh: 7:50am On May 26, 2017
You give it red oyel to neutralize the poison.
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Viccur(m): 7:58am On May 26, 2017
I don't really believe such mistakes could happen. I think only big and heavy duty vehicles use diesel. Wrong?
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by phemmyfour: 8:06am On May 26, 2017
Viccur:
I don't really believe such mistakes could happen. I think only big and heavy duty vehicles use diesel. Wrong?
yes wrong. Some Buses use diesel

1 Like

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by sekem: 8:06am On May 26, 2017
Viccur:

I concur
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by MidaxPhoenix(m): 8:09am On May 26, 2017
Horrible experience I must say!!

During my university days, on a trip from Ghana, really exhausted, we drove into a filling station in Cotonou.

I said full tank for the 3 coasters and the security hilux while we ran into the mall for booze.

Came back and paid, after moving less than 200m, smoke from the exhaust filled everywhere..

The drivers shouted ' e be like say na diesel dem sell oo!!

Federal government properties.. Haaaa!!!

Last semester in school, my village people don get me...

We started causing trouble, we dey shout greatest gbagba, gbogbo!! Locked the attendants in the hilux.

The owner of the station later called mechanics that drained and flushed the diesel out.. and replaced with petrol.

I had to bribe each driver with a bag of rice to avoid booking the incident in their log book..

5 Likes

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Nobody: 8:19am On May 26, 2017
If u put d wrong fuel in your car,it will drive itself and take u to the worng place
Reverse to "Go forward"
Move forward to reverse
grin

1 Like

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by hardbody: 8:24am On May 26, 2017
Viccur:
]

You nailed it. They can't only happen, they do happen, that's why you called them mistakes
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Iamwrath: 8:26am On May 26, 2017
Lemme go an try this
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 8:37am On May 26, 2017
Viccur:
My car uses diesel,it's the most popular fuel in Europe
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by akraym(m): 8:45am On May 26, 2017
quentin06:
At the Filling stations Diesel Pump nozzles are different from petrol pump nozzles, even the tank openings in vehicles are also different, mistakes arise for ignorance of vehicle owners.

Diesel dispenser nozzles are wider and dont fit standard petrol vehicle tank openings, they should also have a label indicating that they re are diesel.
you don't know what you're saying
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Nobody: 8:57am On May 26, 2017
akraym:
you don't know what you're saying

Its you that dont know what you re saying.
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by onoms4luv(m): 9:34am On May 26, 2017
using the wrong fuel? nothing will happen to your vehicle but once you make the mistake of using the wrong engine oil, bros forget it, just go and change your engine.
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by adeememman(m): 10:10am On May 26, 2017
nice info you got up there@op. Though the mistake rarely occurs.

1 Like

Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Roon9(m): 4:00pm On May 26, 2017
onoms4luv:
using the wrong fuel? nothing will happen to your vehicle but once you make the mistake of using the wrong engine oil, bros forget it, just go and change your engine.

Lies! I once used the wrong oil to top my engine as it was leaking oil and nothing happened thereafter. All of una go just they claim roadside mechanic
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by onoms4luv(m): 8:25pm On May 26, 2017
Roon9:

Lies! I once used the wrong oil to top my engine as it was leaking oil and nothing happened thereafter. All of una go just they claim roadside mechanic

you will just wake up and be mentioning someone, how many cars have you driven...
Re: What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? by Roon9(m): 10:51pm On May 26, 2017
onoms4luv:

you will just wake up and be mentioning someone, how many cars have you driven...

Dumb

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. / How To Survive A Storm While Stuck In Your Car / Car AC Works Well Only In The Morning And Evening But Struggles In Hot Afternoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.