Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,991 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? (15116 Views)

How Much Does Africa''s Young Entrepreneur Pay Accountants At Entry Level? / How Much Does Africa's Young Entrpreneur Pay Accountants At Entry Level / Please Any Idea How Much NEITI Pays At Entry Level 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by jossy26: 9:22am On May 26, 2017
puyol5:
We have seen on NL here. How so many HR managers/executive come to give advice on how to write a CV and prepare for an interview in order to get a job.

These same HR are the people who recruit employees based on subjective criteria such as man know man, Abuja connection, brown envelope, long leggism and other means of subjective recruitment.

Before I continue, sm NL members would say learn a skill and I ask them with which money? I have been to interviews and aptitude tests and I discovered that most start-ups recruit on merit at entry level because they don't pay well but most big firms don't employ on merit at entry level. The funniest thing, their special candidate attends the interview/test with other candidates that apply to fulfill all righteousness.

What's the hope of that women who sold Akara to send her child to school? What's the hope of that carpenter who sent his child to school?

Enough of the how to write CV seminars and start recruiting the right way. You even put 2 years experience for 3months internship role. If someone did not give you a chance to prove yourself would you be where you are today?

Before you come for me I am a social media marketer and a sports editor/writer. Even if you learn a skill you might be employed by someone also, not everyone who has a skill is an entrepreneur.

No more advise, do the right thing all HR Managers and officers.

Thank you
@op I want to categorically tell you that it's the big corporation that recruits based on merit not like those upcoming firms, what you need to focus on is the value you want and will be adding to the firm and not just go there with some online generalised format for your interview. You also need to be positive while you search, if you keep that mindset of they already know who they would employ I bet you may not get the job.... there are a miliion and one jobs gotten based on merit and not man know man.

Cheers

5 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by mooregan(m): 9:22am On May 26, 2017
God will surely bless you OP. Someone will say learn a skill, with which money? These skills do they come cheap? Do you even know how I managed to get myself through university? Help will come through for me and others someday.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 9:23am On May 26, 2017
Fatchi:
honestly it really painful!!!!am just tired of all the struggle and sleepless night and at the end nothing to show for all those hard work. even the skill I learnt no money to even begin. I just need God!!!!!!!!!!
Your God will provide your needs according to his riches in glory... Worry not, just believe. A divine connection is coming your way, just make sure u are ready to receive it.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by vislabraye(m): 9:23am On May 26, 2017
puyol5:
We have seen on NL here. How so many HR managers/executive come to give advice on how to write a CV and prepare for an interview in order to get a job.

These same HR are the people who recruit employees based on subjective criteria such as man know man, Abuja connection, brown envelope, long leggism and other means of subjective recruitment.

Before I continue, sm NL members would say learn a skill and I ask them with which money? I have been to interviews and aptitude tests and I discovered that most start-ups recruit on merit at entry level because they don't pay well but most big firms don't employ on merit at entry level. The funniest thing, their special candidate attends the interview/test with other candidates that apply to fulfill all righteousness.

What's the hope of that women who sold Akara to send her child to school? What's the hope of that carpenter who sent his child to school?

Enough of the how to write CV seminars and start recruiting the right way. You even put 2 years experience for 3months internship role. If someone did not give you a chance to prove yourself would you be where you are today?

Before you come for me I am a social media marketer and a sports editor/writer. Even if you learn a skill you might be employed by someone also, not everyone who has a skill is an entrepreneur.

No more advise, do the right thing all HR Managers and officers.

Thank you

That's how Naija is. . Msy be u should start networking more. That could help. But there are still people getting jobs without knowing anybody.

3 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Xzbit91: 9:23am On May 26, 2017
I got my first job without knowing anyone and I'm about to land the second without knowing anyone undecided

Be confident in your abilities and God will take care of the rest
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by buchilino(m): 9:23am On May 26, 2017
iamDannyBoy:

Big Lie..Merit does exist big time...its because you lazy to try...put your merit to action and let God rule..am a living witness...It happened this year not even last year..xo what are we not talking...Merit exists big time.

MERIT EXISTS?. CONSIDER UR SELF LUCKY. LETS C HOW LUCKY DOSE APPLYING FOR IMMIGRATION JOBS WILL BE.

6 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by lawalosky(m): 9:25am On May 26, 2017
just pray as a poor man/woman cus in nigeria effort and hardwork are nt paying at all.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ednut1(m): 9:25am On May 26, 2017
hahahaha bullocks, i dont knw anyone, but have gotten about 4 entry level jobs.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by eyesoflagostv: 9:26am On May 26, 2017
I GOT MY FIRST JOB ON ENTRY LEVEL , WHEN YOU ARE PROFFESSIONAL IN WHAT YOU DO , DEFINITELY YOU MUST BE EMPLOYED, REASONS WHY MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT EMPLOYED IS BECAUSE THEY APPLY FOR JOBS THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT IS ABOUT OR UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO IT, MOST COMPANIES IN NIGERIA ARE NOT READY TO EMPLOY LEARNERS ,EVERY COMPANY WANT AN EXPERT AND IF YOU ARE NOT EXPERT ,THEN EXPECT LOW PAY. COMPANIES PAY YOU FOR WHAT YOU KNOW, IN MY FORMER COMPANY I EARN MORE THAN LAWYERS WORKING THERE ,AM AN IT MANAGER WITH MY OND CERTIFICATE. THEY ARE PAYING ME FOR THE RESULT AM GIVING THE COMPANY BASE ON THE SALES , I DONT KNOW ANYBODY IN THE COMPANY , I WAS PLACED ON PROBATION AND I GAVE THEM THE BEST IN MY FIRST WEEK ..
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by haywire07(m): 9:26am On May 26, 2017
kateskitty:
It was hard for me before I got a job without connection but not impossible.
In 10 months I went from a 30K job to 150K. Got both jobs without knowing anybody, my well crafted CV did all the talking

Can u send me a copy ? U can remove ur personal info if u want .

Please!!
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by livgenius: 9:35am On May 26, 2017
When I finished NYSC, I got 4 jobs in big organisations without knowing anybody. 1 foreign bank and 3 out of the big 4 accounting firms. The bank job was even waiting for me before I finished NYSC. Within 3 months after I resumed work at one of the big four, I left to an even better job at another foreign bank. All these just by submitting cv and going for test and interviews.
Don't let anybody fool you that there are no jobs. They are there. Dont let anybody fool you that your degree class doesn't matter. It does. It gets you past the initial screening at the very least. Tailoring your cv to each job. And knowing how to behave at interviews. Confidence and a hint of cockiness and of course you must know what you are talking about. People go for interviews
without researching the job or the organisation
How will you be successful?

I started from a 120k job and moved to an over 400k job without knowing anybody

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by kateskitty(f): 9:35am On May 26, 2017
haywire07:

Can u send me a copy ? U can remove ur personal info if u want .

Please!!
A CV is not only about the format or template, it's very much about the content. Even if I give you my format and you can't put relevant content in it, it wouldn't help you.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 9:35am On May 26, 2017
kateskitty:
It was hard for me before I got a job without connection but not impossible.
In 10 months I went from a 30K job to 150K. Got both jobs without knowing anybody, my well crafted CV did all the talking

God bless you for this.

I keep telling people, it's not about how you write your CV it's what is in the CV.

Negativity is another thing job seekers have to run away from. No, you won't succeed by thinking you already failed before you try. In olamide's voice, Ko Le Werk

To the OP, let go of all the hate. I'm not saying HRs don't overdo the referral thing but you should develop yourself professionally rather than come on public forum to post myopic views.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 9:37am On May 26, 2017
kateskitty:

A CV is not only about the format or template, it's very much about the content. Even if I give you my format and you can't put relevant content in it, it wouldn't help you.

Totally Correct. You just got yourself a new fan young lady wink cheesy
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by rman: 9:39am On May 26, 2017
Mixty:
Repeated above....

My story and yours are similar. That is why I hardly encourage my relatives when they claim you need connections. For some strange reasons, maybe we are the blessed few, all my frineds seem to get well paying jobs without knowing anyone. In fact, I just hear the shear number of applicants and when I resume, I ask, who was my godfather?

Yes, it does happen but some very well payings companies recruit based on merit. If you meet the minimum requiremnet, you will be called.

I saw an advert and knew an umeployed friend fits the profile, I have his cv and applied on his behalf. He was called and started asking me how my connection will help him get the job, I told him I know no one. I helped him with preparation through the stages..lo and behold he got the role and his annual package was a little above 9mil per annum. I was jealous but happy for him. Same Nigeria ooo..just this 2017.

3 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by tall2ce(m): 9:40am On May 26, 2017
ednut1:
hahahaha bullocks, i dont knw anyone, but have gotten about 4 entry level jobs.
Did u get at NNPC CBN or NIMASA

3 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by haywire07(m): 9:47am On May 26, 2017
kateskitty:

I'll be able to handle that . I just need the format .

Haywire07@yahoo.com
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 9:50am On May 26, 2017
What I find more funny , is the doctrine of self defeat as posited by OP. Once you have defeated your self by your mental articulation, there is absolutely nothing one can do for you.
My advice, next time you are invited for an aptitude test, remind yourself that even if it's just one person they need, you will be that person, even without knowing mortal being.
All you need know is God and please prepare like you know nothing and will fail if you don't prepare. Lastly, lean not on your own understanding, always seek understanding from the Holy Spirit and also those who have been there before you.
Never be scared to ask questions no matter how foolish you think it will sound.
Like I always say, it's better to ask and be considered a fool for 5 mins while gaining knowledge , than holding on to wrong assumptions.
Never think you are wise or you know better . Always appreciate an opportunity to learn and improve yourself.
Believe me, if you take the aforesaid to heart and do the needful, your next employee will be wowed.
Before I forget, learn to have the confidence of a lion and the gentility of a dove. God bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 9:53am On May 26, 2017
Look, let me tell you something. My mother sold foodstuffs to send me to school. I know nobody in this country to assist me. But the moment i knew i needed to do something about that, i went out and made contact. Built the relationship for years and today i have their trust and friendship.
Stop complaining about being a child of nobody that is not getting anything. Go and know somebody.
You are not the only person with first class. This is competition. Even first class compete for jobs with first class.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ephi123(f): 9:54am On May 26, 2017
rman:

My story and yours are similar. That is why I hardly encourage my relatives when they claim you need connections. For some strange reasons, maybe we are the blessed few, all my frineds seem to get well paying jobs without knowing anyone. In fact, I just hear the shear number of applicants and when I resume, I ask, who was my godfather?

Yes, it does happen but some very well payings companies recruit based on merit. If you meet the minimum requiremnet, you will be called.

I saw an advert and knew an umeployed friend fits the profile, I have his cv and applied on his behalf. He was called and started asking me how my connection will help him get the job, I told him I know no one. I helped him with preparation through the stages..lo and behold he got the role and his annual package was a little above 9mil per annum. I was jealous but happy for him. Same Nigeria ooo..just this 2017.

The likelihood of getting a job without connections is much higher in the private sector compared to govt organisations.

Most private organizations are simply looking for the best hands that will get the work done. They need such people to deliver profits and continue their business.

4 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ednut1(m): 9:55am On May 26, 2017
tall2ce:

Did u get at NNPC CBN or NIMASA
angry i no see advert.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Mixty: 10:02am On May 26, 2017
ephi123:

The likelihood of getting a job without connections is much higher in the private sector compared to govt organisations.

Most private organizations are simply looking for the best hands that will get the work done. They need such people to deliver profits and continue their business.
You are very, very correct.

But I have gotten a job in a government organization most people deem as corrupt without knowing anyone. And all the people I know who got the same job knew no one. And I know several people that have gotten other government jobs without knowing anyone. But of course, you are still right. The likelihood of getting in solely by merit is low.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by scarr: 10:03am On May 26, 2017
Not in all cases.
I have worked in 5 different companies in Abuja and it was only one I got through connection, the rest I had to write test and do interview like everyone else.

Work on yourself before complaining
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by gentlegenius(m): 10:03am On May 26, 2017
Mixty:
Don't believe all that. Believe in God and in yourself.

I wasn't connected but I have worked in tje biggest government firm in Nigeria and 2 other private corporations.

All I did was pass the aptitude tests and interviews. Sometimes you may be intimated by the sheer number of applicants. But believe me, if you distinguish yourself, you will make it and get called.

My first job - HR told us 5,000 to 6,000 candidates wrote the test. after the whole process, only 6 were called to resume. I was one of them.

My 2nd job - 250, 000 candidates wrote the test. After the whole process, about 530 were called to resume. I was one of them.

3rd and current job - About 17,000 wrote the test. After the whole process, only 32 were called to resume. I was one of them.

I didn't know even one person.

And I know several people who got jobs without knowing anyone.
You may be right. But things like this are very rare in Nigeria. We are in a country where mediocrity, prejudice, and nepotism are the order of the day. If 32 out of 17000 were selected in your last job test, trust me only about 10 were selected based on Merit. The remaining 22 is based on connection; unless the members of the recruitment panel were not Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ephi123(f): 10:05am On May 26, 2017
Mixty:

You are very, very correct.

But I have gotten a job in a government organization most people deem as corrupt without knowing anyone. And all the people I know who got the same job knew no one. And I know several people that have gotten other government jobs without knowing anyone. But of course, you are still right. The likelihood of getting in solely by merit is low.

That's interesting. You must be good at what you do smiley
Just as you said, sometimes it happens, just rarer.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ilyasom(m): 10:07am On May 26, 2017
Most sensible post I've seen in a long while
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Mixty: 10:09am On May 26, 2017
gentlegenius:

You may be right. But things like this are very rare in Nigeria. We are in a country where mediocrity, prejudice, and nepotism are the order of the day. If 32 out of 17000 were selected in your last job test, trust me only about 10 were selected based on Merit. The remaining 22 is based on connection; unless the members of the recruitment panel were not Nigerians.
@ the emboldened
It is not true. The recruitment was solely by merit. I can vouch for the quality of recruitment exercise. The process had 4 independent stages that it is difficult for one person to solely influence the outcome.

2 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by lazinny(m): 10:14am On May 26, 2017
This is normal everywhere not only in Nigeria. So long as you don't stand out among the rest of the pack. Stop complaining, get social ,network , especially if you're still in school. You never know who will hook u up one day.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by charles009(m): 10:16am On May 26, 2017
livgenius:
When I finished NYSC, I got 4 jobs in big organisations without knowing anybody. 1 foreign bank and 3 out of the big 4 accounting firms. The bank job was even waiting for me before I finished NYSC. Within 3 months after I resumed work at one of the big four, I left to an even better job at another foreign bank. All these just by submitting cv and going for test and interviews.
Don't let anybody fool you that there are no jobs. They are there. Dont let anybody fool you that your degree class doesn't matter. It does. It gets you past the initial screening at the very least. Tailoring your cv to each job. And knowing how to behave at interviews. Confidence and a hint of cockiness and of course you must know what you are talking about. People go for interviews
without researching the job or the organisation
How will you be successful?

I started from a 120k job and moved to an over 400k job without knowing anybody

I left a 720k net job to become an enterpreneur. My 25 year old brother who works for me makes more than my initial salary monthly. Work towards liberating yourself from slavery.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 10:17am On May 26, 2017
`

3 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by gentlegenius(m): 10:22am On May 26, 2017
Mixty:

@ the emboldened
It is not true. The recruitment was solely by merit. I can vouch for the quality of recruitment exercise. The process had 4 independent stages that it is difficult for one person to solely influence the outcome.
Are you really sure the recruitment panel in all the 4 stages were Nigerians?
But whatever, I still maintained what I said earlier - this kind of thing is very rare in this country.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Melody100: 10:23am On May 26, 2017
I remember how i flew to PH about two years back to write Total test for experienced hire. By my assessment I did exceptionally well. They also asked technical questions on the job, which I answered with ease from experience. ONLY TO LATER FIND OUT THAT THE VACANCY WAS FILLED BY PEOPLE WHO WERE ALREADY CONTRACT STAFFS WITH TOTAL. AFTER this experience I ceased to take all this oil co vacancies seriously. If i decide to work with any of the IOC's they will have to beg me to join them cos i know my stuff. THE QUESTION I KEPT ASKING MYSELF WAS WHY A COMPANY SUCH AS TOTAL WILL MAKE ME (AND A HOST OF OTHERS) SPEND MY HARD EARNED MONEY FROM LAGOS TO PH, WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE PLANS TO FILL UP THE VACANCY WITH CONTRACT STAFFS. TO FULFILL ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS I SUPPOSE.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Heritage Bank Starts Recruitment / Real Reason Why NPF Recruitment Of 10,000 Personnels Is Taking Too Long / 4 Tips To Help You Write A CV When You’ve Got No Work Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.