Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,634 members, 7,827,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? (15131 Views)

How Much Does Africa''s Young Entrepreneur Pay Accountants At Entry Level? / How Much Does Africa's Young Entrpreneur Pay Accountants At Entry Level / Please Any Idea How Much NEITI Pays At Entry Level 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by livgenius: 10:24am On May 26, 2017
charles009:

I left a 720k net job to become an enterpreneur. My 25 year old brother who works for me makes more than my initial salary monthly. Work towards liberating yourself from slavery.

Is it your slavery?

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 10:24am On May 26, 2017
These same HR are the people who recruit employees based on subjective criteria such as man know man, Abuja connection, brown envelope, long leggism and other means of subjective recruitment.

Lmao grin grin
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Originalsly: 10:25am On May 26, 2017
puyol5:

You even put 2 years experience for 3months internship role. If someone did not give you a chance to prove yourself would you be where you are today?
Why would you apply for a job that require 2 years experience if you don't have it? ...and that's the best you can come up with?..they should give you a chance because someone had to give them a chance?...this statement exposes you as someone who is narrow minded.... has poor reasoning skills... would not be a problem solver.... cannot be a team player....would blame others for lack of progress all because you refuse to look into the mirror..... not asking yourself what you can do improve yourself to be a competitive applicant. Shouldn't you be advising readers not to apply for jobs if they haven't met the requirements?...shouldn't you be advising them that they should take even the low paying jobs from start ups so that they can have job experience?
This is just one point of your write up that I picked on to show why soooo many people are not hired.... it has nothing to do with connections. What you are doing in this write up is to encourage others to lay blame on connections rather than get their act together and be better prepared. The job market is very competitive....few jobs...manyyyy applicants. .. the better few would be chosen. Do people get jobs because of connections?..sure... that's worldwide... not restricted to Nigeria. What also is worldwide is failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

2 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ireneidiva(f): 10:34am On May 26, 2017
charles009:

I left a 720k net job to become an enterpreneur. My 25 year old brother who works for me makes more than my initial salary monthly. Work towards liberating yourself from slavery.
oga you guys should stop this entrepreneur rubbish. Most people need a stable environment to work for a while. They also need to save up before they can start their own business. Why did you have to work in your 720k net job in the first place. Stop saying nonsense and derailing this thread. op its not true. Most entry level jobs are actually by merit. Check out the big 4. Will soon share my story.

2 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by mfm04622: 10:37am On May 26, 2017
This is not true! In fact, it is as experienced hire that you need connection to get jobs. For entry level, vacancies are more and those with connections can't fill all the slots
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by nobodysmanrob(m): 10:41am On May 26, 2017
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ebuclassic18(m): 10:43am On May 26, 2017
Mixty:
Don't believe all that. Believe in God and in yourself.

I wasn't connected but I have worked in tje biggest government firm in Nigeria and 2 other private corporations.

All I did was pass the aptitude tests and interviews. Sometimes you may be intimated by the sheer number of applicants. But believe me, if you distinguish yourself, you will make it and get called.

My first job - HR told us 5,000 to 6,000 candidates wrote the test. after the whole process, only 6 were called to resume. I was one of them.

My 2nd job - 250, 000 candidates wrote the test. After the whole process, about 530 were called to resume. I was one of them.

3rd and current job - About 17,000 wrote the test. After the whole process, only 32 were called to resume. I was one of them.

I didn't know even one person.

And I know several people who got jobs without knowing anyone.

i agree with you sir,but maybe your being a bit selfish, is working out for you thats fine one day your gona experience what the young man is saying

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 10:46am On May 26, 2017
jossy26:

@op I want to categorically tell you that it's the big corporation that recruits based on merit not like those upcoming firms, what you need to focus on is the value you want and will be adding to the firm and not just go there with some online generalised format for your interview. You also need to be positive while you search, if you keep that mindset of they already know who they would employ I bet you may not get the job.... there are a miliion and one jobs gotten based on merit and not man know man.

Cheers

Maybe Multinationals @bolded.

Some big indigenous firms like Dangote flour/ sugar/cement, BUA group, and Flour mills plc hardly recruit based on merit.
na man know man o.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:47am On May 26, 2017
gentlegenius:
I don't think there's any other country in the world that practice nepotism more than Nigeria. This is why we will continue to see square pegs in round holes everywhere. I remember when I wanted to do industrial attachment in a company in my local government area. I wrote and send three application letters in one year but to no avail. I finally met a big man who happens to work there and all he did was to take me directly to the HRM of the company and I was asked to go for medical immediately and start work the following day. By the time I resumed work and met others, I was shocked to hear how they got to work there. Some told me they never applied to work there, some say they got a call from big men to come and resume work there. Some say they were sent there by people in government. But there were many other like me who are out there writing applications and trying to follow due process to enter the company but will never succeed.
This is why Nigeria will never move forward as a country.
my broda thank you for these revelations and saying the truth, not like the wicked fellows here denying and lying up and down.

3 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 10:51am On May 26, 2017
mfm04622:
This is not true! In fact, it is as experienced hire that you need connection to get jobs. For entry level, vacancies are more and those with connections can't fill all the slots

Yes there are people who get jobs based on merit.

For instance, I shake my head when I see people struggle for jobs in government agencies like FIRS or FRSC.

I have family members who got jobs there without stress because they have the connection.

Sometimes they do secret recruitment, Even when they publish, it's just to fulfill righteousness.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Mixty: 10:52am On May 26, 2017
ebuclassic18:

i agree with you sir,but maybe your being a bit selfish, is working out for you thats fine one day your gona experience what the young man is saying

I can sense some jealousy in your post. What has selfishness got to do with what I posted? I posted this to motivate people and you are here talking about selfishness.

Are you praying that I experience what he is saying? Dude, I sense some bitterness and I really don't like relating to bitter people.

Quote me but you won't get a response from me again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Calendermokola: 10:58am On May 26, 2017
kateskitty:
It was hard for me before I got a job without connection but not impossible.
In 10 months I went from a 30K job to 150K. Got both jobs without knowing anybody, my well crafted CV did all the talking

Please send your CV to Calendersango@gmail.Com

Let me also Craft my own . God bless you as you do . Thanks .
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Nobody: 11:01am On May 26, 2017
From my experience, it's because you need a guarantor who is a staff of the firm.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by spacyzuma(m): 11:24am On May 26, 2017
Joavid:

Yes there are people who get jobs based on merit.

For instance, I shake my head when I see people struggle for jobs in government agencies like FIRS or FRSC.

I have family members who got jobs there without stress because they have the connection.

Sometimes they do secret recruitment, Even when they publish, it's just to fulfill righteousness.

About the 1st bolded...I consider myself very VERY fortunate to have gotten all my jobs and scholarships on merit.
About the 2nd bolded...You should get yourself into one of those.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by nell4: 11:34am On May 26, 2017
puyol5:
We have seen on NL here. How so many HR managers/executive come to give advice on how to write a CV and prepare for an interview in order to get a job.

These same HR are the people who recruit employees based on subjective criteria such as man know man, Abuja connection, brown envelope, long leggism and other means of subjective recruitment.

Before I continue, sm NL members would say learn a skill and I ask them with which money? I have been to interviews and aptitude tests and I discovered that most start-ups recruit on merit at entry level because they don't pay well but most big firms don't employ on merit at entry level. The funniest thing, their special candidate attends the interview/test with other candidates that apply to fulfill all righteousness.

What's the hope of that women who sold Akara to send her child to school? What's the hope of that carpenter who sent his child to school?

Enough of the how to write CV seminars and start recruiting the right way. You even put 2 years experience for 3months internship role. If someone did not give you a chance to prove yourself would you be where you are today?

Before you come for me I am a social media marketer and a sports editor/writer. Even if you learn a skill you might be employed by someone also, not everyone who has a skill is an entrepreneur.

No more advise, do the right thing all HR Managers and officers.

Thank you
if I tell you all the professional courses I acquired these past years just to be favorable, you will not believe it. During those past years, i was writing professional exams for my classmates on computer tech cos I was the best then. when etisalat came to Nigeria and i went to their office to submi t my C.V, a guy I met saw all my qualification and refused to submit his. he felt intimidated and went home. he was very sure that they were going to employ me.That was how all my knowledge was going down day by day. I looked for job and got tired. Anyways one oyibo employed me online and since then I've been working for him. online sure pass jaree

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ifynwaba(m): 11:39am On May 26, 2017
kateskitty:
In 10 months I went from a 30K job to 150K. Got both jobs without knowing anybody, my well crafted CV did all the talking
boss what grade did you graduate with? I graduated with 2.2 any hope for me
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by nell4: 11:45am On May 26, 2017
!
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by PastorAji(m): 11:47am On May 26, 2017
"WELL CRAFTED CV INDEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD"
NAIRALAND SEE ONE OF THEM
kateskitty:

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by ifynwaba(m): 11:48am On May 26, 2017
livgenius:
When I finished NYSC, I got 4 jobs in big organisations without knowing anybody. 1 foreign bank and 3 out of the big 4 accounting firms. The bank job was even waiting for me before I finished NYSC. Within 3 months after I resumed work at one of the big four, I left to an even better job at another foreign bank. All these just by submitting cv and going for test and interviews.
Don't let anybody fool you that there are no jobs. They are there. Dont let anybody fool you that your degree class doesn't matter. It does. It gets you past the initial screening at the very least. Tailoring your cv to each job. And knowing how to behave at interviews. Confidence and a hint of cockiness and of course you must know what you are talking about. People go for interviews
without researching the job or the organisation
How will you be successful?

I started from a 120k job and moved to an over 400k job without knowing anybody
boss abeg what grade did you graduate with? I graduated with 2.2 and am emotionally down now any hope for me?
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by bxcode(m): 12:00pm On May 26, 2017
When you think the problem is out there, you empower what is out there to control you^
You only get what you believe and imagine^
I got my present job of over 200k p/m without any connection^
Lastly, make God your best friend becus he breaks protocol s like kilode

2 Likes

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by keko14: 12:29pm On May 26, 2017
iamDannyBoy:

Big Lie..Merit does exist big time...its because you lazy to try...put your merit to action and let God rule..am a living witness...It happened this year not even last year..xo what are we not talking...Merit exists big time.
remember u said let God rule...my friend merit is out of the way went God rule.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by NairalandCS(m): 12:31pm On May 26, 2017
AceRoyal:

Very myopic and corrupt mindsets such as this poster are the real problem of this country!I Pray u never attain any position of power until u change Ur mindset.
A morally bankrupt society can never make any meaningful progress or sustainable development.
My only consolation is that there are still very few upright people, have met some even on this forum

"It is basic human instinct to take care/help it's own before others" - A wise man

Quote me when you stop being a hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by NairalandCS(m): 12:35pm On May 26, 2017
safarigirl:
guilty as charged, huh?

So, which is it? You fixed your person or someone fixed you? The both perhaps?

@OP, the high level of incompetence I'm all institutions in Nigeria is a result of this repulsive man-know-man thing. When people slip in their dimwitted friends in roles better suited for sharp people, incompetence becomes the order of the day

Funny enough none.

Man-know-man as you call it is just human nature. We've all been guilty of it at some point.

1 Like

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by galax1: 1:20pm On May 26, 2017
Please send your CV to usiikei@gmail.Com
Let me also Craft my own . God bless you as you do
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by aamstih: 2:07pm On May 26, 2017
A quick one pls, is connection the same thing as referral or could both terms be used interchangeably?
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by donqx: 2:53pm On May 26, 2017
Nigerian factor
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Wolexpoly: 3:24pm On May 26, 2017
DATS NIGERIA FOR YOU MY GUY.....AND THATSBIS THE MORE REASON WHY PPLE LOOKS FOR SHORTCUTS LIKE YAHOO YAHOO AND PONZI....AMOUNTING TO THE ""KIN SA TI LOWO, OLE LO BOMO JE ANTHEM"" BY YOUTHS OF NOWADAYS
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Macgabe(m): 3:31pm On May 26, 2017
Fatchi:
honestly it really painful!!!!am just tired of all the struggle and sleepless night and at the end nothing to show for all those hard work. even the skill I learnt no money to even begin. I just need God!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmm.... "learn a trade" is just a way to pacify the less privileged ( those with God as their hope). I have friends who learn trade(cake, catering decoration etc) but I tell you, they barely get orders within months. How do one cope with that?? Only God will save us.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by livgenius: 3:43pm On May 26, 2017
aamstih:
A quick one pls, is connection the same thing as referral or could both terms be used interchangeably?

Connection is when someone gets a job over a more qualified or equally qualified candidate because he knows someone.
Referral is when you are well qualified for the role and someone that knows this send your cv to whoever is hiring for them to make a decision without trying to influence the outcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by Psalmwhyte(m): 4:10pm On May 26, 2017
puyol5:
We have seen on NL here. How so many HR managers/executive come to give advice on how to write a CV and prepare for an interview in order to get a job.

Before I continue, sm NL members would say learn a skill and I ask them with which money? I have been to interviews and aptitude tests and I discovered that most start-ups recruit on merit at entry level because they don't pay well but most big firms don't employ on merit at entry level. The funniest thing, their special candidate attends the interview/test with other candidates that apply to fulfill all righteousness.

What's the hope of that women who sold Akara to send her child to school? What's the hope of that carpenter who sent his child to school?

Enough of the how to write CV seminars and start recruiting the right way. You even put 2 years experience for 3months internship role. If someone did not give you a chance to prove yourself would you be where you are today?

Before you come for me I am a social media marketer and a sports editor/writer. Even if you learn a skill you might be employed by someone also, not everyone who has a skill is an entrepreneur.

No more advise, do the right thing all HR Managers and officers.

Thank you

OP d whole tin taya me sef.
Re: Only The Connected Get The Jobs At Entry Level. But Why? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:52pm On May 26, 2017
livgenius:

Connection is when someone gets a job over a more qualified or equally qualified candidate because he knows someone.
Referral is when you are well qualified for the role and someone that knows this send your cv to whoever is hiring for them to make a decision without trying to influence the outcome.
pure genius!
this is class!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? / 10 Reasons Why You Are Still Looking For A Job / A Job In A Multinational Company Or A Masters Degree In France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.