Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? (4532 Views)

Poll: What are the Niger Delta militants fighting for.

Themselves: 76% (13 votes)
Development: 23% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigerian Soldier Killed While Fighting For Nigeria (photo) / Gov. Aliyu Of Niger State Loses Senate Election / Ambode And Agbaje Fighting For Igbo Votes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by dblock(m): 7:35am On Feb 23, 2007
His name Philippe, It says Seun. He lives in Nigeria, his name is Seun. Of course he can speak
Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by Mariory(m): 11:32am On Feb 23, 2007
Meanwhile progress is being made in the Niger Delta but, not by the state governments.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article16

Trofani, in Bayelsa, gets first road via NDDC

FOR the people of Trofani community, Sagbama Local council of Bayelsa State, it was celebration time yesterday as motor vehicles drove into the area through a 17-kilometre Odi-Trofani Road, constructed by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

It was the first time a vehicle would enter the area since the community was founded.

Until now, the only means of movement to the community was a rigorous journey by boat or pontoon through the Patani end of the River Niger in Delta State.

On sighting the NDDC vehicles making the maiden trip into their land, the community went agog with shout of "motor bodo, motor bodo," (motor has come, motor has come) renting the air.

Addressing the people, the NDDC Acting Managing Director, Mr. Timi Alaibe, who was inspecting the commission's projects in the state, said braving the environmental challenge and constructing such a road network to the community was not only an indication of how dear the NDDC and the Federal Government hold them, but also a sign that there was hope for Trofani people.

"For the first time in the life of this community, cars are driving in. We have blazed the trail in driving through this road to your community, though work is still in progress", Alaibe said.

While noting that the Olusegun Obasanjo administration had brought a lease of life to the people of the Niger Delta region, he said the NDDC would continue to do what it could to give succour to the people of the oil-rich area.

The Chairman of Trofani Community, Mr. Valentine Warebi Ekiseowei, said he did not believe a vehicle would drive into his community in his lifetime. He expressed appreciation to the NDDC for executing the project.
Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by LePhilippe(m): 8:52pm On Feb 23, 2007
Sarcasm my friend has to be combated with sarcasm!!!
Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by Wetin: 9:33am On Feb 26, 2007
Well, ObJ should also assist in this fight. He should be able to know what they want.If they need development in their area, then he should develop it but if the demand is much then they are fighting for themselves.
Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by Y2k(m): 9:42am On Feb 26, 2007
@ Wetin,
If there should be any development in Niger Delta, Are militants going to be the contractors? NO. So their lucrative job will continue except if their activities are put to stop. Their fighting cannot yeild success.The basic thing is dialog and negotiations mostly with the state government.
Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by westlife(m): 9:47am On Feb 26, 2007
That Job is lucrative One (1) Hostage N10,000,000.00 naira. Is a big cash for those militant. So they are fighting for themselve.The federal and state government should look into it. And their activties should be put to stop. They are human hunters and money hunters.
Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by maxandy(m): 10:01am On Feb 26, 2007
it is amazing that it took hostage taking to get the attention of Nigeria on the Niger-Delta situation. well for those of u who are saying that the militants are fighting to enrich themselves i have this to tell u, they are only collecting more funds to fight the battle. As a nation we have lost a very vital element of human existence - TRUTH. In Nigeria today what we get here and there are half-truths - if i recall half-truths are lies. Until we start speaking the truth, the issue of the Niger - Delta will always arise. Before now it was illegal bunkering that was the major issue to the FG, the militants have added a new dimension to it, and i feel in my spirit that if we continually avoid saying the truth, a new dimension will be added in the near future.

God Help Nigeria
Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by donnymikky(m): 11:14am On Feb 26, 2007
it is amazing that it took hostage taking to get the attention of Nigeria on the Niger-Delta situation. well for those of u who are saying that the militants are fighting to enrich themselves i have this to tell u, they are only collecting more funds to fight the battle. As a nation we have lost a very vital element of human existence - TRUTH. In Nigeria today what we get here and there are half-truths - if i recall half-truths are lies. Until we start speaking the truth, the issue of the Niger - Delta will always arise. Before now it was illegal bunkering that was the major issue to the FG, the militants have added a new dimension to it, and i feel in my spirit that if we continually avoid saying the truth, a new dimension will be added in the near future.
So you support hostage taking for ransome?

God Help Nigeria
Why the prayer when you are canvassing for a new dimension to be added to hostage taking? Just remember that the issue of NigerDelta does not affect the F.G alone. Why not be courageous enough to stage a one-man-protest in Delta State and ask IBORI what he has done with the monthly allocation and 13% derivative fund his administration got so far? If truly you know the truth more than anyone else in this forum then follow my suggestion.
Re: Are Militants Fighting For Development Of Niger Delta Or Themselves? by tck2000(m): 8:54pm On Jan 11, 2020
dblock:
Finally someone who has the same perspectie as me. I've said this in a couple of threads before, The government may have neglected the region and they may not be in a position to condemn, but the militants of the Niger Delta are seriously not representing the region but hoping that the government will give in and install them as the default government of the region, which of course no Nigerian president will do wether it's Abacha or Nnamdi Azikwe, or Gowon or OBJ, the day that the Government give in completely is the day that pigs will fly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ / Transformation Of Nigerian Roads In The Last 2 Years / Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.