Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,117 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream (4525 Views)

Supreme Court Has Ended APC Pipedream On Fayose’s Victory - Aide / HELP !! Yoruba Plot To KILL Ibaka Deep Sea Port / Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 8:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
I ask this because 2015 is round the corner and Akpabio will leave office.So far no action just talk
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 8:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

The Akwa Ibom State government has said it is committed to commencing the construction of Ibaka Deep Seaport in partnership with the Federal Government.

Governor Godswill Akpabio disclosed this at a gala night organised in honour of the visiting United State Consul-General in Nigeria, Mr Jeffrey Hawkins.

The Consul-General was accompanied by the Minister of State for Trade and Investment, Mr Samuel Ortom.

Akpabio said that the seaport project was a major industrial concern for Akwa Ibom State.

The governor said that the need for continuous partnership between Nigeria and the United States in the promotion of trade and investments was imperative.

“We must continue to promote trade and the only way to do so is for us to continue to forge partnership.

“I thank you so far because so many American companies are showing interest in Nigeria and for most of them, the destination is Akwa Ibom State,’’ Akpabio said.

The Consul-General, Mr Jeffrey Hawkins, commended the government for the massive infrastructural development in the state.

Hawkins, who said that Akwa Ibom State was host to one of the largest American investments in Nigeria, thanked the state government for giving him a warm reception.

“I have been in Nigeria for two years now and I have visited 17 states. I have not seen such hospitality,” Hawkins sa
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by psucc(m): 9:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
You can mark the last line 'hospitality'. Any visitor treated to Le Meridien will always sing a different tune some even 4get their mission.

Anyway the seaport is a vision for the next generation. For now it remains a drain-pipe
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by boneruns(m): 9:49pm On Sep 16, 2013
Is Lekki Airport and Seaport a pipe-dream?

2 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 10:02pm On Sep 16, 2013
boneruns: Is Lekki Airport and Seaport a pipe-dream?
It could be though those are privately funded
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 1:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
So fr no budget no ground breaking no target completion date no nothing
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by agbameta: 2:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
Ibaka ko, keneri ni.

It's all talk, no construction, no budget, no pictures, nothing... just talk talk talk talk talk....
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 12:09pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda: So fr no budget no ground breaking no target completion date no nothing

It will be budgeted for in the last two budgets of akpabio's administration ie 2014 and 2015 budgets, so keep an eye for next year's budget . groundbreaking will begin next year as soon as funding is made available.

A lot has already been done, the necessary approvals from the federal govt + NPA has been secured. FG has approved a free trade license status for the 16,000Ha ibaka industrial city.

Land procurement for the seaport project has been completed and certificate of occupancy handed over to NPA http://www.nigerianports.org/news.aspx?id=251

Massive survey both on land and water by the technical partners and Architectural design of the project has been completed by Worley Parsons and CCECC respectively http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=2414&title=Ibaka-Seaport-architectural-design-ready-. This is a major construction work it involves a lot, so be patient.

Etebi- Ewang road with the longest bridge in the state is presently under construction in the state, this will be the major access road to the seaport, it will link the seaport to the east west road and construction of this road has reached advanced stage.

Trust Akpabio he is a promise keeper he has proven this time and time again remember what was said about the airport, stadium and many other projects in the states? today the narrative has changed.

Akpabio does not embark on projects haphazardly he takes his time and goes for the best, thats why he is delivering world class infrastructures.

4 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 12:21pm On Sep 21, 2013
the ibaka seaport project will be carried out in phases like the airport project. the first phase will be the seaport component and the second phase will involve the Ibaka industrial city and free trade zone development. in all the project has a 25 yrs development cycle.

This administration is determined to make significant inroad in the deep seaport developmental phase. and akpabio is working on that.
So for the past six years, the preliminary things as stated above has been ongoing and dont forget the numerous road shows that the project has taken overseas and nationally to create investors awareness which has yielded much results eg we are talking about it on this thread,but as Nigerians we want the tangible ie beginning of construction.

construction/ groundbreaking will begin next year so be patient,The architectural plans/ designs is already in, and CCECC has stated their readiness to mobilize to site as soon as the green light is given. Also bear in mind that a big project of this scope which involves FG (with all its relevant bureaucratic agencies) + State govt. + private investors is not a childs play.
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 1:15pm On Sep 21, 2013
ujoinme: the ibaka seaport project will be carried out in phases like the airport project. the first phase will be the seaport component and the second phase will involve the Ibaka industrial city and free trade zone development. in all the project has a 25 yrs development cycle.

This administration is determined to make significant inroad in the deep seaport developmental phase. and akpabio is working on that.
So for the past six years, the preliminary things as stated above has been ongoing and dont forget the numerous road shows that the project has taken overseas and nationally to create investors awareness which has yielded much results eg we are talking about it on this thread,but as Nigerians we want the tangible ie beginning of construction.

construction/ groundbreaking will begin next year so be patient,The architectural plans/ designs is already in, and CCECC has stated their readiness to mobilize to site as soon as the green light is given. Also bear in mind that a big project of this scope which involves FG (with all its relevant bureaucratic agencies) + State govt. + private investors is not a childs play.

The FG is not contributing a kobo to the project
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 1:23pm On Sep 21, 2013
we should only talk about a project when there are concrete plans. What is the difference between a project and a dream or the difference between a dream and a pipe dream. Contrators are "ALWAYS ready to mobilize" once give green light. So far there is no light just noise.
The FG is selling or concessioning existing ports and not putting ANY MONEY into new ones. In fact the FG relies on the constitution to frustrate new ports insisting on being given equity or refusing permisssion even without contributing a single KOBO. That is the case at LEKKI.

2015 i round the corner and it is becoming clear that Akpabio is dreaming. Having said that it is a good idea in theory which I support but the planning is just not there. Maybe when another governor come in it might happen. The other issue is this ; This project is proposed to be funded 100% by Akwa Ibom which has money but WHO will manage it. If it is managed by the NPA there will be trouble ahead. Anyway from all available evidence we might see a seaport at Ibadan before Ibaka .That is like Never
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 3:22pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda: we should only talk about a project when there are concrete plans. What is the difference between a project and a dream or the difference between a dream and a pipe dream. Contrators are "ALWAYS ready to mobilize" once give green light. So far there is no light just noise.
The FG is selling or concessioning existing ports and not putting ANY MONEY into new ones. In fact the FG relies on the constitution to frustrate new ports insisting on being given equity or refusing permisssion even without contributing a single KOBO. That is the case at LEKKI.

2015 i round the corner and it is becoming clear that Akpabio is dreaming. Having said that it is a good idea in theory which I support but the planning is just not there. Maybe when another governor come in it might happen. The other issue is this ; This project is proposed to be funded 100% by Akwa Ibom which has money but WHO will manage it. If it is managed by the NPA there will be trouble ahead. Anyway from all available evidence we might see a seaport at Ibadan before Ibaka .That is like Never

If all i have stated above smacks of lack/no planning on the seaport then i dont know what level of planning you are talking about. the FGs contribution to the port is going to be 20 percent and state and private sector will share 80% ownership and funding, Akpabio is serious about this project so i know he will get it done
The Ibaka sea port is not structured like the other 6 existing port in Nigeria which are fully owned and operated by the FG/NPA and concessions them out at their wimps.
The ibaka seaport ownership will be 3 tiered ie FG,STATE GOVT, AND PRIVATE SECTOR.
Substantial job will be done on this port before akpabio leaves office.AKS unlike most states are not waiting for FG for most things in their state, they built an airport without a kobo from the FG and have dualized most federal roads in the state without a kobo from FG so dont sweat it this project will be constructed.
I have already listed what has been done already for the project but u like most nigerians are not impressed with that until you see ground breaking and construction begin. I get that, but also realize that without those preliminary work there will be no groundbreaking/construction just be patient.

I can assure u there will be groundbreaking/construction/funding of the port starting 2014.

4 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 3:28pm On Sep 21, 2013
ujoinme:

The Ibaka sea port is not structured like the other 6 existing port in Nigeria which are fully owned and operated by the FG/NPA and concessions them out at their wimps.
The ibaka seaport ownership will be 3 tiered ie FG,STATE GOVT, AND PRIVATE SECTOR.
Substantial job will be done on this port before akpabio leaves office. i have already listed what has been done already for the project but u like most nigerians are not impressed with that until you see ground breaking and construction beginning. I get that, but also realize that without those preliminary work there will be no groundbreaking/construction just be patient.

WHO IS THIS PRIVATE INVESTOR. Has the investor been identified or being looked for.

NO NEW PORTS are being built with FG money and the FG has virtually SOLD most of Tin Can to Dangote and Italians.

For now Ibaka is a WISH and Not a plan. There is no investor who has committed to Ibaka seaport.
It is just like a woman saying "when I marry and start having children" . THAT IS A DREAM
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 3:35pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda:

WHO IS THIS PRIVATE INVESTOR. Has the investor been identified or being looked for.

NO NEW PORTS are being built with FG money and the FG has virtually SOLD most of Tin Can to Dangote and Italians.

For now Ibaka is a WISH and Not a plan. There is no investor who has committed to Ibaka seaport.
It is just like a woman saying "when I marry and start having children" . THAT IS A DREAM

you are entitled to your opinion any objective unbiased reader of my post will see reason. Dreaming is when you do not take any active step to realize your vision, It happens that you don't know the meaning of the word dream, i have listed the active steps taken on this project so far so it is left for nairalander to make an informed decision based on facts available not sentiments.

2 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 3:39pm On Sep 21, 2013
For your information China/CCECC is not only interested in building/constructing the port they are also actively sourcing funding for the port. at the moment the governor is about to sign a major funding MOU with the chinese govt. represented by their leader of parliament

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/08/ibaka-seaport-will-come-on-stream-before-i-leave-akpabio/
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 3:40pm On Sep 21, 2013
ujoinme:

you are entitled to your opinion any objective unbiased reader of my post will see reason. Dreaming is when you do not take any active step to realize your vision, i have listed the active steps taken on this project so far so it is left for nairalander to make an informed decision based on facts available not sentiments.

Good ! Facts!!! WHO IS THE INVESTOR
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 3:51pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda: Good ! Facts!!! WHO IS THE INVESTOR

The investors are chinese the mou was signed yesterday, so facts, and who they are will emerge next week since this is a weekend and the media is yet to carry the news in details.

But you do know that the chinese govt. is communist hence they still control most of the business in their country. When a high level official comes to make commitment on behalf of its govt you know they are serious.

The model in china is that they provide funding for projects that their construction firms are contracted to build that way they know that the fund will be used for the project and that it will also create jobs for their companies abroad. that way we in the third world get the infrastructure we need and china gets a market for its labour,technology and goods and also increase their international influence a win win for every one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by naijaking1: 3:52pm On Sep 21, 2013
You guys have to be carefull.
The same people who sing that Enugu should never have an international airport are also the same people who would come here to say that Ibaka would never succeed, all because there is already a similar deep sea facility in Lagos-requiring more customers, better management, and of course the usual increased goverment spending.

Airport, Sea ports, and even carmel ports should be local(state) efforts to be regulated by federal authorities like customs,etc.
Traders in Aba, Onitsha/Nnewi, and Bamenda need nearby deep sea port. Kudos to the state goverment for this foresight.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 21, 2013
Some people just want us to hear only about Fashola.It is either fashola this or fashola that !! Anyone else must be run down.SMH

6 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ichidodo: 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2013
@ujoinme, the individual you seem to be having an enlightened discussion with isn't a human being but a yoruba bigot who is goading you as you will notice from his imbecilic posts, pls refrain from denigratin yourself further with the cretin as most of us can see that Ibaka Seaport is definitely an ongoin project and by the grace of GOD will be completed in the nearest future.

2 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2013
naijaking1: You guys have to be carefull.
The same people who sing that Enugu should never have an international airport are also the same people who would come here to say that Ibaka would never succeed, all because there is already a similar deep sea facility in Lagos-requiring more customers, better management, and of course the usual increased goverment spending.

Airport, Sea ports, and even carmel ports should be local(state) efforts to be regulated by federal authorities like customs,etc.
Traders in Aba, Onitsha/Nnewi, and Bamenda need nearby deep sea port. Kudos to the state goverment for this foresight.

Am aware that some of this guys dont like seeing development anywhere out side of their region, and will wish that every project outside their tribal region become a pipe-dream,but that doesn't stop anything.
I know all the ridicule that was leveled on this webpage when the govt embarked on the airport project. a lot of people spewed vitriol on the project and the state govt today we know what the story is, they also said the stadium will not be built/ complete and many more projects thats going on in AKS but today those narrative has changed.
I predict the same with the seaport. Akpabio is not like most nigerian Leader when it comes to delivering political dividends. he is a promise keeper. let wait and see what 2014 will bring.

5 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 4:55pm On Sep 21, 2013
ujoinme:

The investors are chinese the mou was signed yesterday, so facts, and who they are will emerge next week since this is a weekend and the media is yet to carry the news in details.

But you do know that the chinese govt. is communist hence they still control most of the business in their country. When a high level official comes to make commitment on behalf of its govt you know they are serious.

[s]The model in china is that they provide funding for projects that their construction firms are contracted to build that way they know that the fund will be used for the project and that it will also create jobs for their companies abroad. that way we in the third world get the infrastructure we need and china gets a market for its labour,technology and goods and also increase their international influence a win win for every one.[/s]

The Chinese have signed SEVERAL MOUs about building refineries in Nigeria,Where are they? Nothing will happen until our own people start to invest. Thank God for Dangote. Thank God we are not waiting for Chinese refinery
The IDEA for the port is a good one but the truth is Akpabio has not done his homework. Part of the problem with Akpabio is he operates like a king and surrounds himself wit YESSMEN. If Apbabio is serious let him build the link road to the sea and leave the rest for Private investors they will come. First provide the road link and a viable plan for rail link to the surrounding states.

Frankly I can see you know little about what you are talking about and are indulging in Fantasy. The most lucrative business in Akwa Ibom remains Oil and gas. If Akpabio wants a seaport in Ibaka he should link Ibaka to the rest of the country with viable roads that can carry heavy goods

By the way a MOU is literally MEANINGLESS. It has NO VALUE because it carries no obligation.
The project is estimated at $3 billion where is that money coming from? Let him build the roads to Ibaka and stop making noise.
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda:

The Chinese have signed SEVERAL MOUs about building refineries in Nigeria,Where are they? Nothing will happen until our own people start to invest. Thank God for Dangote. Thank God we are not waiting for Chinese refinery
The IDEA for the port is a good one but the truth is Akpabio has not done his homework. Part of the problem with Akpabio is he operates like a king and surrounds himself wit YESSMEN. If Apbabio is serious let him build the link road to the sea and leave the rest for Private investors they will come. First provide the road link and a viable plan for rail link to the surrounding states.

Frankly I can see you know little about what you are talking about and are indulging in Fantasy. The most lucrative business in Akwa Ibom remains Oil and gas. If Akpabio wants a seaport in Ibaka he should link Ibaka to the rest of the country with viable roads that can carry heavy goods

By the way a MOU is literally MEANINGLESS. It has NO VALUE because it carries no obligation.
The project is estimated at $3 billion where is that money coming from? Let him build the roads to Ibaka and stop making noise.

Like i said the project will be in phases and akpabio will make major in roads on this seaport as he has already done. If you were not blinded by sentiments you would have noticed that i mentioned the etebi - ewang road whose construction has reached an advanced stage to be an access road for the port, but i guess facts is not involved in proving your pipe dream theory which is but your selfish wish.

BTW since you created this thread you have not provided any substantial proof that the seaport is a pipedream. can you cite any document that backs your claim or you are just here to run your mouth on issue that you have no mastery of.

I dare you to proof your claim.

3 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 5:24pm On Sep 21, 2013
ujoinme:

Like i said the project will be in phases and akpabio will make major in roads on this seaport as he has already done. I you were not blinded by sentiments you would have noticed that i mentioned the etebi - ewang road whose construction has reached an advanced stage to be an access road for the port, but i guess facts is not involved in proving your pipe dream theory which is but your selfish wish.

BTW since you created this thread you have not provided any substantial proof that the seaport is a pipedream. can you cite any document that backs your claim or you are just here to run your mouth on issue that you have no mastery of.

I dare you to proof your claim.
I doubt very much you went to school otherwise you will not ask me to prove a negative. Can you prove there is nothing like mami water? If any body claims there is mami water it is there job to prove it not the job of those who disagree.
Can I prove there are no angels living in the moon no I cannot so that demand that I should prove what is not is ridiculous.
Akpabio told us he will deliver a seaport before leaving office and as the day draws closer he starts shifting the goalpost and producing all kinds of alibis and excuses. Clearly it is NOT going to happen before he leaves office and so let us stop kidding ourselves.
Can you give substantial proof that there are no mami water
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 5:27pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda:
I doubt very much you went to school otherwise you will not ask me to prove a negative. Can you prove there is nothing like mami water? If any body claims there is mami water it is there job to prove it not the job of those who disagree.
Can I prove there are no angels living in the moon no I cannot so that demand that I should prove what is not is ridiculous.
Akpabio told us he will deliver a seaport before leaving office and as the day draws closer he starts shifting the goalpost and producing all kinds of alibis and excuses. Clearly it is NOT going to happen before he leaves office and so let us stop kidding ourselves.

you are just ranting, he said he will do it before leaving office has he left office yet? am done talking to you you just revealed your bias. bye

1 Like

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by ujoinme: 5:28pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda:

You are just ranting, he said he will do it before leaving office has he left office yet? am done talking to you you just revealed your bias. bye!

1 Like

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 5:32pm On Sep 21, 2013
ujoinme:

You are just ranting, he said he will do it before leaving office has he left office yet? am done talking to you you just revealed your bias. bye!
He said it will cost $3 billion where is that going to come from,kidnapping? he has less than 20 months in office and they have not got the money. Even if the money was there 20 months is not realistic.
Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 21, 2013
All these yorubas and their phd (pull him down) syndrome.today,its enugu is poor and dirty so they don't deserve an international airport,next day its akwa ibom should not have a deep sea port,tomorrow it will be benue state does not deserve cottage and fruit processing industries.na wa for una.

7 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by kufre2010: 8:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
I don't know why most Yorubas are so bad and don't wish good things happen to any other tribe apart from theirs. When the Idea Of a seaport was conceived Majority of Akwa Ibomite knew some Yorubas will try to trunket that Idea from coming to reality. These yorubas has dominated and controls even the oil companies in Akwa Ibom. Imagin Exxon Mobil will drill oill in Akwa Ibom but their administrative office is in Lagos. They will drill oil in Akwa Ibom but employ people to work from Lagos. Yorubas at the herm of affairs never favour the Akwa Ibom people.

1 Like

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by Samxiulee: 9:29pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda:
the way some of you guys go about asking some questions is way below belt,and you are making enemies for other yoruba people like me,how many thread have you opened to ask what fayemi and Ajimobi are doing?how do we in SW industrialise our region?
Akpabio said he will do it before the end of his tenure,that statement is subjective,it might mean that he will start work on it,someone just told you that they are building the longest bridge in the state to connect to the port,you are asking for roads and rails to link to other states,are the roads and rails going to be on the water?
Abeg let's face our own problem first,if the port comes up Good,don't let others think we don't want them to develop with a thread like this pls.

3 Likes

Re: Is Ibaka Seaport A Pipedream by omonnakoda: 10:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
Sam xiu lee: the way some of you guys go about asking some questions is way below belt,and you are making enemies for other yoruba people like me,how many thread have you opened to ask what fayemi and Ajimobi are doing?how do we in SW industrialise our region?
Akpabio said he will do it before the end of his tenure,that statement is subjective,it might mean that he will start work on it,someone just told you that they are building the longest bridge in the state to connect to the port,you are asking for roads and rails to link to other states,are the roads and rails going to be on the water?
Abeg let's face our own problem first,if the port comes up Good,don't let others think we don't want them to develop with a thread like this pls.
Do I know you? What is this "we" you are talking about?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Was Buhari Forced To Attend This Weddng (photo) / Kerosene Sold 50 Naira -first Time In History / Some Of The Funny Explanations Being Given By The Goats Of GEJ's Yam Festival!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.