Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,777 members, 7,817,201 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. (22570 Views)

How I Survived My 35 Years In The Oil Industry / Is This True About People Working In Lagos? / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by anigbajumo(m): 10:08am On May 28, 2017
lolaxavier:
As lucrative as the course is, it may be sometimes frustrating​ kick-starting in that field. I had my Bsc in Applied Geophysics and my masters in Exploration Geophysics but as fate would have it, I didn't get to find my way into the industry. At the end, I ended up in another field entirely and I have built a lucrative six-year career in it.

Hmmm,Kudos to you for brave step thereafter.Can I pm you sir??
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Mrkenz: 10:15am On May 28, 2017
Good day great Geoscientists, am a Geophysicist graduate,currently serving in Lagos. I'm looking for an Oil or solid mining affiliated company that I can serve with as place of primary assignment , please anyone with link or advice should please assist me. Thank you
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by stuffs4me(m): 10:18am On May 28, 2017
vingeophysicist:
op you ask a very good question .i am a geophysicist ,a fresh graduate though ,really entering the industry is almost impossible but it takes determination and willingness.i am saying these not because am in the industry but because i have two close pal in the industry.The first one is in TOTAL and he is an exploration engineer but he got it the normal way we know. (summiting an exquisite CV,performing well in aptitude test and also the interview and mind you he was an OND holder before he was employed ).All of them where trained in china after the employment.OP my advice is these dont wait for employment in the industry ,start doing something because there is no time .I too love the industry but i indulge myself in something else (cisco networking and web developing).GOD we see us through .

This your story doesn't add up, how can an OND holder be working as an exploration engineer.

Why tell lies, why deceive people.

3 Likes

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by ayamAgenius: 10:34am On May 28, 2017
By making the right choices at the right time.

You can start off looking at small oil and gas indigenous companies. Most of these companies service oil fields of several Big E & P companies. What does it do for you? It keeps you busy and increases your wealth of knowledge and handson experience. Sadly, most of these companies will pay you a pittance. While at it, get a masters degree. Once you have gathered some pretty good experiences + a completed advance degree or one in-view, send unsolicited emails to E & P companies or fill out the career section in their website. They'll find you interesting. Some of these companies will be interested in the knowledge you have acquired in a field adjacent to theirs, which they may have spotted in your resume. Goodluck
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 10:42am On May 28, 2017
BroZuma:
Op leave the big names and start with an oil servicing company to get at least two years working experience before focusing your attention on the big names...

My target is Shell and I'm almost there.
I won't mind if you can provide links here on how to join the servicing companies you talking about. If you read through my post, you will see where I said you can post openings wether permanent, temporary or internship in your work place or sister companies.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 11:10am On May 28, 2017
ayamAgenius:
By making the right choices at the right time.

You can start off looking at small oil and gas indigenous companies. Most of these companies service oil fields of several Big E & P companies. What does it do for you? It keeps you busy and increases your wealth of knowledge and handson experience. Sadly, most of these companies will pay you a pittance. While at it, get a masters degree. Once you have gathered some pretty good experiences + a completed advance degree or one in-view, send unsolicited emails to E & P companies or fill out the career section in their website. They'll find you interesting. Some of these companies will be interested in the knowledge you have acquired in a field adjacent to theirs, which they may have spotted in your resume. Goodluck
Nice contribution. You sure have great ideas in stock. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by olasmiles: 11:31am On May 28, 2017
Talking about getting a job as a geoscientist in the industry... I stand to be corrected, but citing people I know working in the industry as examples, MOST TIMES not ALL TIMES though, it's by the environment u acquired ur degree and by recommendation. Acquiring ur certificate outside the shores of this country as far as geoscience is concerned gives an edge and makes you look attractive to these firms for u to even get an invite for test/interview.....then recommendation, this also plays a vital role to getting the job. But above all, one must be intellectually sound as well even for the two points to work out favorably. I just completed my msc degree in Geology too and I know people very close people working in OICs and NOCs, majority of them had foreign certificates. And one more thing we need to understand too, these coys actually need more engineers than geoscientists, before just one geoscientist would be employed, about 5 - 7 engineers would have been employed. A case study, schlumberger is currently recruiting but for the position of software engineer, when I checked courses to be likely considered for the role, geology wasn't there. U can check it out too: http://careers.slb.com/en/recentgraduates/engineering/software_eng.aspx

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by AkanUdoette(m): 11:40am On May 28, 2017
ayusco85:

How then does one get in?
U can be so annoying.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 11:47am On May 28, 2017
niyogeol:
I won't mind if you can provide links here on how to join the servicing companies you talking about. If you read through my post, you will see where I said you can post openings wether permanent, temporary or internship in your work place or sister companies.

We are currently looking for experienced Geomatics/Survey Engineers
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 28, 2017
I won't advice any young Nigerian to study this course. The problem our youths/ students have is basically lack of foresight. I myself was a victim of this. Now, what I mean is many lack the ability to see into the future. We dwell on the current/immediate and past situation/scenario to choose our career/ business path. We all want to venture into what's paying now forgetting that we are in the technological age where things change in a moment. Gone are the days of industries. No inventions anymore thus no new industry. What it is now is Innovation in form of technology that complements this industries.
OP,Geoscience itself is a study/theoretical career. It is not practical as such compared to other science positions in the Oil industry. Geoscience as regards to oil exploration paid years back when IOC's were aggressively exploring. These days they are developing and having appraisals of discovered fields thus not much opportunities for geoscientist. You see that some are even selling assets. They require more of the experienced hands to do these that's why you find that many university lecturers are consultants to IOC's in Geoscience and petrophysics. My advice is, if you want a career in the Oil industry as as geoscientist, make sure you are graduated at either masters or PH.D level, intern with companies of choice. Have a good relationship with lecturers that are consultants.
The sad truth is gone are the days of Oil as the world's power. Oil is loosing it's value day by day. The price will average at a profitable level for sometime but I' ll advice you to look beyond oil and gas in your geoscience career. If my knowledge serves me right, I discovered/probable reserves can serve the world for the next 50 years. So you see, not much exploration is being done plus the renewables and electric motors are not helping. Any thing can happen tomorrow. If I were starting out today and looking for the same kind of opportunity to make a big impact in the world, I would consider three fields.
One is artificial intelligence. We have only begun to tap into all the ways it will make people’s lives more productive and creative. The second is energy, because making it clean, affordable, and reliable will be essential for fighting poverty and climate change. The third is the biosciences, which are ripe with opportunities to help people live longer, healthier lives.

15 Likes

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 12:20pm On May 28, 2017
BroZuma:

We are currently looking for experienced Geomatics/Survey Engineers
Do well by posting the link so that qualIfied people will apply.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Culin(f): 12:28pm On May 28, 2017
Ish. Was hoping to see helpful comments as I'm at a crossroads making a decision between geophysics and biophysics.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by kenx1(m): 12:31pm On May 28, 2017
majekdom2:
I won't advice any young Nigerian to study this course. The problem our youths/ students have is basically lack of foresight. I myself was a victim of this. Now, what I mean is many lack the ability to see into the future. We dwell on the current/immediate and past situation/scenario to choose our career/ business path. We all want to venture into what's paying now forgetting that we are in the technological age where things change in a moment. Gone are the days of industries. No inventions anymore thus no new industry. What it is now is Innovation in form of technology that complements this industries.
OP,Geoscience itself is a study/theoretical career. It is not practical as such compared to other science positions in the Oil industry. Geoscience as regards to oil exploration paid years back when IOC's were aggressively exploring. These days they are developing and having appraisals of discovered fields thus not much opportunities for geoscientist. You see that some are even selling assets. They require more of the experienced hands to do these that's why you find that many university lecturers are consultants to IOC's in Geoscience and petrophysics. My advice is, if you want a career in the Oil industry as as geoscientist, make sure you are graduated at either masters or PH.D level, intern with companies of choice. Have a good relationship with lecturers that are consultants.
The sad truth is gone are the days of Oil as the world's power. Oil is loosing it's value day by day. The price will average at a profitable level for sometime but I' ll advice you to look beyond oil and gas in your geoscience career. If my knowledge serves me right, I discovered/probable reserves can serve the world for the next 50 years. So you see, not much exploration is being done plus the renewables and electric motors are not helping. Any thing can happen tomorrow. If I were starting out today and looking for the same kind of opportunity to make a big impact in the world, I would consider three fields.
One is artificial intelligence. We have only begun to tap into all the ways it will make people’s lives more productive and creative. The second is energy, because making it clean, affordable, and reliable will be essential for fighting poverty and climate change. The third is the biosciences, which are ripe with opportunities to help people live longer, healthier lives.

Well said!!!!!
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 28, 2017
niyogeol:
Do well by posting the link so that qualIfied people will apply.

I accept PMs.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Mediapace: 12:38pm On May 28, 2017
seankay:
I'm a Geoscientist but my dream is to be my own boss.

Pls expantiate how

I heard that geology isn't prospective?
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 28, 2017
UncleSnr:
Talk true, you are doing a survey to know if they really got the job on merit or via nepotism and other corrupt vices.

hahahahaha. #BossTalk.

You're the man.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 28, 2017
niyogeol:
This can't be true.
Or you don't want it to be true

niyogeol:
To a large extent.........
Please tell us how you got that large measure cos in my country, the exact reverse is the case

niyogeol:
Aside from Exxonmobil and Shell that advertise for entry level position for geoscientists, I hardly see other companies do same. So I want to know how other companies get people into the arena.

That is exactly what the guy is trying to tell you.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 1:03pm On May 28, 2017
stuffs4me:

This your story doesn't add up, how can an OND holder be working as an exploration engineer.

Why tell lies, why deceive people.
The guy in question got the job with an ond far back in 2008, was still in secondary school then.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 28, 2017
Culin:
Ish. Was hoping to see helpful comments as I'm at a crossroads making a decision between geophysics and biophysics.
biophysics is a better option.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 1:21pm On May 28, 2017
So far, no one has shared his/her story. Does it mean no one has a story to tell here.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Meelaw(m): 1:26pm On May 28, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 28, 2017
Lemme book space o cool
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by stuffs4me(m): 1:44pm On May 28, 2017
vingeophysicist:
The guy in question got the job with an ond far back in 2008, was still in secondary school then.

OND holders are technicians not engineers. The number of years he has been working doesn't translate him into and engineer.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by romoruyi(m): 1:45pm On May 28, 2017
Yea...it aint easy! Am Geologist from uniport nd after graduation, opportunities closed up. I quickly venture into what I love most which was Information Tech and now, I have grown by God's grace.

The ideas is to diversify and get more skills on areas of interest and hobbies and develop yoursef. God has been faithful ooo
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by gly2ken: 2:11pm On May 28, 2017
I read geology in a foremost university in Nigeria and I started my career in banking before going into working as a tax accountant. Today I am a chartered accountant to the glory of God. when I was working in the bank, in my branch we have about 6 geologist. my advice is don't allow working in the oil industry limit you as a geology graduate.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by trilobite: 2:35pm On May 28, 2017
cris83:
I seriously dont know what went wrong? I have a bsc in geology and an Msc in peteoluem geoscience and yet i have still not been able to land a job in the oil industry since i graduated years back. |It has left me crestfallen and wondered why did i ever go this route and i remembered its because i loved geology and now its a thing of the past. That drive is dead. Now, i am looking for anything to do now just to be sane and keep myself busy from being depressed.

hope you don't mind me asking if you obtained your Msc in Nigeria.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by trilobite: 2:40pm On May 28, 2017
Culin:

If you're in Nigeria: geophysics.

if you're thinking abroad: biophysics.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Culin(f): 3:07pm On May 28, 2017
trilobite:

If you're in Nigeria: geophysics.
if you're thinking abroad: biophysics.
Nigeria. Thanks.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Culin(f): 3:08pm On May 28, 2017
majekdom2:
biophysics is a better option.
Why did you say that?
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 28, 2017
Culin:

Why did you say that?
people will always want to live longer and healthier. Biophysics could afford you a career in the medical industry, FMCG, RandD after your first degree. In Nigeria, mineral exploration isn't as profitable as one would think hence why Geoscientist always seek opportunity in the Oil industry. This is only my own advice. Except you are looking to work and start a career in another country, I will go for biophysics instead of geoscience

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Job Is Ruining My Family / First Bank To Providus Bank Or Globus Bank / NNPC Sacked 850 Refinery Workers - NUPENG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.