Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. (22568 Views)

How I Survived My 35 Years In The Oil Industry / Is This True About People Working In Lagos? / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by omobamatrix: 6:23pm On Jun 19, 2019
OjaP:
Reading all the comments has further confirmed my belief that it is tough to get an entry level position in the Nigerian O&G industry. From my findings, it appears those who entered the industry pre year 2000 are the lucky ones. Those who got in in the 80s and 70s are even luckier. It seems as though the oil companies are no longer interested in Nigerian trained geologists. At least going by their recent recruitment exercises.

I am a geologist myself. Many of my classmates couldn't get a job after we graduated. Less than 1% of us who are still in the industry got our jobs only because we schooled abroad. One of my friends who had a first class couldn't get into Chevron until he got a scholarship to study at Herriot Watt for his masters. Same thing with my friend who got into Shell. She got in only because she went for her masters at Manchester. This is so sad but it's what it is.

All these oil companies during the boom (2000-2012) go to top UK universities to recruit from there. In 2012, Exxon Mobil targeted USA graduates and invited me and some of my friends to write their aptitude tests in their North Houston office. Their plan was to conduct interviews a day after and pick successful candidates. Their requirements was that applicants must have a 2.1 or its equivalent in their first degree and must be graduating or just graduated from a USA university in 2012 and must have observed the mandatory 1 year NYSC. I didn't go for the test because I already got a job at that time.

How I got into the industry
I'm not sure if this would be helpful since I didn't get my job in Nigeria but will say it regardless - It may help someone. After I graduated with my BS degree. I couldn't get a job after NYSC. I decided to further my education in one of the top federal universities in the south western part of Nigeria. I didn't like the structure of the program and decided to go to the US to further my program. It turned out that was the best decision I have ever made my whole life. All of my friends who stayed and completed still couldn't get into the industry as I am typing. Anyways, I got admitted, traveled to the US, got my degree and got a job. I applied for so many jobs and attended so many interviews and got plenty rejections too but for some reason I was happy even with the rejections. I was happy that I was still considered given the many applicants that applied for jobs. Meanwhile, in Nigeria, you won't even make it to the testing stage talk less of interviewing.

The industry standard for an entry level geologist position is a masters degree or higher in Geology. So I will advise whoever targeting the industry to get a masters degree and if possible outside of the country and in top UK schools or elsewhere. Just like others have said, this is a very bad time for geologists and the oil industry. Companies are not hiring like they used to. Many that were hired were fired because of the price of oil. Personally, I advise people to consider engineering (not petroleum) instead of geology. I am working on a PhD in Engineering myself while also working full time. This way, if petroleum doesn't pay again, I will have an engineering degree that can open doors in other sectors. It is so difficult to get into other non oil industries if you have built your life around oil. This is why those laid off are unable to find jobs out side of oil because they can't transfer the geology knowledge to other sectors. In contrast, engineers (excluding petroleum) can work in other sectors because of their engineering background. This is just a personal opinion, others may not agree to it. But at the end of the day, whatever that makes you happy and put food on the table is what that matters.

Thank you for taking your time to write this Godbless you. Two years count down God help me!
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by OHIsIManuEL(m): 12:27pm On Mar 01, 2020
Icon4s:

Young Geoscientists in the house this is a golden opportunity.

The opportunities are few, when they come grab them with both hands and legs.

cc: niyogeol
Good afternoon, any advice for a fresh graduate with a B.Tech in marine science and technology (Marine Geoscience) on where to start building my career from?
I'm about going to NYSC
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 12:40pm On Mar 01, 2020
OHIsIManuEL:

Good afternoon, any advice for a fresh graduate with a B.Tech in marine science and technology (Marine Geoscience) on where to start building my career from?
I'm about going to NYSC

Just go for your NYSC and be on the lookout for any Oil and Gas opening
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by OHIsIManuEL(m): 12:48pm On Mar 01, 2020
Icon4s:

Just go for your NYSC and be on the lookout for any Oil and Gas opening

Ok, thank you
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 01, 2020
Can't believe I just stumbled on this thread.
Amazing and enlightening read. Thank you OP for creating this awakening thread. It's highly value laden.

Just like any other story on this thread, I am here now.

I have never been the guy who came to geology for the oil. Yes, it fascinates me. Yes I have combed through the history of oil and how oil has significantly transformed the world, it didn't bulge me an inch.

My sights have always been on GIS/earth science.

But then, I have not been privileged to go full blown into it.

I have had some basic trainings in GiS but I still want a niche specific one about Geology.

Now, I don't want to do my masters in Nigeria. I'd rather not do masters at all.

I want to know, if this path is good. I want to add a robust knowledge of data science and coding to this my flair.

I finished with something above a 4 pointer.

How can I forge on from this?
Can I get funding in US schools for this kind of programme or other programs?

I

How lucrative and employment worthy is GIS?

Note: for now, I am a freelancer. Working at my own liberty and learning to code...

@niyigeol
@icon4s
@GeoOla24

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 11:49pm On Mar 07, 2020
Peterjosh:
Can't believe I just stumbled on this thread.
Amazing and enlightening read. Thank you OP for creating this awakening thread. It's highly value laden.

I finished with something above a 4 pointer.

How can I forge on from this?
Can I get funding in US schools for this kind of programme or other programs?

How lucrative and employment worthy is GIS?

Note: for now, I am a freelancer. Working at my own liberty and learning to code...

@niyigeol
@icon4s
@GeoOla24
Happy you found this insightful. At this stage, information is what you really need to get started and give yourself that desired life or career path.

At the moment, I wouldn't advice anyone to go into geoscience with the sole aim of working in the oil and gas industry given the volatility and limited opportunities in that field. Again, GIS seem a bit narrow, and less of Geology as many other science and social science graduates can learn the skills needed to get a job or career in it.

On learning programming and coding, I must commend your vision to this. Coding and programming are great skills you have chosen to learn as many geoscience related industries are now looking at integrating machine learning, artificial intelligence and data analytics to their operations.

As for graduate studies overseas, it is achievable as long as you put your mind to it. This particular one is expensive but with adequate information and sacrifice, you can get fully funded scholarship from Nigeria or even abroad. For USA, make plans for GRE and TOEFL. With this, I am confident you will get full funding based on your stated GPA.

Environmental Science or Geology and even Engineering Geology is not a bad one you can delve into. But I will encourage you don't do a narrow aspect like Petroleum Geoscience that is mainly tailored towards the Oil and Gas Industry. Geophysics is also not a bad one.

I hope you find this useful. Cheers.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 08, 2020
niyogeol:
Happy you found this insightful. At this stage, information is what you really need to get started and give yourself that desired life or career path.

At the moment, I wouldn't advice anyone to go into geoscience with the sole aim of working in the oil and gas industry given the volatility and limited opportunities in that field. Again, GIS seem a bit narrow, and less of Geology as many other science and social science graduates can learn the skills needed to get a job or career in it.

On learning programming and coding, I must commend your vision to this. Coding and programming are great skills you have chosen to learn as many geoscience related industries are now looking at integrating machine learning, artificial intelligence and data analytics to their operations.

As for graduate studies overseas, it is achievable as long as you put your mind to it. This particular one is expensive but with adequate information and sacrifice, you can get fully funded scholarship from Nigeria or even abroad. For USA, make plans for GRE and TOEFL. With this, I am confident you will get full funding based on your stated GPA.

Environmental Science or Geology and even Engineering Geology is not a bad one you can delve into. But I will encourage you don't do a narrow aspect like Petroleum Geoscience that is mainly tailored towards the Oil and Gas Industry. Geophysics is also not a bad one.

I hope you find this useful. Cheers.

Thank you boss.

I really appreciate. I hope and believe I will share my success story here one day!!!!
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Onlinebar: 1:57pm On Mar 08, 2020
In my final year in school, I had two year 1 geology students as roommate.

I myself a geology student told them to change career path as early as possible.

I'm planning on doing another bsc in computer science or engineering outside the country
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 2:12pm On Mar 08, 2020
Peterjosh:

Thank you boss.

I really appreciate. I hope and believe I will share my success story here one day!!!!
Cheers man. I wish you success in your pursuit.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 2:22pm On Mar 08, 2020
Onlinebar:
In my final year in school, I had two year 1 geology students as roommate.

I myself a geology student told them to change career path as early as possible.

I'm planning on doing another bsc in computer science or engineering outside the country
Is this an enquiry or an observation? Computer science or engineering is not a bad one. Just make sure you put in your best and gain the requisite skills that will prepare you for the dynamic world we live. Cheers.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Onlinebar: 5:13pm On Mar 08, 2020
niyogeol:
Is this an enquiry or an observation? Computer science or engineering is not a bad one. Just make sure you put in your best and gain the requisite skills that will prepare you for the dynamic world we live. Cheers.
It's what I'll advice anyone considering the course.

You know you are in the wrong place when out of 78 students graduating, only 1 or 2 will get into the industry because the jobs are not there
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by PETERSHOR(m): 11:52am On Mar 13, 2020
Hi
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by olamoses75(m): 5:39pm On Mar 15, 2020
Please, I am an undergraduate student in a federal university studying physics. Which lucrative postgraduate course can I opt for after my first degree? Thanks.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by omobamatrix: 6:05pm On May 20, 2020
Good day Geologist in the house! It your boy again o. Currently in my 300level now and need an Internship Placement ( which I must start at least two months after the lock down). please, if you have a slot or are in a position to get one for me, I would really appreciate!

cc:
niyogeol
icon4s
ojap
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 6:18pm On May 20, 2020
omobamatrix:
Good day Geologist in the house! It your boy again o. Currently in my 300level now and need an Internship Placement ( which I must start at least two months after the lock down). please, if you have a slot or are in a position to get one for me, I would really appreciate!

cc:
niyogeol
icon4s
ojap

Well, I don't think I am in a position to help with this request. I hope Egbon Icon4s can help. I wish you luck in getting a placement. Cheers.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by eusuph99: 5:48am On May 21, 2020
Good day guys, I have been posted to serve in Ogun State. People that I know that are working in oil companies informed me that they've stopped accepting corpers to serve there. If there is anyone that knows a good PPA in Ogun State relating to Geology with or without pay should please contact me. Thank you.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by omobamatrix: 11:20am On May 21, 2020
niyogeol:
Well, I don't think I am in a position to help with this request. I hope Egbon Icon4s can help. I wish you luck in getting a placement. Cheers.
ok thanks sir!
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 3:04pm On May 21, 2020
omobamatrix:

cc:
niyogeol
icon4s
ojap

Internship Placement or you meant Industrial Training.

Well, truth is that in my company, for now IT placement submission is not being considered at all due to the pandemic. The ITs here have even been sent home since March.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 3:14pm On May 21, 2020
eusuph99:
Good day guys, I have been posted to serve in Ogun State. People that I know that are working in oil companies informed me that they've stopped accepting corpers to serve there. If there is anyone that knows a good PPA in Ogun State relating to Geology with or without pay should please contact me. Thank you.

Let me just chip in something here from my years of experience.

It is no do or die for you to have your PPA in an Oil company.

Teaching in a secondary school is one of the best ways of preparing you for the competition in the job market.

How?

When you teach, you read a lot and keep your brain very busy.

I taught Geography and Mathematics during my NYSC. It was quite refreshing. There is always usually mathematics in most aptitude test questions. Teaching keeps your brain active.

If you have an Opportunity in an Oil company fine, but if you don't, just go and teach. You will also gain from it.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by omobamatrix: 8:52pm On May 21, 2020
Icon4s:

Well, truth is that in my company, for now IT placement submission is not being considered at all due to the pandemic. The ITs here have even been sent home since March.
Thanks sir! for the response! Yes I mean IT placement. Pls incase place open 3months after lock down
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by eusuph99: 6:55pm On May 27, 2020
Icon4s:

Let me just chip in something here from my years of experience.

It is no do or die for you to have your PPA in a Oil company.

Teaching in a secondary school is one of the best ways of preparing you for the competition in the job market.

How?

When you teach, you read a lot a keep your brain very busy.

I taught Geography and Mathematics during my NYSC. It was quite refreshing. There is always usually mathematics in most aptitude test questions. Teaching keeps your brain active.

If you have an Opportunity in an Oil company fine, but if you don't, just go and teach. You will also gain from it.
Thanks for the advice bro. I really appreciate it.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by eusuph99: 9:52am On Jun 03, 2020
Please, has anyone tried out or know about DaVinci petroleum institute. I saw their advert on Instagram . I'm planning on doing one or two courses there after this lockdown. I would like to know if anybody has tried them out and full details about them. Thanks.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by omobamatrix: 6:42am On Jan 10, 2021
Icon4s:

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Olaolu2005(m): 11:47am On May 25, 2022
What are the present Geology Postgraduate scholarships that are open?
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Sergio101(m): 4:07am On May 04, 2023
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Job Is Ruining My Family / First Bank To Providus Bank Or Globus Bank / NNPC Sacked 850 Refinery Workers - NUPENG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.