Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? (842 Views)

Masquerade Converts To Christianity And Becomes An Evangelist In 6 Months(photo) / Is Jesus God? / Hussaini Mabera Takes TB Joshua To Court For Calling Jesus God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by pressplay411(m): 11:55am On May 28, 2017
Christianity is shrouded in so much controversies.
Only Christianity has sprouted millions of churches further divided in denominations all differing in doctrines and practices.
Why so much diversification and denominations?
It is selfish interests or simply the misinterpretation and misrepresentation of the bible?
One of the greatest controversies about the Bible us the question, Is Jesus God?
Some Bible scholars are convinced that not only is Jesus the Messiah prophesied but he is in fact God.
To this effect graven images are cast to represent his physical appearance which are worshipped in churches.

The bible outrightlly teaches that God condemns any form of bowing or kneeling to a graven image. Now hanging pictures of Jesus, sculptures of Mary while praying, worshiping and bowing down before them, is that not idolatry?

Pastors will never teach this but rather focus on preaching miracles and prosperity.

4 Likes

Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by AjahAgility: 8:26pm On Aug 11, 2017
From a sincere point of view? You can say that again brother, without criticism but with much tact.

2 Likes

Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by enilove(m): 2:28am On Aug 12, 2017
Yes , Jesus is God the Son.

No matter the number of denomination, one thing is certain , that is , the churches make use of the same book, the Bible and say that Jesus is God. We all have same faith in Jesus, except the satanic churches
set up by agent of the devil.

Jesus is God just like his Father . Unless you can prove that an offspring of a lion is not a lion.
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 12, 2017
I've always asked myself and others the simple question. why do we have so many denominations.

someone will grow up in a church, claim he receives a divine calling, instead of opening a branch of his church, he'd start a new church with a new name.

I believe the rationale for that sometimes is greed.
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by pressplay411(m): 10:13pm On Aug 15, 2017
enilove:
Yes , Jesus is God the Son.

No matter the number of denomination, one thing is certain , that is , the churches make use of the same book, the Bible and say that Jesus is God. We all have same faith in Jesus, except the satanic churches
set up by agent of the devil.

Jesus is God just like his Father . Unless you can prove that an offspring of a lion is not a lion.

So Mary gave birth to the creator of heaven and earth, her own creator?
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by hopefulLandlord: 10:24pm On Aug 15, 2017
Christians already believe in at least 2 gods. Each one, CLEARLY, with their own subjective morality, Yahweh and Jesus. Then they use the well-acknowledged nonsense of the trinity to proclaim that they are together one god because monotheism has a bigger dick than polytheism or something. (The holy spirit is some sort of mysterious brain virus / hatchet-man that keeps you indoctrinated and resistant of reality.) Theologians even often acknowledge that if you claim that you understand the trinity, then you don't understand the trinity. And that's because it doesn't make any freaking sense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 1:23am On Aug 16, 2017
pressplay411:
Christianity is shrouded in so much controversies.
Only Christianity has sprouted millions of churches further divided in denominations all differing in doctrines and practices.
Why so much diversification and denominations?
It is selfish interests or simply the misinterpretation and misrepresentation of the bible?
One of the greatest controversies about the Bible us the question, Is Jesus God?
Some Bible scholars are convinced that not only is Jesus the Messiah prophesied but he is in fact God.
To this effect graven images are cast to represent his physical appearance which are worshipped in churches.

The bible outrightlly teaches that God condemns any form of bowing or kneeling to a graven image. Now hanging pictures of Jesus, sculptures of Mary while praying, worshiping and bowing down before them, is that not idolatry?

Pastors will never teach this but rather focus on preaching miracles and prosperity.

your write-up accentuates that you are actually refering to the Catholic, to be precise.

these set öf people pretend to not see what's wrtitten in Exodus20. they've forgotten the words of Jesus in the gospel of John saying "The time is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship God in spirit and in truth"

These set of people went the extramile to worship the heart of Jesus and the immaculate heart of Mary and other objects of idolatory.

it was after the apparitions of Mary to some young canonised portuguese shepherds, in which this started and prompted the worship and adoration of the St Mary. (i'll open a thread on this).

they even went ahead to bring up an unbíblical man-made doctrine called purgatory.

However, i have a question concerning this Good News Translation. the bible seem to have some books that were excluded in other standard Bible versions like New King James Version and New International Version. books such as;
1. Sirach
2. Wisdom of Solomon
3. Judith
4. Maccabees
5. Esdras.

i know that the Good News Translation is mostly used by Roman Catholics and Anglicans. i found out that other denominations rarely uses such.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Auki: 7:05am On Aug 16, 2017
Christianity is actually polytheism. Don't mind the packaging.

The Creator of the heaven and earth, the lord of the throne of authority, is one God. He has no son, wife or any partner with Him, glory and high above is He from that which they falsely associate Him.

1 Like

Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by pressplay411(m): 7:48am On Aug 16, 2017
Jhaytee4all:

your write-up accentuates that you are actually refering to the Catholic, to be precise.

these set öf people pretend to not see what's wrtitten in Exodus20. they've forgotten the words of Jesus in the gospel of John saying "The time is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship God in spirit and in truth"

These set of people went the extramile to worship the heart of Jesus and the immaculate heart of Mary and other objects of idolatory.

it was after the apparitions of Mary to some young canonised portuguese shepherds, in which this started and prompted the worship and adoration of the St Mary. (i'll open a thread on this).

they even went ahead to bring up an unbíblical man-made doctrine called purgatory.

However, i have a question concerning this Good News Translation. the bible seem to have some books that were excluded in other standard Bible versions like New King James Version and New International Version. books such as;
1. Sirach
2. Wisdom of Solomon
3. Judith
4. Maccabees
5. Esdras.

i know that the Good News Translation is mostly used by Roman Catholics and Anglicans. i found out that other denominations rarely uses such.

Well said.
Its not exclusive to catholics alone. It's only less pronounced on others. Pentecostal are more guilty of car stickers, bottle water all embossed with images of the pastor or Jesus or Mary

1 Like

Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 16, 2017
joshuakdboy:
I've always asked myself and others the simple question. why do we have so many denominations.

someone will grow up in a church, claim he receives a divine calling, instead of opening a branch of his church, he'd start a new church with a new name.

I believe the rationale for that sometimes is greed.

It goes beyond greed,those churches are fulfilling the prophecy were false prophets shall spring forth.
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 16, 2017
pressplay411:

So Mary gave birth to the creator of heaven and earth, her own creator?
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.( 1 Cor 1:27) that's the answer to your question
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 16, 2017
Jhaytee4all:

1. Sirach
2. Wisdom of Solomon
3. Judith
4. Maccabees
5. Esdras.

Please leave Anglicans out of it just speak for your parish
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by sonmvayina(m): 10:26am On Aug 16, 2017
Christianity is idolatry, no two ways about it...it is a mockery and insult against the God almighty...

Everything God created is under his control, the devil is not an exception. All must bow and obey to the will of the creator..

The devil has no power or will outside of that God has given to him..and must be used within the will of God....

Jesus is just a roman creation to control the poor masses and stupid people..
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by sonmvayina(m): 10:32am On Aug 16, 2017
God is not a MAN or a human being according to the jews who are the authors of the old testament Num23:19-23 and responsible for both good and evil..isaiah 45:1-7

The Messiah of the old testament is coming to usher in an era of peace, where sword will be beaten to plough shares and man will learn of war no more.....has it happened? No..so the awaited Messiah has not come..

End of story.
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 16, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Christians already believe in at least 2 gods. Each one, CLEARLY, with their own subjective morality, Yahweh and Jesus. Then they use the well-acknowledged nonsense of the trinity to proclaim that they are together one god because monotheism has a bigger dick than polytheism or something. (The holy spirit is some sort of mysterious brain virus / hatchet-man that keeps you indoctrinated and resistant of reality.) Theologians even often acknowledge that if you claim that you understand the trinity, then you don't understand the trinity. And that's because it doesn't make any freaking sense.

The biblical term "Godhead" (theiotes) is used three times in Scripture, Acts 17:29; Romans 1:20; Colossians 2:9. The word “Trinity," which is the theological word Christians use to refer to the Godhead, is not found in Scripture.

·"Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device" (Acts 17:29).

· "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20)

· "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." (Colossians 2:9)

The doctrine states that the Godhead, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, consists of three distinct Persons, yet these three are one God. There are many arguments espoused by those that deny the Trinity, but the most prevalent is: How can God be One God and at the same time be three Persons?

The problem with that question is that it is based in ignorance of what God has said about Himself. The Bible, the Word of God, plainly states the plurality of God and that God is One God. To accept His Word means to believe what God has revealed. The truth of the Trinity is a revealed truth that is established in the credibility of God Himself.

In Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus gave His disciples the Great Commission, stating that they were to teach and baptize in the names of the Godhead, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Further 1 John 5:7 states "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." The fact God did not inspire the writers of Scripture to use the modern word "Trinity" does imply that it is not a biblical truth. However, there are many words and phrases that Christians use to express biblical doctrines that are not found in the Bible. One is the word "rapture." This word also is not found in Scripture, but the phrase “shall be caught up” (harpagēsometha) is used in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 and means to “catch away” or in Latin “rapiēmur”meaning to be snatched away. In fact, the word "Bible" is also not found in the Scriptures. Would we dismiss the existence of the Bible because the word is not found in Scripture?
Those that deny the Trinity are denying the Godhead. They argue that it is physically impossible for three distinct persons to be only one. This article will show that they are both right and wrong. They are right in the sense that it is impossible for us to explain how this can be a reality in our physical/material world. But they are wrong in denying that God is a Triune God. The approach of this paper will be first to authenticate the biblical doctrine by presenting biblical statements attesting to this truth.

One reason those who deny the Trinity do so is the Bible clearly teaches monotheism, meaning that God is One God. (Deut. 4:35-36, 6:4)

· “Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee: and upon earth he shewed thee his great fire; and thou heardest his words out of the midst of the fire.” (Deuteronomy 4:35-36)

· “And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:” (Deuteronomy 6:5-6)

· “Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.” (Isaiah 44:6)

· “I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.” (Isaiah 43:11)

Overwhelmingly, the Bible teaches the Trinitarian concept of one God existing as three persons. The Bible does not teach polytheism, which says that there are three separate Gods called the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Nor does the Bible say God is one person who took three forms or that the God the Father became the Son, who then became the Holy Spirit, as is taught by some false churches. The Bible does not teach that God is only one person or that Jesus is not God, but only God's procreated son. The word of God does not teach that Jesus was created.

The Bible specifically states that God is Spirit and was never a man.

· “God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?” (Numbers 23:19)

· “And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.” (1 Samuel 15:29)

The Bible further plainly states that Jesus Christ, being God, is eternal, as is the Father.The Apostle John states clearly that Jesus, the Word, was with God in the beginning of the Universe. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.” (John 1:1-4)

Jesus Himself plainly refers to eternity.

· “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.” (John 8:58)

Alfa and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. In the following verse the term Alpha and Omega are defined by God Himself by the phrase “the beginning and the end” (verse cool and “the first and the last” (verse 11).

· “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. . . . Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.” (Revelation 1:8, 11)

“And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.” (Revelation 21:6)

“I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.” (Revelation 22:13)
Genesis 11:7-8
"Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city."

Genesis 11:7-8 says the LORD scattered the antediluvians abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. God is spoken of in the plural (let "us" go down) and in the singular (Jehovah = “the existing One"wink at the same time. This passage summarizes the Bible's teaching that God is one, but exists in a plurality of three Persons.
Psalm 45:6-7

"Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre. Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows."

According to Hebrews 1:8-9, God the Father is speaking in Psalm 45, and He is referring to the Son as God. "But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows "(Heb. 1:8-9).

The question is: If the Son Himself was God, why did He address the Father as God? The Son addressed the Father as God for the same reason that the Father addressed the Son as God: because they are both God!
Isaiah 48:16-17
"Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me. Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go."

God the Father states He is the "Lord GOD; I am the Lord thy God." He then unmistakably further says He is thy "Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel." Isaiah 44:24 proclaims the Redeemer made Israel and the heavens, "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself." Both verses refer to the promised Messiah who is both Jesus and God. Jesus is the Redeemer. The LORD (Jehovah) states that He is the Creator. Therefore, the Bible is saying that it is God (Jehovah) the Father who is the Creator. At the same time, the Bible is stating that Jesus Christ is the Creator. (See John 1:3-4, Eph. 3:9, Col. 1: 16)
Jeremiah 23:5-6

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS."

The verse identifies the person speaking as being "the Lord" (Jehovah) and Jehovah is talking about another person who, in the future, will come to earth. David's descendent, a King who will reign, prosper and will judge the earth. Jehovah then gives His name as “JEHOVAH OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS." This is a reference to the promised Messiah, who will be a man and a descendant of David. God the Father identifies Himself in the Old Testament as "Jehovah" and here He says the Messiah's name is also called "Jehovah" (insert comma) which is the sacred name of God. It would be blasphemy to call any man "Jehovah" yet this is plainly the name by which the Messiah would be called. There can be no mistake that God the Father is saying the Messiah Jesus is God.
Isaiah 9:6

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

This is another prophecy foretelling the birth of the Messiah. Note that the Messiah is called "The mighty God,

1 Like

Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 16, 2017
asuustrike2009:
Please leave Anglicans out of it just speak for your parish
I didn't say anything. Disheartening. But, I'll respect your words...
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by pressplay411(m): 9:28am On Aug 17, 2017
asuustrike2009:

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.( 1 Cor 1:27) that's the answer to your question

Honestly if you think that verse applies to my question, then I give up. Cos apparently you're calling your God foolish. I don't worship such God.
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by bloodofthelamb(m): 9:36am On Aug 17, 2017
BELOVE! YES, CHRIST JESUS HUMBLED HIMSELF BECAUSE OF ME AND YOU...IF GOD[CHRIST JESUS] DID NOT DO WHAT HE DID, MANKIND WOULD HAVE BEEN LOST TO THE DEVIL FOREVER...THANK YOU JESUS!
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by bloodofthelamb(m): 9:44am On Aug 17, 2017
GOD IS NOW A MAN, CHRIST JESUS...OUT OF LOVE FOR MAN, GOD THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE BECAME A MAN IN OTHER TO REDEEM MAN...BLESSED BE GOD FOREVER!
Re: Christianity And Idolatry; Is Jesus God? by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 17, 2017
pressplay411:

Honestly if you think that verse applies to my question, then I give up. Cos apparently you're calling your God foolish. I don't worship such God.
It then means you don't understand the above scripture either. Go study it critically then you would get what am saying

(1) (Reply)

Why do youths die these days? / Rccg Sunday School Manual(10/09/17) True Christian Worship / OFM@14 Apostle Johnson Suleman Celebrates In Grand Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.