Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,805 members, 7,862,663 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:22 PM

5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver (24668 Views)

Abuja Taxi Driver Strips Naked After His Car Was Impounded By Security Officials / Taxi Driver Manually Operating His Wiper During A Heavy Rain In Port Harcourt / How A Taxi Driver Made A Lady Depress Brake So He Can Step Out To Fight (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 28, 2017
A lot of pple don't know that sitting at at back seat, forming owners corner annoys these drivers. I've realised it a long time ago and stopped.
My MD/CEO who always sit beside his driver told me never to sit at d back of a driver because it's just pride that makes no sense. He said the most comfortable seat in a car is the front seat because u can adjust it to any position

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by myk2mic: 1:46pm On May 28, 2017
glossy6:
be prayerful while in those cabs.

I ones entered a taxi that I flagged down on the road years ago. We agreed on N800, I entered and tried striking a conversation with the Baba but he remained quiet. Somehow, I was forcing myself to remain awake because I found myself drowsy. The taxi driver drove past Toyota bus stop and didn't divert to airport road (coming from mile 2 end) & when I queried him, he responded that he wanted to enter the airport through Maryland.

Long story cut short, I counted 8k instead of 800 and gave to the Baba when we got to the airport. It was at the point of paying for my ticket that my eyes cleared.

Ahh, he left airport rd nd took Maryland even he was coming from mile 2 area.didn't u suspect that something was wrong
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by DonaTee(f): 1:55pm On May 28, 2017
BroZuma:
grin grin grin grin

Make sure you greet properly...especially for those Baba.

Dats how 1 silly lagos keke man refused to help me put my load in d boot.
honestly d load was heavy n I dragged it to dat point. Lifting it was just not possible.
By the time i was through with him he came down n we lifted d load.

got to my destination he started again. How he can't bring d load down. I sat der silently waiting for him to make a nasty move. 15mins after wasting his time he brought down d load.

my conclusion THEY ARE VERY LAZY N LOUSY. fyi its wasn't an igbo man. If it were they do there work provided you pay!
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by calberian: 1:58pm On May 28, 2017
MARKone:
A trip of #50, you give them #1000 without telln them b4 u enter. Niqqers be like

Lagos taxi. #50?

Her you really shwore?
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by ipobarecriminals: 2:05pm On May 28, 2017
cool See my darling pijo 504 of those better by far years
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by visijo(m): 2:06pm On May 28, 2017
what of if i want enter from ajegunle to isolo, i go still need them ? Or na for airport only taxi drivers Dem de stay?
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 28, 2017
BoomBoom101:
A lot of pple don't know that sitting at at back seat, forming owners corner annoys these drivers. I've realised it a long time ago and stopped.
My MD/CEO who always sit beside his driver told me never to sit at d back of a driver because it's just pride that makes no sense. He said the most comfortable seat in a car is the front seat because u can adjust it to any position
Whose business is it if it annoys them? Only in Nigeria.
They're being paid for the service, where the passenger sits is none of their business. I have also seen drivers that don't like one sitting in the front,they feel you'll monitor their driving closely.

Pride indeed... the little things you all consider pride in this country sha cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by stuffs4me(m): 2:29pm On May 28, 2017
BoomBoom101:

Your MD/CEO is very wrong. The best position in a vehicle is the back seat at the right side. Its not pride, It is the safest place in the vehicle. I don't see why I should be afraid of a driver I'm paying to drive me arroind. From that position, you can see the dials of the vehicle and you can easily monitor how you driver is driving you.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by Nobody: 2:31pm On May 28, 2017
stuffs4me:

Your MD/CEO is very wrong. The best position in a vehicle is the back seat at the right side. Its not pride, It is the safest place in the vehicle. I don't see why I should be afraid of a driver I'm paying to drive me around. From that position, you can see the dials of the vehicle and you can easily monitor how you driver is driving you.
I tire for Nigerian mentality o.

You pay the driver, you're not rude to him _you don't assault him, yet you still can't get the liberty to sit where you deem fit without it bruising his ego? ?? The driver is the proud one!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by stainless239(f): 3:52pm On May 28, 2017
Wuzyurdaddy:
I took a Lagos taxi cab once, the ones with the yellow and black swag. I told him where I was headed, from airport to Isolo. We settled for #1,500, on getting to my crib I brought out the #1,500 just to hear him say "oga na #4,500 we talk na" got to be very careful with those men.

so wat happened later?
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by FRANKLAD1: 4:01pm On May 28, 2017
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]You neva knw anythn, lagos drivers go teach u sense..
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 4:53pm On May 28, 2017
stainless239:

so wat happened later?

Gave him 2k instead of the #4,500 he insisted we bargained on. Crazy day
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 4:54pm On May 28, 2017
KennyID17:

U sef, ikeja to isolo #1500, when no b Uber grin cheesy grin cheesy

My sweet mouth is legendary.. grin
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by KennyID17(m): 5:15pm On May 28, 2017
Wuzyurdaddy:

My sweet mouth is legendary.. grin

For ya mind cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by stainless239(f): 5:29pm On May 28, 2017
Wuzyurdaddy:

Gave him 2k instead of the #4,500 he insisted we bargained on. Crazy day

lol
fair enough

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by dangotesmummy: 5:38pm On May 28, 2017
The best thing to do to them is that before you enter make sure you agree on the price and if he says 1500 hold the exact money one thousand naira note and 500 naira. Don't give him 2k and say change me da? They'll start threatening, begging or insulting. Some will even zoom off with your money

And whilst in the car don't entertain or encourage any discussion with him.many deliberately do that so that you will loose guard and be carried away with the jisting so that he will carry you beyond your destination and insist you should pay higher. If you say but this is not where I said I'm going, they'll start getting aggressive and insultive.

If you're on phone and you finish talking and then he says ejo mofedasi oro teso Lori phone. Moripe ebayan soro ,tell him in a polite tone please face what you're driving. I wasn't talking to you

Note that this guys are liars,angry,confrontational and aggressive so you have to be very wise.never encourage any unnecessary familiarity

And also do not move around at night if you're not mobile. Cab men might take advantage of you financially because they know you're desperate to get home.they might even rape or kidnap you.be careful. Many of them are frustrated.

That's why when I enter cab and we agree on 2k and then drops me to my destination and then tells me madam na 4k I tell you.I will get down and raise alarm to attract the attention of people who are eager to lynch him or transfer their frustration on him.I will say this man dey harass me o.he lie on top my head because he see say I be woman. I tell am 2k he con dey lie say he tell me 4k.he say he go park and twist my neck in the car. Trust me they won't even wait to hear his side before they begin to attack him so he will just jejely collect the money and take off

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by dangotesmummy: 5:48pm On May 28, 2017
BoomBoom101:
well I don't see it that way.the only danger I see there is that he will be using the mirror on top of the windscreen in front of the car to be monitoring you to see whatever you're doing or whether you're sleeping so that he can take you beyond your destination and say oga you no tell me say we don reach where we dey go and charge you higher,God help you if you don't pay,if you're a man you'll get beaten and if you're a woman he'll shout asewo on you
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by dangotesmummy: 5:52pm On May 28, 2017
stainless239:

lol
fair enough
what's fair.he simply took advantage of him.if its 2k that was your agreement tell him 2k and if he's still insisting on collecting extra shout oleeeee,thiefffff,ritualist.trust me he'll only insult you and take off
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by dangotesmummy: 5:57pm On May 28, 2017
DonaTee:

Dats how 1 silly lagos keke man refused to help me put my load in d boot.
honestly d load was heavy n I dragged it to dat point. Lifting it was just not possible.
By the time i was through with him he came down n we lifted d load.

got to my destination he started again. How he can't bring d load down. I sat der silently waiting for him to make a nasty move. 15mins after wasting his time he brought down d load.

my conclusion THEY ARE VERY LAZY N LOUSY. fyi its wasn't an igbo man. If it were they do there work provided you pay!
I think its pride.they feel

1. You sha carried the load from wherever you were coming from till you saw the cab man,why then should he carry it to the boot for you

2.how can I carry load for a "woman"

However if you pay for your load in the booth,you have a right to tell him to put it in the booth for you and bring it down

It's annoying how cab men behave as if they're doing you a favor and it's not your money you're paying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by dangotesmummy: 6:03pm On May 28, 2017
PaperLace:

Whose business is it if it annoys them? Only in Nigeria.
They're being paid for the service, where the passenger sits is none of their business. I have also seen drivers that don't like one sitting in the front,they feel you'll monitor their driving closely.

Pride indeed... the little things you all consider pride in this country sha cheesy

I have entered a commercial bus where I entered the front seat then the driver said madam go sit for back and so I said this is where I want to sit.after all I saw sit in the back before I chose to sit here, isn't it my money I'm paying? Then he said woman no dey sit for front. We no dey allow woman sit for front. I said why?I Sidon for your head abi I go hold your hand when you dey drive? Then he said woman dey too dey disturb for front. I said I don't understand. Then he said if he's driving, and he knows a woman is sitting beside him his body will be doing him one kind and he won't be able to concentrate on what he's driving. I just shook my head and got down from the bus
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by stainless239(f): 6:03pm On May 28, 2017
dangotesmummy:
what's fair.he simply took advantage of him.if its 2k that was your agreement tell him 2k and if he's still insisting on collecting extra shout oleeeee,thiefffff,ritualist.trust me he'll only insult you and take off

lol
no vex na
e no go happen again
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by dangotesmummy: 6:05pm On May 28, 2017
grin

I no vex.I don take chil pill but e dey vex me when Nigerians like taking advantage of others because they know they're in a situation
stainless239:

lol
no vex na
e no go happen again
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 28, 2017
dangotesmummy:
I have entered a commercial bus where I entered the front seat then the driver said madam go sit for back and so I said this is where I want to sit.after all I saw sit in the back before I chose to sit here, isn't it my money I'm paying? Then he said woman no dey sit for front. We no dey allow woman sit for front. I said why?I Sidon for your head abi I go hold your hand when you dey drive? Then he said woman dey too dey disturb for front. I said I don't understand. Then he said if he's driving, and he knows a woman is sitting beside him his body will be doing him one kind and he won't be able to concentrate on what he's driving. I just shook my head and got down from the bus
Na this part dey me important, how body dey do am abeg?

When I was serving, there was this driver in my favourite transport company that doesn't carry women in the front too. His own reason was that they freak out and start shouting "Jesus Jesus" cheesy in the event of any dangerous swerving...etc.
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by stainless239(f): 6:59pm On May 28, 2017
dangotesmummy:
grin

I no vex.I don take chil pill but e dey vex me when Nigerians like taking advantage of others because they know they're in a situation

no vex again
na human nature na
it is bound to happen
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by AyamConfidence(m): 8:35pm On May 28, 2017
Wuzyurdaddy:
I took a Lagos taxi cab once, the ones with the yellow and black swag. I told him where I was headed, from airport to Isolo. We settled for #1,500, on getting to my crib I brought out the #1,500 just to hear him say "oga na #4,500 we talk na" got to be very careful with those men.
I don die grin grin cheesy

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by Rainmaker69(m): 10:03pm On May 28, 2017
Mek dem dey dia na. See customer rules and regulations. What happened to the customer is king? Na Uber and Taxify go humble dem. Kontinu
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by Mobsicles: 10:17pm On May 28, 2017
Opinionated:
Lagos Taxi cab drivers are huge lifesavers for commuters in the city ,especially when the commuters are first-time visitors, who do not have the muscle required to navigate Lagos city via public transport systems. With the constant traffic and bustling around the city, however, the job of the taxi driver can be quite arduous and back-breaking. Considering the nature of their jobs, there are certain things they have learned to overlook…however, there are also something that they cannot just condone from passengers.
Looking to patronize a Lagos taxi driver and curious to know these things they don’t condone? Read on to discover Jumia Travel’s tips on 5 things not to do to a Lagos taxi driver.
Criticize the appearance of his vehicle

No matter what you do, refrain from making negative comments as regards the appearance or functionality of the driver’s vehicle while you are in it. Most of the Lagos taxis are driven by men who pride themselves in being experts when it comes to handling vehicles, and so, criticizing their cabs is usually seen as a personal insult. Also, pointing to a lack in the hygiene of its interiors is a no-no. Some of the drivers can go as far throwing a dramatic feat or even ask you to get down from their vehicles. To avoid this, keep your opinions to yourself unless you are quite certain your life is in danger. Also, if you cannot stand it, to not get in the cab get down while you can.

Ignore their instructions regarding the display of PDA in the back of the cab

Sometimes emotions can be overwhelming and passengers impatiently express them. This is very common in Lagos, especially at night when most passengers have a bit alcohol in the mix from night outs and parties. While some taxi drivers in other parts of the country, hearing and seeing everything, stay mute. Lagos taxi drivers rarely condone it. The nice ones will nag you with advice until you get your destination, killing the mood anyways, while others could ask you to get off, publicly shaming you if possible. It is very easy to avoid this, all you need to do is: keep your hands to yourselves and exercise some control.

Give the wrong or incomplete address

This is a huge trap most people fall into. If you are going to enter a Lagos taxi driver’s vehicle, be very particular when listing the address of your destination. Give all the details. Most Lagos drivers are not lenient, especially when your destination turns out to be a bit further than what was listed on them at the initial stance. These drivers will kick up a fuss and insist that you increase the fare. Worse is if you do not agree on a fare before you enter the cab, chances are you will be milked dry. Lagos taxis do not run on meters and fares are entirely subject to the driver’s discretion. If you must get a taxi, ensure you give the exact details, if possible, including the exact route you want the driver to take. Also, conclude on a fare before getting on.

Treat the driver like your servant

Most taxi cab drivers in modern times are not very particular about your attitude to them, they tend to detach themselves from your situation, as long as you pay whatever fare is charged and you do not actively cause him or his car harm. However, most taxi drivers in Lagos tend to take an exception to passengers with a bad attitude. They tend to have certain expectations such as; expecting salutation, respectful gestures and voice tone and more. Performing actions that suggest that you disregard or disrespect them creates a charged atmosphere, making it hard to communicate with the driver. Bottomline: while you are in the cab, your life is literally in the hand of the driver, it shouldn’t hurt to stay polite.

You ask them to break the law

Thanks to the traffic situation in Lagos, most people are always looking for ways to avert the congestion, and in doing so, they tend to break certain traffic rules. They drive on one-ways, disregard traffic light and drive on wrong ways. These soft traffic rules are frequently broken in Lagos, especially during rush hours or at night when most of the LASMA officials have close for the day. While most cab drivers on the island even take the initiative to commit these soft felonies, cab drivers on the mainland hardly engage in such dalliance. They take pride in understanding the traffic rules and they also understand the penalties attached. They, therefore, get really aggravated when passengers ask them to break any these rules, no matter how negligible.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-things-not-lagos-taxi-driver/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Has anyone seen this?I

Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by dangotesmummy: 2:06am On May 29, 2017
PaperLace:

Na this part dey me important, how body dey do am abeg?

When I was serving, there was this driver in my favourite transport company that doesn't carry women in the front too. His own reason was that they freak out and start shouting "Jesus Jesus" cheesy in the event of any dangerous swerving...etc.

lol
Re: 5 Things Not To Do To A Lagos Taxi Driver by glossy6(f): 5:06pm On May 30, 2017
myk2mic:

Ahh, he left airport rd nd took Maryland even he was coming from mile 2 area.didn't u suspect that something was wrong

I was struggling to keep awake. I guess he must have charmed me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sand Filling Commences On Portions Of Landmark Beach Resort / 23 Dead, 22 Injured As Truck Somersaults In Niger / The Reconstruction Of Mile 110-Ring Road In Oyo (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.