Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Lamb With Spinach Sauce - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Lamb With Spinach Sauce (1920 Views)

What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach / What Name Is SPINACH Called In Our Local Markets? / Yoruba Name For Spinach? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lamb With Spinach Sauce by jane1: 7:47pm On Jan 16, 2010
Ingredients
700 g stewing lamb , cubed
1 / 2 tsp ginger powder
1 / 2 tsp dried thyme
2 tbs olive oil
1  chopped onion
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs tomato sauce
1 / 2 red chill crushed (optional)
60 cl stock cube or water
125g chopped fresh spinach
salt and freshly ground pepper

Place lamb cubes in a bowl season with ginger, thyme, salt and marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic and let them melt over low heat.
Add lamb, tomato sauce, if desired, red chili .reduce the heat to  medium  about 5 minutes, stirring often, then add the cubes or water. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, until  the meat is tendre.Add spinach and stir it.leave it steam 8 minutes until the sauce thickens. Serve hot with boiled rice or vegetables.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by dani1luv: 2:49pm On Jan 17, 2010
:d
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by iice(f): 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2010
I don't know why but me and lamb aren't so good friends.
It has a peculiar taste and my taste buds are very sensitive. . .it's easy for me to distinguish tastes.

But that recipe looks yummy cheesy
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by spikedcylinder: 6:37pm On Jan 18, 2010
Bookmarking. I'll tell you how it goes. cheesy
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by mohawkchic(f): 7:30pm On Jan 19, 2010
~I Like mine w/ fried chicken & beef. . .with whole or chopped leaf frozen spinach. . .
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by spikedcylinder: 6:02pm On Jan 20, 2010
I did it! It was fantastic.
I'd post a picture but I'm too full at the moment. grin
Thanks. smiley
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by mohawkchic(f): 3:39am On Feb 02, 2010
~These are the two ways i usually cook mine

Meat Ball Spinach Stew

Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Serves: 4

Ingredients

•  Whole or chopped leaf Frozen spinach
•  1 Onion finely Diced/blended
•  Pepper
• Chicken or Beef stock seasoning
• Ground black/White pepper
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1/2 tbsp tomato paste/puree
• Oil for shallow frying
• 300g Jasmine rice
• Beef balls(already seasoned)/Mince beef(You can season and mould into meat balls)/Skinned Boneless Chicken (Optional)
• 4 tablespoons olive oil

• Season beef/chicken/meat balls then fry until brown. Remove or . . . .
• Saute the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes, then add the spinach & stir for a few minutes until the spinach wilts.
• Add the tomato puree
• Reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes
• Add the beef balls/chicken
• Cover the lid & continue to simmer till spinach is wilted.

•You can choose to add the meat,chicken while it simmers,i prefer adding mine just before i take the pot off the cooker!

Lamb & Spinach Pilaf

Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Serves: 4

Ingredients
• Olive oil
• 2 lamb leg steaks, cut into chunks/chicken
• 1 onion , sliced
• 2 garlic cloves , crushed
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 300g Jasmine rice
• 550ml chicken stock
• 100g spinach

• Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan, add the lamb/stripped chicken & brown quickly all over. Add the onion & garlic & cook for 5 minutes until softened then stir in the spices & rice. Pour over the stock, bring to a simmer & cover with a tight-fitting lid.

• Turn the heat down & cook gently until all the stock has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir through the spinach for the last minute of cooking until wilted.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 4:35am On Feb 23, 2010
inyamma! who ate that?  grin meatballs don't look good in stew.

Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 23, 2010
chipmunkey:

lol! it does look like vomit or cow's diarrhoea  tongue tongue but i bet it was tasty. there's lots of stuff we eat that'd normally look like crap like beans porridge, or gbegiri grin
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 12:40pm On Feb 23, 2010
know some food that don't look so good taste great. While some that look so appealing don't really have an equal taste. I guess that's one of the wonders of cookery. But for me, the look appeals to my appetite more, and dats why Amala will always be a big NO for me. No matter the soup it's coming with, Just don't like the blackiness.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 23, 2010
^^ stop acting local.

Is it blacker than chocolate?

I tire for ignorant Nigerians trying to be funky.

this is dark:

[img]http://sunbathe.files./2009/02/chocolatecake.jpg[/img]

likewise this:

do you have a problem with the black color here?
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 23, 2010
tpia.:

^^ stop acting local.
Is it blacker than chocolate?
I tire for ignorant Nigerians trying to be funky.
this is dark:
[img]http://sunbathe.files./2009/02/chocolatecake.jpg[/img]
likewise this:

do you have a problem with the black color here?
Chei, so i'm ignorant and local, chei! na wa o. Anyway, i'll forgive you even before you apologise.
But stop judging people on here and wherever you may be doesn't make you better than a LOCAL Nigerian,  The Cake looks nice and appetizing anyway.
Not my fault that i don't like amala. i prefer the white morsels. It just don't look appealing to me no matter what it tastes like.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 23, 2010
^^ well, you dont like amala because of it's "blackness".

but you eat chocolate, blackberries and drink tea in spite of their "blackness/darkness"- they're considered "posh" by you.

[s]not to mention you probably own or hope to own a blackberry phone.[/s]

now, what's the main difference between amala and the other black colored foods? One is made by black people while the other is made by oyibos.

and you want to be defensive?

Nobody is saying you have to like amala but to start putting on airs because its dark colored, is simply laughable.

Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 10:39pm On Feb 23, 2010
@Mohawkchick,

Do you add any other additional spices like salt, curry, thyme or black pepper to the Lamb & Spinach Pilaf
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by spikedcylinder: 8:36am On Feb 24, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

@Mohawkchick,

Do you add any other additional spices like salt, curry, thyme or black pepper to the Lamb & Spinach Pilaf

When I made mine, I used basmati rice and added spices when frying the meat but not to the rice itself.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 24, 2010
tpia.:

^^ well, you dont like amala because of it's "blackness".
but you eat chocolate, blackberries and drink tea in spite of their "blackness/darkness"- they're considered "posh" by you.
[s]not to mention you probably own or hope to own a blackberry phone.[/s]
now, what's the main difference between amala and the other black colored foods? One is made by black people while the other is made by oyibos.
and you want to be defensive?
Nobody is saying you have to like amala but to start putting on airs because its dark colored, is simply laughable.

You have a point, but i don't like coffee or tea either. The point i was trying to make is that the look and feel os some kind of food adds to the appeal. How i wish you understand what i mean.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 24, 2010
spikedcylinder:

When I made mine, I used basmati rice and added spices when frying the meat but not to the rice itself.
Fanks babes kiss
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by spikedcylinder: 12:01pm On Feb 24, 2010
Yw. kiss smiley
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 24, 2010
chipmunkey:

You have a point, but i don't like coffee or tea either. The point i was trying to make is that the look and feel os some kind of food adds to the appeal. How i wish you understand what i mean.

the issue of amala has been dealt with over and over again on this forum. Some say it looks like bird poo, others say they just dont like the appearance ie its blackness.

My point is every food cant look the same. The color of food is a code showing what nutrients or minerals it contains. The white colored food you're eating may also have a housefly in it- there's no way of telling if push comes to shove.

I understand what you mean but amala isnt the only dark food in Nigeria. Edi kaikang is also dark but I rarely hear excessive criticism of it.

I'm 100% sure if whites start eating amala the entire Nigeria will start singing its praises.

stockfish has a bad smell but do you hear the majority of Nigerians abusing it? No, because its imported from overseas.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by mohawkchic(f): 12:14am On Feb 26, 2010
chipmunkey:

~Say it aint so!! Might not look good but it SoOoo tastes yummy!! Good thing "belleh nor get looking glass"!
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by mohawkchic(f): 12:19am On Feb 26, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

@Mohawkchick,

~Yeah I do. . .no curry tho. . .not to say if yu like in in yours you cant add it on there
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by mohawkchic(f): 12:21am On Feb 26, 2010
spikedcylinder:

~You ate it all w/o sharing a pic even!! Tut tut
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by funkybaby(f): 12:22pm On Feb 26, 2010
I do like lamb.
Will most def try this recipee this weekend.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by spikedcylinder: 11:59am On Mar 01, 2010
Aha! When there's food in front of me, a camera is the last thing on my mind. grin
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 01, 2010
Ok its not "Hello Lamb and spinach pilaf and goodbye Fried and jollof rice yet" grin grin I tried it, it was ok but I think I hate lamb shocked I will try it with turkey, chicken and beef next and give you my verdict grin.
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by spikedcylinder: 2:38pm On Mar 01, 2010
^^^
Calm down. cheesy
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 3:14am On Mar 02, 2010
Uhmmm I will try again with chicken but if its not successful, I will hunt you and MohawkC down and make you lot pay grin grin grin
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by mohawkchic(f): 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Ok its not "Hello Lamb and spinach pilaf and goodbye Fried and jollof rice yet" grin grin I tried it, it was ok but I think I hate lamb shocked I will try it with turkey, chicken and beef next and give you my verdict grin.

Ebonyeyes:

Uhmmm I will try again with chicken but if its not successful, I will hunt you and MohawkC down and make you lot pay grin grin grin

~Oh Bugger!!I knew i shud have stated some kind of disclaimer! Me like my Pilaf w/well seasoned cubed beef/shredded chicken. . .you shud prolly just do it the way you'd like it. . .do your own fusion. . .
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 7:27pm On Mar 02, 2010
Yes your disclaimer should say "YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE THIS MEAL SO IM NOT LIABLE" grin grin
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by mohawkchic(f): 7:46pm On Mar 02, 2010
~I hereby endorse it as so written by you
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by Nobody: 3:11am On Mar 03, 2010
grin grin ;DI honestly think its was the strange taste of the lamb. I will try ordinary beef next time. smiley
Re: Lamb With Spinach Sauce by mafolayomi(f): 4:58pm On Mar 08, 2010
funny enough, we do have white amala, and also tastes gr8, so if u do not like d black one because of d colour, u can try d white one smiley.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Remember This Biscuit? / How To Prepare Cherry Cheesecake / Happy Birthday QUEEN ELIZABETH Iya Charlie II

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.